Midwest Athletic Conference 2024

Who will be MAC champions

• Total voters
Remember that baseball season pretty well. Muhlenkamp's only loss that year was to Versailles. Versailles got knocked out by CHCA's ace that year, Varga may have been his name. He was riding a 38 player strike out streak coming into the game and my oldest son hit a little grounder to the third baseman to break it. Varga signed a several million signing bonus in June that year.
In the baseball tournament, you have to be good........and a little lucky. Ole Harley was pretty happy that summer.

Remember that baseball season pretty well. Muhlenkamp's only loss that year was to Versailles. Versailles got knocked out by CHCA's ace that year, Varga may have been his name. He was riding a 38 player strike out streak coming into the game and my oldest son hit a little grounder to the third baseman to break it. Varga signed a several million signing bonus in June that year.
In the baseball tournament, you have to be good........and a little lucky. Ole Harley was pretty happy that summer.
Cam Varga is the greatest pitcher in program history. First round pick, too. He had basically no flaws in his game except the fact that he couldn't pitch both the state semis and finals. That 2014 Coldwater team was real good though, who knows who would have won if Varga pitched

Any one hear anything about the MAC/WBL scouting combine in Wapak? Who from the MAC attended and who showed out? Heard there were quite a few small D1/D2 schools there.

Any one hear anything about the MAC/WBL scouting combine in Wapak? Who from the MAC attended and who showed out? Heard there were quite a few small D1/D2 schools there.

That would be wrong
You're 100% right. It's a football thread but before the Cavs were the Cavs ( Yellow Jackets) they were good in baseball. Made state 1st in baseball in the late 30s, early 40s. Fwiw 1st team to states had 3 kids who played pro ball. Ralph Weigel played in the majors. believe with White Sox and Indians, 2 Reichert cousins, Barney & Paul,signed with the Dodgers. Barney had two kids who were good athletes at Celina- Chris and Mike.

Lol going viral for playing bad ball and getting your teeth kicked in. Love it
I blame the pitcher. If he did his job and covered 2nd....

3rd and catcher at least were hustling and tried to do the right thing. We would always tell the players and were taught..if ur gonna make a mistake at least make it being aggressive and hustling and not being passive!

Imagine how mad the head coach has got to be that the clip is going viral 😂
Eh. I guess it's all perspective.

I see a 3rd baseman hustling to cover 2nd. I see a catcher hustling to cover third, and of course a CF making a tremendous effort to make an unbelievable play.8

And it happened in a district final....I bet many coaches would love to have an 'embarrassing " play shown nationally in a district final game.
Didn't the st14ners finish 18-14?

Not too shabby for them...

Classy! Let’s knock down a high school team and look at their entire season as a joke based on one play. Some hard working young guys on that field… I thought this was a football forum.
Buddy, I'm a ML guy that follows the team. It was also said in jest as they had played a great season up to then with multiple greater plays than that debacle. Including our 1st team All-MAC catcher Heitkamp (whos also a great FB player in his own right) blasting 2 homeruns in one game against the 2023 state runner ups and being robbed of a 3rd in the same game and I bet that didn't even make the local news. I've seen them play obviously and they're smart players obviously from the amount of football titles they've accumulated. They also were like 18-11 and had just knocked off the #1 seed Minster 2 nights before. No small feat.

Im also a realist and we had high standards for the season as they were all returning letter winners. There's no excuse for playing that bad 2 nights after stealing Minster's lunch money and the players would probably agree. They know they're better ball players than what they put out there that night. For at least a while theyll be known for this play even though they should be known for other things. No doubt they'll be stronger next year as they're juniors.

Last edited:
Oh, I’m very familiar with the team. You don’t think they set high standards for themselves. The one thing they didn’t want to happen was let their community down. These boys are hard on themselves, they don’t need you all putting them down for it. They are aware it was a bad play and a game outcome they didn’t want.
Let’s not forget it’s a game and these are young men playing for fun. And there’s no guarantees in baseball. You should know this if you follow that close.

Oh, I’m very familiar with the team. You don’t think they set high standards for themselves. The one thing they didn’t want to happen was let their community down. These boys are hard on themselves, they don’t need you all putting them down for it. They are aware it was a bad play and a game outcome they didn’t want.
Let’s not forget it’s a game and these are young men playing for fun. And there’s no guarantees in baseball. You should know this if you follow that close.
To quote my good friend ThaVoice, "Okay boomer"

It was a sarcastic comment made in jest because for all of their greater and far superior accomplishments I don't think going viral for looking unaware and besides the Center fielder, unathletic also was on their bingo card. No one is dragging them, they've gone farther than any ML baseball team since 1981 which was the last time we've won districts. Couldn't be prouder of them.

There's way worse stuff than I said going around the internet right now. My tongue in cheek comment on Yappi is nothing compared to the crap they're getting on FB and Instagram. You should probably go lecture all of them instead of me.

Last edited:
It's not just a high school baseball thing. I've seen some crazy plays on MLB highlights too.

I do appreciate the presence of mind and hustle by the center fielder.

If that small clip can get a nationwide view, why can’t the whole conference itself just get like a ESPN 30 for 30? It’s just very impressive. What the Mac can do year in and year out and just keep it consistently good for a few several years and counting. Just curious if there’s any other small school conferences like that in United States doubt it but you never know.

To quote my good friend ThaVoice, "Okay boomer"

It was a sarcastic comment made in jest because for all of their greater and far superior accomplishments I don't think going viral for looking unaware and besides the Center fielder, unathletic also was on their bingo card. No one is dragging them, they've gone farther than any ML baseball team since 1981 which was the last time we've won districts. Couldn't be prouder of them.

There's way worse stuff than I said going around the internet right now. My tongue in cheek comment on Yappi is nothing compared to the crap they're getting on FB and Instagram. You should probably go lecture all of them instead of me.
You're learning Padawan.

I get what you’re saying. I’d also say that having kids in high school sports makes one (or at least me) very sensitive to what is said on message boards, social media, and especially in the stands - and not just about my kids, but their friends, classmates, and even ‘just’ teammates. The stuff on this thread is super tame compared to some of the crap I’ve seen on social media, thankfully, but I can see how it could rankle.

On a side note, I’d be willing to bet that had the CF not made the play he did and the runner had scored, the play would barely have warranted a mention in the Daily Standard, much less gone viral. It’s wild to me how an outstanding individual effort brought attention to a team’s shortcomings on one play. This is a well-coached team that plays the game the right way, and it’s a shame that so many have piled on.