Minimum Weight

Standing Granby

I’m sure this question has been asked and answer several times, but I can’t seem to find the answer:

what is the lightest one is allowed to weigh to wrestle 106 here in Ohio? Is there a minimum weight or is it just based on the body fat measurement?

There is no minimum weight for 106. This was an issue I had last season as I had a kid weighing 92 lbs throughout the season and worried if he was able to wrestle 106, every official I talked to said there was no minimum.

There is no minimum weight for 106. This was an issue I had last season as I had a kid weighing 92 lbs throughout the season and worried if he was able to wrestle 106, every official I talked to said there was no minimum.
Coach, have they changed the rules? Back in the 80’s we use to have to have our underweight 103 chug water to make the minimum-10 lbs? At least that’s what I think it was. The OHSAA probably changed it when they went from either the 98 lb weight to the 103 then to 106?

They must have changed the rules. The only weight class that has a weight minimum in the rule book is the 285 class that has a minimum weight of 215. There is no listed minimum for 106.

Coach, have they changed the rules? Back in the 80’s we use to have to have our underweight 103 chug water to make the minimum-10 lbs? At least that’s what I think it was. The OHSAA probably changed it when they went from either the 98 lb weight to the 103 then to 106?
Bro..."back in the 80's..." I was gonna say how old you are, but there wasn't even a 103lb class when I wrestled. :censored:

The minimum for 103 pounds went away (at least per the Rule Book) in 95-96.

In the 94-95 Rule Book, there was still this listed under Rule 4-4-2
"The minimum weight for a 103 pound contestant is 88 pounds. The minimum for a 103 pound contestant who wishes to wrestle in the 112 pound weight class is 97 pounds".

That paragraph was no longer listed in 95-96.

My son started out as a 92-93lb 103 in the season of 2008-09 Won 3 matches total out of 29 turned around and won 20 his Sophomore year so tell your son not to get discouraged he will take his lumps.

We went to St Ed's for a Quad that had Poland Seminary , Blair Academy .

He wrestled at the time the #1, #2 and #4 ranked in the country , Well he was on the mat for a few minutes with them.LOL Dominic Malone and Mark Grey and maybe Gus Sako from Ed's.
That was before we even in went to the D2 State Duals at SPG.

At the Sectionals he won 2 matches and ended up 4th and a Regional Q

Point is keep encouraging him no matter the outcomes it eventually pays off.

My son started out as a 92-93lb 103 in the season of 2008-09 Won 3 matches total out of 29 turned around and won 20 his Sophomore year so tell your son not to get discouraged he will take his lumps.

He wrestled at the time the #1, #2 and #4 ranked in the country , Well he was on the mat for a few minutes with them.LOL Dominic Malone and Mark Grey and maybe Gus Sako from Ed's.

100% agree. I had a freshman who had wrestled at 80 in 8th grade. Did everything to get him bigger in the hopes of weighing 100 in 9th. After a full breakfast, weighed in at 100.2 for first tourney ... success! Went 13-11 that season, pretty much the definition of "average." Luckily never wrestled 3 of the top 4 in country in one day! Ended up a state champ 3 years later. Not too shabby!
Younger brother, similar deal. 80 in 8th grade, wrestled at 98 in Freshman tourneys in 9th, plus 7-7 in some varsity matches at 106 (includes one "sacrificial lamb" loss to 113 SC in a dual). Then 3x SQ thereafter. Patience! (Easy to say now ...)

Lucas Byrd was underweight 106lber his freshman year.

They must have changed the rules. The only weight class that has a weight minimum in the rule book is the 285 class that has a minimum weight of 215. There is no listed minimum for 106.
106 no ,all others have a minimum weight with growth as well. Can't be a 140 and wrestling 182. 285 is 215 plus 2 growth once it's added in season.

106 no ,all others have a minimum weight with growth as well. Can't be a 140 and wrestling 182. 285 is 215 plus 2 growth once it's added in season.

Correct. You can wrestle one weight class above where you weighed in at. This is why there is the specified minimum for 285 since you can weigh in at 220 while only weighing 200 pounds.

Lucas Byrd was underweight 106lber his freshman year.

It's a tough deal being an undersized frosh, but I tell my kids in that boat to remain patient, keep training, and it will all pay off. Puberty is the great equalizer, and some kids hit it early, while others later. Eventually, when their bodies catch up to their skills & techniques they can make huge jumps if they stay the course and are not discouraged by taking their lumps. Some of the early bloomers peak in wrestling early too. It's fun to look at old Fargo brackets and seeing some big names wrestling 88 & 94lbs as Cadets. There's always a lot of talent in the lightweights and it kills me whenever the subject of weight class reductions is brought up, the discussion almost always begins cutting lower weights. These guys grow- just ask David Taylor, Kyle Dake, Logan Steiber, Sam Latona, Lucas Byrd, Codie Cuerbo, Marlon Yarbourough, Stevo Poulin........

Last edited:
Then you are ready to get back into officiating! Remember that I am old enough to remember when you did it.
I think Jodi Chesboro and I took our test together. 92ish wow, Jim, I’m not sure I could move around the mat like I use to. Sure do miss it though.

It's a tough deal being an undersized frosh, but I tell my kids in that boat to remain patient, keep training, and it will all pay off. Puberty is the great equalizer, and some kids hit it early, while others later. Eventually, when their bodies catch up to their skills & techniques they can make huge jumps if they stay the course and are not discouraged by taking their lumps. Some of the early bloomers peak in wrestling early too. It's fun to look at old Fargo brackets and seeing some big names wrestling 88 & 94lbs as Cadets. There's always a lot of talent in the lightweights and it kills me whenever the subject of weight class reductions is brought up, the discussion almost always begins cutting lower weights. These guys grow- just ask David Taylor, Kyle Dake, Logan Steiber, Sam Latona, Lucas Byrd, Codie Cuerbo, Marlon Yarbourough, Stevo Poulin........
Hayden Zillmer won FS/GR titles at Fargo at 84 lbs, was an NCAA All-American at 184, and is now one of the top wrestlers at 97 kg (213.8 lb). One of the craziest weight trajectories I've ever heard of.

1617368001089.png
1617368488839.png

Hayden Zillmer won FS/GR titles at Fargo at 84 lbs, was an NCAA All-American at 184, and is now one of the top wrestlers at 97 kg (213.8 lb). One of the craziest weight trajectories I've ever heard of.

Did not know that. That's awesome!

Cadet - 84
1st - Hayden Zillmer, Minnesota
2nd - Jade Rauser, Montana
3rd - Brenan Lyon, Michigan
4th - Jacoby Bergeron, Minnesota
5th - Josh Martinez, Washington
6th - Anthony Leonard, California
7th - Jake Schramm, Illinois
8th - Nick Clobes, Minnesota

"It's been well documented that you have grown a lot from the time you were a Cadet-age wrestler to now competing on the senior level. You won your first Fargo title at 84 pounds and now you're competing at 202 pounds. It's not typical for wrestlers to grow that much. What has that body growth done for your development as a wrestler?

Zillmer:
I felt like when I was growing up I was never developed yet. I couldn't catch up to my body. I kind of feel like I'm starting to catch up to my body a little bit. I think wrestling as a little guy helped me a lot. Just the way a little guy attacks. There's a lot more speed involved and athleticism. I think it really helps. I kind of still had that same attack style. I'm just attacking bigger guys. It was a crazy process. My dad is really big, so I knew it was going to happen. I just didn't realize it was going to be that big of a change. "

Last edited:
One of the biggest weight jumps in Ohio recently has to be Nolan Neves from Graham. He wrestled 132 at JH State in 2018 and wrestled 285 this past season for Graham.