Midwest Athletic Conference 2023

Who Wins The MAC in 2023?

• Total voters
Here we go again! Time for a new thread and for me to have another bad league prediction.

1. Marion Local - Again give me a reason not to pick them.

2. Coldwater - We have skill pieces returning that I'm excited about and I think Braxton Howell will be good to go at QB. The ? is how our line will develop. That answer could be the difference between finishing 2nd or 5th and either of those are possible.

3. Versailles - Return a plethora of talent including Osborne. Might be a sleeper pick

4. Minster- I think Brogan Stephey will be the MAC OPOY next year and they return plenty of receivers.

5. New Bremen - The question is how do they do in the post David Homan era? Could they be higher? Maybe. Definitely too well coached and have enough athletes to be lower. Sorry Cards. Go prove me wrong.

6. St Henry- Redskins were very young and will still be young but seeing the turnaround that Minster had makes me bump them up a little bit. Will lose both Non-Conference games with St Marys and Archbold and beat the teams below.

7. Anna - Not sure what the rockets return but nothing they showed me last year has me thinking they will jump up much in the standings

8. Fort Recovery- Still have Troy Homan and I believe Reece Guggenbiller as well but what else will they have? Unless there's a change in attitude and some more athetes come out for the team, I can't put them higher.

9. Delphos St. Johns - DSJ is a team I can't get a beat on. Their workhorse running back graduated as did the Schwinnen kid i believe. Do they have kids that can replace them? That remains to be seen.

10. Parkway - Well they might have a team.

1. ML- Not sure what they return, but sure they will be stacked as usual.
2. V-town Tigers- With the Osborne kid touching the ball every snap, he will be tough to stop. Gehret will have a big year at RB. Griesdorn and Bergman at receiver are ready to breakout. O line will have good athletes and hopefully put some size on. Defense will be sound. (Wanna say 1, but yeah, until ML is knocked off that throne.)
3. New Breman
4. Coldwater
5. Minster
6. St. Henry
7. Anna
8. Ft. Recovery
9. DSJ
10. Parkway

My 3, 4, 5, and 6 positioning could all flip flop and and will come to play every game.

Last edited:
1. Marion Local: Offense will be loaded, and defense will be good esp. inside linebacker (though Arling might be moved to OLB)
2. Versailles: Osborne and Gehret one - two punch, good team overall.
3. Coldwater: lost a lot esp. at QB
4. Minster: Good Offense
5. Anna: Good returning QB
6. St. Henry
7. New Bremen
8. FR
9.DSJ
10. Parkway

1. Minster. The early offseason OPOY as they continue to impress.

2. Versailles. Going to a 1 QB set will do them well.

3. Steiners. Just because.

4. CW. Too many questions on defense, QB and running game to be serious contenders.

5. NB. Will start slow but gain momentum .

6. SH.
7. DSJ.
8. Anna.
9. FR.
10. Pw.
11. NK.

1. Marion Local: Offense will be loaded, and defense will be good esp. inside linebacker (though Arling might be moved to OLB)
2. Versailles: Osborne and Gehret one - two punch, good team overall.
3. Coldwater: lost a lot esp. at QB
4. Minster: Good Offense
5. Anna: Good returning QB
6. St. Henry
7. New Bremen
8. FR
9.DSJ
10. Parkway
not sure how to judge where teams will be next year, interested in what other teams have come back in the way of starters before I predict who will be where. Minster has 9 starters back on Defense, and 7 starters back on Offense.

not sure how to judge where teams will be next year, interested in what other teams have come back in the way of starters before I predict who will be where. Minster has 9 starters back on Defense, and 7 starters back on Offense.
Put your list out there old man. I expect minster to take NBs place and be the lone gold trophy winner because, as a whole, the league will be way, way down next year.

Put your list out there old man. I expect minster to take NBs place and be the lone gold trophy winner because, as a whole, the league will be way, way down next year.
gosh i would , but i don't want anyone to take my prediction to Vegas, without knowing what a few teams have coming back...

gosh i would , but i don't want anyone to take my prediction to Vegas, without knowing what a few teams have coming back...
Jan 1 it's legal in ohia.....already have my MACDUAL acct set and loaded and checking lines on JH hoops games.

Jan 1 it's legal in ohia.....already have my MACDUAL acct set and loaded and checking lines on JH hoops games.
i am thinking about renting a few not used dairy barns throughout West Central Ohio , to put some gambling joints in next year, i need someone to run one between Egypt and Osgood, you interested?

i am thinking about renting a few not used dairy barns throughout West Central Ohio , to put some gambling joints in next year, i need someone to run one between Egypt and Osgood, you interested?
big-daddy-old-man.gif

For the right price you can sign me as a spokesman. I'll have my people call your people.

For the right price you can sign me as a spokesman. I'll have my people call your people.
I'm sorry my company is working on getting its ESG rating up.... using words like SPOKESMAN, disqualifies you from the position... try back in 2024.....

Can anybody come into Rockford and turn the Panthers around?
I'd love to see it, but how do you get kids to come out when they know they're probably taking a beating from ML, CW, Versailles, and NB of late besides the middle of the MAC with Minster, Anna, & St Henry most years. Not to forget FR & DSJ having a good team here and there (weird to put DSJ that way).

I'd love to see it, but how do you get kids to come out when they know they're probably taking a beating from ML, CW, Versailles, and NB of late besides the middle of the MAC with Minster, Anna, & St Henry most years. Not to forget FR & DSJ having a good team here and there (weird to put DSJ that way).
New Bremen, minster and fr rec are proof positive you can lift yourself from the depths of football hell and be competitive. There is no reason why they cannot compete.

1) MSML - of course
2/3) Coldwater/Versailles- both will be very good
4) Minster- could be the new MAC D7 representative
5) New Bremen- something tells me they won’t drop far and I won’t be surprised to see them vs Minster in R28 final
6) St Henry - 6 and 7 could easily flip flop
7) Anna- ditto
8) DSJ - feels like they are slowly imp and might make a run in the playoffs soon
9) Ft Recovery - have not seen any consistent improvement in the last several years
10) Parkway - hopefully new coach brings new hope

i think teams gain a huge advantage by making the playoffs and gaining several weeks of extra practice for the young guys. I know Goodwin does and I hope the others use those weeks to continue to develop the young guys and that they don’t just stand off to the side and observe.

I predicted your cats would be better this season than most thought they would be and I was correct. Defense was young but also not very good not even against 500 teams. Same players back does not necessarily mean better.

You just need to sell a vision and a program. New Bremen was on a 26 game or so losing streak when Chris Schmidt was hired. Now they have 2 State Championships. But you and me both know what needs to happen for their program to be rehabbed, they need a new league.

1. Minster. The early offseason OPOY as they continue to impress.

2. Versailles. Going to a 1 QB set will do them well.

3. Steiners. Just because.

4. CW. Too many questions on defense, QB and running game to be serious contenders.

5. NB. Will start slow but gain momentum .

6. SH.
7. DSJ.
8. Anna.
9. FR.
10. Pw.
11. NK.
Minster does not put in the extra work anymore so no to no.1
If the Flyers finish 3rd Goodwin should retire
You are correct about the tigers, they will be good.

1)ML Goodwin and Stable of strong athletes. Lause, Otte, Hoelsher. Who will be Qb ?
2) VT Osborne at QB, Stable of running backs, Gehret, Henry, Francis, Schmitmeyer. Griesdorn, Bergman at WR. Many linemen running track and hitting the weights. Probable 16 seniors that will all contribute.
3) Minster, will improve from last year setting themselves to be MAC contender 2024.
4) CW could win league but lineman might hold them back.
5) St. H. Tough group that was better than record this year.
6) NB, no David Homan but well Coached.
7) DSJ low numbers but well coached.
8) FR, good group of sophomores to go with Homan.
9) Anna may have a balanced offense.
10) Parkway, new coach and lost big time RB/LB.

My predictions last year weren't that good, I hope I'm wrong this year and the Tigers can knock off ML two times and get a crack at Kirtland.

Last edited:
1) MSML - of course
2/3) Coldwater/Versailles- both will be very good
4) Minster- could be the new MAC D7 representative
5) New Bremen- something tells me they won’t drop far and I won’t be surprised to see them vs Minster in R28 final
6) St Henry - 6 and 7 could easily flip flop
7) Anna- ditto
8) DSJ - feels like they are slowly imp and might make a run in the playoffs soon
9) Ft Recovery - have not seen any consistent improvement in the last several years
10) Parkway - hopefully new coach brings new hope

i think teams gain a huge advantage by making the playoffs and gaining several weeks of extra practice for the young guys. I know Goodwin does and I hope the others use those weeks to continue to develop the young guys and that they don’t just stand off to the side and observe.
Why is everyone just handing Minster the crown now? What have they shown? Did they beat ANY good teams last year? All they showed to me was every single good team they played they got blasted by 2 scores. My Cards won’t be as good but we’re better than minster until they prove they can beat a good team.

I predicted your cats would be better this season than most thought they would be and I was correct. Defense was young but also not very good not even against 500 teams. Same players back does not necessarily mean better.
Minster had the worst defense I saw in the MAC this year. Just awful defense. The Bremen game was one of the worst tackling performances I have ever seen. That is an inditement on the defensive staff at Minster. They were putrid. I don’t have any confidence in Minster next season I see a very similar record. I think they lose to Loramie week 1, then they beat the low quality MAC teams again, then they get blasted by the top dawgs in the MAC.

I stand by my prediction amd stirred is one of the brightest and most respected yappster and does not need some whippersnapper like you pointing out such trivial minutia
Brightest and most respected???? does he have some pictures of you from back in High School that you are afraid to get out?

New Bremen, minster and fr rec are proof positive you can lift yourself from the depths of football hell and be competitive. There is no reason why they cannot compete.
They have to want to do that. I don't see it. It's always been baseball, basketball, and then football. Almost like Crestview where it's been basketball, baseball, and football right behind baseball. Maybe you have to find someone that will get the few Willshire kids left, Chatt, and Mendon kids that have chips on their shoulders and build it that way. It doesn't seem Rockford has ever been too interested outside a couple players here and there. Don't believe Thompson & my distant cousin live around here, plus they have a young family. He would be that kind of guy to turn it around though.

Minster had the worst defense I saw in the MAC this year. Just awful defense. The Bremen game was one of the worst tackling performances I have ever seen. That is an inditement on the defensive staff at Minster. They were putrid. I don’t have any confidence in Minster next season I see a very similar record. I think they lose to Loramie week 1, then they beat the low quality MAC teams again, then they get blasted by the top dawgs in the MAC.
I have a theory on that. I see pass-oriented offenses often having loose defenses. Whether it’s that they focus more on Offense throughout the week, the lack of run stopping during practice, of just a lack of run blocking and tackling throughout the week, pass-oriented offenses seem to allow a lot of points. Its prevalent in both HS and college.

NOW ENTERING: A washed up Fort Recovery man shouting into the abyss about his high school football program instead of living a happy fulfilling life.

Hello everyone, the objectively best fruit from West of MACland here, glad to be here on this opening week of the MAC thread. Speculation abound about what schools will be ranked where, but we all know it's going to be the fliers on top. Sorry for the spoiler, but the hard part of your rankings are over, so I guess you can thank me. SC12, thanks for once again opening the thread with your thought out predictions. Thavoice, sandbagging as usual. Love to see it. And BasementBias, always nice to see you and shoehorning Adams Central and how you have family or relationship or step-kids or whatever that live the Crestview school district in 93% of your post. Never change, my man.
And of course, Congrats to the Marion Local Fly-guys and New Bremen Caramels on their brand new shiny trophies.

...Which leads me to my rant.
New Bremen, I'm happy for you. I am, after what you've been through in the recent past it's cool to see 2 State Championships in 3 years... but I'm a big enough man to admit it, and a small enough baby to feel it, but I'm jealous. As a I hate that my Indians football program has fallen so quickly after a glimmer of hope for 5ish years and fear we are back into the shadow realm of obscurity with seemingly no end in sight. Yes, as mentioned by VTJGball, we apparently have a decent sophomore class coming up with a few good players sprinkled in. But we all know damn well that does not make a good team. Fort Recovery has seen that with quite a few talented classes over the years. Great athletes and players, but classes around them bring no viable support to translate that talent into wins.
Yes, we have 1 State Championship and at least you're not Parkway. Yeah, great woohoo... That's great but if we want to get back we can't compare ourselves to the one outlier, and you know what though? Parkway has at least won a MAC Championship. Parkway has at least beaten Coldwater and Marion Local in their history. No, it's hasn't been for a very VERY long time, but at least they can say they have. Even when we won it all and finished 3rd, we still weren't realistically close by losing pretty bad to Marion, and didn't even play Coldwater.
We need an attitude change. A change in perspective and outlook. A change in culture. That seems to be what Coach Schmidt did to New Bremen (and even coach Kramer for volleyball). Now a school that had that huge losing streak in football, a school that was the lone state championshipless school in the conference now has 5 Titles (thanks for the catch Redhawk89) and doesn't seem to be slowing down.
I strongly believe our trophy was not because of our program, but because of a few good string of classes that were sick of what we've always been. But now that we've raised our banner, have that trophy in our display case and able to watch the recaps of "that ONE great year" on YouTube where people from out of our area didn't mistakingly call us Fort Loramie, we can just hang our hats on that and accept current mediocrity (at best). It's this cultural attitude, this perpetual underdog mentality that leads me to what I see. Ingrained low-bar expectations like giving ourselves a pat on the back for almost beating Coldwater in playoffs with one of our most athletically gifted classes to go through our schools system is what then leads us to letting an inferior St. Henry team come back and beat us by scoring 3 unanswered TD's in the 4th and losing to an even worse (1 win) Redskin team beat us this year, letting them back in the playoffs. If everyone calls them our "arch-rival," that's not what you do. You crush them, and keep them from a postseason. I don't care if most the kids are related to half the players in red and white, YOU BEAT THEM.
I'd like to know why we have this inferiority complex. What is it? We're typically middle of the pack when it comes to enrollment numbers. Is it our kids aren't as athletic? Being on the outskirts of the MAC's core, our genetics not as "pure" because we intermingle with Portland and Union City folk (joke...kinda)? Is it because we don't have the affluents of a Minster, New Bremen, Versailles, St. Henry, Coldwater or even... Fort Loramie with multiple industries propping up and polishing the towns? Is it because we're not completely Catholic? I know Versailles, Coldwater and New Bremen aren't "fully" but I'm just looking for answers. Is it because our village is geographically landlocked with little to no wiggle room to expand residential lots for new families to come in and grow the community. Or maybe it's because of our history of being beat by conference foes and just accepting things just how they are. Maybe it's a mix of some of those things, all of those things, or possibly none of those things, what I do know is we need to kick the complex and establish something new.
Fort Recovery seems to be comfortable waving the MAC flag when our conference members represent us at State... because you know, Marion Local is TOTALLY doing this for us, or for their actual rival, Coldwater. Don't get me wrong, I love that about our league. I really do. But I'm sick of getting the feeling that our community, our coaches and our players are just content with being part of the best conference in the state instead of consistently wanting to win it and be the often representative of it.

Anywho, y'all can continue talking about the real teams and whether or not if Parkway should leave now.

TL;DR:
I'm jealous, and want better for Fort Recovery

Last edited:
NOW ENTERING: A washed up Fort Recovery man shouting into the abyss about his high school football program instead of living a happy fulfilling life.

Hello everyone, the objectively best fruit from West of MACland here, glad to be here on this opening week of the MAC thread. Speculation abound about what schools will be ranked where, but we all know it's going to be the fliers on top. Sorry for the spoiler warning, but the hard part of your rankings are over, so I guess you can thank me. SC12, thanks for once again opening the thread with your thought out predictions. Thavoice, sandbagging as usual. Love to see it. And BasementBias, always nice to see you and shoehorning Adams Central and how you have family or relationship or step-kids or whatever in that live the Crestview school district in 93% of your post. Never change, my man.
And of course, Congrats to the Marion Local Fly-guys and New Bremen Caramels on their brand new shiny trophies.

...Which leads me to my rant.
New Bremen, I'm happy for you. I am, after what you've been through in the recent past it's cool to see 2 State Championships in 3 years... but I'm a big enough man to admit it, and a small enough baby to feel it, but I'm jealous. As a I hate that my Indians football program has fallen so quickly after a glimmer of hope for 5ish years and fear we are back into the shadow realm of obscurity with seemingly no end in sight. Yes, as mentioned by VTJGball, we apparently have a decent sophomore class coming up with a few good players sprinkled in. But we all know damn well that does not make a good team. Fort Recovery has seen that with quite a few classes over the years. Great athletes and players, but classes around them bring no viable support to translate that talent into wins.
Yes, we have 1 State Championship and at least you're not Parkway. Yeah, great woohoo... That's great but if we want to get back we can't compare ourselves to the one outlier, and you know what though? Parkway has at least won a MAC Championship. Parkway has at least beaten Coldwater and Marion Local in their history. No, it's hasn't been for a very VERY long time, but at least they can say they have. Even when we won it all and finished 3rd, we still weren't realistically close by losing pretty bad to Marion, and didn't even play Coldwater.
We need an attitude change. A change in perspective and outlook. A change in culture. That seems to be what Coach Schmidt did to New Bremen (and even coach Kramer for volleyball). Now a school that had that huge losing streak in football, a school that was the lone state championshipless school in the conference now has 4 Titles and doesn't seem to be slowing down.
I strongly believe our trophy was not because of our program, but because of a few good string of classes that were sick of what we've always been. But now that we've raised our banner, have that trophy in our display case and able to watch the recaps of "that ONE great year" on YouTube where people from out of our area didn't mistakingly call us Fort Loramie, we can just hang our hats on that and accept current mediocrity (at best). It's this cultural attitude, this perpetual underdog mentality that leads me to what I see. Ingrained low-bar expectations like giving ourselves a pat on the back for almost beating Coldwater in playoffs with one of our most athletically gifted classes to go through our schools system is what then leads us to letting an inferior St. Henry team come back and beat us by scoring 3 unanswered TD's in the 4th and losing to an even worse (1 win) Redskin team beat us this year, letting them back in the playoffs. If everyone calls them our "arch-rival," that's not what you do. You crush them, and keep them from a postseason. I don't care if most the kids are related to half the players in red and white, YOU BEAT THEM.
I like to know why we have this inferiority complex. What is it? We're typically middle of the pack when it comes to enrollment numbers. Is it our kids aren't as athletic? Being on the outskirts of the MAC's core, our genetics not as "pure" because we intermingle with Portland and Union City folk (joke...kinda)? Is it because we don't have the affluents of a Minster, New Bremen, Versailles, St. Henry, Coldwater or even... Fort Loramie with multiple industries propping up and polishing the towns? Is it because we're not completely Catholic? I know Versailles, Coldwater and New Bremen aren't "fully" but I'm just looking for answers. Is it because our village is geographically landlocked with little to no wiggle room to expand residential lots for new families to come in and grow the community. Or maybe it's because of our history of being beat by conference foes and just accepting things just how they are. Maybe it's a mix of some of those things, all of those things, or possibly none of those things, what I do know is we need to kick the complex and establish something new.
Fort Recovery seems to be comfortable waving the MAC flag when our conference members represent us at State... because you know, Marion Local is TOTALLY doing this for us, or for their actual rival, Coldwater. Don't get me wrong, I love that about our league. I really do. But I'm sick of getting the feeling that our community, our coaches and our players are just content with being part of the best conference in the state instead of consistently wanting to win it and be the often representative of it.

Anywho, y'all can continue talking about the real teams and whether or not if Parkway should leave now.

TL;DR:
I'm jealous, and want better for Fort Recovery
You left out the Parkway, South Adams, Bellmont, and Wayne Trace parts. Have to get it right man! 🤣