Mentor Cardinals Football 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

FightingCardinal

Longtime Mentor QB Coach Nes Janiak is retiring. Janiak coached quarterbacks for 24 years at Mentor and was largely responsible for the run of outstanding QBs since the late 90s, including Jason Bratten, Thom Abbott, Chris Jacquemain, Bart Tanski, Mitchell Trubisky, Conner Krizancic, Tadas Tatarunas, Ian Kipp and Jacob Snow.

Well that's a nightmare start to the off-season. Too bad it wasnt Funk

Looks like we still have weeks 4 and 5 open. I was hoping we'd shift iggy and /or eds to those weeks and have more options in weeks 1-3. Still nothing on the last 2 opponents though at this time

Mentor has added St Ignatius in Week 2, Weeks 4 and 5 are still open.

1611450542119.png

Mentor has added a home game vs Clarkson Football North for week 5, September 17th...assuming Clarkson is allowed to cross the border.

Mentor has added a home game vs Clarkson Football North for week 5, September 17th...assuming Clarkson is allowed to cross the border.
Figured they'd be one of two. Oh joy ?

Risky move too that a team from Canada will be able to cross the border. Have to hope the vaccine is available to all by fall and also that the government let's us go back to normal by then.

Still think moving eds and Ignatius to weeks 4 and ,5 was more logical. More teams are open in weeks 1-3 to give more options

I expect some catholic school or out of state one in week 4 now. Again hope they can travel if it's a non ohio school

Last edited:
NEO schools that are open in Week 4 (according to this link: http://yappi.com/forum/index.php?threads/2021-open-unknown-weeks.338369/) include Hoban, Shaker, Youngstown East, Akron Ellet, and SVSM. Shaker? East and Ellet are city schools that will take a one year deal for some $$ to fund their athletic program. Sure-fire wins that do nothing for Mentor other than fill the schedule. Shaker is incredibly unlikely. Hoban would play Mentor, but I don't think it is a good idea. Ignatius, Eds, McKinley, and Medina are already four games where Mentor is a potential/probable underdog. This is a bit of a transition season, a step back for sure. Call me chicken, but I would rather have a 4-6 Youngstown East/Akron Ellet team on the schedule than a likely loss to Hoban. Ellet won 5 games in 2019, so a nice harbin cow on an already tough schedule.

My number one choice would be SVSM. A much more likely win than Hoban, still a solid opponent, and more harbin potential than Ellet or East.

What to expect in 2021? The schedule is tough as always. After 11 straight seasons with anywhere between very good to elite QB play, I personally expected quite a down grade in 2021. Jacob Snow had a great state semifinal game in incredibly difficult circumstances. Hopefully that was a sign that the next two years will see very high level QB play. That is an absolute necessity at Mentor.

Besides Snow, the most important player on the field will be Brenan Vernon. Let's face it, our elite defensive players haven't always dominated in the way elite defensive players do at some other schools, like Ignatius, Eds, St X, etc. I'm not suggesting that Mentor's players failed, I just expected a little bit more. I'm hoping Vernon can overcome some of the obstacles, namely the defensive coaching that has held the program back over the past 20 years. Putting Vernon (and Potter before him) in a 3-4 is an incredible waste of their talent. But hey, the DC clearly knows more than I do. Vernon is an elite talent, probably the best defensive recruit ever at Mentor. If he can put together a dominant season at his position, that will help everybody on defense look better. I'm expecting DL Benny LoDuca to take a big jump this year. LB Aiden Fellows is probably going to be the best linebacker on the team. Two starters from the secondary are back, but we know that unit has to improve.

Offensively, Mentor graduated a steady group of receivers. Nobody at a Floriea level, but very steady and consistent. The only one returning was the most explosive of the group. Snow could really use a breakout season from Evan Harper, who showed a lot of flash and big play potential. He was the only non-senior with a catch last year. Last year's kick returner Michael Norwood has some nice speed and should be a full-time receiver in 2021. RB Brandon Panhorst was fine as a backup last year. But he lacked the burst, size, and strength of Riley Coughlin. I'm not convinced Panhorst will be the full-time back, but I hope he is good enough to do it.

On the line, Mentor graduated their top three starters. They have had really good offensive line play the past few years and I don't know if it is going to continue or not. Two starting linemen (Danny Call and Ethan Bostelman) do return, so that is better than having to replace all five.

Losing kicker Andrew Smith, maybe the best Mentor kicker since Kevin Harper, is a tremendous loss. Not sure how the backup is.

People who know more than me, feel free to fill in some blanks.

QB - Jacob Snow
RB - Brandon Panhorst
WR - Evan Harper
WR - Michael Norwood ??
WR - ??
WR - ??
OL - Danny Call
OL - Ethan Bostelman
OL - ??
OL - ??
OL - ??

DE - Brenan Vernon
DT - Benny LoDuca
DE - Matt Savor ??
LB - Aiden Fellows
LB - ??
LB - ??
LB - ??
CB - Mike Harrison
CB - ??
FS - ??
SS - Aiden George

I hope it's an Ohio school for week 4. Wouldn't want to take the chance on another out of state school while we are going through a pandemic. That's way too risky

Agreed on defensive coaches wasting a lot of talent over the years. Bad coaching and scheme have held a lot of teams back on that side of the ball. I expect the 3-4 defense again even though the strength is on the dline and the best player can easily be doubled or tripled when you only rush 3.

Jacob Snow is noticeably bigger than just a few months ago. He says he is now 6'-2.5" and 203 lbs. He was listed in the football program at 6'-1", 195 lbs during the season. Ian Kipp was listed at 6'-3", 210 lbs as a senior. I think Snow will be at least that big for his junior year. Snow says he has run a 4.63 40 yard dash.

Coach Triv. Next coach at Dublin Coffman? There are two really good head coaching positions open in Dublin. What do you guys think he will do?

Coach Triv. Next coach at Dublin Coffman? There are two really good head coaching positions open in Dublin. What do you guys think he will do?

Interesting. He seemed content with being a coordinator. A lot less work. But maybe he wants to get back in. I personally wouldn’t bet on it, but I also was pretty surprised he took a coaching job at all in 2020 after making it clear he wanted to take a full year off.

Interesting. He seemed content with being a coordinator. A lot less work. But maybe he wants to get back in. I personally wouldn’t bet on it, but I also was pretty surprised he took a coaching job at all in 2020 after making it clear he wanted to take a full year off.
Triv had a trip to Italy booked last year, but the pandemic cancelled that, so he took the HB assistant position. He had said he might be interested in taking an AD job after taking time off to travel. I don't see him taking a HC job either.

NEO schools that are open in Week 4 (according to this link: http://yappi.com/forum/index.php?threads/2021-open-unknown-weeks.338369/) include Hoban, Shaker, Youngstown East, Akron Ellet, and SVSM. Shaker? East and Ellet are city schools that will take a one year deal for some $$ to fund their athletic program. Sure-fire wins that do nothing for Mentor other than fill the schedule. Shaker is incredibly unlikely. Hoban would play Mentor, but I don't think it is a good idea. Ignatius, Eds, McKinley, and Medina are already four games where Mentor is a potential/probable underdog. This is a bit of a transition season, a step back for sure. Call me chicken, but I would rather have a 4-6 Youngstown East/Akron Ellet team on the schedule than a likely loss to Hoban. Ellet won 5 games in 2019, so a nice harbin cow on an already tough schedule.

My number one choice would be SVSM. A much more likely win than Hoban, still a solid opponent, and more harbin potential than Ellet or East.

The five schools I mentioned above have all filled Week 4. Hoban and SVSM scheduled a Canadian school. Ellet and East scheduled each other. It looks like Mentor will not be able to schedule an Ohio team. Some puzzling decisions, starting with not moving both Ignatius/Eds to weeks 4 and 5. I can’t say for sure if SVSM would turn down a game with Mentor over Canada, but I’m fairly certain Hoban would play Mentor.

Now Mentor is looking at a bye week, another Canadian game, or out of state.

The five schools I mentioned above have all filled Week 4. Hoban and SVSM scheduled a Canadian school. Ellet and East scheduled each other. It looks like Mentor will not be able to schedule an Ohio team. Some puzzling decisions, starting with not moving both Ignatius/Eds to weeks 4 and 5. I can’t say for sure if SVSM would turn down a game with Mentor over Canada, but I’m fairly certain Hoban would play Mentor.

I don't get it either. To me Ignatius or eds or both should have been shifted out of weeks 1-3 where more teams are available

Svsm home and home would have been cool. Two canada -out of state teams in a year still uncertain due to covid isn't ideal.

Shaker hts still available?

I don't get it either. To me Ignatius or eds or both should have been shifted out of weeks 1-3 where more teams are available

Svsm home and home would have been cool. Two canada -out of state teams in a year still uncertain due to covid isn't ideal.

Shaker hts still available?

Shaker is playing a team from Illinois now.

The only big NEO school that looks to still be open is Brush. I would be shocked if they schedule Mentor.

Some Cincy schools had openings in week 4 when I checked last month. I haven't checked recently. I know Mentor prefers not to travel that far, but if the only other option is out of state, something to consider.

Some Cincy schools had openings in week 4 when I checked last month. I haven't checked recently. I know Mentor prefers not to travel that far, but if the only other option is out of state, something to consider.
I'd think theyd get an out of state team to come to Mentor and pay them to do so if possible

I have been saying Ignatius and eds (or at least one) should have been put in weeks 4 and 5 from the start. There's a lot more teams to schedule in weeks 1-3 vs 4 and 5. I don't know why neither was moved a long time ago.

Shame one of the akron schools wasn't scheduled in week 4 , but it would be ridiculous for Mentor to have to play Ignatius eds and hoban in the same year . No public school in the state has to do that.

Team canada and out of state team as 2 of the 5 isn't ideal at all. Only positive would be 2 more home games but you don't get much out of those type of matchups

I was disappointed to see SVSM fill their open week 4 date with a Canadian team, especially with Ellet and Mentor (as well as other local schools) still having that week open. I guess the idea in my head now would be if the Canadians cannot cross the border in September, i would be calling Mentor. The thought of a home and home with Mentor is very enticing. Our "home" game would probably have to be scheduled for InfoCision Stadium as Green Street's absolute maximum capacity is 3200.

I was disappointed to see SVSM fill their open week 4 date with a Canadian team, especially with Ellet and Mentor (as well as other local schools) still having that week open. I guess the idea in my head now would be if the Canadians cannot cross the border in September, i would be calling Mentor. The thought of a home and home with Mentor is very enticing. Our "home" game would probably have to be scheduled for InfoCision Stadium as Green Street's absolute maximum capacity is 3200.
Maybe in the future. Give your AD the idea.

The problem for this year would be that only works if Mentor schedules a team canada in week 4 or an out of state team that cant make it

As of now, our one canada team is week 5 instead of 4

They should reach out to Erie McDowell or Erie Prep. Easy ride across I-90. And I would say Mentor would be a slight favorite, but not a sure win by any means. And a good amount of Harbin points.

They should reach out to Erie McDowell or Erie Prep. Easy ride across I-90. And I would say Mentor would be a slight favorite, but not a sure win by any means. And a good amount of Harbin points.

I would be good with either of those. Pennsylvania is the most likely place Mentor will look. I wouldn’t trust Illinois, who I believe cancelled their football season in 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.