Midwest Athletic Conference 2019

Anna is very, very good no doubt about that. It is no secret their playoff success has been less than desired. They thought joining the MAC would give them tougher competition in season to prepare them for the playoffs and I think this is the year they make their name and I hope they do. Would LOVE to add another school to the Championship Pedigree of the conference.

Anna really is the conference's best shot at a title this year. MSML is a shadow of themselves and should have been beaten last week and I have seen much better MSML teams get beat in the playoffs.
I've never seen (nor has anyone) MSML lose a D VII game. Until it happens, they are the favorite :). Plus, that little win over Anna is probably the most impressive win in the MAC this year (hindsight being 20/20). I will give credit where credit is due, though. Patrick Henry looks pretty good. I like them to knock off Leipsic this week. And I from what I hear, they could give anyone in D VII a run for their money. However, it is the playoffs. Anything is possible.

I have no dog in the D VI fight. I think its really neat to see the backing of the other MAC teams that have been knocked off to support them, though. And if they were to win state, then well deserved. They have had a very fine year for sure.

Great to see the success Coldwater's Brody Hoying is having and has had at Eastern Michigan. I hope he gets a realistic opportunity to play at the next level. I looked at couple of 2020 NFL draft prospect sites and did not see his name in the top 20 safeties for the upcoming NFL draft. Hopefully Hoying gets invited to the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, I believe they invite about 250 potential draftee's. If he can run a solid forty time, maybe he can become a Day 3 pick or a un-drafted free agent signing.

Great to see the success Coldwater's Brody Hoying is having and has had at Eastern Michigan. I hope he gets a realistic opportunity to play at the next level. I looked at couple of 2020 NFL draft prospect sites and did not see his name in the top 20 safeties for the upcoming NFL draft. Hopefully Hoying gets invited to the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, I believe they invite about 250 potential draftee's. If he can run a solid forty time, maybe he can become a Day 3 pick or a un-drafted free agent signing.
Hope so. I would've loved to see him play some slot receiver at the college level. I think it would've worked pretty well

I've never seen (nor has anyone) MSML lose a D VII game. Until it happens, they are the favorite :). Plus, that little win over Anna is probably the most impressive win in the MAC this year (hindsight being 20/20). I will give credit where credit is due, though. Patrick Henry looks pretty good. I like them to knock off Leipsic this week. And I from what I hear, they could give anyone in D VII a run for their money. However, it is the playoffs. Anything is possible.

I have no dog in the D VI fight. I think its really neat to see the backing of the other MAC teams that have been knocked off to support them, though. And if they were to win state, then well deserved. They have had a very fine year for sure.
I would really like to see an ML - PH matchup. The two years that Marion played them in out of conference were just atrocious losses for the Patriots. That was the two years after their last final 4 run where Marion was unfortunately in their way again. If they are as good as advertised this year, with Marion not scoring as many points as in the past, I'd like to see a good defensive battle.

Hope so. I would've loved to see him play some slot receiver at the college level. I think it would've worked pretty well
I concur and thought maybe in the return game. I wonder if his nasty knee injury in his first spring had anything to do with him not getting that shot.
Word was if it happened in the fall he maybave missed two seasons.

Kid was electric as the QB and even though Wenning set records at BS and the NFL, if I had one QB at CW to win a title is pick Brody.

Is this current Anna team among the best MAC teams ever ? I say no because they lost to a 2 loss Marion Local squad that had over 400 yds. of offense in that game. Brought this up just to get it away from the Anna vs Mech. thread.

Seriously, that loss to Marion by itself should disqualify this Anna team from being placed among the best MAC teams ever. I mean there have been teams, 2007 MSML, and 2005 Coldwater for example, who even on their worst day, were still better than this year's MSML squad. Anna can still make their mark and win a state championship. I hope they do. Folks should take a closer look at some of the all-time great MAC teams before comparing this Anna team to them.

I don’t think That game should be brought up considering what they have done lately.... starting week 8 and the dismantle of coldwater and week 11 20+ win over Minster that beat ML only 3 weeks before.... Anna is a different team than they were week 4. Yes week 4 Anna is not but the last 6 weeks may be in the conversation.

Personally since 2010 my top 6 teams would be :
1. 2014 ML
2. 2015 Coldwater
3. 2013 ML
4. 2017 ML
5. 2010 DSJ
6. 2019 Anna ( assuming Rockets win state )

IMO the determining factor that makes the ML 14 team no.1 is who they def.. Flyers that year beat Minster ( D - 6 champs) and CW ( D - 5 champs ).

Last edited:
Can't argue with that. 2014 MSML being the best since 2010. Going back to 2000, as much as I hate to admit, 2005 Coldwater is probably the best team since 2000. I'd love to rank a Marion Local team above them, but just can't.

I agree that 2005 Coldwater was the best ever. And Cav coach John Reed showed great class in consistently keeping the score down in what could have been some hugely lopsided games.
In the regular season Coldwater’s first unit may have only scored a total of about 70 (wild guess) second half points, allowing nearly every opponent to lose by only four or five scores rather than 7-10. Only Versailles gave the Cavs a test in the regular season, falling 35-21.

Since 2000 I would go with the 2014 ML team, def. 2 teams that would go on to win state, closest game 20 - 0 vs. Coldwater.. However of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I agree that 2005 Coldwater was the best ever. And Cav coach John Reed showed great class in consistently keeping the score down in what could have been some hugely lopsided games.
In the regular season Coldwater’s first unit may have only scored a total of about 70 (wild guess) second half points, allowing nearly every opponent to lose by only four or five scores rather than 7-10. Only Versailles gave the Cavs a test in the regular season, falling 35-21.
Best ever? There was a St. Henry team from the last century that might disagree.

Yes - best ever. And although Homan was by far the best player for the Cavs that season they were loaded at numerous positions.

Personally since 2010 my top 6 teams would be :
1. 2014 ML
2. 2015 Coldwater
3. 2013 ML
4. 2017 ML
5. 2010 DSJ
6. 2019 Anna ( assuming Rockets win state )

IMO the determining factor that makes the ML 14 team no.1 is who they def.. Flyers that year beat Minster ( D - 6 champs) and CW ( D - 5 champs ).

Even though they had one loss against your number one team, I would say you HAVE to put 2014 Coldwater on there. They had great non conference wins against 11-3 Kenton (1 point loss to probably the best Wapak team ever, and 3 points away from being in the D4 state title game) and 11-3 Hartley. They also beat the state champ Minster by double digits. Then for three straight weeks, they beat 12-0 Liberty Benton in the regional finals, 13-0 Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy in state semifinals, then put a running clock on 14-0 Canton Central Catholic in the state finals. If that’s not the best resume i’ve ever seen, then i don’t know what is.

I can't tell if you're kidding or not.
Coldwater beat Div VI DSJ 35-21 in 2005. You're telling me only Reed's generosity kept that from being a 4-5 score beatdown? I was at that game and remember it very differently.

I think the 1998 and 1999 DSJ teams might get some votes for best MAC team of all time. http://sports.dsjalumni.org/football/season_results.php?Season=1998

I can't tell if you're kidding or not.
Coldwater beat Div VI DSJ 35-21 in 2005. You're telling me only Reed's generosity kept that from being a 4-5 score beatdown? I was at that game and remember it very differently.

I think the 1998 and 1999 DSJ teams might get some votes for best MAC team of all time. http://sports.dsjalumni.org/football/season_results.php?Season=1998
If I read the comment you quoted, it did say SOME of the games.

I had forgotten about the Coldwater-DSJ game of 2005, but I did not recall any close games for the Cavs besides the Versailles game. Thanks for the correction.

I distinctly recall that Coldwater led an overmatched ML team 35-0 at half that year. Mercifully Coldwater tacked on only a fg in the second half. And that same Flyer team led DSJ in the second half of their 2005 regional semi or regional final game 21-14 before succumbing by a 28-21 score (I think that’s right).

So, on second thought, are you sure DSJ got fairly close to Coldwater in 05? I do not recall that, but maybe I’ve forgotten.

Last edited:
IMO again it is subjective, this would be my ranking from 1990 :
1. 2014 ML : 2 wins over teams that would win state, plus closest game 20 - 0 over a Coldwater team that demolished an undefeated CCC team.
2. 1999 DSJ : Closest game 24 - 7 win over Marion Local
3. 2005 Coldwater : Closest game 35 -21 twice vs Versailles and DSJ
4. 2007 ML : Only game decided by less than 22pts. was state final vs "The U" aka Youngstown Ursuline
5. 2017 ML : Def. Coldwater 33 - 0 and Kirtland 34 - 11 in the play offs.
I know their were some great Versailles teams that I just do not remember well. Quite frankly the SH teams of the early 90's, lots of talent but did not overwhelm teams like the ones I have ranked.

IMO again it is subjective, this would be my ranking from 1990 :
1. 2014 ML : 2 wins over teams that would win state, plus closest game 20 - 0 over a Coldwater team that demolished an undefeated CCC team.
2. 1999 DSJ : Closest game 24 - 7 win over Marion Local
3. 2005 Coldwater : Closest game 35 -21 twice vs Versailles and DSJ
4. 2007 ML : Only game decided by less than 22pts. was state final vs "The U" aka Youngstown Ursuline
5. 2017 ML : Def. Coldwater 33 - 0 and Kirtland 34 - 11 in the play offs.
I know their were some great Versailles teams that I just do not remember well. Quite frankly the SH teams of the early 90's, lots of talent but did not overwhelm teams like the ones I have ranked.
Seem pretty dominant to me.
2E6E6F74-D0A7-474B-8B28-44CFF11324C1.jpeg

The knock on the 90 Skins is that they narrowly won the state semi and title games. I don’t think anyone is dismissing them - they were awesome and obviously loaded with talent - but other MAC schools have finished the season in noticeably more dominating fashion.

If I recall correctly, ML defeated Coldwater 35-14 that year (21 points) and beat Lehman 38-22 (16 points). I think Lehman was the only team to score three times on the Flyers - ML pitched a good number of shutouts.

If I recall correctly, ML defeated Coldwater 35-14 that year (21 points) and beat Lehman 38-22 (16 points). I think Lehman was the only team to score three times on the Flyers - ML pitched a good number of shutouts.

They didn't play Lehman in 2007

Speaking of GOATs, I believe the greatest player of all time was likely Ross Homan (my fifth cousin!) - probably had more impact on the field in his high school career than anyone.

Obviously the guys who reached the nfl were eventually awesome too - Lachey, Hartings, Wenning. A final guy whose on-field performance in high school did not match his raw physical skills was Jettingoff (sp?) of DSJ - played from 2011-2013. In an nfl-style combine he could probably have put up some serious numbers at 6’2” and maybe 225 lbs. He was amazingly fast for a big kid - I think he still holds the MAC jr high record in the 100 m dash.

They didn't play Lehman in 2007
Then which ML state champ team beat Lehman 38-22? I had thought it was 07!?! Could they have met in the playoffs that year?

I think my memory is failing me. Maybe it’s time to run for office - do the Democrats need another candidate for president?