Midwest Athletic Conference 2022

StateChampion2012

Welp I guess its that time again! Here's my prediction that will probably be edited a few times as I learn more about each team.

1. Marion Local - Lose some talent but will be well coached and kids will step up

2. Versailles - Tigerball had a good JV team and if they develop the way they should, V-Town could win the league.

3. Coldwater - We also had a good JV team and could develop into something. Need to replace our interior linemen and quite a few skill position players but I see the pieces there to potentially be something special.

4. New Bremen - Kind of flying in low under my radar. They return David Homan at QB and Hunter Schaefer at RB. As for everything else, I'm not really that sure.

5. St Henry - How do you replace Owen Lefeld? That is the question. Return some huge linemen and Bryce Brookhart at QB

6. Anna - I see them as similar to last year. Maybe a little better

7. Delphos St Johns- I put them here because they played us tough and their JV team beat us. Still just as well coached as ever but Depth is still an issue. Maybe they could be better than I think.

8. Minster - Give coach Whiting some time. They were insainely young last year. Would love to see them finish higher but need to learn more about the wildcats.

9. Fort Recovery - Now is when i start to have lots of questions. Fort had a lean year in numbers. Will those numbers improve? Who do they return? Idk how to gauge the Indians quite yet. @IndianaBanana @fortfan

10. Parkway - Return Eddie Nichols at running back and Fletcher Smith at QB. Numbers are as down as ever.

Feel free to crotique.

thavoice

As a whole, the MAC is expected to be way down next year so it is fortunate they made some hay this year with 2 Gold and a Silver.

With that said, when are they going to take a look at enrollment and possibly adjust the divisions?

For the MAC to have its best possible successful outcome would be if the Flyers move up to DVI as I think they can compete and win that title and that would allow NB and SH to be able to have a shot in D7.

Tigerball had a great run this year but lose almost everyone. I see this being a carbon copy of Anna post 2019. Plus, Kirtland will be on a mission. I heard they went directly from the bus to the weight room and a conditioning session so I expect the D5 crown to go back to the Hornets in 2021.

In OOC games, I know that St Henry picked up Archbold instead of FF which could pose a problem from the Skins.

Coldwater picks up D3 Bellefontaine next year that was ranked and undefeated half way through 2021 before injuries ravaged them. WIth it being in Week 2 I expect CW will still be working through some growing pains in replacing so much of their starters. Bellefontaine has a RB that is super talented and one that CW has not seen in the regular season in a very long time and also a QB with a rocket arm. He worked his way into the lineup as a FROSH I believe and made tremendous strides. Kenton cannot be as bad as they were last year but could see CW losing 3-4 regular season games. BUT....with the 16 teams making it those 2 OOC arent quite as important as they used to be.

What other OOC games will y'all have next year?

Over/under 3 years that the league goes to a 9 game conference schedule? Do you think maybe they wait and see if the 16 team playoff field makes it easier to schedule some OOC games?

It ended up being a good year and as Meatloaf said, '2 outta 3 aint bad'.

Now...go out and make some noise in hoops and on the diamond next spring!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless America.
God Bless the MAC
And....
God Bless the Coldwater Cavaliers.

IndianaBanana

From what I'm seeing in front of me, Fort really only returns Rammel at QB, but not really sure if there's any notable receivers to complement him. Logan Homan will be missed for sure. With that being said Troy Homan might be something. The freshman Hartnagel ran the ball for us a few times and wasn't too shabby so maybe see him develop? idk.
Looking at what the Indians have coming up in the middle school ranks, this past season the 8th grade went 5-2-2. That's good. BUT the 7th went 0-6-1. That's bad. Can't win with just one good class in HS football, I've seen it happen a lot with FR. Though, the JH kids can absolutely develop but if they get use to losing, kids get complacent or worse, quit... and the roster list will continue stay skinny.

bigkat

As a whole, the MAC is expected to be way down next year so it is fortunate they made some hay this year with 2 Gold and a Silver.

With that said, when are they going to take a look at enrollment and possibly adjust the divisions?

For the MAC to have its best possible successful outcome would be if the Flyers move up to DVI as I think they can compete and win that title and that would allow NB and SH to be able to have a shot in D7.

Tigerball had a great run this year but lose almost everyone. I see this being a carbon copy of Anna post 2019. Plus, Kirtland will be on a mission. I heard they went directly from the bus to the weight room and a conditioning session so I expect the D5 crown to go back to the Hornets in 2021.

In OOC games, I know that St Henry picked up Archbold instead of FF which could pose a problem from the Skins.

Coldwater picks up D3 Bellefontaine next year that was ranked and undefeated half way through 2021 before injuries ravaged them. WIth it being in Week 2 I expect CW will still be working through some growing pains in replacing so much of their starters. Bellefontaine has a RB that is super talented and one that CW has not seen in the regular season in a very long time and also a QB with a rocket arm. He worked his way into the lineup as a FROSH I believe and made tremendous strides. Kenton cannot be as bad as they were last year but could see CW losing 3-4 regular season games. BUT....with the 16 teams making it those 2 OOC arent quite as important as they used to be.

What other OOC games will y'all have next year?

Over/under 3 years that the league goes to a 9 game conference schedule? Do you think maybe they wait and see if the 16 team playoff field makes it easier to schedule some OOC games?

It ended up being a good year and as Meatloaf said, '2 outta 3 aint bad'.

Now...go out and make some noise in hoops and on the diamond next spring!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless America.
God Bless the MAC
And....
God Bless the Coldwater Cavaliers.
enrollment figures will decide next years new divisions....

Anna had just 4 juniors on their team after the 2019 year.. Tigerball, my understanding has a bunch of players that will be seniors, and have a real good class of Soph, that will be Juniors next year....

hssports#1

Welp I guess its that time again! Here's my prediction that will probably be edited a few times as I learn more about each team.

1. Marion Local - Lose some talent but will be well coached and kids will step up

2. Versailles - Tigerball had a good JV team and if they develop the way they should, V-Town could win the league.

3. Coldwater - We also had a good JV team and could develop into something. Need to replace our interior linemen and quite a few skill position players but I see the pieces there to potentially be something special.

4. New Bremen - Kind of flying in low under my radar. They return David Homan at QB and Hunter Schaefer at RB. As for everything else, I'm not really that sure.

5. St Henry - How do you replace Owen Lefeld? That is the question. Return some huge linemen and Bryce Brookhart at QB

7. Delphos St Johns- I put them here because they played us tough and their JV team beat us. Still just as well coached as ever but Depth is still an issue. Maybe they could be better than I think.

8. Minster - Give coach Whiting some time. They were insainely young last year. Would love to see them finish higher but need to learn more about the wildcats.

9. Fort Recovery - Now is when i start to have lots of questions. Fort had a lean year in numbers. Will those numbers improve? Who do they return? Idk how to gauge the Indians quite yet. @IndianaBanana @fortfan

10. Parkway - Return Eddie Nichols at running back and Fletcher Smith at QB. Numbers are as down as ever.

Feel free to crotique.
I could see St. John’s getting into the number 5 slot. They looked much better this past season. If they can improve some and lean on Paddubny, their powerful running back, they could bump up in the MAC.

thavoice

enrollment figures will decide next years new divisions....

Anna had just 4 juniors on their team after the 2019 year.. Tigerball, my understanding has a bunch of players that will be seniors, and have a real good class of Soph, that will be Juniors next year....
I am aware how it is done. I was just wondering if next year was going to be the next time they recalcuate it as I thought the Vid wrecked the every 2 year cycle they were using.

bigkat

I am aware how it is done. I was just wondering if next year was going to be the next time they recalcuate it as I thought the Vid wrecked the every 2 year cycle they were using.
yes, they held onto the same div for 3 years instead of the usual 2, dang China Virus...

BelowTheLine

Can anyone explain to someone from across the state why Parkway is so non-competitive? Do they just not care about football?

thavoice

Can anyone explain to someone from across the state why Parkway is so non-competitive? Do they just not care about football?
2007 was their best in recent memory at 8-2. They did not make the playoffs. That was year 2 of Anna in the league and playing 9 league games. The MAC immediately changed in 2008 to a rotating schedule to allow each team to have 2 OOC games to allow for more harbins. They did win their OOC game that year.

Since then they fell flat. One has to wonder, maybe, juuust maybe if that 8-2 record would have got them into the playoffs and had some success if they would have been able to turn it around. Success breeds success.

Since 2008 the league has been set up to HELP the lesser fortunate teams, such as PW, to not play one of the top teams in the league (most years it would be Coldwater or Marion Local). For whatever reason, and we can talk about it until the cows come home, PW has been the only program in the league to not be able to take advantage of that in the last 13 or so years.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe their last playoff appearance was in 1999, the first year of 8 teams per region. (6 MAC teams made the playoffs that season out of 8!) They won their first playoff game and lost to St Henry in week 12. I want to say that was a day playoff game in Celina as i believe we went to that game and then to another playoff game that evening.

Former Coldwater coach, John Reed (God Bless His Soul), went 33-6-1 with Parkway. Since 1977, they have had only 9 winning seasons, and just one since 2000.

So, that is an explanation that does not answer your question one bit, but it does give a brief history of PW since 1999.

Feel free to crotique.
I think Marion goes 16-0. It will be difficult to do anything on these guys. Return Meier, Seitz, Eifert and Fleck at Linebacker. That will be one of the best that I can think of ever in Marion history. Offense will be better than this past year IMO. Especially, if Seitz is fully healthy for the whole season. Still have younger Otte and Lause to run. I just think they will dominate opponents.

I believe Versailles will be good but I don't think they will be as good as this year. I know the Junior class is pretty good but they still have to replace a ton of Starters.

Coldwater is going to be interesting. I'm assuming Blasingame goes to QB. He was electric last time I saw him at QB in Junior High. Gonna have to replace 3 other receivers not including Blasingame. Evan Homan is a stud at Left Tackle. Will Fox really good Right Tackle. Need Sudhoff back from Injury. He is a bulldog linebacker and fullback. Defense will need by my count 6 new starters. As StateChampion said our JV was pretty good. So that is a good sign. Hopefully, everything falls into place and the Cavaliers can get back to the State Finals and hopefully win next year.

New Bremen will be good because they have Dave Homan and a really good Junior class.

I would put Anna at 5.
I would put Delphos at 6.
I would put St. Henry at 7. They lose a ton. Gonna be hard to replace.
I'm not sure how I would put the last 3.

thavoice

I think Marion goes 16-0. It will be difficult to do anything on these guys. Return Meier, Seitz, Eifert and Fleck at Linebacker. That will be one of the best that I can think of ever in Marion history.
and THAT is saying a lot.

Stirred not Shaken

I think Marion goes 16-0. It will be difficult to do anything on these guys. Return Meier, Seitz, Eifert and Fleck at Linebacker. That will be one of the best that I can think of ever in Marion history. Offense will be better than this past year IMO. Especially, if Seitz is fully healthy for the whole season. Still have younger Otte and Lause to run. I just think they will dominate opponents.

I believe Versailles will be good but I don't think they will be as good as this year. I know the Junior class is pretty good but they still have to replace a ton of Starters.

Coldwater is going to be interesting. I'm assuming Blasingame goes to QB. He was electric last time I saw him at QB in Junior High. Gonna have to replace 3 other receivers not including Blasingame. Evan Homan is a stud at Left Tackle. Will Fox really good Right Tackle. Need Sudhoff back from Injury. He is a bulldog linebacker and fullback. Defense will need by my count 6 new starters. As StateChampion said our JV was pretty good. So that is a good sign. Hopefully, everything falls into place and the Cavaliers can get back to the State Finals and hopefully win next year.

New Bremen will be good because they have Dave Homan and a really good Junior class.

I would put Anna at 5.
I would put Delphos at 6.
I would put St. Henry at 7. They lose a ton. Gonna be hard to replace.
I'm not sure how I would put the last 3.
Fleck is a sr. however ML has a frosh who will start next year at linebacker, who looks the part. If Seitz can return to his sophomore form yeah next year maybe the best group of linebackers ML has ever had. If Lause decides to play football and Kyle Otte is 100% after his knee injury the Flyers will have plenty of depth at rb but I thought that to be the case this year as well and injuries really cut into that depth. Personally think NB will be very good with Homan returning at QB.

thavoice

Fleck is a sr. however ML has a frosh who will start next year at linebacker, who looks the part. If Seitz can return to his sophomore form yeah next year maybe the best group of linebackers ML has ever had. If Lause decides to play football and Kyle Otte is 100% after his knee injury the Flyers will have plenty of depth at rb but I thought that to be the case this year as well and injuries really cut into that depth. Personally think NB will be very good with Homan returning at QB.
Any chance they move up to D6?

My bad. Thought Fleck was a Junior.

fortfan

From what I'm seeing in front of me, Fort really only returns Rammel at QB, but not really sure if there's any notable receivers to complement him. Logan Homan will be missed for sure. With that being said Troy Homan might be something. The freshman Hartnagel ran the ball for us a few times and wasn't too shabby so maybe see him develop? idk.
Looking at what the Indians have coming up in the middle school ranks, this past season the 8th grade went 5-2-2. That's good. BUT the 7th went 0-6-1. That's bad. Can't win with just one good class in HS football, I've seen it happen a lot with FR. Though, the JH kids can absolutely develop but if they get use to losing, kids get complacent or worse, quit... and the roster list will continue stay skinny.

Reece Guggenbiller was a top receiver as a freshman/sophomore????. Hartnagel will be good. Homan will be good. Center Bo Thien returns. Chase Kaiser returns-he has great speed, needs to get bigger. Owen Knapke played some good linebacker. It seems like we never suffer from a lack of good athletes, we just don't get the size needed to contend with the big guys from ML and CW. Numbers should be a little better.

CJK84

It'll be interesting to see the direction Versailles goes with the qb position. Conner Stonebraker is 6'7" and has a strong, accurate arm. He's a pocket qb who tore up opposing jv defenses this past season.

Or Michael Osborne, a qb until being moved to receiver this past season. He is highly mobile and might fit into the Tigers' current scheme really well (similar skill set to Bey), but the loss at receiver could be an issue.

Stonebraker will be a sr, Osborne a jr.

Every single year I get on these MAC threads and read about how "young" and "down" the MAC people think they will be. Please stop. Every other conference in the state would kill for your success. Got a good buddy of mine coaching next door that has won 10+ games the last 4 years and he always tells me "man we are going to be so young next year" and shakes his head. Like just stop with the MAC is young or down talk. You don't know "down" or "young" until you've coached in some of the gutters of Ohio haha trust me. I got receivers lining up 6 yards in the backfield, centers that run warp speed up to the ball that was tackled outside the hash and get in a 3 point stance while spotting the ball right there themselves, defensive backs that have no clue where their help is, and tailbacks that stand straight up in their stance b/c they saw Todd Gurley do it.

Last edited:

thavoice

It'll be interesting to see the direction Versailles goes with the qb position. Conner Stonebraker is 6'7" and has a strong, accurate arm. He's a pocket qb who tore up opposing jv defenses this past season.

Or Michael Osborne, a qb until being moved to receiver this past season. He is highly mobile and might fit into the Tigers' current scheme really well (similar skill set to Bey), but the loss at receiver could be an issue.

Stonebraker will be a sr, Osborne a jr.
A mobile QB is highly sought after and just opens up an offense so much more and having the ball in his hands on every snap and so much more than just having him as a RB.
See Brody Hoying in CW. Any given play could end up in a big one, even a broken play.

Is that tall dude athletic enough to play another p everyosition to take advantage of all their assets full

1) In the other MAC schools, I would guess somewhere in the vicinity of 70-80% (maybe higher?) of the parents in the community work for themselves. They own their own business or are farmers. At Parkway, that number might be 10-15%. So at other MAC schools, MAYBE 20% of the parents come home and talk about how stupid their boss is, doesn't know what he's doing, etc...at Parkway, that number is 70-80%. So, these miserable bastards pass on the toxic trait of thinking anyone above them is a clown to their kids. So the kids don't respect or listen to the coaches, the coaches feel like they shouldn't have to build trust or relationships with their players, and the cycle repeats and repeats and repeats, and you find yourself with a terrible program with no hope of ever getting out of the cycle, sans hiring someone who will come in right away and command respect. But that person's never going to take the job in the first place.

2) I think this is a similar point to my first point, but still worth making. There are 614 school districts in Ohio. Everyone in the MAC is in the top 200 of highest median household income, except for Parkway and Delphos St. John's. So, in general, kids from 8 other MAC schools have a somewhat put-together idea of how they're going to pay for college. At Parkway, generally, you're on the hook for your own tuition. So you get a job when you're 15 or 16 and start saving up. And if you have to choose between spending all year getting ready for a season when you're about to go 1-9 or 2-8, or having a job and some money, you're probably gonna go ahead and choose option #2.

3) Parkway continues to hire the coaches who all say the exact same thing. "We're gonna get in the weight room and get bigger, faster, and stronger. That's how we're gonna build a program. Weight room, weight room, weight room". And I'm not discrediting that. It's definitely a big factor in having a good program. But you know what, until you get someone who has any idea how to out scheme even the 7th or 8th best coach in the MAC, you're not gonna go anywhere. Is Marion Local good because they do their work in the weight room? Yeah, but having an absolute tactician for a head coach makes them the best program in the state. In the MAC, you can't have a one-track mind. You have to be great at everything and Parkway's never gotten anywhere close to hiring anyone that has been committed to anything other than the weight room.

4) Parkway has coached their football players like monkies. You do this on this play, because that's what I told you to do. They don't develop any football IQ. If you were to ask the players why they're doing what they're doing on any given play, I'm not sure how many would be able to give you the right answer. And it's been that way for generations.

5) Parkway has no identity as a football program, or as a school for that matter. What's Parkway's logo? Is it a P? Is it a Panther? If you asked the kids, teachers, community, etc...what it means to be a Parkway Panther, you'll get 1000 different answers. If you asked the football players what Parkway's football identity is, you'd get 40 different answers. If I asked you to close your eyes and think about what one individual play looked like for Coldwater, Versailles, Marion Local, St. Henry, Delphos St. John's, etc...you'd be able to tell me what their uniforms looked like, and generally, what play they were running. Now do it for Parkway. You've got no idea. And it's not because they've been so unremarkable, but because it's changed so often, both schematically and aesthetically, and no one has ever taken the time to even try to rectify it.

thavoice

1) In the other MAC schools, I would guess somewhere in the vicinity of 70-80% (maybe higher?) of the parents in the community work for themselves. They own their own business or are farmers. At Parkway, that number might be 10-15%. So at other MAC schools, MAYBE 20% of the parents come home and talk about how stupid their boss is, doesn't know what he's doing, etc...at Parkway, that number is 70-80%. So, these miserable bastards pass on the toxic trait of thinking anyone above them is a clown to their kids. So the kids don't respect or listen to the coaches, the coaches feel like they shouldn't have to build trust or relationships with their players, and the cycle repeats and repeats and repeats, and you find yourself with a terrible program with no hope of ever getting out of the cycle, sans hiring someone who will come in right away and command respect. But that person's never going to take the job in the first place.

2) I think this is a similar point to my first point, but still worth making. There are 614 school districts in Ohio. Everyone in the MAC is in the top 200 of highest median household income, except for Parkway and Delphos St. John's. So, in general, kids from 8 other MAC schools have a somewhat put-together idea of how they're going to pay for college. At Parkway, generally, you're on the hook for your own tuition. So you get a job when you're 15 or 16 and start saving up. And if you have to choose between spending all year getting ready for a season when you're about to go 1-9 or 2-8, or having a job and some money, you're probably gonna go ahead and choose option #2.

3) Parkway continues to hire the coaches who all say the exact same thing. "We're gonna get in the weight room and get bigger, faster, and stronger. That's how we're gonna build a program. Weight room, weight room, weight room". And I'm not discrediting that. It's definitely a big factor in having a good program. But you know what, until you get someone who has any idea how to out scheme even the 7th or 8th best coach in the MAC, you're not gonna go anywhere. Is Marion Local good because they do their work in the weight room? Yeah, but having an absolute tactician for a head coach makes them the best program in the state. In the MAC, you can't have a one-track mind. You have to be great at everything and Parkway's never gotten anywhere close to hiring anyone that has been committed to anything other than the weight room.

4) Parkway has coached their football players like monkies. You do this on this play, because that's what I told you to do. They don't develop any football IQ. If you were to ask the players why they're doing what they're doing on any given play, I'm not sure how many would be able to give you the right answer. And it's been that way for generations.

5) Parkway has no identity as a football program, or as a school for that matter. What's Parkway's logo? Is it a P? Is it a Panther? If you asked the kids, teachers, community, etc...what it means to be a Parkway Panther, you'll get 1000 different answers. If you asked the football players what Parkway's football identity is, you'd get 40 different answers. If I asked you to close your eyes and think about what one individual play looked like for Coldwater, Versailles, Marion Local, St. Henry, Delphos St. John's, etc...you'd be able to tell me what their uniforms looked like, and generally, what play they were running. Now do it for Parkway. You've got no idea. And it's not because they've been so unremarkable, but because it's changed so often, both schematically and aesthetically, and no one has ever taken the time to even try to rectify it.
I disagree, except for maybe at Marion Local.

True, the MC is one of, if not thee, agricultural leader in Ohio but I dont see 70-80% of the parents of the players who own their own biz or are farmers.

PW identity: True. Each coach tries to change the culture and they try to rip off some college/nfl style! Still waiting for them to go highligher colors like Oregon! That may be the next coach

What PW does need is to hire Coach Cramer, who was the architect of the MSML juggernaut

Stirred not Shaken

I disagree, except for maybe at Marion Local.

True, the MC is one of, if not thee, agricultural leader in Ohio but I dont see 70-80% of the parents of the players who own their own biz or are farmers.

PW identity: True. Each coach tries to change the culture and they try to rip off some college/nfl style! Still waiting for them to go highligher colors like Oregon! That may be the next coach

What PW does need is to hire Coach Cramer, who was the architect of the MSML juggernaut
Not even at ML. I have only one neighbor who owns his own business (actually it's his parents). 1st PW has to hire a good coach, only one they ever had was Reed who won a lot at Parkway.

State2013

Not even at ML. I have only one neighbor who owns his own business (actually it's his parents). 1st PW has to hire a good coach, only one they ever had was Reed who won a lot at Parkway.
I agree, Midmark, Crown, Precision Strip, etc. hire a lot of the Marion crowd. They need a coach that can draw up the X's and O's but also convey to the players why they run them that way. They also need to tell the players that just because a play is drawn up like it is doesn't mean that's exactly how it's going to run every time. There are in play adjustments such as where linebackers sink on a zone play on defense and where the safety needs to fill for a blitzing linebacker on certain plays. They need a student of the game as well as a coach.

thavoice

The first thing I take notice when I attend games is numbers. How many kids are out? How many in the band? How many cheerleaders? Just pretty much the overall participation. Sort of gives me some insight on school pride, etc, that the kids have in the school.

For those of you who are smarter than I, and that is everyone on Yappi sans 3-4 people, are there kid roaming the halls in PW that would be able to help the football program?

One of the biggest aspect of large numbers that many MAC teams generally have is it has a higher probability that they are capturing the athletes that can help the team.

Tough to have a successful program when some of the best athletes are golfing, running XC or just flat out not doing anything.

It is easy for us to say, no doubt, but I feel a grass roots effort to get those kids out in 7th grade is paramount.

For the record for the outsiders who do not know but the MAC have very few teams with football below 7th grade. Delphos has midget football, does anyone else? The Rec used to (got rid if it...and then had succcess in HS), Parkway used to I think. I know when I was more involved in the area there were parents wanting to get rid of the yute football, or at the very least, convert it to flag football.

Last edited:

bigkat

Every single year I get on these MAC threads and read about how "young" and "down" the MAC people think they will be. Please stop. Every other conference in the state would kill for your success. Got a good buddy of mine coaching next door that has won 10+ games the last 4 years and he always tells me "man we are going to be so young next year" and shakes his head. Like just stop with the MAC is young or down talk. You don't know "down" or "young" until you've coached in some of the gutters of Ohio haha trust me. I got receivers lining up 6 yards in the backfield, centers that run warp speed up to the ball that was tackled outside the hash and get in a 3 point stance while spotting the ball right there themselves, defensive backs that have no clue where their help is, and tailbacks that stand straight up in their stance b/c they saw Todd Gurley do it.
I think Chubb does that to?