Midwest Athletic Conference 2024

Who will be MAC champions

• Total voters
@StateChampion2012 Are we starting our countdown to that Week 1 battle of Valley View at Coldwater? The Spartans actually return a good amount of talent this season but lose their star QB in Henson. Typically, replacing QB's is something VV does well. I'm excited for this early season matchup and a great way to see where your team is at heading into the season. Should be exciting!

I still remember dragging my wife to a CW vs. Anna game and hitting up McSobers pregame. Maybe that's on the agenda in August 2024?

Goodwin is just the lucky benefactor to come along after Coach Cramer laid the framework for this run.

He has been fortunate to follow such a legendary football pioneer.
Trivia question, what team thumped Marion Local in Week 10 of the 1999 season, prompting the coaching change to Goodwin?

Trivia question, what team thumped Marion Local in Week 10 of the 1999 season, prompting the coaching change to Goodwin?
Marion beat Parkway in week 10 of 1999 by a score of 31-7, but I’m guessing you meant 1998, when the Panthers beat ML 36-7 😉

That was Parkway’s last win over ML, though the 2000 contest wasn’t decided until a late Flyer field goal.

@StateChampion2012 Are we starting our countdown to that Week 1 battle of Valley View at Coldwater? The Spartans actually return a good amount of talent this season but lose their star QB in Henson. Typically, replacing QB's is something VV does well. I'm excited for this early season matchup and a great way to see where your team is at heading into the season. Should be exciting!

I still remember dragging my wife to a CW vs. Anna game and hitting up McSobers pregame. Maybe that's on the agenda in August 2024?

Looking forward to it! Probably won't start the thread till later. We also return a bunch however we do need to replace 1700 yards of receiving production. Which I think we can as we have a great senior and Junior class

Marion beat Parkway in week 10 of 1999 by a score of 31-7, but I’m guessing you meant 1998, when the Panthers beat ML 36-7 😉

That was Parkway’s last win over ML, though the 2000 contest wasn’t decided until a late Flyer field goal.
You're correct, I had the wrong year. The coach from Marion was fired after the 98' season correct?

That 2000 game was a heartbreaker. Those were some great times for Parkway football compared to the present.

You're correct, I had the wrong year. The coach from Marion was fired after the 98' season correct?

That 2000 game was a heartbreaker. Those were some great times for Parkway football compared to the present.
He really wasn't fired....he just handed the keys to the castle after fixing it all up and gifted the team to Coach Goodwin.

SC2012 is the forever optimist and will give you the most rosey of outlooks for a club.
I tend to be more cynical, gritty and the doom and gloom.

My thoughts on 2024 for the Cava7iers:

The Cavs bugaboo has been the same for awhile now:
1. Inability to run the football outside of the QB.
2. Stopping power running teams.

I do not see that to change this year.

Week 1: Toss up. CW graduates some of their most dynamic playmakers the program has seen over the years. There is talent in the wings, but if they are able to perform as 'the dudes' instead of a supporting role will remain to be seen and likely will take a little time before all of that gets sorted out.

Week 2: CM. Probably a better matchup than Bellefontaine to work on what has hurt us and that is power running attack. I hope CW uses that week to test out different schemes so when they face the Ste14ners and playoff teams they arent pushed around like ragdolls like the past.

Week 10: I believe is vs THE Marion Local Ste14ners. MSML will be 9-0, and CW will likely have at least 1 loss, to CM, maybe 2 (to VV) and possibly a 3rd in league play. CW has a chance to beat MSML if the Flyers go in with at least a share of the title in hand and are big gimpy and sit some guys.

Once the weather starts to turn raw and the finesse passing attack goes against the poor weather is generally when you see the offense start to stall because of no run game outside of the QB.

CW should make the playoffs, like a first round home game but after that it is the road warriors as I doubt a 2-4 loss squad finishes in the top 4.

God Bless the USA.
God Bless the MAC.
and may God Bless The Coldwater Cavaliers.

SC2012 is the forever optimist and will give you the most rosey of outlooks for a club.

Week 1: Toss up. CW graduates some of their most dynamic playmakers the program has seen over the years. There is talent in the wings, but if they are able to perform as 'the dudes' instead of a supporting role will remain to be seen and likely will take a little time before all of that gets sorted out.

Week 2: CM. Probably a better matchup than Bellefontaine to work on what has hurt us and that is power running attack. I hope CW uses that week to test out different schemes so when they face the Ste14ners and playoff teams they arent pushed around like ragdolls like the past.

Week 10: I believe is vs THE Marion Local Ste14ners. MSML will be 9-0, and CW will likely have at least 1 loss, to CM, maybe 2 (to VV) and possibly a 3rd in league play. CW has a chance to beat MSML if the Flyers go in with at least a share of the title in hand and are big gimpy and sit some guys.

Once the weather starts to turn raw and the finesse passing attack goes against the poor weather is generally when you see the offense start to stall because of no run game outside of the QB.

CW should make the playoffs, like a first round home game but after that it is the road warriors as I doubt a 2-4 loss squad finishes in the top 4.

God Bless the USA.
God Bless the MAC.
I actually think CW has a great chance to beat VV in Week 1 this season. By the end of the year, I expect VV to be a very good football team, most likely challenge for the SWBL, and make a playoff push. But breaking in a new QB, against CW in Week 1, won't be an easy task for VV. Offensively, VV is more of a spread offense themselves. They'll be very balanced, and depending on the QB, typically have a mobile QB themselves. They aren't what I would consider a smash mouth team by any means, certainly not like what CM will bring in Week 2. I would expect a higher scoring game in Week 1, that's my prediction.

What a quality OOC schedule for CW though. Both VV and CM should be quality playoff teams in DIV R16. Both run very different offenses to test CW, and to help prepare them for the season.

I actually think CW has a great chance to beat VV in Week 1 this season. By the end of the year, I expect VV to be a very good football team, most likely challenge for the SWBL, and make a playoff push. But breaking in a new QB, against CW in Week 1, won't be an easy task for VV. Offensively, VV is more of a spread offense themselves. They'll be very balanced, and depending on the QB, typically have a mobile QB themselves. They aren't what I would consider a smash mouth team by any means, certainly not like what CM will bring in Week 2. I would expect a higher scoring game in Week 1, that's my prediction.

What a quality OOC schedule for CW though. Both VV and CM should be quality playoff teams in DIV R16. Both run very different offenses to test CW, and to help prepare them for the season.
Definitely tip of the cap to CW for scheduling a great OOC schedule.

God Bless the USA.
God Bless the MAC.
Pretty good summary. I think the Cavs D improved last season vs the power rushing teams but how much of that was the personnel...aka Depweg playing Mike. The Cavs D vs spread teams has been very good. I think the challenge/opportunity is to find a way to trade off athleticism for some size and physicality in the front 8. If the Cavs are able to make a run to the ship, you know who will be waiting for them... Kirtland. Better bring some physicality to that game for sure.

Minster Football Bleachers Progressing:

1719417855510.jpeg

Anyone hear how the Countryfest Qb Challenge went?
I did not witness this year's QB challenge but talked to a few who did. I believe ML's Justin Knouff took first and ML incoming Freshman Brennan Hess looked really good.... Or maybe I drank too many draft beers out of aluminum cups to remember correctly! :unsure: :LOL:

What big games/matchups is everyone the most excited to see this coming year?
Minster v ML should be a great game this year. Probably the D7 championship game.

What I am not looking forward to as a Flyer fan is traveling to Linton Stockton in week 1 and *edit (South Dayton) week 2. Those inflated gas prices are about to eat my wallet in 2 months.

Last edited:
I thought ML played Franklin week 2? Or was there a change?
ML does indeed play Franklin in week 2. Franklin is located south of Dayton, just west of Springboro.
My mistake on the location. Roughly same time to drive there as Columbus give or take 15-20 minutes, especially with that boondoggle traffic pattern south of Dayton right now.

Last edited: