Midwest Athletic Conference 2022

LELL

Saw this on twitter....

This is the 29th straight year the MAC has had at least one team in the OHSAA football state semifinals and the 25th time in those 29 years that multiple teams have qualified for the OHSAA football state semifinals (2 teams, 15 times and 3 teams, 10 times).
😉
Wow.

State2013-1

Just out of curiosity, if you lived on the edge of the district in Marion Local how long would your drive be to get to the school?
Depends, which way are you coming from? Cuts off at 119 to the west. That would be a 4 minute drive. Cuts off at 364 to the east. That would be about a 5-6 minute drive. Cuts off around Montezuma to the north. That would be about 10 minutes probably. Cuts off around Yorkshire to the south and that would be about a 5-6 minute drive. I'd say a good estimate is at most a 10 minute drive.

BelowTheLine

Depends, which way are you coming from? Cuts off at 119 to the west. That would be a 4 minute drive. Cuts off at 364 to the east. That would be about a 5-6 minute drive. Cuts off around Montezuma to the north. That would be about 10 minutes probably. Cuts off around Yorkshire to the south and that would be about a 5-6 minute drive. I'd say a good estimate is at most a 10 minute drive.
Man, I can't tell you what an advantage that is. I remember seeing an interview with Goodwin and he was talking about when he thinks of Marion Local football he thinks of a summer morning with a 100 to 150 kids in the weight room and he talked about the sacrifices the parents make to get them there.

Here's the thing, I work in a D6 district and it's a struggle to get kids to the weight room but basically the shortest drive any kid had would be 10 minutes. We have kids who legitimately live 30 minutes from our school. You don't see them all summer. We have kids whose parents won't bring them simply because it's too far away.

Are all MAC schools similar to Marion?

State2013-1

Man, I can't tell you what an advantage that is. I remember seeing an interview with Goodwin and he was talking about when he thinks of Marion Local football he thinks of a summer morning with a 100 to 150 kids in the weight room and he talked about the sacrifices the parents make to get them there.

Here's the thing, I work in a D6 district and it's a struggle to get kids to the weight room but basically the shortest drive any kid had would be 10 minutes. We have kids who legitimately live 30 minutes from our school. You don't see them all summer. We have kids whose parents won't bring them simply because it's too far away.

I would say for the most part yes. I know Coldwaters stretches out there pretty far to the west but for the most part all of them seem to be about the same. They would have to drive 10 minutes at most. Of course towns like Minster, New Bremen, Coldwater, and St. Henry have a lot more of their students living in town. Marion has 5 different communities that are a little more spread out. That seems really spread out for a DVI school. Is it more rural?

StateChampion2012

For the most part. Coldwater has a weird shaped school district so the very outer fringe of Coldwater district might be a half hour. From St Anthony to Coldwater High School is 13 minutes according to Google maps

Basement Bias

For the most part. Coldwater has a weird shaped school district so the very outer fringe of Coldwater district might be a half hour. From St Anthony to Coldwater High School is 13 minutes according to Google maps
Yes, surprised to see they bordered a small section of South Adams' district on the state line.

BelowTheLine

I would say for the most part yes. I know Coldwaters stretches out there pretty far to the west but for the most part all of them seem to be about the same. They would have to drive 10 minutes at most. Of course towns like Minster, New Bremen, Coldwater, and St. Henry have a lot more of their students living in town. Marion has 5 different communities that are a little more spread out. That seems really spread out for a DVI school. Is it more rural?
Yeah. Actually set up very similar to Marion Local in that it's a bunch of towns consolidated into one district in the 1950s. Biggest difference is it was a forced consolidation and a lot of the communities weren't happy about it.

The high school sits in the middle of the district but not in any of the towns. A few years ago we had a kid who we all looked at as a potential stud when he was a freshman but the kid's parents wouldn't let him stay after school to lift in the offseason or bring him to lifting in the summer. Just recently I had to drive out to his neighbor's house and I realized what the parents were up against. It was quite the hike and not the easiest of drives. We actually lose a lot of kids to open enrollment to other districts simply because it's easier to get kids to other schools than it is ours.

State2013-1

Yeah. Actually set up very similar to Marion Local in that it's a bunch of towns consolidated into one district in the 1950s. Biggest difference is it was a forced consolidation and a lot of the communities weren't happy about it.

The high school sits in the middle of the district but not in any of the towns. A few years ago we had a kid who we all looked at as a potential stud when he was a freshman but the kid's parents wouldn't let him stay after school to lift in the offseason or bring him to lifting in the summer. Just recently I had to drive out to his neighbor's house and I realized what the parents were up against. It was quite the hike and not the easiest of drives. We actually lose a lot of kids to open enrollment to other districts simply because it's easier to get kids to other schools than it is ours.
What is kind of nice is a lot of the time at Marion an underclassman will find an upperclassman that they live near and they hitch rides from them for football. I'm not sure if you have a lot of that going on but it definitely makes parents lives a lot easier.

serpico

It’s probably more difficult for most ML kids to get to early morning weights than in neighboring towns because probably 90% of them live more than a mile from the school and walking isn’t a great option.

StateChampion2012

What school do you support?

BelowTheLine

What is kind of nice is a lot of the time at Marion an underclassman will find an upperclassman that they live near and they hitch rides from them for football. I'm not sure if you have a lot of that going on but it definitely makes parents lives a lot easier.
Not enough LOL.

So this is kind of interesting to me. I found this map and as I look at it it seems like a lot of the traditional small school powers (ML, Kirtland, Ironton, etc) do have pretty small geographical areas. Meanwhile, I could see distance being a huge issue at a school like Parkway. That district seems huge.

Basement Bias

Not enough LOL.

So this is kind of interesting to me. I found this map and as I look at it it seems like a lot of the traditional small school powers (ML, Kirtland, Ironton, etc) do have pretty small geographical areas. Meanwhile, I could see distance being a huge issue at a school like Parkway. That district seems huge.

Don't get me started on the Parkway, Crestview, & Van Wert districts and how they screwed up back in the day. Definitely could have done the districts better.

Not enough LOL.

According to this probably inaccurate website, Parkway is the 38th largest school district by area in the state.

The MAC as a whole (from largest to smallest)
Parkway: 38
Versailles: 193
Fort Recovery: 254
Marion Local: 281
St. Henry: 306
Coldwater: 333
New Bremen: 381
Minster: 414
New Knoxville: 434

Anna, who we all know isn't really in the MAC, is 222nd. For reference, Delphos City School is 287th.

CJK84

Some families in the Versailles school district live north (and northwest and northeast) of North Star - they live closer to Ansonia high school, St. Henry high school, and Marion high school. Their drive to Versailles high school is at least 15 minutes.

Not far, of course, but a pain for parents if they must drop off a young athlete and then pick him back up later. Many of them likely carpool, or older kids pick up the younger high school kids.

Thavoice

According to this probably inaccurate website, Parkway is the 38th largest school district by area in the state.

Anna, who we all know isn't really in the MAC, is 222nd. For reference, Delphos City School is 287th.
Not surprised. When Mendon Onion closed I believe much of that area went to PW.

CJK84

And the border between the Versailles and Marion school districts is all over the place. There are families who live north of North Star - Ft. Loramie Road, for example, whose kids attend Versailles, while other families who live south of those Versailles families attend ML.

Apparently, when the modern districts of these two were drawn up in the 1950s, parents on the border had the choice of which district to send their kids to, leading to an odd geographical "boundary" between the two.

Many other Ohio school districts probably have similar hodge-podge borders.

CJK84

Girls hs basketball has begun. I believe the top teams in the MAC will be Parkway and Coldwater. Perhaps NB and Minster will be up there too - I'm not really sure.

Should be some great games.

Buck1977

Do they still have bicycles where you live?

Secondly, you are going to have to tell me the district that has the school a 30 minutes drive from the outer most point in the district. 20 miles to the school?

Thavoice

MAC peeps....
What's your guess...

What percentage of your players live 10 min or less from school?

CW ID say 90%

We are so blessed that our school AND amazing park are so centralized that many, kids and fans, can and do walk or bike to school and events.

So many places the ahools are being built well outside if village proper

Almost Prideful

You may owe him an old fashioned every morning, but it's worth it to save your mom the trouble.

BirdDog10

Not enough LOL.

It's definitely an advantage. Paulding was a part of our conference for years. They struggled in every sport since the mid-90's even though they were significantly bigger than most schools in the area. Doesn't make sense until you drive around the district, there's a decent sized town where the high school is located but most of the district is spread out all across Paulding County. Hard to get kids to make it to after school sports when they have a 30 minute drive one way

MacAction

Most MAC schools are similar to Marion, most have workouts early morning 3-4 times a week in the summer. Minster I know starts at 6 am.

BelowTheLine

So this is the district square mileage size according to ODE for some of the small school state champs and traditional powerhouses

McComb - 102
Versailles - 76
Anna - 68
Fort Recovery - 61
Marion Local - 53
St. Henry - 50
Carey - 50
Coldwater - 44
New Bremen - 36
Minster - 30
Kirtland - 25
Orrville - 25