Minerva Lions: State of the Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBC 1988

Minerva fans tend to "hi jack" the Eastern Conference Buckeye thread. The program needs to be discussed since they are at 39 losses in a row and will likely end the season with a 40 game losing streak. However, I think we need to take this to it's own thread and not overtake the EBC thread.

I truly wish there was a easy solution for Minerva unfortunately there isn't. I think the first step is and I got blasted for this in an earlier thread. Find a few cupcakes. Try some division V , Vl or even a Vll school to play even if it means travel. Try a Canadian team. Try Sebring, Waterloo, anyone no matter the size to break this streak. Second I don't know how long the current coach has been there but it needs overhauled from the top down. Hire a First of time head coach no matter there age. A Young guy. A young guy that will bring some excitement to the program. A young guy who will improve the off-season weightlifting. Drastic times call for drastic measures. I know this is much easier Said then done but it's time to move forward. Like I mentioned earlier some fans we're upset about me mentioning a few easy teams but I think if Minerva can break this streak it will add some juice into the program. This suggestion is no way a knock on Minerva. I don't think the Lions leaving the league is the answer due to being competitive in most other sports. My heart bleeds for the football program players, coaches, and community. I can't imagine how frustrating this situation is, I coached at a extremely successful program with Incredible community Support and since moving down this way following my grandkids there school has Been very successful so I've never had to suffer the heartache that Minerva is suffering. I wish them the best of luck starting next year to get the train back on the tracks.

I truly wish there was a easy solution for Minerva unfortunately there isn't. I think the first step is and I got blasted for this in an earlier thread. Find a few cupcakes. Try some division V , Vl or even a Vll school to play even if it means travel. Try a Canadian team. Try Sebring, Waterloo, anyone no matter the size to break this streak. Second I don't know how long the current coach has been there but it needs overhauled from the top down. Hire a First of time head coach no matter there age. A Young guy. A young guy that will bring some excitement to the program. A young guy who will improve the off-season weightlifting. Drastic times call for drastic measures. I know this is much easier Said then done but it's time to move forward. Like I mentioned earlier some fans we're upset about me mentioning a few easy teams but I think if Minerva can break this streak it will add some juice into the program. This suggestion is no way a knock on Minerva. I don't think the Lions leaving the league is the answer due to being competitive in most other sports. My heart bleeds for the football program players, coaches, and community. I can't imagine how frustrating this situation is, I coached at a extremely successful program with Incredible community Support and since moving down this way following my grandkids there school has Been very successful so I've never had to suffer the heartache that Minerva is suffering. I wish them the best of luck starting next year to get the train back on the tracks.

I agree with the scheduling. You have lost near 40 in a row and have Sandy valley and Indian valley on the schedule as non league games who are typically good teams (this year are both 8-1) and will continue to be for the next few years. Not knocking minerva, but you'd think they would schedule teams that would put them in a better position to compete given the state of the program

Numbers are down and seem to get worse every year. in 2019 we end with 8 seniors, 1 is hurt and 1 is a kicker only. We have 6 juniors with 2 injured and 1 I will see playing time in week 10. There are 15 sophomores, 8 of which will play Friday. There are around 10 or 11 freshmen. Minerva has a 29 man roster in grades 10-12 and 40 if you count freshmen. The numbers will not be any better next year and could be worse. I heard that a few juniors are not coming back out next year. I am guessing that 4 or 5 sophomores will be done after this year. There are a few really good looking sophomores but not enough to really say that a big turn around is coming. Yea, maybe they can end the "streak" next year but it will be hard to get an EBC win unless they are changes.

Preparation is a major issue: The off season conditioning program is not good. Whoever is coaching needs get kids bigger, stronger and faster. Need to develop linemen. There are a few good ones but no depth. Our best linemen went down in week 5 and it's been downhill ever since.

The good news is that there are some quality players - but will the coaches and kids be dedicated enough in the off season to get bigger, stronger and faster?

Minerva has what looks like a very nice sophomore class... This streak will end next year, IMO... As far as coaching, i believe Willison is the right guy for this team... They have been changing leaders often with no success.. Give this guy more than TWO years.... Also scheduling, beating a Sebring or Waterloo will do very little to prepare for league play.. Doubt those schools would agree to play Minerva regardless.... I predict 2-3 wins for the Lions next year..... Again, IMO.......

Minerva has what looks like a very nice sophomore class... This streak will end next year, IMO... As far as coaching, i believe Willison is the right guy for this team... They have been changing leaders often with no success.. Give this guy more than TWO years.... Also scheduling, beating a Sebring or Waterloo will do very little to prepare for league play.. Doubt those schools would agree to play Minerva regardless.... I predict 2-3 wins for the Lions next year..... Again, IMO.......

There needs to be some sort of shake up whether Willison stays or goes. The coaches as a whole are too complacent and too close to Willison- he needs to be the boss and take control and get rid of half the staff. There is some talent in the sophomore class so 2-3 would be a good start if it can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There needs to be some sort of shake up whether Willison stays or goes. The coaches as a whole are too complacent and too close to Willison - he needs to be the boss and take control and get rid of at least half the staff. And that’s if the board decides he stays: There is some talent in the sophomore class so 2-3 would be a good start if it can happen. But with minimal off season training, coaches who seem to have lost interest and just a lack of dedication it very well could be 10 more losses next year- there will be no easy games in the schedule.

No matter who is coaching a major overhaul is needed.

I feel bad for the seniors who have gone their entire high school years without having seen one varsity football win. That is brutal. Hopefully they can get things rolling soon; several good players can start making a difference ...build from there. Don't give up.

Numbers are down and seem to get worse every year. in 2019 we end with 8 seniors, 1 is hurt and 1 is a kicker only. We have 6 juniors with 2 injured and 1 I will see playing time in week 10. There are 15 sophomores, 8 of which will play Friday. There are around 10 or 11 freshmen. Minerva has a 29 man roster in grades 10-12 and 40 if you count freshmen. The numbers will not be any better next year and could be worse. I heard that a few juniors are not coming back out next year. I am guessing that 4 or 5 sophomores will be done after this year. There are a few really good looking sophomores but not enough to really say that a big turn around is coming. Yea, maybe they can end the "streak" next year but it will be hard to get an EBC win unless they are changes.

Preparation is a major issue: The off season conditioning program is not good. Whoever is coaching needs get kids bigger, stronger and faster. Need to develop linemen. There are a few good ones but no depth. Our best linemen went down in week 5 and it's been downhill ever since.

The good news is that there are some quality players - but will the coaches and kids be dedicated enough in the off season to get bigger, stronger and faster?

Minerva will not make it in this EBC as far as being competitive,even with a complete overhaul in the program I think the program has hit rock bottom at this point and tainted. That’s why numbers are down and will get worse. We need to make major changes in the staff but also look at changing leagues. 20 to 30 man roster even with talent is a road to losses in this league.. That’s why we need to be in a league comparable to our situation which is here to stay. Again, Minerva people are arrogant and have blinders on, do you think the Freshman QB earned his spot or because daddy is a coach? This is just the beginning of the problems our program has that keep numbers down and this needs corrected immediately. Talent and numbers will be thin for years because of this type of situation. Just glad my kid don’t play for this corrupt program and that is sad for me to say considering the success I had playing in my era, a great program with excellent staff personnel and HC. As far as being competitive in other sports in the EBC that should show issues with our football program. No reason then why we wouldn’t succeed in another league. D5 is always possible for us too.

Here we go in the first 3 games of the year schedule buckeye local akron north and columbus west. Your bound to win at least 1 or 2 of those.

Can you find a way to get Leon Powell some more eligibility?

Seriously though, I hope your admin realizes how a losing football program hurts your district as a whole and to have en epic losing streak like this is just not acceptable.

I used to live in the Minerva school district. I was probably never going to send my kids there for convenience reasons but I know the lack of success on the football field helped solidify our position.

IF Minerva had a a great program where they were consistently winning my wife and I may have said we want our kids to be a part of that and made the sacrifices to get our kids to schools there so they could be part of it.

Your athletic programs are important and football is the most important one of them all. Fix it Minerva.

Can you find a way to get Leon Powell some more eligibility?

Seriously though, I hope your admin realizes how a losing football program hurts your district as a whole and to have en epic losing streak like this is just not acceptable.

I used to live in the Minerva school district. I was probably never going to send my kids there for convenience reasons but I know the lack of success on the football field helped solidify our position.

IF Minerva had a a great program where they were consistently winning my wife and I may have said we want our kids to be a part of that and made the sacrifices to get our kids to schools there so they could be part of it.

Your athletic programs are important and football is the most important one of them all. Fix it Minerva.

Powell was an awesome RB! I see your point and agree. We won’t fix it because as you may know Minerva is a clique town, everyone knows everyone and if you are part of a buddy system that is what counts. This is so ridiculous that it reeks of stupidity, let’s just keep doing the same crap because we wouldn’t want to upset someone. Let’s be real, if you are good enough to start you play, if not you don’t. Regardless of your name. Fresh eyes with no ties to Minerva for a HC and a new league are the start to turning this sad excuse for a program around. You would think a real man would step down if he lost 30 in a row and a real man wouldn’t want his son to think you are handed things in life without earning it! Like I said this program is tainted and has hit rock bottom.

Powell was an awesome RB! I see your point and agree. We won’t fix it because as you may know Minerva is a clique town, everyone knows everyone and if you are part of a buddy system that is what counts. This is so ridiculous that it reeks of stupidity, let’s just keep doing the same crap because we wouldn’t want to upset someone. Let’s be real, if you are good enough to start you play, if not you don’t. Regardless of your name. Fresh eyes with no ties to Minerva for a HC and a new league are the start to turning this sad excuse for a program around. You would think a real man would step down if he lost 30 in a row and a real man wouldn’t want his son to think you are handed things in life without earning it! Like I said this program is tainted and has hit rock bottom.

There have been all kinds of great players since Powell too and there are potential great players on this year’s team. But you make a lot of great points. A lot of these kids are multi-sport athletes and if even 1 or 2 choose to leave the program it will continue to spiral downward. Also, what will keep the marginal players on the team if losing and no open competition for positions continue to happen? This year’s team is very young but it didn’t need to be. There are a lot of seniors that left the program and I can name 3 that would have had a positive impact.. as young as the team is, there is really no reason to have a freshman starting at quarterback and linebacker. The kid is an average athlete with a huge heart, never a lack of effort and will have a nice career as a football player but he is not the best option and he is not ready for varsity football. Even opposing fans can see that. They should have just left the senior in and let him finish the season. I am not knocking this kid at all, he has shown a lot of toughness out there! He is just not ready for Friday nights.

I really hope they can get a win Friday - the seniors graduate with never winning a football game- that statement alone should raise a huge red flag.. I am very curious to see what happens after the season ends. I really think there needs to be a major overhaul..

Last edited:
I am betting we hear about schools discussing a new league before Xmas

Heck I bet we hear it before Turkey Day

new or possible league alignment is one of the most popular topics at basketball games!!
stay tuned Lions - certainly you will be in the mix

I am betting we hear about schools discussing a new league before Xmas

Heck I bet we hear it before Turkey Day

new or possible league alignment is one of the most popular topics at basketball games!!
stay tuned Lions - certainly you will be in the mix

I hope this happens. There are several teams who could use a fresh start. It's clear that there's an agenda in the IVC and several teams will always carry more clout in that league to benefit themselves. I would love to see a newly formed Stark county small school league.

Here we go in the first 3 games of the year schedule buckeye local akron north and columbus west. Your bound to win at least 1 or 2 of those.

Well our 1st 3 teams we played this year will likely have a combined record of 26 and 4 so that didn't help.

I like what Mauro is doing at Carrollton, you know that they will play good hardnosed defense.

I know and thats what im saying in minervas self interest schedule a couple complete cupcakes very early next year to give the kids some confidence. Id schedule one of the ones i said or newcomerstown or st thomas just to give the kids a taste of winning right off to try to build confidence.

I also do agree with you i like what carrollton is doing defensively i just wish they had a decent quarterback throwing wise cause ive heard hes a hell of an athlete.

I hope this happens. There are several teams who could use a fresh start. It's clear that there's an agenda in the IVC and several teams will always carry more clout in that league to benefit themselves. I would love to see a newly formed Stark county small school league.

Here's your league.

Minerva
Carrollton
Canton South
Fairless
Tuslaw
Sandy Valley
Tusky Valley

No long drives except to Carrollton. Enrollments are fairly close. An 8th would be nice but no obvious choice.

Make it happen.

Here's your league.

Minerva
Carrollton
Canton South
Fairless
Tuslaw
Sandy Valley
Tusky Valley

No long drives except to Carrollton. Enrollments are fairly close. An 8th would be nice but no obvious choice.

Make it happen.

Those PAC and IVC teams have been together for a long time. I doubt you'll get them to split up. Best bet would be to get Minerva in the PAC or IVC instead.

Here's your league.

Minerva
Carrollton
Canton South
Fairless
Tuslaw
Sandy Valley
Tusky Valley

Make it happen.

Yes where Minerva goes so does Carrollton they are a package
same as Fairless and Tuslaw, will they leave the PAC they have been in for nearly 30 years tho?
Canton South would jump at a chance to be in a D4/5 league and leave the rest of the D3 schools out in cold with Lville LOL
SV - if you know of the situation you then know they would probably host the meetings to have a new league.

I don't think Tusky Valley moves. My opinion, better chance getting St Thomas join.

Interesting post Damage - I could see some of that happening but which school will be all in, and which ones will be nervous about the plunge

Canton South, St Thomas, Minerva, Sandy Valley I could see all being motivated to establishing they are all in. The rest I would see as being slow to go.

Yes where Minerva goes so does Carrollton they are a package
same as Fairless and Tuslaw, will they leave the PAC they have been in for nearly 30 years tho?
Canton South would jump at a chance to be in a D4/5 league and leave the rest of the D3 schools out in cold with Lville LOL
SV - if you know of the situation you then know they would probably host the meetings to have a new league.

I don't think Tusky Valley moves. My opinion, better chance getting St Thomas join.

Interesting post Damage - I could see some of that happening but which school will be all in, and which ones will be nervous about the plunge

Canton South, St Thomas, Minerva, Sandy Valley I could see all being motivated to establishing they are all in. The rest I would see as being slow to go.

Fairless and Tuslaw have more ties to Tusky Valley than to any current team in the PAC.

Tuslaw has long ties to Sandy Valley, Minerva and Carrollton dating back to the Senate League days.

Sandy and Tusky obviously have ties.

Canton South is the only obvious one without a connection.

This will probably never happen but it would be a GREAT league.

I personally believe when a program has lost 39 games in a row, finger pointing, overhaul of coaching staff, flip the board, adjust scheduling, and other variables all are plausible strategies on the table. There is no easy solution. To the poster suggesting a softer OOC schedule is not the answer, at this point, preparing for your league play is not the first, second, or even third priority. The number one priority is earning a damn WIN! That's the only goal any coaching staff for Minerva, current or future, should embrace. Period. Then once you generate that win, then you build upon that small milestone of success, and expand your goals and objectives into the future. There is no easy answer to this dark place Minerva finds itself in for the past four seasons. It's easy to pass the blame. I'm certain the curtain coaching staff is not embracing losing, nor wants to be in this position. Unfortunately Minerva lacks the athletes to compete, their lobsided losses throughout this bad streak validate the point, however according to you Minerva posters the sophomore class seems promising, so hopefully that class can steer the ship and right the program. Best of luck from an old Leopard who will miss some of the classics of the past with the Minerva Lions...

I also do agree with you i like what carrollton is doing defensively i just wish they had a decent quarterback throwing wise cause ive heard hes a hell of an athlete.

That's ok.. Eventually the offense will catch up to the defense. At least they have something to hang their hat on which is defense.

Lots of interesting takes on a new league. The one thing that we know is Alliance and Marlington will end up being the Big 2 in the EBC in just about every boys sports. WB is also D3 but have D4 enrollment, they may be D4 again depending on what happens to competitive balance. I can see Alliance and Marlington "out growing" the EBC much like Louisville did in the NBC (translation- Louisville was booted to being to good). it's highly possible that the smaller schools in the EBC will start to leave for more competitive situations.

I believe the answer for marlington and alliance is to try to getry to start a new league with louisville new philly and dover being in it. Grab another team or two like wooster and you have a very competitive albeit smaller league but that also would give those teams flexibility to schedule a couple good teams and a couple cupcakes. Sorry for getting off topic.

I believe the answer for marlington and alliance is to try to getry to start a new league with louisville new philly and dover being in it. Grab another team or two like wooster and you have a very competitive albeit smaller league but that also would give those teams flexibility to schedule a couple good teams and a couple cupcakes. Sorry for getting off topic.

They should have done that 2 years ago when the NBC decided to disband the league and start a new one without Louisville. I read about how Whiting and Balderson want to play Louisville and I am sure they do, both are quality coaches and have built good programs, But their administration had a vote too and they agreed.. the fact that Louisville, Marlington and Alliance all have similar enrollment yet Louisville is out - that just isn’t a good look for Alliance and Marlington..

I don’t think Minerva can schedule a team that’s a cupcake for them.. the issues run pretty deep

Status
Not open for further replies.