Millersport 2021

Any updates? Interviewed coaches? Anything at all?
Feel like it would have happened already if it was going to be Kopachy. Or, that it should have happened by now.

My gut tells me if it isn't Kopachy, then it's going to be a Sheridan alum from the Class of 2009. There are, like, three I can think of who make perfect sense for the gig. I mentioned one already. There's a second who is an assistant in the Cardinal, and there's a third that I'm not sure what they've been up to lately.

But, no real update. Any reason why it might not be Josh Whetstone? Alum and former coach... any of the Blackstone brothers interested in getting back into the rodeo? Jack Johnson? OK, OK... getting off-track here. Or am I?

Are they trying to make an arrangement to get the hire a job at the building? If not then why wait any longer? Fundraising is hard to do without a coach!!

Hearing Millersport is going to name Jack Treinish their next coach. Anybody know anything about him?

A coach on Fairfield Christian staff applied. Think he lives there. The community lobbied for him to get the job. Am pretty sure that is the new coach.

I believe Millersport hired Jack Treinish. I dont know if he has any coaching expperience, let alone HC experience. Guess they just wanted to hire a local guy instead of taking a chance on someone new.

I believe Millersport hired Jack Treinish. I dont know if he has any coaching expperience, let alone HC experience. Guess they just wanted to hire a local guy instead of taking a chance on someone new.
I talked to a parent today and that's the name they said, too. It's the same person being described in post 67. Did some volunteer coaching at FCA, did junior high coaching at Watkins.

Just my opinion, but whoever got picked over was probably spared the burden of trying to create a high school football program out of thin air. If hdvhsmgr is correct when he says the school still wants to do a varsity team this year, well... good luck to this guy. Six months separates them from their first scheduled game against Berne Union, a team that most certainly has been lifting since November.

I agree Dock, but man hire a guy to rebuild a football program with hardly any coaching experience handicaps them even more.

I agree Dock, but man hire a guy to rebuild a football program with hardly any coaching experience handicaps them even more.
Go read the latest post on the Facebook page that was referenced on page 2 of this thread. Whoever didn't get hired dodged a bullet. I don't see how an individual, who worked tirelessly to literally bring back the program, can get told "your services are no longer needed."

Board approved last night. Super’ said there were 47 applicants and 10 interviews. lol

Go read the latest post on the Facebook page that was referenced on page 2 of this thread. Whoever didn't get hired dodged a bullet. I don't see how an individual, who worked tirelessly to literally bring back the program, can get told "your services are no longer needed."
Be careful believing what you read by someone who is wrong. Three decades of experience, with two decades of HS experience.

Be careful believing what you read by someone who is wrong. Three decades of experience, with two decades of HS experience.
...are we not discussing two different things here? Let's break it down...

Three decades of experience, with two decades of HS experience.
This must be in reference to the gentleman who was hired. OK. Not going to dispute that indeed being the case.

Be careful believing what you read by someone who is wrong.
This part confuses me. The post I'm referencing was by the young man who did the fundraising, research and a lot of the dirty work. He said he was told by the administration that there is a difference of opinion on the immediate future and that it would be better if his involvement was scaled back. Are you saying he's wrong?

...are we not discussing two different things here? Let's break it down...

This must be in reference to the gentleman who was hired. OK. Not going to dispute that indeed being the case.

This part confuses me. The post I'm referencing was by the young man who did the fundraising, research and a lot of the dirty work. He said he was told by the administration that there is a difference of opinion on the immediate future and that it would be better if his involvement was scaled back. Are you saying he's wrong?
I understand. My quote was pertaining to the hire. Apologies. I replied to the wrong post.

I understand. My quote was pertaining to the hire. Apologies. I replied to the wrong post.
No need to apologize. There’s a lot on this thread pertaining to the hire and process that was speculation (including, but not limited to, what was written by me) and I realize that doesn’t square with what did happen.

I still dont see how a full time fire chief is going to resurrect a dead football program. Maybe Im wrong FB366. Its a full time job, not a "Hey Im the football coach, look at me" kinda job.

I still dont see how a full time fire chief is going to resurrect a dead football program. Maybe Im wrong FB366. Its a full time job, not a "Hey Im the football coach, look at me" kinda job.
I look forward to discussing the march of progress of Millersport football over this summer, or whenever.

I do agree in general with what your saying; maybe not to the extremes, but still some questions on the matter for sure.

I do wonder how the coach’s schedule can mesh with “the school wants to play 11-man varsity five months from now.”

Coach Trenish was the right hire. The last time they hired a big name, Coach Blackstone, he left after a year. The problems with the program were seeded deep even back then and it takes someone with an invested interest in the program to stick around. Coach Trenish is an alumni and cares about the program. He was passed over years ago and would potentially still be the coach today had he been hired. That's consistency Millersport has rarely seen.

I know for a fact Coach Whetstone didn't apply. He was the OC over at LU this year and has stated that he wants to coach their QB until he graduates. I think he is just enjoying his time not being "the guy" right now.

bigdude_222, Millersport has no history of success. Would it not make more sense to hire from outside the district instead of within. There has never been any recent, steady success, why not hire someone from a successful program? The only thing that Millersport has been consistent at is losing and thats what you get when you play it safe on a hire. Someone coming in to build a new culture, a new foundation would have been a better decision, just my opinion.

Last edited:
Past a certain point, I'm not too sure how worthwhile the debate on coaching hire is. Even a Tom Landry or Ryan Day would have their work cut-out big time. The bigger question to me seems to be if the program timeline (playing Varsity <6 months from now) is even feasible or sensible.

Past a certain point, I'm not too sure how worthwhile the debate on coaching hire is. Even a Tom Landry or Ryan Day would have their work cut-out big time. The bigger question to me seems to be if the program timeline (playing Varsity <6 months from now) is even feasible or sensible.

Feasible? Sure. Here's a sample schedule that could theoretically still be played according to the open dates thread. 8 of these teams are absolutely terrible, so if they're willing to travel or pay for home games they can have a competitive schedule.

1 Jefferson Twp
2 Meadowdale
3 Linden
4 Miami Valley Christian
5 Miller
6 Hillcrest
7 Berne Union (already scheduled)
8 Steubenville Catholic Central
9 Federal Hocking
10 Manchester

Is it sensible? Absolutely not. Start lifting now, even get a season of practice in with some JV games mixed in. But I can't imagine trying to play varsity 11 man in August when you have nothing set in stone by March.

LCL, there were some decent years. I never said they were a powerhouse, but prior to 2007ish, they were at least competitive, MOST years. I know their history. However, Millersport has historically had difficulties keeping well known coaches long term. The reason they went through a 40 game losing streak was due to constant turnover. There was one class that had four coaches in four years. I'm not saying they would have been Sheridan, but they could have been competitive. With open enrollment, it's hard for any small school, especially with being the district being close to Sheridan, Lakewood, Liberty Union and Fairfield Union. Lose a lot of kids that way. I personally believe they need someone who is willing to stay long term even if they cannot field a team this year, which is a possibility. Coach Trenish loves the area and the school and will be willing to do that. That was my point. I'm sure the other coaches who applied are good coaches, but for kids who have seen tremendous turnover, I believe consistency is more important.

Start lifting now, even get a season of practice in with some JV games mixed in. But I can't imagine trying to play varsity 11 man in August when you have nothing set in stone by March.
That's what I'm saying.

Feasible? Sure. Here's a sample schedule that could theoretically still be played according to the open dates thread. 8 of these teams are absolutely terrible, so if they're willing to travel or pay for home games they can have a competitive schedule.

1 Jefferson Twp
2 Meadowdale
3 Linden
4 Miami Valley Christian
5 Miller
6 Hillcrest
9 Federal Hocking
10 Manchester
Berne might run the bus over them on the field. Same with SCC.

Curious if their 10-game schedule, playing teams all over God's creation and bringing in teams good for seven fans, doesn't just alienate the program from the community. What happens if they bring in less fans in the stands over the year than FCA (who uses Millersport as a hosting facility?)

1 Jefferson Twp
2 Meadowdale
3 Linden
4 Miami Valley Christian
5 Miller
6 Hillcrest
9 Federal Hocking
10 Manchester

Is it sensible? Absolutely not. Start lifting now, even get a season of practice in with some JV games mixed in. But I can't imagine trying to play varsity 11 man in August when you have nothing set in stone by March.
Just seen where they added Linden in week 3. Actually isn’t a bad pick-up, at all, given that Linden’s program is in dire straits when it comes to numbers.