Mid American Conference Track & Field top Men athletes

runohio

Here are some of the top Mid American Conference Track & Field men athletes since 1960 - please add others:

Akron
Clayton Murphy – Bronze medalist 800 meters 2016 Olympics
Shawn Barber – competed in 2016 Olympics pole vault

Bowling Green
Dave Wottle – Gold medal 800 1976 Olympics
Sid Sink – American record holder in the steeple chase from 1969-1972

Eastern Michigan
Tommy Asinga -three time Olympian 800 meters 1988, 1992, 1996

Kent State
Gerald Tinker member of 4x100 meter relay team Gold medal 1972 tied American record
Thomas Jefferson competed in 1984 Olympics in 200 meters
William Barnes compete in 2016 Olympics in 110 meter hurdles
Danniel Thomas-Dodd won silver in shot put at the 2019 IAAF World Championships

Miami University
Bob Schul – Gold medal 5,000 meters 1964 Olympics
Bob Schul American record holder in 2 mile, 3 mile and 5,000 meters

Ohio University
Les Carney silver medal 200 meters 1960 Olympics
Elmore Banton won NCAA Division I Men's Cross Country championship 1964
Stan Huntsman head Men Track & Field Olympic coach 1988

Toledo
Paul Sehzue competed in 2000 Olympics in 110 meter hurdles

Western Michigan
NCAA National Cross Country Champions - 1964 and 1965

Earl Jones - Eastern Michigan. 84 Olympics Bronze - Absolute best runner I have ever run against. In college, at an elite level, he could go 100m to 10,000m. Could run as many races in a day as there was races in a day. He could also run any style you wanted. Hammer from the gun, Sit and kick.

Matt Ludwig - Akron

Eastern Michigan had two gold medalist in the Olympics:
Hayes Jones - 110 High Hurdles (1964)
Hasley Crawford - 100 Meter Dash (1976)

Here are some of the top Mid American Conference Track & Field men athletes since 1960 - please add others:

Akron
Clayton Murphy – Bronze medalist 800 meters 2016 Olympics
Shawn Barber – competed in 2016 Olympics pole vault

Bowling Green
Dave Wottle – Gold medal 800 1976 Olympics
Sid Sink – American record holder in the steeple chase from 1969-1972

Eastern Michigan
Tommy Asinga -three time Olympian 800 meters 1988, 1992, 1996

Kent State
Gerald Tinker member of 4x100 meter relay team Gold medal 1972 tied American record
Thomas Jefferson competed in 1984 Olympics in 200 meters
William Barnes compete in 2016 Olympics in 110 meter hurdles
Danniel Thomas-Dodd won silver in shot put at the 2019 IAAF World Championships

Miami University
Bob Schul – Gold medal 5,000 meters 1964 Olympics
Bob Schul American record holder in 2 mile, 3 mile and 5,000 meters

Ohio University
Les Carney silver medal 200 meters 1960 Olympics
Elmore Banton won NCAA Division I Men's Cross Country championship 1964
Stan Huntsman head Men Track & Field Olympic coach 1988

Toledo
Paul Sehzue competed in 2000 Olympics in 110 meter hurdles

Western Michigan
NCAA National Cross Country Champions - 1964 and 1965

Final 3 laps of 1964 Olympics - Bob Schul 5,000 meters

Earl Jones - Eastern Michigan. 84 Olympics Bronze - Absolute best runner I have ever run against. In college, at an elite level, he could go 100m to 10,000m. Could run as many races in a day as there was races in a day. He could also run any style you wanted. Hammer from the gun, Sit and kick.

Matt Ludwig - Akron
I was at the 1984 Ohio U. Relays where I first saw Earl Jones run. He was well known then even before the OT & OG.

No mention of Miami U. & Cincinnati's Central Vocational all-time great shot putter, Tom Jones!

No mention of Miami U. & Cincinnati's Central Vocational all-time great shot putter, Tom Jones!
Tom Jones’ MAC Championship-winning mark of 59-1 in the shot put, set at the 1955 MAC meet, lasted as a Miami record for 59 years until 2014.

Last edited:
Bruno Pauletto was the Canadian record holder in the shot, and made 2 olympic teams after winning the NCAA Indoor for Central Michigan

BG had great teams in the early 70's Tim Zumbaugh , Craig MacDonald ,etc...

Dave Mora won the Goodwill Games Marathon in 1990. I lived in Tacoma at the time. My parents had flown out and we had tickets to track & field all days. My wife and I were at my company picnic all day on the day of the Marathon. We were watching the news when they said there was an unlikely winner in the men's Marathon. We looked up at the TV and they showed a snippet of just runners from below the waist down. I looked at her and said "That's Dave Mora." She laughed and asked if I was sure. Yeah, I know that gate anywhere. Sure enough it was. They came back after commercial and said Dave Mora had won the race.

First day of the track and field we are walking into the stadium and my mom notices Dan O'Brien walking near us. She goes up to him and we end up talking to him for some time not drawing any attention to him. We later teased her that we probably jynxed him. We take our seats in the stadium and 3 of us take turns looking through binoculars to see if we see Dave Mora anywhere. When it's moms turn she says "I found him." She hadn't even looked through the glasses yet. We all said WHAT... She says "isn't that Dave?" She points and Dave is sitting 4 seats away from me in the same row. I turn and look and then Say, "Aren't you Dave Mora, the winner of the Marathon?" He looks at me and smiles and then is mobbed for 10 minutes. After that, I went for a run with him. I was in jeans. We went out to eat and my mom was just tickled that she got to see "Dave" and Dan. She used to joke about that. Mom just passed in March. 1990 was a long time ago. I could still run.

Last edited:
Sources tell me years ago Miami University discussed dropping men’s track & field. Wayne Embry was a Miami University trustee and he showed up at a MU Board of Trustee meeting that included discussion about which men sports the university was going to drop. Men’s track & field was discussed until Embry stressed issues the university could have if they dropped one of the sports which helped attract minority students to campus. Many believe the race issue was a strong reason to keep men’s track & field. Men’s golf, tennis, soccer and wrestling were eliminated from the Miami.

Sources tell me years ago Miami University discussed dropping men’s track & field. Wayne Embry was a Miami University trustee and he showed up at a MU Board of Trustee meeting that included discussion about which men sports the university was going to drop. Men’s track & field was discussed until Embry stressed issues the university could have if they dropped one of the sports which helped attract minority students to campus. Many believe the race issue was a strong reason to keep men’s track & field. Men’s golf, tennis, soccer and wrestling were eliminated from the Miami.
I can believe this 100%.

That story was just on 92.3 The Fan here in NE Ohio. With Jeff Phelps and Andy Baskin. I believe it was Thursday or Friday.

I can believe this 100%.
When I was in graduate school at Miami I started the women cross country club under the Association of Intercollegiate Athletics for Women and coached the team for four years . The NCAA started sponsoring women’s championships two years after I formed the team. An university personnel who I knew told me the story about the men’s track & field issue.