Midwest Athletic Conference 2019

Stirred - Anna might be #2. Regardless, I'm guessing there's a pretty big gap between Coldwater and everybody else.
Unfortunately Anna and Minster do not play each other, however I give the Cats the edge because of Stokes although Marino might turn out to be a very good coach ( he is a very good public speaker ).

For those predicting a 5-5 season for ML, consider that Goodwin's teams very nearly always improve a lot throughout the season.

After week 8 in 09, the Flyers were a dolorous 1-5 in the MAC - yet they ended up defeating an 8-1 Anna squad in week 10 and went on to take DSJ to overtime in the state semis!

And Marion has never lost to FR - I believe they're 23-0 against the Indians, so if that streak continues the Flyers could go at least 6-4. I'll admit that picking up even a single victory against Coldwater, Anna, and Minster will certainly be difficult. ML does not play NB.

And back to Marion vs Parkway.

Although Marion has dominated this series since Goodwin arrived, didn't the Flyers just barely defeat the the Panthers in Rockford in 01 (Goodwin's third season)? The games that Friday were played only three days after the 9/11 attacks.

I believe Marion won 21-19, but that a controversial call on a special teams play went Marion's way and might've made the difference. Anyone remember this?

And back to Marion vs Parkway.

Although Marion has dominated this series since Goodwin arrived, didn't the Flyers just barely defeat the the Panthers in Rockford in 01 (Goodwin's third season)? The games that Friday were played only three days after the 9/11 attacks.

I believe Marion won 21-19, but that a controversial call on a special teams play went Marion's way and might've made the difference. Anyone remember this?
According to Joe Eitel' s web site the Flyer's won in 01, 20 - 6. ML could make the play offs at 5 - 5, Woodlan did somehow win last night. However for the Flyers offense IMO to have more success Otte is going to have to be moved to the backfield, his talent for the most part is wasted at wr.

^^^ But ML's already thin at wr and Otte can eventually be solid as a wideout (with an occasional carry coming across the formation). Maybe move Fleck to tailback - he had success running the ball as a tailback in a playoff game vs Spencerville as a soph.

^^^ But ML's already thin at wr and Otte can eventually be solid as a wideout (with an occasional carry coming across the formation). Maybe move Fleck to tailback - he had success running the ball as a tailback in a playoff game vs Spencerville as a soph.
At wr Otte might touch the ball at best 5 or 6 times a game. ML does not have Nate Bruns at QB to stretch the field. Fleck at tailback I agree with otherwise keep Fleck at Fullback and put Otte at Tailback. As Flyer fans we were spoiled with the amount of talent we had on offense the past 5 years this team does not have that luxury.

This weeks ranking take them fwiw :
1. Coldwater
2. Minster
3. Anna
4. Fort Recovery
5. Marion Local
6. New Bremen
7. Parkway
8. Versailles
9. DSJ
10. Saint Henry
My own personal observations so far early in the season : The top 3 have gone through unscathed with Minster having some close games but has played better competition than CW or Anna. Fort Recovery : every football season I think this going to be the year for the Indians but they always come up short against good teams would not surprise me if the Indians do not make the play offs despite having what I personally think is a very talented team. New Bremen has a very bright future with some good skilled talent and a bigger roster to work with. Parkway has 2 good skilled players in Rich and Hawk but not much depth. ML is not reloading but in a rebuilding mode, Versailles ( how do you lose to Celina ) DSJ and SH bringing up the rear.
FR had the injury bug bite them this week. They were missing a key player last night.

I agree. Don't have Bruns slinging it. Let's get the running game going to compliment the run D which seems pretty stout
I somewhat agree, but how strong is this running game going to be if it's not balanced with the threat of a solid passing attack? Which receivers is Muhlenkamp going to be throwing to on his 12-15 attempts each game to keep the defense honest?
A limited passing attack sounds like an invitation to opponents to stack the box.

Bishop Watterson dressed only 36 players against ML (apparently most of their freshman do not dress for varsity games - only three frosh were listed on the roster for this game).

Anyway, with only 36 players, BW had a head coach and 22 assistant coaches - wow!! Bob Hoying is one of the assistants.
Holy cow! 22 assistant coaches? What the blank for? PR?

According to Joe Eitel' s web site the Flyer's won in 01, 20 - 6. ML could make the play offs at 5 - 5, Woodlan did somehow win last night. However for the Flyers offense IMO to have more success Otte is going to have to be moved to the backfield, his talent for the most part is wasted at wr.

Woodlan played Heritage so that's why they won. Woodlan should only win 2 more games this year unless they knock off Bluffton IN this week. They will beat 18 man roster Southern Wells and the terrible Jay County Patriots (who just lost to 18 man Southern Wells). I cannot see them coming close to my beloved AC Jets and will get destroyed by South Adams.

Realistically, how many games will the Flyers win this year? And worst case scenario, can they get in at 5-5?

I still say 7-3, or 6-4.

Woodlan played Heritage so that's why they won. Woodlan should only win 2 more games this year unless they knock off Bluffton IN this week. They will beat 18 man roster Southern Wells and the terrible Jay County Patriots (who just lost to 18 man Southern Wells). I cannot see them coming close to my beloved AC Jets and will get destroyed by South Adams.
Think this is the last year for Millspaugh at JC?

Think this is the last year for Millspaugh at JC?

Have to believe so. They are by far the biggest team in our conference (which has been pathetic lately compared to 10-15+ years ago) and lost to the smallest team who only had 18 players dress! The best they've been in conference is maybe 3rd or 4th I believe. Could be 4th or 5th but not really sure.

Have to believe so. They are by far the biggest team in our conference (which has been pathetic lately compared to 10-15+ years ago) and lost to the smallest team who only had 18 players dress! The best they've been in conference is maybe 3rd or 4th I believe. Could be 4th or 5th but not really sure.
JC just doesn't care about football. It isn't a priority to the school or the kids. It will take a major culture change for JC to become relevant on the gridiron.

At wr Otte might touch the ball at best 5 or 6 times a game. ML does not have Nate Bruns at QB to stretch the field. Fleck at tailback I agree with otherwise keep Fleck at Fullback and put Otte at Tailback. As Flyer fans we were spoiled with the amount of talent we had on offense the past 5 years this team does not have that luxury.
Otte is best used at WR at this point. Marion has a really thin WR core. Keep Fleck at running back, and even though he pulled off the long run for the touchdown against Watterson, I think Heitkamp still averaged over 5 yards a carry also. I think Heitkamp and Fleck would be better in the backfield because they have the capability to pull off the long run, and lower a shoulder and run over someone. I don't think Otte and his 130 lbs soaking wet is gonna run someone over.

JC just doesn't care about football. It isn't a priority to the school or the kids. It will take a major culture change for JC to become relevant on the gridiron.
They really don't excel in any sport except baseball. Even then they aren't world beaters. It's a different mindset down there for sure.

Otte is best used at WR at this point. Marion has a really thin WR core. Keep Fleck at running back, and even though he pulled off the long run for the touchdown against Watterson, I think Heitkamp still averaged over 5 yards a carry also. I think Heitkamp and Fleck would be better in the backfield because they have the capability to pull off the long run, and lower a shoulder and run over someone. I don't think Otte and his 130 lbs soaking wet is gonna run someone over.
Otte and Heitkamp are both listed at 170 lbs. I agree Flyers do not have much depth at receiver but he is ML's best offensive weapon.

They really don't excel in any sport except baseball. Even then they aren't world beaters. It's a different mindset down there for sure.
They are a very large School District both geographically and population (equivalent OHSAA DII) that is very poor. Sixty percent of the students come from families that are on assistance. Most kids are worried about eating their next meal. Athletic practice takes a back seat when your family is struggling to pay the rent.