Mentor Cardinals Football 2019

It feels like it's Mentor's year. How much heartbreak can one school take??.. No matter what Mentor fans should be happy with all that has happened so far - 10-0, beat Ed's and Ignatius, an AP title, ranked nationally etc. With the added bonus of the kids wanting to win one for their coach as he goes out the table is set. Now all they have to do is win 5 straight in tough weather, stiff competition, staying healthy and whatever.

Since 2011, there have been six times that the loser of the regular season game went on to win the playoff rematch. Ignatius over Mentor in 2011, Mentor over Ignatius in 2012, 2013, 2017, St Eds over Ignatius/Mentor in 2018.

My biggest concern in a rematch with St Eds is not that Mentor won the first time. Let's say Kipp doesn't score with a couple minutes left. Mentor loses that game 28-23. Would they really be much better off by NOT winning? My bigger concern in a rematch is the improvement of the St Eds defense, the addition of their two best receivers, the seeming lack of improvement in Mentor's offense (steady, but not improved), and the fact that Mentor has faced no adversity since Week 2...and they probably won't face any adversity the next two games. Not to mention that St Eds has an edge in coaching, namely because of the defensive coaching. Obviously, Mentor's offensive coaching is solid. But even they were ill prepared offensively for the rematch a year ago. They need to have something up their sleeves for the best defense in Ohio. Because unlike in the Trubisky years, this offense is not going to just bail the team out.

Since 2011, there have been six times that the loser of the regular season game went on to win the playoff rematch. Ignatius over Mentor in 2011, Mentor over Ignatius in 2012, 2013, 2017, St Eds over Ignatius/Mentor in 2018.

My biggest concern in a rematch with St Eds is not that Mentor won the first time. Let's say Kipp doesn't score with a couple minutes left. Mentor loses that game 28-23. Would they really be much better off by NOT winning? My bigger concern in a rematch is the improvement of the St Eds defense, the addition of their two best receivers, the seeming lack of improvement in Mentor's offense (steady, but not improved), and the fact that Mentor has faced no adversity since Week 2...and they probably won't face any adversity the next two games. Not to mention that St Eds has an edge in coaching, namely because of the defensive coaching. Obviously, Mentor's offensive coaching is solid. But even they were ill prepared offensively for the rematch a year ago. They need to have something up their sleeves for the best defense in Ohio. Because unlike in the Trubisky years, this offense is not going to just bail the team out.

Its fair to say Eds has improved. Under Lombardo the formula has been to get better each week in the regular season then try to make a run in week 11 and beyond. This year is no exception. In any event, Mentor has likely also improved. They may not have been challenged much, but Mentor kids seem to know big games. Unlike all the other local publics, they've consistently played Eds and Ignatius and have often come out on top. I guess what I'm saying is Mentor won't be surprised or intimidated by St Eds. If there is a rematch, and that's still a big if, it will be a great matchup between two excellent programs. Mentor is a great program and a model for all other publics to emulate.

Mentor is a similar three-headed RPO monster that the 2018 Eagles were...play makers at QB, RB, and WR. In a tight contest, they also have the place kicking weapon to win a game with a moderate to long field goal. Should the Cardinals and Eagles earn the right to play again in week 13, it will be fun to watch.

Go Eagles!

Omg Twinsburg lmao get there early.

Really? Weren’t you the one mocking McKinley’s crowd at a home playoff game? They aren’t going to bring many fans 45 minutes north to watch them get waxed by Mentor. I do expect the home side to be pretty full as long as it is a dry night. I would rather watch the game near capacity than a stadium 1/3 full like last years game at Brunswick.

I do remember the parking situation at Twinsburg being bad though.

In the last eight games of the season (half of them were against playoff teams), Mentor has given up a total of 49 points. Three of those seven TD's were defensive or special teams scores. Only four TD's allowed in the last games, and I believe all but one of them were scored against the backups during the 4th quarter. A new challenge this week against Canton McKinley.

McKinley might be one of the better offenses Mentor has played since Week 2. Five times during the regular season, McKinley scored 40+ points. But for the most part, the better teams on their schedule held the Pups to 14-28 points. I would be surprised if McKinley scores more than 14 this week.

Mentor's only game at Twinsburg (that I remember) left a sour taste in our mouths. It was 2011 and Mentor was 9-0 and #1 in the AP poll heading into Week 10 against Twisnburg. The Tigers, not even a playoff team, upset Mentor 38-35 and spoiled a perfect regular season. Last season these two teams played in a cold, windy, and snowy night at Brunswick. Both offenses were stalled at times in part due to the weather, but Mentor won pretty comfortably: 36-6. I would expect a similar type score this week.

This defense might be the reason for Mentor finally getting over the championship hump. It is their best defensive backfield in years. They don't have any players as dominant as Noah Potter was last year, they are just solid across the board. Standout freshman DE Brenan Vernon has already received scholarship offers from Indiana and Duke.

Congrats to Coach Triv and all of the players that received All-District recognition. QB Ian Kipp was Offensive POY for Division I. I am slightly surprised they didn't go with Trobel if they were going to select a Mentor player.

1st Team: Ian Kipp, Brian Trobel, Luke Floriea, Hunter Colao, Chris Hatcher, Jackson Paglio, and Marco Toth
2nd Team: Byron Floyd, Andrew Smith, Kyle Bischoff, Justin Satterfield, Nyzier Fourqurean, Devin Harper
Honorable Mention: Justin Luke, Greg Perdina, Brenan Vernon