Midwest Athletic Conference 2020

Spencerville would compete in basketball, soccer, and track very well on the girls side. That said, I guess it makes for good talking points, but everyone thinks the NWC is running for the hills and the MAC will be giving members to the NWC for some reason.

From what I hear, Paulding is staying put, but many think they will go to the GMC with the likes of Wayne Trace, Fairview, etc. Makes sense travel wise, but they are a very long standing member in the NWC. In my opinion, Parkway and DSJ would have to be voted out of the MAC. And Spencerville wouldn't go anywhere. They are a hardened member of the NWC and they have next to no reason to leave.

While football and volleyball are superior in the MAC, I could make the argument that basketball, soccer, and softball are superior in the NWC. Track, XC (outside of Minster...but see Lincolnview) and baseball are probably on similar levels between conferences. Thus, it would just depend on who is looking for what.
MAC has 15 state baseball titles ( 5 different schools have won a title ) and 23 state bball titles 13 girls ( 6 different schools ) 10 boys ( 4 different schools ) .
NWC must have won a lot of bball titles I never heard of that they are superior to the MAC.

Last edited:
MAC has 15 state baseball titles ( 5 different schools have won a title ) and 23 state bball titles 13 girls ( 6 different schools ) 10 boys ( 4 different schools ) .
NWC must have won a lot of bball titles I never heard of that they are superior to the MAC.
Yeah. We can all pull out the "way back machine" and find titles. Your conference site does a great job breaking them down. Some great success all time. Some nice success lately in baseball. Depends on what our comparisons are. If we are going the past 20 years, I would say my assessment is fairly accurate. I suppose I could count the LCC and Elida and Bath years and put some more meat on the NWC bones but won't.

Versailles has done a great job at bringing home titles for the MAC on the girls side in bball. Minster is up there. Not a ton of deep basketball talent past that on a regular basis lately (for the ladies). Baseball has had an insurgence of excellence lately in the MAC. Won't take anything away. But, I would certainly take the conferences top to bottom and compare success/deep playoff runs in basketball, acme, and school baseball and say that there is some very even talent across the board.

Bottom line is that this board started suggesting that the MAC would kick DSJ and Parkway and send them to the NWC. Not gonna happen. Then, somehow, every NWC school wants to leave. Not gonna happen. But a comparison was put up as to whether certain schools could compete on the girls side or in other sports NWC to MAC. My point is that there would definitely be titles won by NWC schools in multiple sports on a yearly basis if the two conferences combined sports on both the mens and women's side. In fact, I would even take some of the NWC football in sparing years (late90s/early 2000s, 2018/2019) and say that the Groves and Jeffersons and Crestviews could have been in the hunt for a title if the sports combined.

Definitely some good talking points. Top to bottom, I would love to see more shootouts, etc with neighboring counties and neighboring conferences.

Yeah. We can all pull out the "way back machine" and find titles.
LOL most of MAC titles have come since the 90's. But is 2000 recent enough for ya. The MAC has had 28 teams make it to state in bball since 2000, in that time period I think every school in the MAC has send a team to state except Coldwater, Parkway, and New Bremen. Think about all the MAC teams that were def. by other MAC schools in the tourney that may have made it to state.

LOL most of MAC titles have come since the 90's. But is 2000 recent enough for ya. The MAC has had 28 teams make it to state in bball since 2000, in that time period I think every school in the MAC has send a team to state except Coldwater, Parkway, and New Bremen. Think about all the MAC teams that were def. by other MAC schools in the tourney that may have made it to state.

Yep-we beat ourselves up in Sectionals and District.

Wrestling in the MAC: Delphos SJ, Coldwater, Versailles and Parkway. DSJ has had wrestling since 1969 and Parkway just started wrestling 4-5 years ago. Several other MAC schools are more than big enough to have wrestling but for some reason don't.

Wrestling would not be very popular with how much pride the MAC puts into basketball. Versailles is so dominant no other team would even compete. Versailles would compete for the WBL title on a year to year basis.

11 appearances by Minster and Versailles girls (around 40% of said state appearances). Your Flyers decently represented. Outside of that, Versailles, Minster, and DSJ (the team everyone on here is trying to get rid of) are the most prevalent teams in state.

As far as knocking each other out......ehhhhh......we send half our conference to a super sectional with the MAC and PCL schools and are ingrained in knocking each other out. Crestview, Lincolnview, DSJ, St. Henry etc have been throwing eachother's state teams to the curb for years (St. Henry left our super sectional in the last couple of years). We feel that one too.

Wrestling would not be very popular with how much pride the MAC puts into basketball. Versailles is so dominant no other team would even compete. Versailles would compete for the WBL title on a year to year basis.
I don't know much about the wrestling culture as it is new to our school, but that's pretty crazy thinking how good Versailles is or has been in nearly every sport. Being dominant in wrestling is a big deal when they have put out great basketball teams in the past couple of decades as well. Very athletic school.

I don't know much about the wrestling culture as it is new to our school, but that's pretty crazy thinking how good Versailles is or has been in nearly every sport. Being dominant in wrestling is a big deal when they have put out great basketball teams in the past couple of decades as well. Very athletic school.
Would still be good in football if they could stick to one system for more than 2 years before finding a new coach. Longevity killed that program after Hetrick retired. They've had some nice athletes and hard hitting kids come through that program over the years that were wasted.

Being arguably the biggest school in the MAC helps a lot with that

It will be interesting to see if the wrestling culture will grow there. I hope so, as they have a couple of good coaches in the youth program and Jake is very good with the new middle school program. Has anyone been discussed for the high school position? I think the individual they wanted is not interested in that spot. Maybe Jake will take it and delegate the middle school to another coach.

Would still be good in football if they could stick to one system for more than 2 years before finding a new coach. Longevity killed that program after Hetrick retired. They've had some nice athletes and hard hitting kids come through that program over the years that were wasted.

Not sure about the longevity argument. Coach Miller was there 7 seasons (2012-2018) and compiled a 30-42 record. Before that Olwin went 23-19 in four years (2008-2011).

Not sure about the longevity argument. Coach Miller was there 7 seasons (2012-2018) and compiled a 30-42 record. Before that Olwin went 23-19 in four years (2008-2011).
I really thought they were on the right path a few years ago. They had a good, young QB under Olwin and the new offense seemed to have taken hold.
They faced CW in the second round of the playoffs that year and that QB had an injury early in the game and the game got out of hand. I want to say Olwin left after that season and that 9-3 season. He took over a 2-8 team and his last year the were 9-3.

They dropped off immediately, but did make the playoffs in 2014 when they snuck in with a 6-4 record.

Who knows what happens if Olwin had stayed......

You got me, I didn't realize miller was there that long. I guess they should just go back to the old wing T offense that Hetrick ran and see if it still works! It's probably just more of a change in discipline, they probably had to completely buy in and breathing anything short of excellence was not acceptable with Hetrick and the other coaches just can't get the same mantra and swagger out of their players.

You got me, I didn't realize miller was there that long. I guess they should just go back to the old wing T offense that Hetrick ran and see if it still works! It's probably just more of a change in discipline, they probably had to completely buy in and breathing anything short of excellence was not acceptable with Hetrick and the other coaches just can't get the same mantra and swagger out of their players.
As the old saying goes nice guys finish last esp. in coaching. Of course their are exceptions.

Rumor has it that Akron St. Vincent St. Mary’s wants to play the New Bremen week 1 next year. What would be the advantages to play a D3 school?

If so, the game better be at New Bremen.

neutral field
[2019] St. Vincent-St. Mary (Akron, OH) 28, [2019] New Bremen (OH) 12

Rumor has it that Akron St. Vincent St. Mary’s wants to play the New Bremen week 1 next year. What would be the advantages to play a D3 school?
Not a good idea. Idk why you'd even consider SVSM. Even if they are down on talent, they'd still have more talent than a MAC school. Not sure who is even open in week 1 to suggest an opponent.

Last edited:
Just difficult to understand accepting this game. We barely made playoffs at 7-3 this fall. We lose 4 starters on offense and 5 on defense. Have some good underclassmen that can fill the open spots, but the physicality will be on another level as they have some D1 college talent.

Just difficult to understand accepting this game. We barely made playoffs at 7-3 this fall. We lose 4 starters on offense and 5 on defense. Have some good underclassmen that can fill the open spots, but the physicality will be on another level as they have some D1 college talent.
Cards need to schedule a OOC that they know they can win. Can they beat tUASVSM? One in a million (So you're saying there is a chance........)

...and for the record I think someone is yanking your chain in saying that they want to play NB. Highly doubt that is legit.

...and for the record I think someone is yanking your chain in saying that they want to play NB. Highly doubt that is legit.
You know Voice your very entertaining, but I’m not surprised by your comment. You’ve shown no respect to the cardinals this past season. It’s my mistake for posting. Was told by a friend that one of the coaches told him. I guess unless they contact Coldwater then it’s not legit.

You know Voice your very entertaining, but I’m not surprised by your comment. You’ve shown no respect to the cardinals this past season. It’s my mistake for posting. Was told by a friend that one of the coaches told him. I guess unless they contact Coldwater then it’s not legit.

Voice knows his football but he likes to stir the muck with any team. I see no harm in New Bremen playing SVSM. I doubt it would happen, but a trip to Akron and staying in a hotel is something very few teams around here have a chance of doing. I’m sure SVSM will have some kids playing at the next level and it would be fun for the kids to reminisce and say “hey i played so and so who played at Ohio State when i was in high school.” If I was Bremen, I would take it.