Mid-State League 2021

The Dock

Eagle-Gazette previews for baseball. Great read-ups on Bloom-Carroll, Fairfield Union, Liberty Union; Berne Union, Fisher Cath.

No preview submitted by FCA? The fighting Knighties?!

Games on deck for today...

Fisher Catholic @ Fairfield Union, Tues. 3/30
Grove City Christian @ Grandview Heights, Tues. 3/30
Cardington-Lincoln @ Wellington, Tues. 3/30 (Game is to be played at Berliner Park.)

The Dock

So I guess what I had written down earlier was wrong -- GCC and GH didn't play. GCC's first game isn't until... April 3 vs Pleasant?

FC lost to Fairfield Union 11-1. Had a dreadful 4th inning. FU is pretty good. First team FC has played in live-action that actually hit the ball.

BU lost to Amanda 2-0.

In Central District D4 and MSL-Ohio news... and I'm already rolling the eyes into the back of my head writing this: Cardington-Lincoln 37, Wellington 3. Not rolling my eyes at the score ("smoke 'em if you got 'em"), rolling my eyes at what the score is going to mean come May for seeding. Really hope that the coaches take schedule strength and results into consideration when they seed. (Hoping that they don't look at 30-piecing Wellington in a higher light than losing 6-4 to Teays Valley, as is the case for Newark Catholic.)

Big Central District D4 games tomorrow: there are two (2) -- Newark Catholic goes to East Knox, and Fisher goes to D3 Liberty Union (location change.)

Really doubt LU is even thinking of throwing Miller, with the forecast the way it is looking.

In terms of my "power rankings" for Central D4 (very limited sample size)

1. Newark Cath
t. 2 Cardington
t. 2 Fisher
t. 2 East Knox
5. Berne Union (but they're not too far off from the top four)

In general think there is a decent-sized gap between the top 5 and the other 13 (probably goes in flights, though, from there.)

Last edited:

The Dock

Well... turns out the most interesting non-league game in Central District D4 was not East Knox vs NC or Liberty Union vs Fisher (although at least one was a great game!)

The most interesting non-league game tonight, you ask?

Fairfield Christian 15
Cardington-Lincoln 13

For context: FCA lost both games in their season-opening DH to Mt Gilead (typically a not great program) by run rule, and CL won their first two games by a combined 47-3.

//

Liberty Union 2
Fisher Cath 1 F/8

I was at this game. It was a freakin' battle, man. Scoreless through four innings after Springer (FC)'s deep shot bounced off the railing in deep center back into the field. LU hits a solo shot in the bottom of the fifth. 1-0 LU. Sophomore from FC, batting in the 9-hole, hits a 2-out RBI single in the top of the 7th to tie it at 1-1. LU gets a 1-out RBI single in the bottom of the 8th with bases loaded (two intentional walks) to win it.

//

Newark Catholic 10
East Knox 0 F/5

Last edited:

The Dock

Heard that GCC baseball is in two-week shutdown. @bballfan48 you know what’s up?

//

I also heard Columbus Academy ran into some scheduling trouble with kids going on vacation?

Last edited:

The Dock

Scores 4/5

Buckeye
Bloom-Carroll 10 Amanda-Clearcreek 0 f/5
Circleville 11 Hamilton Twp 0 f/6
Teays Valley 8 Logan Elm 2

Fairfield Union 10 Liberty Union 10 -- game is suspended due to darkness, to be completed later

Cardinal
Berne Union 6 FCA 5 f/8
Bishop Rosecrans 10 Miller 0 f/6
Fisher Cath 10 Millersport 2

GCC - Harvest Prep postponed

Ohio
Buckeye Valley 15 Wellington 0
Columbus Academy 8 Grandview Heights 2

Bexley vs Whitehall -- unknown score

Last edited:

alan41

Well... turns out the most interesting non-league game in Central District D4 was not East Knox vs NC or Liberty Union vs Fisher (although at least one was a great game!)

The most interesting non-league game tonight, you ask?

Fairfield Christian 15
Cardington-Lincoln 13

For context: FCA lost both games in their season-opening DH to Mt Gilead (typically a not great program) by run rule, and CL won their first two games by a combined 47-3.

//

Liberty Union 2
Fisher Cath 1 F/8

I was at this game. It was a freakin' battle, man. Scoreless through four innings after Springer (FC)'s deep shot bounced off the railing in deep center back into the field. LU hits a solo shot in the bottom of the fifth. 1-0 LU. Sophomore from FC, batting in the 9-hole, hits a 2-out RBI single in the top of the 7th to tie it at 1-1. LU gets a 1-out RBI single in the bottom of the 8th with bases loaded (two intentional walks) to win it.

//

Newark Catholic 10
East Knox 0 F/5
Yes an interesting game.

The Dock

Will be live-tweeting BU v FC -- via @MSL_Forum (on Twitter)

Expecting to see both team's throw their #2's today. BU threw their #3 pitcher versus FCA on Monday, FC threw their #1 pitcher vs Millersport two days ago.

The pitcher BU threw in their season-opener against Newark Catholic, in an 0-2 decision, is the same one throwing tonight against FC.

The Dock

Scores 4/8

Buckeye
Amanda-Clearcreek 10, Hamilton Township 2
Bloom-Carroll 19, Logan Elm 6
Fairfield Union 4, Circleville 1
Teays Valley 6, Liberty Union 5

Cardinal
Fairfield Christian 30, Harvest Prep 0 f/5
Fisher Catholic 3, Berne Union 1
Millersport 12, Miller 2 f/5
GCC vs Bishop Rosecrans postponed to Saturday, 4/10

Ohio
Buckeye Valley 32, Wellington 0
Cols. Academy 11, Grandview Heights 0 f/5
Bexley/Whitehall ???

Standings through 2

Buckeye
Bloom-Carroll 2-0
Teays Valley 2-0
Fairfield Union 1-0
Amanda-Clearcreek 1-1
Circleville 1-1
Liberty Union 0-1
Hamilton Township 0-2
Logan Elm 0-2

Cardinal
Fisher Catholic 2-0
Bishop Rosecrans 1-0
Berne Union 1-1
Fairfield Christian 1-1
Millersport 1-1
Grove City Christian 0-0
Harvest Prep 0-1
Miller 0-2

Ohio
Bexley 2-0 << I know that Bexley beat Whitehall on Monday (don't know score), and I presume they beat Whitehall again on Wednesday
Buckeye Valley 2-0
Cols. Academy 2-0
Worthington Christian 0-0
Grandview Heights 0-2
Wellington 0-2
Whitehall-Yearling 0-2

The Dock

Scores 4/9

Buckeye
Bloom-Carroll 4, Liberty Union 2 - Jacob Miller (LU) takes his first "loss" of the season. HR's by Logan Moore (BC) and Brody Poston (LU)
Teays Valley 6, Circleville 5 - Teays Valley hits walk-off home run over the center field fence.
Logan Elm d. Hamilton Twp
Amanda-FU -- score unknown

Cardinal
Berne Union 16, Miller 2 f/5
Fairfield Christian 10, Rosecrans 8 - Rosecrans gets a 7-run rally on two outs in the b/6th to make it a 8-6 lead before FCA rallies to win controversially.
Fisher Cath 25, Harvest Prep 1 f/5
Millersport 15, Grove City Christian 1 f/5

Ohio
Buckeye Valley 5, DeSales 3 (non-league)
Bexley 8, Columbus Academy 3
Whitehall-Yearling 29, Wellington 1 f/5
Worthington Christian 6, Grandview Heights 3

//

Standings through 3

Buckeye
Bloom-Carroll 3-0
Teays Valley 3-0
Fairfield Union 1-0
Amanda-Clearcreek 1-1
Circleville 1-2
Logan Elm 1-2
Liberty Union 0-2
Hamilton Township 0-3

Cardinal
Fisher Catholic 3-0
Berne Union 2-1
Fairfield Christian 2-1
Millersport 2-1
Bishop Rosecrans 1-1
Grove City Christian 0-1
Harvest Prep 0-2
Miller 0-3

Ohio
Bexley 3-0
Buckeye Valley 2-0
Cols. Academy 2-1
Worthington Christian 1-0
Whitehall-Yearling 1-2
Grandview Heights 0-3
Wellington 0-3

The Dock

The Dock have you had a chance to watch Miller yet?
I have not. Them, HP, and GCC are the only ones I haven't seen yet. Have seen Millersport twice, Rosecrans twice, FCA twice, Berne three times, and Fisher four times.

All I know about Miller is they're just getting shredded so far. Their best player broke his leg in football last fall and I know he recovered & is playing at SS and pitcher.

Baller78915

I have not. Them, HP, and GCC are the only ones I haven't seen yet. Have seen Millersport twice, Rosecrans twice, FCA twice, Berne three times, and Fisher four times.

All I know about Miller is they're just getting shredded so far. Their best player broke his leg in football last fall and I know he recovered & is playing at SS and pitcher.
Thanks

mslfan20

Millersport goes to Fairfield Christian, might be a good game.

Can Bishop Rosecrans bounce back from the crazy situation on Friday and stun Fisher?

FC plays five games this week. Who will they throw?

The Dock

FC plays five games this week. Who will they throw?
It'll be interesting to see what they do this week. 3-2 (winning all three league tilts) is obviously the minimum goal -- I think they might try to pick up all five (play at a really good Meigs on Tuesday, and host Logan on Saturday.)

State polls come out next week. I expect FC and BU will both be top 20, possibly even top 15. NC will probably lead the line for the Central District in D4 with the polls, as they should.

I don't think Fisher will have any trouble with FCA next Monday. The defense has tightened up after the season-opening clunker at a really good Fairfield Union, where FU sprayed a bunch of runs on 2-outs. FCA's best chance of beating Fisher and creating a "three-team race" for the Cardinal all lies in their starting pitching being able to hold up for longer than five innings. If the Knights can keep it close (within two runs) past the fifth inning, then they have a decent shot of pulling the upset.

Millersport vs FCA is an interesting game. The part that is really interesting is the game is played at Berliner this first time around. I don't believe FCA has played at Berliner (their home field) yet this year? Unless that's where they played HP? If the game was played this first time around at Millersport, instead, then I think FCA could have a better shot at winning (ironically enough.)

Berne is at GCC -- would like to see the Eagles pull the upset. But, it just sounds like their pitching struggles will hurt against a BU team with sticks galore on the Rocket batting order.

HP is at Miller -- could see HP pulling the win. What a bus ride that will be, though.

Rosecrans @ FC -- I just don't see BR pulling an upset, here. I think it'll be a fine, respectable game that will be played through seven innings. My understanding is Rosecrans will not have their starting catcher available for this game because of what happened Friday.

//

Central District Coaches' Poll just came out for week 1...

D1: Teays Valley - 7th (18 votes)
D2: Buckeye Valley - 3rd (82 votes), Bloom-Carroll - 4th (78, two First Place votes)
D3: Worthington Christian - 1st (116, three First Place votes), Amanda-Clearcreek - 4th (52 votes), Liberty Union - 5th (66 votes, one First Place vote)
D4: Fisher Cath - 2nd (64 votes), Berne Union - 3rd (52 votes), FCA - 5th (28 votes.)

Last edited: