Mid-State League 2020-2021

Glad to see Mason win the award. The only other players that I feel might have had a chance would have been Spohn from Rosecrans or Unger.

Any news on the Grandview Covid front? When do they have to make a decision about the game?

Glad to see Mason win the award. The only other players that I feel might have had a chance would have been Spohn from Rosecrans or Unger.

Any news on the Grandview Covid front? When do they have to make a decision about the game?
Purvis deserves the award if it’s meant to crown the best player across all of the rosters. Such as if the MSL could nominate one player to get the most recognition possible for newspaper purposes. Or if you had a 3 v 3 pickup game and you had first pick.

But the idea had been to give it to the best player on either the champion team or at least a team that finished top half of the standings. They (coaches) made an exception it appears. MP finished 5th... Again not saying he shouldn’t have gotten it. Just looks like what the award recognizes has changed.

I would have given it to Shaheed or Abrams from Prep. Or ZR’s Spohn or Merva. Really would’ve liked to see Brock get it but I get why not. No one from FC had a chance. Same with the field.

Last edited:
Tommy (N.C. AD) just tweeted me the same information. He said that the gym will be cleared and sanitized between games. I think the central district did that because of the parents that might have kids on both teams. I think it is a good idea.

Last edited:
Tommy (N.C. AD) just tweeted me the same information. He said that the gym will be cleared and sanitized between games. I think the central district did that because of the parents that might have kids on both teams. I think it is a good idea.
It is a great idea. If not for COVID-attendance restrictions both games would have sold-out for sure. Very exciting the idea that the girls district final is the first game of a double-header, where the second game of the day will be District Final caliber basketball.

Bring on "Super Saturday!"

Last edited:

Grandview Hts still has Saturday game at 100pm vs Fairfield Christian on the school schedule so at this time I am figuring the game will be played.

Grandview Hts still has Saturday game at 100pm vs Fairfield Christian on the school schedule so at this time I am figuring the game will be played.
I'm sure GH could go as far down the roster pipeline possible and get the game played if need-be.

Big shoutout to the Lady Bishops of Rosecrans. They have advanced to the East District Finals after beating the #3 seed (by 16!), the #5 seed and the #7 seed.

GH here! Our guys are on for saturday, bench is pretty depleted but we still have 4 out of 5 starters ready to go including 1st and 3rd leading scorers.

Covid has really done a number on us this year, this is our 4th (and hopefully final) quarantine. Itll be nice if we can stick with it and compete for a 3rd straight district.
*side note* Does anyone know where to find all-msl or all district teams?

Yeah -- when someone finds these let me know, too. I had to clean the car windows of two different MSL AD's last year to get them :(
Going back to this: I once again reiterate the frustration of there not being a centralized public communication for the Mid-State League. I understand that making a website, maintaining it and whatnot may be time-consuming and expensive, but I don't see what is so hard about making a Twitter account and having it update at least 3x a year by uploading a printed Word document of honors awarded at the sports banquet earlier in the evening for the given season.

Expecting these distinctions to be sourced either through the individual schools/team accounts on Twitter or local newspapers just isn't feasible - nor is it fair to the kids.

Handful of administrators dislike the thought of sports being talked outside of games. Like the internet. Sports being talked as competitive. No social media and they dislike forums. BU girls could play for a state title and some won’t say anything to support them. CJ from Prep scores 2K and no congratulations.

Handful of administrators dislike the thought of sports being talked outside of games. Like the internet. Sports being talked as competitive. No social media and they dislike forums. BU girls could play for a state title and some won’t say anything to support them. CJ from Prep scores 2K and no congratulations.
I don't know if that's what the hold-up is or not, but it still is beyond bizarre the idea that it falls at the feet of the writers.

The Cardinal has four papers that cover the schools: the Lancaster Eagle-Gazette, the Zanesville Times-Recorder, ThisWeek Columbus and the Perry County Tribune. Tom Wilson is one person -- his work is awesome but the EG primarily has him as a beat writer these days for the Gales. If LHS sports is 70% of his writing, the remaining 30% is on covering all of the other schools in the county in some capacity. Plus he gets put on assignment covering stuff for the Chillicothe Gazette as well. He definitely does try to get recognition to the kids but it only goes as far as people e-mail him or DM him. Zanesville TR: its Zanesville HS, the massive MVL and Rosecrans. Perry County Tribune is a part-time paper and they cover Miller accordingly -- part-time.

The Ohio is the same with GCC and somewhat HP: it is basically ThisWeek newspapers. The problem is the publication is so baked into coverage of the individual suburbs that their awesome writers (and they are indeed great writers) walk the ends of the earth covering wrestling, swimming & diving and whatnot for the OCC schools. How far down do I have to scroll through any of their four writers' Twitters before I can find an article on Grove City Christian basketball or MSL-Ohio hoops?

I believe WLOH (Lancaster radio) will cover both games @ NC tomorrow? Idk.

Congrats to BU ladies on winning their district title tonight, homie.

OHSBCA honors for District 11 (Delaware, Fairfield, Knox, Licking, Marion and Morrow Counties) — I took out the KMAC honorees... will note CotY, PotY and 2-first team selections were from Cardington & a first team from E. Knox.

First Team
Nathan Stewart, senior, Delaware Christian; Mason Purvis, senior, Millersport; Brock Unger, senior, Berne Union; Alex Bronder, senior, Fisher Catholic; Cole Canter, junior, Newark Catholic; Joe Benvie, junior, Granville Christian.

Second Team

Carter Purvis, senior, Millersport; Adam Beard, senior, James Vasek, senior, Delaware Christian; Nate Still, senior, Fairfield Christian; Josh Burke, senior, Fisher Catholic;

Honorable Mention
Brea Friesner, junior, Berne Union; Nate Hickman, junior, Conner Beck, junior, Delaware Christian; Benjamin Hopple, sophomore, Fairfield Christian; Nick Krooner, senior, Fisher Catholic; Brendan Austin, junior, Granville Christian; Ethan Severance, senior, Millersport; Matt Gialdini, senior, Newark Catholic;

Update: both games on WLOH. Can be found on TuneIn Radio. Thanks J.R. for making the trip, and thanks NC for letting them in. Great pleasure to listen to it on the radio.

Game “1” starts now...

Girls’ District Final

26-18 NC at half — NC drains a long 3 at the buzzer. Pretty sure NC has shot 6/13 from 3 in the first half. Gibson (NC) a freshman has been electric so far.

54-35 NC final. Freshmen lead the way for both teams in scoring column; E. Bruce — 19 (FC), K. Gibson — 19 (NC)

Only 5 seniors between the two teams. Proud of our girls and Coach Bethel. I am definitely excited for the future. To paraphrase MacArthur, “[We] shall return.”

Congrats to the Newark Catholic girls. Hoping for a BU/NC regional final @ Pick North. Very cool to see Kurt Snyder of the Newark Advocate write in a praiseful tone for our girls, too.

I do have a pretty good feeling on Game 2 ;) Vengeance is in the air...

Last edited:
TOL beat Shekinah 38-36?

Chalk holds so far in all of the games today.

Listening to NC/FC boys, “Game 2”, on WLOH. Accessible via TuneIn — listening in the garage via the old radio over the air.

NC 20
FC 19 at HALF

Cole Canter (NC) with 13 — left the game and came back in. This game sounds very intense, for real. 12/7 NC after 1st frame, 13/7 FC second quarter. Irish been in foul trouble really bad.

NC 31
FC 27 3Q hellish 3rd quarter for FC

Last edited:
I watched the end of the Tree/Shekinah game. Back and forth with some crazy 3s at the end. Tree held for a last shot, airballed, and a player hit a reverse putback at the buzzer for the win. Wild game! Tree had blown out Shekinah on both previous matchups.

NC 46
FC 38 final

Irish had chance to tie down 3 under a minute, missed and it was over from there.

Still think it was a great call to jump on NC. I personally saw a rematch as being the far better alternative than drawing into some random first round match-up against a school you have no real history playing. Shows a lot of guts, confidence and respect to make the most that you can of a tournament game. Another chapter of the intra-Diocesan "Season Killer" rivalry down in the books.

I'm certain the kids enjoyed the idea, too. Without playing a full season, playing in front of so few people and everything being as screwed-up as it was, the kids and community most definitely liked the idea of betting on themselves.

Good luck to N.C. going forward -- go win that District. Special thanks to A.D. Tom Pickering and the folks at NCHS for letting WLOH in to broadcast the game. It meant a lot to us listening, fo' sho. See you in May, a block-and-a-half down the road from us @ Beavers Field.

Last edited:
Still can’t find the full all MSL teams but we had one guy named second team and one honorable mention. Not terrible for a rebuilding year! It’s most likely gonna come down to PPA and us for the district title this year and NC and Cardington for the other bracket, i’m not seeing any upsets happening currently. The con of being in the central 1 is the fact we have to play AP ranked #1 NB Glenwood if we do make it out. Tough road ahead for GH.

Still can’t find the full all MSL teams but we had one guy named second team and one honorable mention. Not terrible for a rebuilding year! It’s most likely gonna come down to PPA and us for the district title this year and NC and Cardington for the other bracket, i’m not seeing any upsets happening currently. The con of being in the central 1 is the fact we have to play AP ranked #1 NB Glenwood if we do make it out. Tough road ahead for GH.
$100 says Grandview would beat NB Glenwood if both meet in the Sweet 16.

I was shocked to see you write GH only had a second teamer and an HM. I went to 270Hoops to look at the final standings, and was even more shocked GH finished last (7th out of 7th.) Wow. I don't believe Coach Corbett has ever had a team finish in the bottom two of a league, ever.

But I get it -- the Ohio is hard as hell. Whitehall beat freakin' Trotwood earlier this year: I mean, are ya' kidding me? Grandview probably would've finished 2nd or 3rd in the Cardinal this year.

If I had to take a guess on what the first team for the Ohio was...

D.J. Moore (WC) -- Player of the Year
Royal Sibley (W-Y)
Henry Brandt (Bexley).... this kid drilled like 8 three's I thought against Academy?
Someone from Academy (sorry Academy - Don't know who!)
Troy Scowden (BV)... I don't know if he was their best player or not, but give it to that young man! He epitomizes courage. Dude literally beat back a brain bleed he suffered from getting under-cut on a dunk.
Kindberg/Faieta (sp?) from WC
Marcus Stewart (Wellington)

The con of being in the central 1 is the fact we have to play AP ranked #1 NB Glenwood if we do make it out. Tough road ahead for GH.
One other comment -- Central 1 is specifically the bracket every coach in the district would have liked to pick because it feeds into the Southeast Regional, whereas Central 2 spits you out into the bloodbath regional that gets played at Vandalia-Butler. Those small western Ohio towns with two traffic lights? Those kids can ball. And they're big. Houston, Russia, Jackson Center -- god damn they're tough A.F.

Southeast Regional has always been... how do I say this in a politically-correct and nice way(???)... kind to the Central District. Ask Dennis @ HP why he chose the same bracket Worthington Christian was in. There's ya answer.

Best team in the Southeast Regional, provided that they make it there, is going to be Malvern from the East District. If not Malvern, then Hiland.

Thanks for putting up with this thread, its Cardinal-centricity and my antics. Quick question -- how did you guys like the MSL-Ohio tournament idea? I know this was a new concept for basketball, that its partly-inspired by COVID and supplants the second half of the round-robin. I'm pretty sure its roots actually comes from what the league does with tennis at the end of the regular season.

$100 says Grandview would beat NB Glenwood if both meet in the Sweet 16.

I was shocked to see you write GH only had a second teamer and an HM. I went to 270Hoops to look at the final standings, and was even more shocked GH finished last (7th out of 7th.) Wow. I don't believe Coach Corbett has ever had a team finish in the bottom two of a league, ever.

But I get it -- the Ohio is hard as hell. Whitehall beat freakin' Trotwood earlier this year: I mean, are ya' kidding me? Grandview probably would've finished 2nd or 3rd in the Cardinal this year.

If I had to take a guess on what the first team for the Ohio was...

D.J. Moore (WC) -- Player of the Year
Royal Sibley (W-Y)
Henry Brandt (Bexley).... this kid drilled like 8 three's I thought against Academy?
Someone from Academy (sorry Academy - Don't know who!)
Troy Scowden (BV)... I don't know if he was their best player or not, but give it to that young man! He epitomizes courage. Dude literally beat back a brain bleed he suffered from getting under-cut on a dunk.
Kindberg/Faieta (sp?) from WC
Marcus Stewart (Wellington)
From what i’ve heard, Sibley was second team along with oulette from Wellington but thats all I could get from our coaches. Another thing about the Ohio and to respond to your question - the tournament was the best possible thing they could’ve done this year. There’s an added excitement you just cannot get from league play in the regular season. Another note about the tournament, although we were seeded 7th in the tournament, we finished 4th or 5th I believe because of how the tournament was set up. We lost our first Whitehall which was the #2-#7 matchup and then beat Wellington which put us up against BV in what was titled the “3rd/4th” place game but i’m not sure how accurate that was.

From what i’ve heard, Sibley was second team along with oulette from Wellington but thats all I could get from our coaches. Another thing about the Ohio and to respond to your question - the tournament was the best possible thing they could’ve done this year. There’s an added excitement you just cannot get from league play in the regular season. Another note about the tournament, although we were seeded 7th in the tournament, we finished 4th or 5th I believe because of how the tournament was set up. We lost our first Whitehall which was the #2-#7 matchup and then beat Wellington which put us up against BV in what was titled the “3rd/4th” place game but i’m not sure how accurate that was.
Do you think you'd want to see the Ohio do this format again next year, after the COVID-saga? Or would you want the full 6 home / 6 away league game slate?

That idea intrigued me. Then I thought "well that sort of sucks there is no return trip to the other gym." But then I realized "LOL, stupid me, the gyms are like 1/8th full anyways."

I talked with a few friends who are connected with the Ohio. Sounds like coaches were not a fan. Once you lost, not much motivation was left.

One other comment -- Central 1 is specifically the bracket every coach in the district would have liked to pick because it feeds into the Southeast Regional, whereas Central 2 spits you out into the bloodbath regional that gets played at Vandalia-Butler. Those small western Ohio towns with two traffic lights? Those kids can ball. And they're big. Houston, Russia, Jackson Center -- god damn they're tough A.F.

I'd largely concur with this and send my thoughts and prayers to whatever poor souls get to drive to Vandalia this year to likely meet Tri-Village, Botkins and Cedarville (who dare I say I think is a legit favorite against Jackson Center in the district finals this week). Tri-Village has three 6'6-6'7 kids in their rotation and one of them is probably a legit high-end D2 scholarship kid (or better) in both basketball and football as a QB. I think this year's Cedarville team is probably the best team the OHC has produced in its 20 year history. Tremendous point guard and they have three 6'4-6'5 kids and a 6'8 kid in the rotation. Botkins is one of those good old Shelby county towns that probably has 2-3 traffic lights, and they won a share of that meat grinder Shelby County League this year. If I read the bracket correctly, they should see (and likely dismember) whoever comes out of the Central 2 bracket.

From the little bit that I've seen of New Boston Glenwood along with their schedule, I would probably take all three of those teams over them without giving it any thought. If Grandview gets through the district with a full roster to meet them, I would not be surprised at all to see Grandview advance to the regional finals.

I'd largely concur with this and send my thoughts and prayers to whatever poor souls get to drive to Vandalia this year to likely meet Tri-Village, Botkins and Cedarville (who dare I say I think is a legit favorite against Jackson Center in the district finals this week). Tri-Village has three 6'6-6'7 kids in their rotation and one of them is probably a legit high-end D2 scholarship kid (or better) in both basketball and football as a QB. I think this year's Cedarville team is probably the best team the OHC has produced in its 20 year history. Tremendous point guard and they have three 6'4-6'5 kids and a 6'8 kid in the rotation. Botkins is one of those good old Shelby county towns that probably has 2-3 traffic lights, and they won a share of that meat grinder Shelby County League this year. If I read the bracket correctly, they should see (and likely dismember) whoever comes out of the Central 2 bracket.

From the little bit that I've seen of New Boston Glenwood along with their schedule, I would probably take all three of those teams over them without giving it any thought. If Grandview gets through the district with a full roster to meet them, I would not be surprised at all to see Grandview advance to the regional finals.
Not going to lie -- I'm embarrassed to have forgotten about freakin' Layne Sarver and his friends on Tri-Village. TV even beat Harvest Prep in the state finals that one year, too! Damn!