Mentor Football 2022

Eds lines are really really really good. That D line and Kilbane are a major problem. Part of me wants to go to this game, part of me thinks the better decision might be Padua Holy Name. I just don't see anyone combatting that D line for 4 full quarters.
Why not Avon vs TCC. I think THAT is the game .

Why not Avon vs TCC. I think THAT is the game .
But I will be looking at the TCC vs Avon game and the Mentor vs. Ed's game trying to decide which one to go to. Both have the makings of great games. That DL of Ed's is a huge headache for everyone they play. That is a concern for sure.

Last edited:
Congrats on the win Mentor. That mini college is waiting.

You guys have been very critical of your coaching staff, but can it be said that this is Gray’s first game where he out coached the opposition? By reading the articles and talking to a few folks who were at the game, that seems to be the case.

You guys have been very critical of your coaching staff, but can it be said that this is Gray’s first game where he out coached the opposition? By reading the articles and talking to a few folks who were at the game, that seems to be the case.
I’ve been critical and bottom line is you can’t argue with success. Mentor had a good game plan on both sides of the ball and the players executed it. Hats off to him and his staff.

Reread my post #595. The time has come and win or lose, the Mentor community I'm sure is extremely proud of their 2022 football student athletes. They made the Regional final. I know many posters including Mentor posters that really didn't give them a shot when my post #595 was written. Now they have 1 shot at taking down the beast and winning the Region. I've said it and written it before. You don't have to be the better team, you just have to be the better team THAT night. Cards vs Eagles: here we go again!! Love it.

On a rainy night, Mentor ran more than they passed. Medina’s defense had weaknesses, and Gray put together a game plan that capitalized on it. Most notably, using Waite as the bell cow and allowing Fox to use his legs when necessary.

Defensively, I didn’t love Funk’s plan - it was bend, not break mode. Medina had 500 yards of offense. But the interceptions and 4th down defense were the difference. Mentor usually dropped 7, sometimes 8 into coverage. Stoddard had all day to throw. But ultimately, it worked out. I can give the coaches credit for this win.

Great Team Win defense Looked good, corners locked shaky at times, safeties played well, same with LBs. Fox used his legs well picking up around 70 yards on the ground, Medina had a 5 man box and mentor took advantage of that and ran up the middle all over them.

Congrats to the Cards. They shocked the Bees. Great team win. Matt Gray put a great game plan together. I believe Mentor- Medina games will be barn burners for the next few years.

Congrats to the Cards. They shocked the Bees. Great team win. Matt Gray put a great game plan together. I believe Mentor- Medina games will be barn burners for the next few years.
Couldn't agree more. Hey, they must have done something right becuase there were much fewer F bombs and personal insults hurled at the coaching staff, AD, and players than normal by one parent.

I am great, thanks for checking on me! I have better things to do than sit here and read this stuff. I was wrong, Mentor played great. The offense was clicking, a few hiccups with some play calling. The defense was outstanding, Orosz and Burkholder are men, they played very well. Vernon, was double teamed the entire game but he played hard and was able to get a few pressures. The DB's were lights out. Medina's coaching staff makes Mentors look like the staff at Ohio State, geez. Brutal!
Here is what I think......

If I am Mentor, I am playing 4 down w/ Vernon and Lawson at DT's and Burkholder and #30 on the edge. Make Ed's have to pass to beat me, use the speed of #11 and #30 off the edge, maybe that would cause some problems for Ed's big tackles. Jacob Snow has to play both ways in this game, its a must. Don't let Ed's run the ball, cause that's what they will want to do. Offensively, lets hope they have plenty of quick passing game routes and screens because I think Ed's will be bringing the house often. Use St Ed's being aggressive against them.

I believe Mentor can keep this close for 3 qtrs. I just don't think they have the horses to run with Ed's and can see this being a 35-14 type of game, a late defensive TD as Mentor is trying to get back into it late.
Here is what I think......

If I am Mentor, I am playing 4 down w/ Vernon and Lawson at DT's and Burkholder and #30 on the edge. Make Ed's have to pass to beat me, use the speed of #11 and #30 off the edge, maybe that would cause some problems for Ed's big tackles. Jacob Snow has to play both ways in this game, its a must. Don't let Ed's run the ball, cause that's what they will want to do. Offensively, lets hope they have plenty of quick passing game routes and screens because I think Ed's will be bringing the house often. Use St Ed's being aggressive against them.

I believe Mentor can keep this close for 3 qtrs. I just don't think they have the horses to run with Ed's and can see this being a 35-14 type of game, a late defensive TD as Mentor is trying to get back into it late.
Sure hope your wrong once again. No disrespect Go Cards and the scheme as I’m informed sounds spot on if they are going to pull it off again. Ed’s can be beat we’ve already seen that this year

The players and coaches deserve a lot of credit for making it to this point in the season. After a few tough losses early on, they could have very easily packed it in, but they've gotten better and put themselves in position to win a regional title.

The Cards will be underdogs again against St Eds, but I know in the locker room will have 100% belief that they can and will win this game. If the past has shown us anything, never count out the Cards!

The players and coaches deserve a lot of credit for making it to this point in the season. After a few tough losses early on, they could have very easily packed it in, but they've gotten better and put themselves in position to win a regional title.

The Cards will be underdogs again against St Eds, but I know in the locker room will have 100% belief that they can and will win this game. If the past has shown us anything, never count out the Cards!
The Cards have been the underdogs a few times in this matchup, and ended up being the spoiler....

Has anyone heard any health updates on corners Chase Hull and Trey Fisher? Hull looked like he might have suffered a concussion making a tackle late in the Medina game and on the very next play, his sub Trey Fisher looked to have a serious knee injury breaking up a long pass in the end zone.

Has anyone heard any health updates on corners Chase Hull and Trey Fisher? Hull looked like he might have suffered a concussion making a tackle late in the Medina game and on the very next play, his sub Trey Fisher looked to have a serious knee injury breaking up a long pass in the end zone.
Hull is good to go, while Fisher unfortunatly broke his leg

Is there really a need for this in our thread ? We get we are big underdogs. Better than being out already like your school ...

This team overachieved already this season. I didn't expect them to get to this stage.
He does this every year. It’s exhausting. He doesn’t post until basketball season is about to start, but chimes in on football well. He will be all over the basketball forum soon posting like he knows everything.

Then he switches teams, one minute he supports VASJ and once they start struggling, he will move on to Euclid.