Midwest Athletic Conference 2019

Up until the mid 80’s only 2 schools from each region made the playoffs. When it was expanded to 4 schools from each region is when the MAC started getting schools into the playoffs

What keeps it going is the winning culture.

I played during those times and I am not certain I even thought about the playoffs. I woulda played against the 1989 Minster team and I didn't even know they were a state/playoff team. I recalled St Henry, with their unreal stud athletes, thinking that was the standard to make the playoffs.

I did go to CWs playoff game in the 80s that htye lost in the first round, in Celina I believe. I think with the less divisions/teams available it seemed unattainable for most. Although Minster was the first, St Henry was the first MAC FB dynasty that put the league on the map. When Coach Hoyng stepped back in CW in 1994 to allow Coach Reed to come and take over the HC job was when the culture changed in CW, and likely something similar in MSML with Goodwin.

Success breeds success and I really hope Anna can get their's

People may not agree with this, but it has a lot to do with the change in farming and the farm culture. Up into the 80’s farming in this area was very manual and required hours upon hours of work. Farm culture in this area has changed dramatically and kids who in the 70’s / 80’s who may not have even been able to play football, and certainly wouldn’t have been able to spends hours at practice/lifting/conditioning can do so now. At that time most kids knew farming would always be their life, but that isn’t the case now. I know people keep wondering when the MAC streak is going to end but honestly I think it’s only going to get stronger. They have the same heritage and work ethic of their ancestors but now have the time to devote to sports. And great coaches to cultivate their talents.
Their was some really good MAC teams in the 70's that never had a realistic chance to make the play offs. Marion Local early 70's, and in 79. Parkway under Reed. The 80's except for Minster never had any MAC powerhouse teams, SH glory years were the early 90's till late 90's than again shortly after Boeckman left. I have no doubt if ML had a coach like Goodwin, or Coldwater had Reed earlier ( the 80's ) those schools would have dominated like they do presently. It is all about the coaching and that coaching being allowed to succeed because of the culture in the MAC area.

What keeps it going is the winning culture.

I played during those times and I am not certain I even thought about the playoffs. I woulda played against the 1989 Minster team and I didn't even know they were a state/playoff team. I recalled St Henry, with their unreal stud athletes, thinking that was the standard to make the playoffs.

I did go to CWs playoff game in the 80s that htye lost in the first round, in Celina I believe. I think with the less divisions/teams available it seemed unattainable for most. Although Minster was the first, St Henry was the first MAC FB dynasty that put the league on the map. When Coach Hoyng stepped back in CW in 1994 to allow Coach Reed to come and take over the HC job was when the culture changed in CW, and likely something similar in MSML with Goodwin.

Success breeds success and I really hope Anna can get their's
I went to that play off game with my brother in law, CW lost to Arcanum at Celina, boy times are different now.

The 80's except for Minster never had any MAC powerhouse teams, ....
I agree with most of your original post.

I think Coldwater did well in 82 and I know they went 10-0 in 83 but did not make the playoffs. Marion was 9-1 in 85, losing on a controversial call against St Henry, and did not make the playoffs.

Their was some really good MAC teams in the 70's that never had a realistic chance to make the play offs. Marion Local early 70's, and in 79. Parkway under Reed. The 80's except for Minster never had any MAC powerhouse teams, SH glory years were the early 90's till late 90's than again shortly after Boeckman left. I have no doubt if ML had a coach like Goodwin, or Coldwater had Reed earlier ( the 80's ) those schools would have dominated like they do presently. It is all about the coaching and that coaching being allowed to succeed because of the culture in the MAC area.
At Henry and Marion we’re both 9-1 in 1985

Final thoughts:

Anna - My statement on the first post was "Super Seniors. Now go out and prove it." Well, they proved it more than anybody else could.

Minster - Was about what I expected. Just got unlucky with their playoff draw.

Marion Local - Why do we even bother doubting them

Coldwater - They were about what I expected even with the trainwreck at the end of the season.

New Bremen - They were better than I expected. What they showed me was that a program is being put into place. Hope it continues.

Fort Recovery - The most underachieving team in the league this season.

Parkway - 4 wins and capable of winning 2 others and gave Anna all they could handle. I'd say that was a hell of a year in panther country.

Versailles - Young football team. About what I expected. Should improve next season.

St Henry - Another young football team. I did not expect them to fall off as much as they did. Another team that should improve in 2020.

St Johns - About what I expected. Not much else really left to say.

SC2012, exactly my observation. Why do we even bother doubting them It's why I got involved in these discussions. "MAC Country" folks, no offense, see the high school football world from the lens of great success, really good teams nearly every week. I personally follow a team that has the exact opposite outcome. It's equally perplexing to NOT be able to turn it around, just for even one season, over 20 years, And I ask myself every year, "Why do I even bother believing in them?" My team has never challenged the best teams on their schedule in that time. Never. Overall, they've won 20% of their games since 2001. Sports at nearly every level seems to be cyclical, with even the best programs having a one or two year swoon. And even the worst teams, you would think, could produce one or two years of success due to one particularly strong class of kids. I have often pondered the juxtaposition of following ML and my local team, and how both seem to be immune to cyclical ups and downs, one with amazing success and one with amazing futility.