Mentor Cardinals Football 2019

Maybe Triv. after he retires could do seminars with public school football programs on how to beat the privates.He has a recipe for sure.The kryptonite to the Eagles and Wildcats.

First of all, he plays them and doesn't avoid. Secondly, he has established a feeder program in which he can identify talented players at an early age and have them grow up in his system. Thirdly, he makes his players believe that he can beat anyone, instead of whining about the unfairness of the situation. And then, he's just one excellent coach, who has assembled a very good staff, especially on offense. No mystery here.

Cardz is right on this. Most schools won't schedule us unless they are privates in Ohio out of conference. We've tried for years. That's why we are playing eds Ignatius and team Canada now

Berea in week 8 next season is a marriage of convenience. Shaker left the GCC and Lakewood left the SWC. Still props to Berea for stepping up. It's always been Mentor policy to play home and homes no matter where the team is from. Next year is at Mentor. I hope Berea agreed to a 2 year one so we can go there in 2021

I'd expect team Canada in week 1 or a smaller private along the lines of Hoban , Benny , Erie cathedral prep etc. Hope I'm wrong and other publics finally agree to home and home contracts. If Eds and Ignatius can come to Mentor then any public would have to be fair and play at both too. That's our policy

Great to see teams stepping up to play Mentor. Would love to see a home/away with Hoban if scheduling worked out. St. Ignatius was playing them in Week 1 in the past. If they would go back to that schedule, Mentor could take them on in Week 3.

Mentor should be unveiling their new all-silver Nike Jumpman uniforms for the St. Ignatius game. Only a handful of college teams have them, let alone high school. Nice for the players.

Mentor should be unveiling their new all-silver Nike Jumpman uniforms for the St. Ignatius game. Only a handful of college teams have them, let alone high school. Nice for the players.

Do they have red and white variations of this too ?

I'd hate to be all silver instead of having the red which is our primary color

I like them. Pretty slick. I agree that I would like to see some variety with red jersey/silver pants and/or white mixed in as well.

I would guess St Ignatius will be wearing their blue jersey/gold pants this week as I don't think you can have gray vs white, right?

Attachments

• ECqp8GBXsAANrJv.jpg
    ECqp8GBXsAANrJv.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 33
I like them. Pretty slick. I agree that I would like to see some variety with red jersey/silver pants and/or white mixed in as well.

I would guess St Ignatius will be wearing their blue jersey/gold pants this week as I don't think you can have gray vs white, right?

I think Ignatius white with gold helmets and pants is enough of a contrast. I believe two years ago Mentor had Under Armour all-silver and the visitors wore white.

Kipp is the only Mentor QB in recent memory that actually missed games due to injury. I know in 2013 that Krizancic played WR in Week 1 after a few series because of a hurt throwing arm from overuse. Is Floreia still the backup? After the St. Ignatius game, will Spansel get more carries to lighten the load for Trobel?

Kipp is the only Mentor QB in recent memory that actually missed games due to injury. I know in 2013 that Krizancic played WR in Week 1 after a few series because of a hurt throwing arm from overuse. Is Floreia still the backup? After the St. Ignatius game, will Spansel get more carries to lighten the load for Trobel?
Spansel and his family moved to California. Riley Coughlin is the backup

Floreia was working as the backup but another younger player also got reps preseason

Yes, Mentor has been fortunate overall with that position. Conner got a slow start at QB due to some physical limitation/soreness in 2013. Before that, you have to go back to 2005 when Tanski dealt with some injuries if I remember right. Like pretty much every other good team in Ohio, Mentor couldn't afford to have their starting QB go down this year.

I'm sure that Floriea would take over at QB if Kipp was hurt. I think the other options would be Jr Hutch Baird or whoever is the JV QB.

I heard the refs bailed Triv out as he tried to blow it late. What happened?

If there is going to be a complaint, it would be on the late holding call on an Ignatius pass with 12 seconds left. Maybe there are some complaints about another incomplete pass that was ruled out of bounds. If I remember right, the holding play got Ignatius down to around the 8 or 10 yard line. They were out of timeouts, so probably would've had two cracks at the end zone. I would have to look at the video of the play again to give a super confident opinion. It appeared to me that the right tackle was a bit handsy on Mentor's freshman defensive end on the play as he was chasing Hanna. But things are happening so fast and so much is going on. I'm sure if it was reversed, I would've been biased and yelled for a homer job.

It was a shame it got that close. Ignatius had essentially 80 yards to go with under a minute left, no timeouts, and no signs of a vertical game all night. A simple screen pass to Cmiel turned into a 50 or so yard run after the catch. Cmiel was the only guy you had to worry about on the field. How he was able to turn a simple screen pass into that kind of yardage was inexcusable. Thankfully, Mentor held on.

Hanna overthrew a receiver in the end zone on an earlier play. Ignatius had their chances. Mentor's offense executed much better in the 4th quarter. Plain and simple.

Much more than once, but you wont hear much of that here. The refs and Restifo both did their fair share to assist

We showed you picture proof in the game thread that your receiver was out of bounds on that late throw to the end zone

And it was a blatant hold on our freshman Vernon up the middle on the last drive too. I actually think two Mentor players were held on that play but Vernon was about to crush your QB without that blatant hold

Both calls were correct. It's just sour grapes from blowing the 2 td lead

We showed you picture proof in the game thread that your receiver was out of bounds on that late throw to the end zone

And it was a blatant hold on our freshman Vernon up the middle on the last drive too. I actually think two Mentor players were held on that play but Vernon was about to crush your QB without that blatant hold

Both calls were correct. It's just sour grapes from blowing the 2 td lead

Nevermind the at least half dozen holds that were not called on Mentor. How about the personal foul on Ignatius when a mentor player was basically sitting on a player for extended duration after a play?

I get it, you wont agree. I wouldnt expect you too. It was more than 2 plays and anyone there saw it. Ignatius should have been able to overcome it though if we had a play caller with a pulse. Dont have that luxury any longer, and dont have enough threats on offense.

You guys have had a good start and should rightfully be the R1 fav.

Trobel may be the best RB we see all year.

Nevermind the at least half dozen holds that were not called on Mentor. How about the personal foul on Ignatius when a mentor player was basically sitting on a player for extended duration after a play?

I get it, you wont agree. I wouldnt expect you too. It was more than 2 plays and anyone there saw it. Ignatius should have been able to overcome it though if we had a play caller with a pulse. Dont have that luxury any longer, and dont have enough threats on offense.

You guys have had a good start and should rightfully be the R1 fav.

Trobel may be the best RB we see all year.

Ignatius and Eds can't ever talk about no calls. You guys have had many cheap shots that haven't been called over the years. And likewise plenty of holds that haven't been called too

Ignatius had 2 personal fouls that I remember last night. Both were your guys losing their composure. We can relate as Mentor has had hotheads too. But that's on your team and not the refs

You're damn right I won't agree because it's sour grapes. If one of us blamed the refs after a Mentor loss you guys would be teaming up to say the same thing. It's weak. Your team blew the lead and Mentor played up to force them to blow it. That's the bottom line

Sure Mentor is the favorite now. They won both games so that much is obvious. But I've said this and saw Triv say it too in the News Herald article .....we have to continue to improve and stay healthy. Last year Mentor regressed as the regular season went on and some of our key players got banged up

Over the last decade, the Mentor teams that peak later in the season are more dangerous to St. Ignatius and St. Edward than the ones that peak early. When we play Mentor in week 2, win or lose, if we see them again neither team will be the same come November. Time will tell, but the kids in Mentor have a ton to play for this year and extra motivation to win for Triv. They are the clear favorite in Region 1 right now and will probably finish 10-0. Getting out of the region will not be easy though. If they can get out of it, I think they have a great shot at their first championship.

Over the last decade, the Mentor teams that peak later in the season are more dangerous to St. Ignatius and St. Edward than the ones that peak early. When we play Mentor in week 2, win or lose, if we see them again neither team will be the same come November. Time will tell, but the kids in Mentor have a ton to play for this year and extra motivation to win for Triv. They are the clear favorite in Region 1 right now and will probably finish 10-0. Getting out of the region will not be easy though. If they can get out of it, I think they have a great shot at their first championship.

Well good news for us then because this isn't the peak. Mentor can play much better than they did in both weeks 1 and 2 when they still came out with wins

Sure they may face both eds and Ignatius. They may also face only one or neither of them. It's a crapshoot and it's also 9 weeks away from being determined at the minimum.

For now I'll take the wins over the hypotheticals any day of the week

Looking back, Mentor did peak early last season. Those wins over St Eds and St Ignatius were rarely ever in doubt. Mentor was unstoppable running the ball in Week 1 and had one of their most complete wins in recent memory during Week 2 at Ignatius. For a variety of reasons, they just didn't continue to improve in the way that St Eds or even St Ignatius did. I felt very good about the wins last year at the time. Mentor looked like a complete, state championship-caliber team.

Yesterday's win was hardly smooth. It came with a lot of frustrations, mainly on special teams. I honestly believe you could throw a team like Rocky River or Willoughby South on special teams yesterday and they would've looked better than Mentor did. I know Connor Cmiel is good...but that was ridiculous. I'm not sure what Mentor will do to improve, but I know there is a lot of room for improvement on special teams. Offensively, the passing game has potential to really grow. Right now, Kipp is not making teams too nervous with his arm. Hopefully, that will change by November.

Defensively, they are pretty new at some key positions like defensive end and corner. Historically, Mentor is not a defensive juggernaut. But they have shown some flashes of solid play against Ignatius and Eds when they needed to most. The defense closed the game out extremely well the past two weeks as they gave the offense every opportunity to win.

Triv is now 11-9 against St Ignatius and 6-5 against St Edward. For the FIFTH time, he has beaten those two in consecutive weeks. In the last 7 games against the Saints, Mentor is 6-1. Last night was a cool celebration honoring the achievements of Triv. Glad the boys could finish the game for him. You can tell yesterday's game meant a lot.

Agreed on both posts. This team has lots of room for improvement as the year goes on. Just can't regress like they did last year

And having a winning record vs Ignatius and Eds combined with that many games played may never happen for a public school coach ever again. It is remarkable

Coach Triv goes for career win No. 199 this week as Mentor hosts a team from Canada for the first time I can remember...probably the first time ever.

Back in July, I did a little preview on Clarkson Football North. They are essentially a prep football academy in Ontario that seeks to attract a lot of the best football players up North that are looking to play American football style in college. Now that their sister school (St Joe's Football North) recently and unexpectedly shut down their football program (possibly the school too??), I wonder how many of those guys just transferred over to Clarkson Football North. The two Canadian teams were supposed to meet this past weekend, but that didn't happen. Clarkson had been the far superior team, but if some of the kids jumped ship it could only help their depth.

Due to their crazy schedule, I don't expect Football North to win more than two games this year. They are 1-1 right now and only have an 8 game schedule per Joe Eitel. This is not going to be a glorious harbin victory compared to having Glenville in this slot a season ago. Lorain is Football North's best remaining shot. They certainly have some individual talent, but they will have a hard time competing with the depth of programs like Mentor, St Ignatius, St Edward, and the GCL. Football North has some big boys on the line and an experienced QB committed to an FCS school. It is hard to know what exactly to expect. If Mentor has a letdown week after the highs of the last two wins, they could find themselves in a game for a bit.

If Mentor brings their A game, I have to believe this should be a very comfortable win.

Do they have red and white variations of this too ?

I'd hate to be all silver instead of having the red which is our primary color
Their red and white uniforms are carryovers from last year. The new gray uniforms are the only Jumpman brand unis. Mentor was one of 8 high school teams that Nike selected to get them. Story from the News Herald...

Here is a list of some of the college talent on Football North's roster:

QB Quincy Vaughn (6'4, 225, Team MVP from 2018): committed to Old Dominion
DB Mick Malcom-Bell (6'1, 175): offers from Minnesota and Kent
DB Peter Kemeni (6'1, 185): committed to Ohio U
OL Justin Stevens (6'6, 285): offers from several MAC schools
DE Reignings Awah (6'4, 235): committed to Kent
LB Cade Cote (6'4, 215): FCS offers

They have several others on the team headed to some level of post-HS football. Many will probably stay in Canada. Some might find their way into FCS or DII offers in the states.

Football North's last game was August 23 at Erie Cathedral Prep, the winners of the last three state titles in Class 4A. Prep won the game 53-34. QB Quincy Vaughn was 20-28 for 271 yards. Prep hosts St Eds this week. Prep is a great program, but offensively they are no better than Mentor. If they can put up 50+ on Football North, Mentor should be able to name their score on offense - as long as they take care of the football. Defensively, it would be nice to see Mentor really shine this week.