Mentor Cardinals Football 2019

Coach Triv goes for career win No. 199 this week as Mentor hosts a team from Canada for the first time I can remember...probably the first time ever.

Back in July, I did a little preview on Clarkson Football North. They are essentially a prep football academy in Ontario that seeks to attract a lot of the best football players up North that are looking to play American football style in college. Now that their sister school (St Joe's Football North) recently and unexpectedly shut down their football program (possibly the school too??), I wonder how many of those guys just transferred over to Clarkson Football North. The two Canadian teams were supposed to meet this past weekend, but that didn't happen. Clarkson had been the far superior team, but if some of the kids jumped ship it could only help their depth.

Due to their crazy schedule, I don't expect Football North to win more than two games this year. They are 1-1 right now and only have an 8 game schedule per Joe Eitel. This is not going to be a glorious harbin victory compared to having Glenville in this slot a season ago. Lorain is Football North's best remaining shot. They certainly have some individual talent, but they will have a hard time competing with the depth of programs like Mentor, St Ignatius, St Edward, and the GCL. Football North has some big boys on the line and an experienced QB committed to an FCS school. It is hard to know what exactly to expect. If Mentor has a letdown week after the highs of the last two wins, they could find themselves in a game for a bit.

If Mentor brings their A game, I have to believe this should be a very comfortable win.

Have seen them for a couple years. Better than West Toronto Prep by far, but honestly wont be competition. Best comparison might be a non glenville Senate school possibly.

Have seen them for a couple years. Better than West Toronto Prep by far, but honestly wont be competition. Best comparison might be a non glenville Senate school possibly.

You’ve seen them and I haven’t - so who am I to judge? But that statement seems ridiculous to me. Never in a million years would Rhodes, JFK, or East Tech beat Cathedral Prep or even Lorain as Football North did last year. Those teams can’t even beat Brooklyn or Parma. Never would any of the non-Glenville Senate teams have the talent, depth, discipline, or coaching that I expect Football North to have.

I know that Ignatius whopped on them more than any team in Ohio last year. So obviously you’re basing a lot of your opinion on that. Football North didn’t exactly get run off the field last year against Elder, Moeller, or St X. They lost those three games by an average of 13.3 points per game. The final scores were probably closer than the game felt I am sure. But imagine if John Marshall or Collinwood played the GCL? Come on, that’s a ridiculous comparison.

You’ve seen them and I haven’t - so who am I to judge? But that statement seems ridiculous to me. Never in a million years would Rhodes, JFK, or East Tech beat Cathedral Prep or even Lorain as Football North did last year. Those teams can’t even beat Brooklyn or Parma. Never would any of the non-Glenville Senate teams have the talent, depth, discipline, or coaching that I expect Football North to have.

I know that Ignatius whopped on them more than any team in Ohio last year. So obviously you’re basing a lot of your opinion on that. Football North didn’t exactly get run off the field last year against Elder, Moeller, or St X. They lost those three games by an average of 13.3 points per game. The final scores were probably closer than the game felt I am sure. But imagine if John Marshall or Collinwood played the GCL? Come on, that’s a ridiculous comparison.

Based off of more than just 1 year. It is an opinion. Everyone entitled to one. Bottom line, the clock will run.

Here is a list of some of the college talent on Football North's roster:

QB Quincy Vaughn (6'4, 225, Team MVP from 2018): committed to Old Dominion
DB Mick Malcom-Bell (6'1, 175): offers from Minnesota and Kent
DB Peter Kemeni (6'1, 185): committed to Ohio U
OL Justin Stevens (6'6, 285): offers from several MAC schools
DE Reignings Awah (6'4, 235): committed to Kent
LB Cade Cote (6'4, 215): FCS offers

They have several others on the team headed to some level of post-HS football. Many will probably stay in Canada. Some might find their way into FCS or DII offers in the states.

Football North's last game was August 23 at Erie Cathedral Prep, the winners of the last three state titles in Class 4A. Prep won the game 53-34. QB Quincy Vaughn was 20-28 for 271 yards. Prep hosts St Eds this week. Prep is a great program, but offensively they are no better than Mentor. If they can put up 50+ on Football North, Mentor should be able to name their score on offense - as long as they take care of the football. Defensively, it would be nice to see Mentor really shine this week.

Also in 2018 Football North came to Erie and upset Cathedral Prep.

Last edited:
Based off of more than just 1 year. It is an opinion. Everyone entitled to one. Bottom line, the clock will run.

That’s true, we’re all entitled to opinions. I gave lots of support for my opinion on why that comparison is ridiculous. Care to expand how they remind you of Rhodes, East Tech, JFK, etc? It’s not talent. It’s probably not discipline. I’m curious.

One thing I do agree with is that if Mentor plays well, it should be a comfortable win. They have more college football players on their roster, but they can’t compete with the rest of what a program like Mentor has to offer.

Mentor ranked #1 in Ohio and #15 in the country per MaxPreps...

Mentor's game against visiting Football North has been moved to a 6:30 p.m. kickoff at The JTO on Sept. 13 to beat the forecasted storms coming into the area.

In one half of football (and now the final score due to storms), Mentor beats Football North (Canada) by a score of 28-15.

Let down game? Yeah, there was some of that...especially on defense. Mentor had a pretty dull game. Maybe in the second half they would have looked a lot better. Maybe not. Football North was much better than the likes of East Tech (who got crushed by DVII Newbury last night), Rhodes, JFK, etc. They have some talent, but not much depth. The QB wasn't perfect with his throws, but he has a strong arm. Mentor's defense made Football North look better than they are, but this is a team you can't dismiss. Their lines were pretty big and played pretty decent. Mentor had way too much trouble tackling their bowling ball of a running back.

Not much Mentor could take away from one half of football against these guys. It didn't help that Trobel missed the 2nd quarter. Mentor's offense had the ball five times. Three touchdowns (one score was a pick six), one missed FG, and then their final drive of the half stalled out as the half expired. Offense wasn't super sharp, but they did fine all things considered. The defense forced two interceptions, but simply gave up too many yards.

In one half of football (and now the final score due to storms), Mentor beats Football North (Canada) by a score of 28-15.

Let down game? Yeah, there was some of that...especially on defense. Mentor had a pretty dull game. Maybe in the second half they would have looked a lot better. Maybe not. Football North was much better than the likes of East Tech (who got crushed by DVII Newbury last night), Rhodes, JFK, etc. They have some talent, but not much depth. The QB wasn't perfect with his throws, but he has a strong arm. Mentor's defense made Football North look better than they are, but this is a team you can't dismiss. Their lines were pretty big and played pretty decent. Mentor had way too much trouble tackling their bowling ball of a running back.

Not much Mentor could take away from one half of football against these guys. It didn't help that Trobel missed the 2nd quarter. Mentor's offense had the ball five times. Three touchdowns (one score was a pick six), one missed FG, and then their final drive of the half stalled out as the half expired. Offense wasn't super sharp, but they did fine all things considered. The defense forced two interceptions, but simply gave up too many yards.

Football North isn't a bad program at all. Definitely not what you think of when you hear about Canadian football teams. They play all American teams (quite a few in Ohio) and I'm sure that their kids continually get better. Props to Mentor on getting the victory!

Kipp had his biggest passing game so far with 169 passing yards in just a half. He ran for three scores as well. Mentor surrendered 170 yards to Football North in a half. Not their best. The article says Football North has 7 DI recruits (likely including FCS). They have some talent for sure. I think they will beat Lorain, but I would be very surprised if they beat Ignatius, Eds, or the GCL teams on their schedule.

The team had already planned to drive back to Canada through the night, so any delay was impossible. Too bad for both teams that they didn't get to finish.

For the first time since 2011 (I think), Mentor is ranked No. 1 in the AP poll. That opportunity at a perfect regular season was spoiled in Week 10 at Twinsburg in probably the most shocking loss in the Triv era. The Week 10 loss to Elyria in 2015 and even the 2007 loss at Euclid are right up there too. But as good as Mentor played that season, I couldn't believe it all ended in Week 10. Twinsburg was really, really good that night though.

Mentor hasn't had an undefeated regular season since 2003. After they opened last year with two wins over Eds/Ignatius, I felt pretty confident it was going to happen. An injury to Kipp put a dent in those hopes as Solon upset Mentor in overtime in Week 8. I think the GCC is much deeper than last year. But I don't think the #2 and #3 teams are as good as they were last year. I also am not convinced (yet) that the 2019 Mentor team is better than 2018 though. Should be interesting. In my eyes, the biggest threat to 10-0 is against Euclid.

Mentor is ranked #24 in the USA Today Super 25.

Dropped 2 spots this week to #17 in the MaxPreps Xcellent 25 National rankings. At #11 in the MaxPreps Freeman computer rankings.

Coaches, players, parents, and fans all will trade in any of those rankings for a state championship. But in the meanwhile, I'm sure they appreciate the recognition. Mentor has never won a state title on the field. They have never been the AP champs either. If they go 10-0, they will get the AP recognition...which is at least something. But hopefully the coaches and team continue to be focused on their ultimate goal. It will be very difficult to get out of the region, let alone win a state championship. St Edward and St Ignatius will be incredibly difficult to beat in Round 2. Fingers crossed that those two end up on the same side of the bracket like last year.

Interesting. From the tone of Twitter it sounds like it was his choice. Kind of surprised as bc is a solid offer. None of our other smaller slot receivers got d1 looks like that

Here we are at the halfway point of the season. Mentor is 5-0. The first two games were come back wins against Eds and Ignatius. The last two were blowouts over inferior league opponents. In the middle was a half game against Football North (Canada). Mentor being undefeated is maybe only slightly surprising. I for one thought they would split the first two and finish the season 9-1. We knew the defense was going to start a little slowly. We knew the offense had as much returning firepower as any team under Triv, but the offensive line was pretty green.

This might come off as a criticism, but it is just an observation. I find it interesting that Mentor's success the past two seasons is not hinged on a QB putting up gaudy video game numbers like we have seen before. Abbott, Tanski, Trubisky, and Krizancic had super prolific passing seasons in 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, and 2013. Tatarunas threw for nearly 3,000 yards as a sophomore and well over 3,000 (in 15 games) as a senior. As much as Mentor relied on those previous QB's for success, Kipp is also incredibly important to this team. But unlike those other teams that needed a QB to throw for 350 yards and 4 TD's in a tight game, Mentor hasn't needed Kipp to do that to beat St Ignatius or St Edward. Last year he threw for 1,427 yards and 12 TD's in a season where he missed three games due to injury. And yet the team was about as good as any in the Triv era. Even in a disappointing non-playoff year in 2016, Tatarunas far exceeded Kipp's sophomore year as he threw for 2,300 yards and 23 TD's.

This year, they are No. 1 in Ohio and began the season with a bang. Kipp's passing numbers don't jump off the page compared to other Mentor QB's: 774 yards, 8 TD's, and right around 50% passing, He has one receiver that is a dynamic DI recruit (Floriea) and some other nice receivers too. Certainly not the kind of weapons that Trubisky had (Fritts, Krizancic, Plavcan, Daughtery). But still, a good group of receivers. Disclaimer: Kipp has only played one half of football in his last three games. But the offense was met with little resistance the past two weeks.

Also it is interesting to point out that at this stage in his career, no Mentor QB (not even Trubisky) was more highly recruited than Kipp.

Good point on Mentor this year. Offense is still very good but it's more versatile than some years in the past. A good mix of the run and pass which could prove valuable in the playoffs. Hopefully the defense continues to improve and we can actually stay healthy this season going forward. Already lost a few guys for the year early on and have been snakebitten by this many of times

Big game on the road this week at Solon. Hope the kids are motivated after losing in ot last year without kipp

5 more wins and they go 10-0 and get a media paper title. Doesn't mean much but would still be good for triv to get 10-0 in his last year

Solon's game notes for this week's game. They always do a really nice job with this. Mentor's game notes are pretty good too, but not quite at this level of detail. And Mentor's isn't free and available ahead of time either.

If you just looked at the stats of the two junior QB's, one would think Solon has the advantage. McQuaide's number (973 yards passing, 68% completion, 11 TD's, just one INT) are far better than Kipp's. I'm curious to see how much better McQuaide looks this year. After his experiences and opportunities, his junior season should be a "show me what you got" kind of season. I'm happy with Kipp though.

If these two teams play at the level they have in the first five games, this will be a blowout. Solon got crushed by Stow. Gave up 45 to a Hudson team that is 2-3. Mentor made Medina, a probable 2019 playoff team that has beaten Solon the past two years, look like a JV team. Throw in the additional adrenaline and motivating of avenging last season's game. As long as Mentor's defense is steady as it has been for the most part, this could be the biggest blowout in the series in quite since 2006. Solon played Mentor incredibly tight in a regular season loss (17-14), but the rails fell off during the season as the Comets would lose three of their last four including a 45-0 loss to Mentor in Week 11.

Solon has won three of the last four, so Mentor can't take them lightly. In Triv's final season against Solon, a team Triv has coached against more than any other, he holds onto a narrow 13-12 lead. Solon leads the regular season series 12-9, but Mentor has won all four playoff rematches (2002, 2006, 2007, 2011). The two could meet a final time in Week 11, but you never know.

I remember the days of Mentor/Solon threads on Yappi. Fun banter and predictions back and forth between the posters. I miss Hurri-Comet (RIP) and Metacomet (MIA). Not to mention the other Solon posters that used to make for a fun Comet presence on the boards.

Last edited:
Solon's game notes for this week's game. They always do a really nice job with this. Mentor's game notes are pretty good too, but not quite at this level of detail. And Mentor's isn't free and available ahead of time either.

If you just looked at the stats of the two junior QB's, one would think Solon has the advantage. McQuaide's number (973 yards passing, 68% completion, 11 TD's, just one INT) are far better than Kipp's. I'm curious to see how much better McQuaide looks this year. After his experiences and opportunities, his junior season should be a "show me what you got" kind of season. I'm happy with Kipp though.

If these two teams play at the level they have in the first five games, this will be a blowout. Stow got crushed by Hudson. Gave up 45 to a Hudson team that is 2-3. Mentor made Medina, a probable 2019 playoff team that has beaten Solon the past two years, look like a JV team. Throw in the additional adrenaline and motivating of avenging last season's game. As long as Mentor's defense is steady as it has been for the most part, this could be the biggest blowout in the series in quite since 2006. Solon played Mentor incredibly tight in a regular season loss (17-14), but the rails fell off during the season as the Comets would lose three of their last four including a 45-0 loss to Mentor in Week 11.

Solon has won three of the last four, so Mentor can't take them lightly. In Triv's final season against Solon, a team Triv has coached against more than any other, he holds onto a narrow 13-12 lead. Solon leads the regular season series 12-9, but Mentor has won all four playoff rematches (2002, 2006, 2007, 2011). The two could meet a final time in Week 11, but you never know.

I remember the days of Mentor/Solon threads on Yappi. Fun banter and predictions back and forth between the posters. I miss Hurri-Comet (RIP) and Metacomet (MIA). Not to mention the other Solon posters that used to make for a fun Comet presence on the boards.

Not sure what you are tripping on, but I want some! Stow has not played Hudson, and has not been "crushed" by anyone....lost one game to 2-3 Brecksville in overtime by a touchdown while missing 5 starters on the defensive side of the ball. (still out) Have "crushed" Barberton and Solon, and 3-1 North Royalton this past Friday. I think the injuries are going to keep them from going 9-1, but not seeing them get crushed by anyone in the regular season. Regardless, try to think....and actually know what you are talking about before posting. Thanks! ;)

Not sure what you are tripping on, but I want some! Stow has not played Hudson, and has not been "crushed" by anyone....lost one game to 2-3 Brecksville in overtime by a touchdown while missing 5 starters on the defensive side of the ball. (still out) Have "crushed" Barberton and Solon, and 3-1 North Royalton this past Friday. I think the injuries are going to keep them from going 9-1, but not seeing them get crushed by anyone in the regular season. Regardless, try to think....and actually know what you are talking about before posting. Thanks! ;)
He does know what he was talking about. Just typo stuff. He meant to say Solon got crushed by stow and also gave up a lot of points to 2-3 Hudson Just one mistake. Meant to say Solon got crushed by stow which is why it's a Solon breakdown since we play them

It happens. Now run along

Wow...I made a mistake. It should be pretty clear to anyone reading that the entire selection is about Mentor and Solon. Freudian slip or something and typed Stow by mistake. Relax there, Stow dude.

Mentor/Solon series (since 2000 per Joe Eitel). I don't have the late 90's scores, but Solon won both of those.

2000: Solon 49 Mentor 7
2001: Solon 31 Mentor 0
2002: Solon 21 Mentor 3
2002: Mentor 24 Solon 17 2OT (playoffs)
2003: Mentor 45 Solon 7
2004: Solon 30 Mentor 23
2005: Solon 34 Mentor 17
2006: Mentor 17 Solon 14
2006: Mentor 45 Solon 0 (playoffs)
2007: Mentor 27 Solon 0
2007: Mentor 23 Solon 13 (playoffs)
2008: Mentor 26 Solon 24
2009: Solon 21 Mentor 17
2010: Solon 31 Mentor 21
2011: Mentor 44 Solon 20
2011: Mentor 42 Solon 40 (playoffs)
2012: Mentor 56 Solon 28
2013: Mentor 35 Solon 0
2014: Mentor 42 Solon 16
2015: Solon 42 Mentor 35
2016: Solon 37 Mentor 8
2017: Mentor 38 Solon 34
2018: Solon 29 Mentor 28 OT

Solon's best teams in Triv era: 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2016
Mentor's best team in Triv era: 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2017, 2018

It is interesting that these teams have rarely both had very good teams in the same season. 2002 is the really the only time I could confidently say both teams were top ten in Ohio. Outside of that, it hasn't really happened. 2011 was as close as it got. Mentor was really good that year and Solon wasn't too shabby themselves. They put a big scare into Trubisky and company in the playoff game.

According to Solon's game notes, QB Pat McQuaide didn't play at all against Shaker. His replacement has a very efficient day (10-13, 183 yards, 1 TD)...but I have to imagine Solon would be at an even greater disadvantage if McQuaide is out. His numbers (973 yards passing, 68% completion, 12 TD's, 1 INT) are even more impressive considering he did this in four games, not five. His dad, Coach Jim McQuaide, said that Pat is "week to week."