Midwest Athletic Conference 2019

With the MAC season officially over I figured we might as well get this one started.

1. Fort Recovery - Return a lot if I'm not mistaken. Have the best QB (Clay Schmitz) and RB (Derek Jutte) in the league.

2. Coldwater - Return a lot of our O-Line and some good receivers with some size. Defense I hope is improved.

3. Minster - Stokes. Has plenty experience returning including 8 starters on offense and Half their defense.

4. Anna - Super seniors. Now go out and prove it.

5. Marion Local - No disrespect intended. They just graduated a lot. They will have that Otte kid and Goodwin is still their coach.

6. St Henry - They lost their main offensive weapon and unsure what they return

7. New Bremen - Keep getting better Cards! Hopefully you can make the playoffs or maybe even upset a team above. Return Nolan Bornhorst and Mitchell Hays.

8. Parkway - Return Nick Hawk . If they can get some more depth and some defense, they might have something. Keep working!

9. Versailles - In Limbo until I see who they Hire as HC. Have young talent

10. St. Johns - Sorry Blue Jays, had to put you somewhere.

Anyone hearing any updates on the Versailles coaching search?

Last edited:

Doesn't Nick Hawk return for Parkway? I don't see the Panthers having a breakout season, but he's a talented rb.

With the MAC season officially over I figured we might as well get this one started.

1. Fort Recovery - Return a lot if I'm not mistaken. Have the best QB (Clay Schmitz) and RB (Derek Jutte) in the league.

2. Coldwater - Return a lot of our O-Line and some decent receivers. Defense I hope is improved. Of course this also depends on something else I've mentioned.

3. Anna - Super seniors. Now go out and prove it.

4. Minster - Stokes. Not sure what they return.

5. Marion Local - No disrespect intended. They just graduated a lot. They will have that Otte kid and Goodwin is still their coach.

6. St Henry - They lost their main offensive weapon and unsure what they return

7. New Bremen - Keep getting better Cards! Hopefully you can make the playoffs or maybe even upset a team above. Return Nolan Bornhorst and Mitchell Hays.

8. Parkway - Return Nick Hawk . If they can get some more depth and some defense, they might have something. Keep working!

9. Versailles - In Limbo until I see who they Hire as HC. Have young talent

10. St. Johns - Sorry Blue Jays, had to put you somewhere.

Anyone hearing any updates on the Versailles coaching search?
Fort Recovery will need to improve their defense significantly especially against the run as well as develop a pass rush if they want to be a serious threat next season.

Computer generated schedules based on standings I think. I think it automatically drops a team from each teams schedule. For instance, Coldwater currently isn't playing Parkway.

It's based on a 2 year record. The top team doesn't play the last place team. The 2nd place team doesn't play the 2nd last team etc.

It's based on a 2 year record. The top team doesn't play the last place team. The 2nd place team doesn't play the 2nd last team etc.

This is correct.

I believe this scheduling has been extremely beneficial to the league as a whole. The obvious, it gives everyone a second OOC after the brief debacle of the league only scheduling 1 OOC and a very good Parkway squad missing the playoffs at 8-2.

The MAC acted quickly and this is what we got. It also helps the TOP of the league in attempting to schedule up in the competition. Just in Coldwater's example, that has allowed them to play teams Columbus Bishop Hartley, Clinton Massie and the next two years a DIII Cincy Mt Healthy who typically has some outstanding athletes.

In turn, it allows the lower end of the spectrum a break to not have to play the CW, MSML and such and find a second OOC game they can realistically win.

The MAC historically has done well in OOC and getting that second OOC game helps a lot of teams because once you hit the league schedule, at best you can do on second level points against league foes is .500

The vision forward for the league will not be as bright as the past and to be honest....how could it be? I fall into the same trap but as fans we need to realize what was happening in the past was absolutely NOT sustainable.

I just hope this isn't the start of a State Title drought for the league.

Computer generated schedules based on standings I think. I think it automatically drops a team from each teams schedule. For instance, Coldwater currently isn't playing Parkway.

You can generate a schedule if someone showed you how. I've done them in the past and they're really easy to do.

StateChamp, I like your list. But you might have Coldwater too high. I'm hearing we are very thin at the LB spot, something we are not used to seeing. It will depend on who steps up. Also, I'm not sold on our QB. I think he started off well, but as the season went on he started taking his licks, and was not as effective down the stretch.

I'd like to see Chip mix it up a bit and get Blasingame involved in the offense a bit. Not necessarily a two QB system, but a lot of razzle-dazzle halfback passes, etc. Things that could keep them guessing like who's going to even throw the ball, things like that. Up-tempo kinds of things. I think that both of those kids could run them type of plays. Plays that could throw those Marion-like blitz packages off a bit. Plus, it might stop Hemmelgarn from taking such a beating back there. I know Blasingame plays defense, though.

We are definitely going to have to figure out the defensive side of the ball.

You can generate a schedule if someone showed you how. I've done them in the past and they're really easy to do.

Not sure if they do that for the regular season or not doing a computer generated version or by hand since it is a small amount of teams but I believe the intent of the question was to how the MAC decides what teams do NOT Play eachother in the regular season.

StateChamp, I like your list. But you might have Coldwater too high. I'm hearing we are very thin at the LB spot, something we are not used to seeing. It will depend on who steps up. Also, I'm not sold on our QB. I think he started off well, but as the season went on he started taking his licks, and was not as effective down the stretch.

I'd like to see Chip mix it up a bit and get Blasingame involved in the offense a bit. Not necessarily a two QB system, but a lot of razzle-dazzle halfback passes, etc. Things that could keep them guessing like who's going to even throw the ball, things like that. Up-tempo kinds of things. I think that both of those kids could run them type of plays. Plays that could throw those Marion-like blitz packages off a bit. Plus, it might stop Hemmelgarn from taking such a beating back there. I know Blasingame plays defense, though.

We are definitely going to have to figure out the defensive side of the ball.
That'd be fine but I think if the game is on the line, Blasingame needs to be in. As for linebacker, yea we'll be somewhat thin. Josh Hyrcko and Nick Bailey at outside Linebacker I think Could work. Maybe Alex Knapke at Middle line backer. There's a few others that Idk about yet. Nathan Grieshop is one that could maybe play middle. I hope Shane's recovery is continuing to go well. He would've probably played outside LB. You know Cavman, Myles has a younger brother that's a incoming freshman and he's just as good. Maybe we can utilize him if needed in certain areas. I would move Russell Klosterman to defensive tackle. Him and Blake Dippold might work. Defensive ends are up in the air. Hopefully some kids step up. There's no excuse for our safety being our leading tackler!

Last edited:
That'd be fine but I think if the game is on the line, Blasingame needs to be in. As for linebacker, yea we'll be somewhat thin. Josh Hyrcko and Nick Bailey at outside Linebacker I think Could work. Maybe Alex Knapke at Middle line backer. There's a few others that Idk about yet. Nathan Grieshop is one that could maybe play middle. I hope Shane's recovery is continuing to go well. He would've probably played outside LB. You know Cavman, Myles has a younger brother that's a incoming freshman and he's just as good. Maybe we can utilize him if needed in certain areas. I would move Russell Klosterman to defensive tackle. Him and Blake Dippold might work. Defensive ends are up in the air. Hopefully some kids step up. There's no excuse for our safety being our leading tackler!

One of those LB's missed the game vs MSML due to concussion protocol that he suffered against SH. He stayed in the game but had severe symptoms in the days following.

CW could have 3 guys on the field at the same time who are very capable of throwing passes on offense at any given time next year, but that isn't that will win the games long term.

Going forward it will be interesting how it shakes out. Will need to replace some playmakers on offense and be a bit more stout defensively to make a serious push.

Need to beat Kenton in week one because who knows what they will run into against DIII Mt Healthy in week 2. They traditionally have some very talented guys.

Does anybody know when they will come out with realignment for divisions? Is that this coming year or next?

Seeing Fort Recovery picked as the preseason MAC favorite with Marion Local 5th and multiple past state champions Versailles & St John’s 9th & 10th - it just shows the quality of depth in the league. Still, it’s one thing to be a preseason favorite & another to actually win it. Is some of the reason for St John’s fall due to lower enrollment? What MAC team(s) are projecting to be in Division V for the next two seasons? Only about 250 days or so until the 2019 season kicks off!

Seeing Fort Recovery picked as the preseason MAC favorite with Marion Local 5th and multiple past state champions Versailles & St John’s 9th & 10th - it just shows the quality of depth in the league. Still, it’s one thing to be a preseason favorite & another to actually win it. Is some of the reason for St John’s fall due to lower enrollment? What MAC team(s) are projecting to be in Division V for the next two seasons? Only about 250 days or so until the 2019 season kicks off!
Probably for sure Anna and Versailles. Possibly Coldwater as we were the biggest school in D6.

Don't let them fool you.
Ft Rec wont win the league. MSML wont finish 5th.

Versailles and DSJ however likely will be at the bottom. I am not concerned about the Tigers as if they get a good hire then I expect them to rebound nicely. DSJ, I think there should be some legit concern about that program simply because they don't have that built in student base like public schools do. With that said, they could see a RAPID return to glory if things fall right but from what I am hearing enrollment is down and to convince people to pay for HS when they have a perfectly good DJEFF and other local schools is a tough sell.

I imagine your interest is due to whom West Jeff would have to face in the playoffs. As stated, Anna would still be there and you can search for their playoff prowess and you wont need to worry about Versailles. Rumors state Wheelersburg will like get moved up due to their influx of football players via OE but if you do have to face them I would look into hiring security on the sideline to prevent a repeat of spygate. It looks like smooth sailing for West Jefferson in DV

thavoice - I don't know too much about Fort Recovery but I completely agree with you regarding MSML, I'll believe them finishing 5th in the MAC if/when it actually happens. As for Division V, who knows how the regions will be created. West Jeff has been in the same region as Versailles, Anna, MSML & Coldwater in the past. Hopefully Versailles can regain some of their past success with a good hire for their new head coach.

thavoice - I don't know too much about Fort Recovery but I completely agree with you regarding MSML, I'll believe them finishing 5th in the MAC if/when it actually happens. As for Division V, who knows how the regions will be created. West Jeff has been in the same region as Versailles, Anna, MSML & Coldwater in the past. Hopefully Versailles can regain some of their past success with a good hire for their new head coach.

Went to a few playoff games against WJ over the years.

Ft Rec apparently has some big time talent coming up so we will see how that turns out but there is a difference between winning the MAC and being a state contender. They had moved up to DVI which really hurts them on that second front.

Versailles was on the right path but then that coach left. They faced Coldwater in the playoffs and lost their young QB to a head injury and they were projecting up only to have their coach jump ship and they basically started over so I expect them to rebound if they get the right guy.

Don't sleep on Marion Local. They may have graduated a lot, but the same thing was said in 2015 that the talent dried up and we were no good. Then we ended up back at state and would have won if not for careless mistakes. Also, that Otte kid is good, but hes not their only kid, they've got a couple Bulls at running back even if they dont look like it. Also, watch out for their LB, they played phenomenal against that Kirtland line, and one of them that rotated in, that Heitkamp kid blocked a punt. The offense just couldn't capitalize when given the chance.