Mentor Football 2024

Some early info from the camps.
- a lot of changes in the offense in routes and formations which is good. The passing game will have a lot of flexibility.
- the combination of these 4 receivers (Hodge , VanHuss, Cerny, Serpitowski) with Scotty throwing are running up and down the field at will on the DB’s They are very difficult to handle. A friend of mine watched a practice and said he hasn’t seen a recievers core / QB Combo like this at mentor in a long time.
- I heard Coughlin Quit ? Not sure if that is true or not but a friend who has a son on the team told me that. Can anyone confirm ? If this is true it is very sad , he has always been a hell of a ball player. Not sure if his injury from last year is getting the best of him maybe ?

With the offensive changes hoping they give Scotty more freedom at the line.

- a lot of changes in the offense in routes and formations which is good. The passing game will have a lot of flexibility.
- the combination of these 4 receivers (Hodge , VanHuss, Cerny, Serpitowski) with Scotty throwing are running up and down the field at will on the DB’s They are very difficult to handle. A friend of mine watched a practice and said he hasn’t seen a recievers core / QB Combo like this at mentor in a long time.
- I heard Coughlin Quit ? Not sure if that is true or not but a friend who has a son on the team told me that. Can anyone confirm ? If this is true it is very sad , he has always been a hell of a ball player. Not sure if his injury from last year is getting the best of him maybe ?

Hoping that's more the WRs being great instead of the corners being terrible and out of position

Hopefully it's more the WRs being great rather than the corners being awful and out of position which unfortunately happens way too often ...

That would suck if Coughlin quit

Hopefully it's more the WRs being great rather than the corners being awful and out of position which unfortunately happens way too often ...

That would suck if Coughlin quit

Certainly hoping the offense comes together. But it's easy to get nice passes off with no threat coming from a pass rusher in practice.

Certainly hoping the offense comes together. But it's easy to get nice passes off with no threat coming from a pass rusher in practice.
Fair .. although I think our line will be strong this year .. hoping for good things from running game and passing

Looks like your offense could be a strong one like in years past. Hodge shows promise and then there's a a drop in talent after him so teams will be looking for Hodge get the ball so it would be cool to see Mentor bring back a run game to.

Looks like your offense could be a strong one like in years past. Hodge shows promise and then there's a a drop in talent after him so teams will be looking for Hodge get the ball so it would be cool to see Mentor bring back a run game to.
Not sure how much of a drop off there is? Marcus was hurt all last year , so if he stays healthy he is dangerous, I’m fairly certain he is one of the fastest kids on the team. Vanhuss had similar numbers to Hodge last year from what I can remember minus a few TD’s and has DI offers I’m pretty sure. Cerny is a Sr. Coming back who got a lot of solid time and has Great hands. If they try to focus down Hodge thinking he is all we have it will be a costly mistake IMHO.

Not sure how much of a drop off there is? Marcus was hurt all last year , so if he stays healthy he is dangerous, I’m fairly certain he is one of the fastest kids on the team. Vanhuss had similar numbers to Hodge last year from what I can remember minus a few TD’s and has DI offers I’m pretty sure. Cerny is a Sr. Coming back who got a lot of solid time and has Great hands. If they try to focus down Hodge thinking he is all we have it will be a costly mistake IMHO.
Should be interesting. The offense seems to be pretty much the same as last year then and they couldn't get it going for whatever reason. That defense is what kept Mentor in the games last season, maybe the same this year.

Should be interesting. The offense seems to be pretty much the same as last year then and they couldn't get it going for whatever reason. That defense is what kept Mentor in the games last season, maybe the same this year.
Yeah generally when a team takes youth and then returns 9 starters on one side of the ball it is viewed as a huge positive of the team due to growth , strength, speed, experience etc.. maybe Medina does things differently.

Got it going to score 42 and beat Medina

Offense did enough except for the two Ignatius games last year

Can't count the Cleveland Hts game with a backup QB in who couldn't throw the ball

Got it going to score 42 and beat Medina

Offense did enough except for the two Ignatius games last year

Can't count the Cleveland Hts game with a backup QB in who couldn't throw the ball
After the out of bounds helmet to helmet on Scotty that wasn’t called and knocked him out of the game , that same backup beat Medina .. lol.

After the out of bounds helmet to helmet on Scotty that wasn’t called and knocked him out of the game , that same backup beat Medina .. lol.
Id say it was more the team beat Medina. One of the WRs made a heck of a catch on a badly thrown ball to win it really.

Id say it was more the team beat Medina. One of the WRs made a heck of a catch on a badly thrown ball to win it really.
You guys seem pretty hyped up on these receivers. The spread really only works if there are multiple good receivers and a consistent QB. One standout receiver with some other ok ones and your QB seems iffy.

You guys seem pretty hyped up on these receivers. The spread really only works if there are multiple good receivers and a consistent QB. One standout receiver with some other ok ones and your QB seems iffy.
Not hyped for state or anything. But considering a very average Mentor squad put up 42 on Medina and beat them last year, Id say Medina doesnt ever intimidate us.

Mentor has owned Medina over the years. 11-2 vs them including the most recent meeting .

I don't think you guys have any ground to stand on in trying to tell us about the spread or winning football

Your fanbase sure talks a lot while never really winning anything 😁

If you try to put Mentor down in our thread and also in your Medina thread, you'll get pushback. Better to just focus on your own school rather than trying to pick fights with Mentor who owns Medina

Last edited:
We are going to have to score a ton and not let the opposing QB more than 2.5 seconds to throw. lol.
1). Are there really that many good Qbs and passing attacks out there that Mentor will face? Other than Medina? 2). I'd rather have a solid front 7 and be weak behind it, than a solid back 4 and a weak front 7. Mentor should be a pretty solid team this season. They could possibly be the one to dethrone Ed's for the Region title. Obviously injuries to key players can change all of that. Plus I'm sure Ed's can take an key injury hit better than Mentor, do to sheer numbers and depth. Very much looking forward to another great season of Ohio HS football.

1). Are there really that many good Qbs and passing attacks out there that Mentor will face? Other than Medina? 2). I'd rather have a solid front 7 and be weak behind it, than a solid back 4 and a weak front 7. Mentor should be a pretty solid team this season. They could possibly be the one to dethrone Ed's for the Region title. Obviously injuries to key players can change all of that. Plus I'm sure Ed's can take an key injury hit better than Mentor, do to sheer numbers and depth. Very much looking forward to another great season of Ohio HS football.
I agree on wanting a great front 7 over a great back 4. The issue is Mentor is usually weak at corner. Hopefully the new staff can adjust on that.

I don't know if we have it to take the region this year but I'll hope you're right

How would you rank the ten opponents on the schedule in terms of difficulty?

I think the top two that stand out to me are St Ignatius and Cleveland Heights. Medina is probably third. I don't know anything about Erie (PA) McDowell or River Rogue (Michigan). Jackson is probably in the 4-6 range. I don't know what to make of Brunswick, Strongsville, or Shaker - but I am guessing they are near the bottom. Euclid is very likely headed for another 1-9/0-10 type of season at the very bottom of Mentor's schedule. My best guess based on past reputation and incoming talent is something like this:

St Ignatius
Cleveland Heights
Medina
Jackson
McDowell
Shaker
River Rogue
Strongsville
Brunswick
Euclid

I think the top two that stand out to me are St Ignatius and Cleveland Heights. Medina is probably third. I don't know anything about Erie (PA) McDowell or River Rogue (Michigan). Jackson is probably in the 4-6 range. I don't know what to make of Brunswick, Strongsville, or Shaker - but I am guessing they are near the bottom. Euclid is very likely headed for another 1-9/0-10 type of season at the very bottom of Mentor's schedule. My best guess based on past reputation and incoming talent is something like this:

St Ignatius
Cleveland Heights
Medina
Jackson
McDowell
Shaker
River Rogue
Strongsville
Brunswick
Euclid
My school has played Erie McDowell the last 2 seasons. They were 8-5 and 10-3 during that time. They return their QB, senior Blayze Myers. He threw for 2716 yards with 34 passing TDs last season. They also have some talented athletic skill players back. They do have a new coach though. I'd probably put them ahead of Jackson and maybe even Medina.

St Ignatius
Cleveland Heights
Medina
Jackson
McDowell
Shaker
River Rogue
Strongsville
Brunswick
Euclid

St Ignatius
Cleveland Heights
Medina
Jackson
McDowell
Shaker
River Rogue
Strongsville
Brunswick
Euclid
I would put Cleveland Hts. and Medina (assuming the rumor of a QB transfer is accurate) as the 2 toughest games. 3 would be Ignatius just a smidge behind Medina. (but close between the 2). McDowell does have their QB coming back. (Blaze Myers. He is very talented). But they lost a lot last year. I think they will be down, especially because they lost a lot on the OL. A new head coach. The head coach that resigned was also the play caller/OC. The new head coach was the DC. So a lot of moving parts coaching wise. They are a huge school like Mentor, so it really depends upon what is in the pipeline from their JV team. But I have Mentor winning that games by at least 3 scores.

Last edited:

St Ignatius
Cleveland Heights
Medina
Jackson
McDowell
Shaker
River Rogue
Strongsville
Brunswick
Euclid
well because you asked and there's not much going on.. And please don't take this like I'm dissing on Mentor.. much respect..but from an outsider looking in. I think the league you're in doesn't do you any favors. I like the first 3. I think Iggy will be better than last year because the new coach has a year and I think they were on the younger side so I would say they're one. Heights and Medina, hard to say flip a coin they should both be pretty good.. But after that? Jackson will beat most of the D2 teams in the federal league but probably lose to D1 schools McKinley and Glen Oak but still good for computer points to get some home playoff games . McDowell, just OK, but I think they're up and down. Shaker? well it's Shaker everyonce in a while they run out a decent team but not sure about them. River Rouge, I know they're usually good and athletic.. Brunswick and Strongsville are the problen children, they should be good and they're just not for whatever reason if they were equal to Medina then it's a different deal, Euclid.. ughh I guess its good in week 10 because the Cards can rest people after the first snap heading into playoffs. I wish there was a better league for you guys. You'll always make the playoffs but I just wish there were more teams that can prepare them for weeks 13 and beyond. Especially since it sounds like you're going to have a top tier team with a lot of talent coming back..Being challenged is a good thing. I was looking at a couple top tier teams in the area and their schedules and I'll post soon just as a comparison... Someone else posted somewhere a pretty cool "New League" in which Mentor was included. There were some D2 schools and a bit of travel (Like an hour every other year) But I remember Hudson and Massillon being the D2 schools, maybe one other one, cant remember off the top of my head And it also included Medina and Heights...Of course it wont happen, you'd have to break up other leagues and stuff like that but I remember thinking, it sounds like a nice set up for Mentor..But anyway, hope you guys have a great year from the sounds of it you should!
Iggy
Heights
Medina
River Rouge
Mc Dowell
Jackson
Shaker
Brunswick
Strongsville
Euclid

Here are 4 schedules I pulled, two D1 and two D2 schools from NEO. So you're roadblocks are Iggy and of course Ed's, but check out their schedules especially Ed's. And even the D2 schools are rough
Iggy
Avon
Mentor
Dublin Coffman
Walsh Jesuit
Hoban
St Ed’s
Moeller
St Xavier
Clarkson North

Hoban
Archbishop Spalding (MD) 10-2 last year
Don Bosco Prep (NJ)
Buchtel
Akron East
St Ignatius
Mt Vernon (IL) 6-4 last year
Walsh Jesuit
Glenville
Central York (PA) 11-1 last year
St Ed’s

Massillon
NFL Academy (London) Pittsburgh CC pulled out late and couldn't find an opponent so they travel to Oregon as part of the Nike open
Glen Oak
Bergen Catholic (NJ) State Champs
Canisius (NY)
St Ed’s
Dematha (MD) 9-2, last year lost in playoff to Our Lady of Good Council 7-0
Clarkson North
Miami Edison
Warren Harding
Canton McKinley

St’ Ed’s
Pickerington North
St Joseph’s Prep (PA) 13-1 State Champs, only loss was 17-14 to IMG
Boyle County (KY) 15-0 State Champs
Elder
Massillon
Glenville
St Ignatius
Clarkson North
Moeller
Hoban

Here are 4 schedules I pulled, two D1 and two D2 schools from NEO. So you're roadblocks are Iggy and of course Ed's, but check out their schedules especially Ed's. And even the D2 schools are rough
Iggy
Avon
Mentor
Dublin Coffman
Walsh Jesuit
Hoban
St Ed’s
Moeller
St Xavier
Clarkson North

Hoban
Archbishop Spalding (MD) 10-2 last year
Don Bosco Prep (NJ)
Buchtel
Akron East
St Ignatius
Mt Vernon (IL) 6-4 last year
Walsh Jesuit
Glenville
Central York (PA) 11-1 last year
St Ed’s

Massillon
NFL Academy (London) Pittsburgh CC pulled out late and couldn't find an opponent so they travel to Oregon as part of the Nike open
Glen Oak
Bergen Catholic (NJ) State Champs
Canisius (NY)
St Ed’s
Dematha (MD) 9-2, last year lost in playoff to Our Lady of Good Council 7-0
Clarkson North
Miami Edison
Warren Harding
Canton McKinley

St’ Ed’s
Pickerington North
St Joseph’s Prep (PA) 13-1 State Champs, only loss was 17-14 to IMG
Boyle County (KY) 15-0 State Champs
Elder
Massillon
Glenville
St Ignatius
Clarkson North
Moeller
Hoban
You pulled 4 independent schools and compared them to a closed enrollment public school in a league for all sports ...

So of course with no set games vs 6 or 7 set games it can give more flexibility. A league overall is better for well rounded programs though if they can find one

The GCC is very good for all sports. Those schools would join a league in a second if they could by the way

So not really relevant at all to this thread

Last edited:

St Ignatius
Cleveland Heights
Medina
Jackson
McDowell
Shaker
River Rogue
Strongsville
Brunswick
Euclid
Id flip Heights and Iggy and move McDowell and Shaker over Jackson as my guess

You pulled 4 independent schools who recruit and compared them to a closed enrollment public school in a league for all sports ...

So of course with no set games vs 6 or 7 set games it can give more flexibility. A league overall is better for well rounded programs though if they can find one

The GCC is very good for all sports. Those schools would join a league in a second if they could by the way

So not really relevant at all to this thread
People must be forgetting about all the other sports when they say something like that. Nobody in their right mind is trying to schedule 22 independent girls basketball game if they dont have to lol. ESPECIALLY when the conference theyre is good in all sports like you said