Mid-State League ‘22-23

Final
Harvest Prep-12,26,40,51
Cincinnati Woodward-22,35,43,62

Harvest Prep, now sitting at 6-5, struggled to find consistency throughout the game. Big men Nyalle and Khalil were their only offensive weapons for most of the game, as HPS struggled from downtown. Defense struggled to handle the athleticism of Cincinnati Woodward, especially their #2. Harvest Prep has played a tough schedule and has competed in every game. When they figure out how to play a complete game, they will be a dangerous D3 team.
Playing this type of non-league is always solid since you can either a) match-make with teams who are very similar in your abilities and strengths, and get good work during & after the game in the process and/or b) you square up against someone who has the best player on the floor. Realistically this is every school in the Cardinal’s

In that same vein,

on the girls’ side of the Cardinal…

• the girls’ teams in the Cardinal are 3-0 against the CCL. Harvest Prep beat DeSales (7-3); Berne beat Ready 59-26 and FC beat Ready 60-45. Ready is 9-3, and they have wins over Berlin as well as recent power Watkins.

• Berne and FC have beaten Amanda (7-4, currently third in the Buckeye) to the scores of 42-27 and 54-40, respectively.

Berne is currently undefeated.

FC is 8-4. Three of their four losses are to a combined 35-2 (Portsmouth Notre Dame, Harvest Prep, and Berne.) The fourth loss is at the hands of the defending state champs, Waterford.

Any prediction for tomorrow night at The Cave? Winning margin, who gets the first T, and how many Ts will be handed out in the game?

Any prediction for tomorrow night at The Cave? Winning margin, who gets the first T, and how many Ts will be handed out in the game?
Winning Margin: HP -6.5 [-110]
Who Gets First T: (no pick)
How Many T’s: U 2.5 [-110]

+264

— — —
Game Props

Technicals
How First Technical is Accrued

Book Error — HP [+100]
Book Error — BR [+100]

Bench Technical — Any Team [+180]

Pre-Game Conduct — Any Team [+225]
Pre-Game Conduct (excludes dunking on rim) — Any Team [+250]

Unsporting: Verbal [+375]
Unsporting: Physical [+395]

Will There Be a Double Technical?
No [-250]
Yes [+375]

+264

— — —
Game Props

Technicals

Book Error — HP [+100]
Book Error — BR [+100]

No [-250]
Yes [+375]
HP by 9
Over 2.5 Techs
Verbal on both teams
Double tech on at least one player, maybe two

Last edited:
HP by 9
Over 2.5 Techs
Verbal on both
Double tech
If you four-legged it, that would be +10453.

1673281115472.gif

Edit: The house expects a clean game!

Last edited:
HP 7-5(6-0) Vs Bishop Rosecrans 8-1(5-0)
The two top teams are battling for the lead in the MSL, which has been usual for the last five years. Harvest Prep has had one of its most demanding nonconference schedules in years and went 1-5, losing by an average of 9 points in those losses. Harvest Prep's only nonconference win came against Tiffin Calvert, a respectable 8-3 team. Bishop Rosecrans has won 3 out of their four non-conference games, only losing to Patriot Prep Academy. The game will feature two of the best players in the league, POTY frontrunner Labishak and Nyalle. Labishak has been dominant this year for Bishop Rosecrans, averaging 22 points and four assists, while Hartman has been a great 2nd option. For Harvest Prep, Nyalle has averaged 16 games on 59% and 38% shooting splits, leading the team for the third straight season. The backcourt duo of Brandon, Adonus, and Zyaun has also played well, leading to a great matchup against Labishak, Hartman, and Bernarth. For Bishop Rosecrans to compete, they must do a couple of things. First, they have to handle Harvest Prep's pressure and limit turnovers. Rosecrans also must contain Harvest Prep from getting second chance points. If they do those couple of things and hit their shots, the game should be close. For Harvest Prep, push the ball, attack, and make them beat the press.
Prediction
Harvest Prep 65
Bishop Rosecrans 56

+264

— — —
Game Props

Technicals

Book Error — HP [+100]
Book Error — BR [+100]

No [-250]
Yes [+375]
HP
HP - This will stem from the meeting and votes last year
Over

I am taking the Bench Tech and Unsporting Verbal

Yes

In all seriousness, I am planning on heading over to the Cave tomorrow night. Hopefully Rosecrans can create some havoc and make this an interesting game.

HP
HP - This will stem from the meeting and votes last year
Over

I am taking the Bench Tech and Unsporting Verbal

Yes

In all seriousness, I am planning on heading over to the Cave tomorrow night. Hopefully Rosecrans can create some havoc and make this an interesting game.
One thing I’ve come to learn is, despite instances where [it] has gotten hot, usually actors reign themselves in and defeat the overarching opinion. I won’t specify whether it’s coaches or players (or both) I’ve seen the turnaround in, but I’ve seen better angels come out in the Cardinal.

This game (quality of play) may be worth missing the K-State game, and parts of UVA/UNC for. Hmm…

35-30 HP, Half **

Prep held Labishak scoreless through the first 17 minutes. HP hit a buzzer-beating three to close 1Q 22-8. Bishops have survived the pressure for the most part — just couldn’t buy a bucket in the 1Q.

Last edited:
35-30 HP, Half **

Prep held Labishak scoreless through the first 17 minutes. HP hit a buzzer-beating three to close 1Q 22-8. Bishops have survived the pressure for the most part — just couldn’t buy a bucket in the 1Q.
BR has also held Nyalle to only 4 points. However, Zyaun’s hot start has helped HP maintain the lead.

49/39 end 3Q.

That was not a good third quarter for the Bishops. Pressure starting to get to them in the HC, and HP is cutting down the passing lanes. BR hit a buzzer-beating layup. BR’s 2nd/3rd leading scorer on the season, their 2, is scoreless on the night and has been on four fouls.

It has been an underwhelming 2nd half for Bishop Rosecrans. Another thing HP has done is limited Hartman touches, which has led Labishak to do most of the damage in the second half.

I think this game has solidified Labishak as the clear front runner in the first half. Hartman and Labishak are the best 1/2 punch since the purvis brothers.

Overall, the triple-header was a great environment. BR won the Freshman game pretty, by around 20 points. However, their JV team, which was pretty much their Freshman team, got beat by 25 against the JV team. The main event, the Varsity, was one of the best games I have seen in a while. Harvest Prep dominates from the get go as they run up to a 22-8 lead. Bishop Rosecrans Hartman fires back, making 5 threes, limiting HPS lead to 5. The second half was also pretty hectic. The two teams were very physical with each other, leading to bickering from both teams. One of the two most heated moments was when Nyalle fell down after getting bumped, and two parents walked to the ref and cussed him out. Harvest Prep pulled away in the 4th, capped off with a thunderous dunk by Nyalle Shaheed. The end of game was also, as usual, pretty hectic as both teams were jawing one another. Luckily, the two teams separated and headed to their respective locker rooms.
Final Score
HPS-64
BR-53
Original Prediction
HPS-65
BR-56

If an evaluator was in the building (unlikely), he should talk to the trail and ask him why on God’s earth he didn’t whistle in a stoppage of play within seconds of Shaheed staying down. The kid’s barely moving and is obviously writhing in pain, Lord knows if he landed on his back or something (thank goodness it wasn’t what happened to the kid from Buckeye Valley a few years ago) and you’re letting 6-7 seconds go through on the OTHER side of the court.

I didn’t think, or really see, the kids (were) jawing at another during or after the game. Really I thought the kids were fine. There was an invocation of Steve Wojciechowski’s floor slap, which I don’t really mind (happened in another game this year; and I actually appreciated seeing it since that game is far closer to Duke-UNC than Rosecrans/HP is… lol) and the kids stayed on the court too long. But really you can’t put that on them — the Dennis/Rock situation obviously isn’t great and there probably was a chance to “be the bigger person” after the game. But I won’t cast aspersions on it. I respect both coaches for what they are on, and off, the court. There’s probably no way for it to be mended, and it probably doesn’t matter at this point.

//

FWIW, there were no tech’s. The only thing that probably should’ve incurred one was a bench T on Prep for the head tap celebration… but I’m fine with it not being called given the circumstances and how it’d probably make things worse.

Miller has more wins on Granville Pike in the last two years than BU and GCC combined.

No nights off in the MSL-Cardinal.

Last edited:
Rematch
Northside Christian 58
Tree of life 46
Final

What a difference a player makes when that player is a 6’7” D1 guard.

Tree will be without their transfer from HP for the second half of the season, so it wouldn’t surprise me for them to have an off night and drop another one. Liberty was within 6 earlier in the week and Shekinah only lost by 1 back in December.

What a difference a player makes when that player is a 6’7” D1 guard.

Tree will be without their transfer from HP for the second half of the season, so it wouldn’t surprise me for them to have an off night and drop another one. Liberty was within 6 earlier in the week and Shekinah only lost by 1 back in December.
Is just wasn’t him they also have a couple guys that are good at the 3s
Northside plays Columbus Academy in a couple weeks which should be a great game

Is just wasn’t him they also have a couple guys that are good at the 3s
Northside plays Columbus Academy in a couple weeks which should be a great game
Very true. The point I was making was simply that they played earlier in the season with everyone except the star and Tree won big. Vanderwarker returns and Northside wins big. Basically, he’s really good lol.

Midseason MOCAL update if any of you MSL Cardinal folks are curious about the D4 landscape.

My preseason predictions were pretty much spot on thus far if I may pat myself on the back. Second half of the year could tell a different story as always, but so far things have gone to form:

1-tied) Northside Christian (6-1): Just walloped Tree of Life in a revenge game. Tree is fortunate that the one game Vanderwarker missed was at their place in December. Since that unexpected loss to FCA, Northside has won 71-38, 65-32, 73-38, 62-38, and 58-36. We knew the offense would be there, but the defense holding teams in the 30s is that next step. Ben Patrick coming in and I'm assuming having a say in their press is starting to really pay off. With Tree and I guess Delaware out of the way in conference action, I can't see any of the bottom teams getting close to giving Northside another loss.

1-tied) Tree of Life (6-1): Not to discredit Tree's good start, but their transfer from HP is done for the year, they had another starter blow out his knee, and they just lost their biggest game of the season by 22 points. Shekinah only lost by 1 earlier in the year to Tree with their other players and Liberty was just within 6. It's very possible that Tree could run the table in conference play and tie for the league title, but it's also not out of the question for them to have an off night and drop one. Being in D3 also likely kills their chance at a tournament run. Then again, they also beat D3 West Jefferson easily, so who knows?

3-tied) Delaware Christian (3-3): Don't know much about them other than they have a good post and a bunch of young guards, which could be a contributing factor as to why they are a little inconsistent. They play Shekinah for the first time tonight which could give an edge to the third place team in the conference. I initially thought they might be able to keep it close with the top teams (they did the first time against Tree), but after two blowouts against Northside I think it's pretty clear that there is a dropoff from that top tier.

3-tied) Shekinah Christian (3-3): I've heard they had lots of illnesses and injuries to start the year, which makes sense because they started 0-7 and have gone 4-1 since. The schedule also seems to have lightened a bit. Looking at 270 Hoops, they have apparently started 10 different players this year including 4 sophomores and a freshman, which is crazy to me. Maybe they're getting healthy and will finish strong. Seems like they're often a second-half of the year team. Delaware game tonight could give an indication of whether they are a contender 3rd place or not.

5-tied) Liberty Christian (2-5): Split with Shekinah and got within 6 against Tree while beating Granville by 15, so I'm gonna give them the tiebreaker. They have two phenomenal seniors and don't seem to have issues scoring on most nights, but defense is an issue based on the scores. Could still see them catching Shekinah and Delaware if they figure some things out in the second half.

5-tied) Granville Christian (2-5): They haven't gotten within single digits of any team in the conference...except Madison Christian who they've hammered twice (14 and 21 point wins). Yet Madison nearly won at Delaware and at Shekinah. Guess it's just a favorable matchup.

7) Madison Christian: Played tough against Delaware and Shekinah but nothing to show for it. Looked to be way better than at the start of the year, at least until their recent blowout loss at home against Granville. Could see them knocking off Shekinah/Delaware at home on the return trips.

Other than Northside, I don't think I can see a MOCAL team winning a tournament game against a top-half seed. With 2 districts and no Sectional Semis, I don't think there will be many games with two low seeds that would play.