Mentor Cardinals Football 2019

If Clarkson has that week open, I say book it. Before you know it, Clarkson will fill their schedule. The likelihood of an Ohio team scheduling Mentor is slim. The only Ohio teams that would consider Mentor are a few juggernauts. Plus it would be nice to have six home games if possible.

GlenOak is looking for a home opponent for week 1, but even if they would schedule Mentor, they don't seem to be agreeable to a 2021 away game for a 2 year contract. Mason is open to a 2020 Home/2021 Away contract, but I don't think Mentor wants to have to travel that far unless they have no other options.
I can't find anything concerning Clarkson's 2020 schedule and whether they have contracted with any other schools yet.

GlenOak is looking for a home opponent for week 1, but even if they would schedule Mentor, they don't seem to be agreeable to a 2021 away game for a 2 year contract. Mason is open to a 2020 Home/2021 Away contract, but I don't think Mentor wants to have to travel that far unless they have no other options.
I can't find anything concerning Clarkson's 2020 schedule and whether they have contracted with any other schools yet.

Glenoak has scheduled Medina for game one in 2020. Per the OHSAA website.

Cardz is right on this. Most schools won't schedule us unless they are privates in Ohio out of conference. We've tried for years. That's why we are playing eds Ignatius and team Canada now

Berea in week 8 next season is a marriage of convenience. Shaker left the GCC and Lakewood left the SWC. Still props to Berea for stepping up. It's always been Mentor policy to play home and homes no matter where the team is from. Next year is at Mentor. I hope Berea agreed to a 2 year one so we can go there in 2021

I'd expect team Canada in week 1 or a smaller private along the lines of Hoban , Benny , Erie cathedral prep etc. Hope I'm wrong and other publics finally agree to home and home contracts. If Eds and Ignatius can come to Mentor then any public would have to be fair and play at both too. That's our policy

Last edited:
Looking forward to Mentor v Ed's next week. My school plays hours away, so I'll be in Lakewood. Should be a great game.

I know, I know. Unfortunately none of the top playoff wins listed were in a state championship game. Sometimes it was a disappointing underachievement. Other times, Mentor didn't really stand a chance. But the way Mentor has played St Ignatius and St Edward over the years in the playoffs, it has been impressive.

It is very probable that either St Edward or St Ignatius would have won a combined 2-3 more state titles if not for Mentor. 2012 (either team), 2013 (St Edward), and 2017 (St Ignatius) were state championship-caliber squads that Mentor defeated. I think the 2012 St Ignatius and 2013 St Edward teams Mentor beat were the best wins in program history. Both of those teams were very, very good.

I'll never believe otherwise that Ignatius wouldn't have rolled to a state title victory had they won against Mentor in 2012.

It would have started with going for 2, but oh well. Mentor did and won the game.

It's going to be odd not seeing Triv on the sidelines for Mentor.

Btw, if history is an indicator, I hope Mentor wins week 2. It's so difficult to beat good teams twice in one season. (See the two week stretch of Ed's v Ignatius last season)

Based on what I saw in the Chardon scrimmage, here is roughly what we can expect for starters:

QB Ian Kipp (junior)
RB Brian Trobel (senior)
OL Hunter Colao (junior)
OL Tommy Shea (junior)
OL Stan Zalewski (junior)
OL Byron Floyd (senior)
OL Chris Hatcher (senior)
WR Luke Floriea (senior)
WR Justin Luke (senior)
WR Nolan Vernon (senior)
WR Hutch Baird (junior)

DE Brenan Vernon (freshman)
DT Preston Cardina (junior)
DE Greg Perdina (junior)
LB Jackson Paglio (senior)
LB Kyle Bischoff (senior)
LB Devin Harper (senior)
LB Justin Satterfield (senior)
DB Eric Martemus (junior)
DB Marco Toth (senior)
DB Nyzier Fourquean (senior)
DB Sonny Oddo (senior)

A couple guys I wonder about are Noah Gladish and Frank Schmidt. Both started on defense last year. I think Schmidt is injured. I didn't remember seeing Gladish's number in the scrimmage, but it is very possible I missed it.

I'll never believe otherwise that Ignatius wouldn't have rolled to a state title victory had they won against Mentor in 2012.

It would have started with going for 2, but oh well. Mentor did and won the game.

I agree. St Ignatius would have won it all that year. That offense was scary good. The defense was strong too.

I love what Triv has done for the program. But I will never believe that he "won" that 2012 game against Ignatius by going for two in the third OT. He gets praised for going for two in the third OT. I was screaming in the stands to go for two during the first overtime. We thought they learned their lesson from Hilliard Davidson in 2006. I was convinced that Ignatius would go for two (and win) if they scored in the second OT. So why give them the chance? Mentor's offense was rocking and rolling. Put the ball in Trubisky's hands to win rather than hope your defense (which gave up 56+ points in three straight playoff games) will make a stop. Triv got lucky. Kyle lost that one. Way too conservative on both of their parts. It isn't some gutsy move to go for two by third overtime. 99% of coaches would do the same if they had Trubisky, Fritts, Krizancic, etc.. The real guts comes when you go for two in the first overtime. If Triv is in a position like that in a big playoff game this year, I hope he goes for it all as soon as possible.

But hey, a win is a win.

On the other side of the coin, Mentor would have had a shot in 03 or 2011 after losing to Eds and Ignatius in the regional final. Especially 2011 where Mentors passing game was halted by one of the windiest games I've ever been at. Our punter actually had a punt go backwards because of the wind.

On the other side of the coin, Mentor would have had a shot in 03 or 2011 after losing to Eds and Ignatius in the regional final. Especially 2011 where Mentors passing game was halted by one of the windiest games I've ever been at. Our punter actually had a punt go backwards because of the wind.

Agreed. I never saw the 2003 Elder team or anything, but there was no way they would have steamrolled Mentor the way they did against St Eds. That defense could have gone toe to toe with any team. 2011 would have been interesting if Mentor had won. Whitmer in the semifinals, a team that gave Mentor's 2012 team a lot of trouble, would have not been a gimme. Whitmer was undefeated and outscored their Region 2 opponents 94-6 before St Ignatius shut down their offense. I can't say with full confidence that Mentor's defense would've been up to the task, but it was probably a 50/50 game. If Mentor got past Whitmer, I would have really liked their chances against Pickerington Central team. I watched the state final that year, as hard as it was. Mentor was a lot more talented.

Agree with both 2003 and 2011.

I went to a number of Mentor games in 2003 before they played Ignatius. I told everyone who would listen that the Cardinals were going to curb-stomp the Wildcats. Then it happened. I was shocked when they lost to Eds the following week.

2011 was a wind tunnel at Lakewood. Ignatius made a few big plays, including a huge 3rd down conversion backed up near their endzone, with Mentor gaining momentum.

2013 I knew Mentor would win that rematch.

2017 bothered me. Not going for it in 4th and 1 from mid field with that big offensive line. Mentor gets the punt, goes down the field for the winning FG.

Oh well.

Agree with both 2003 and 2011.

I went to a number of Mentor games in 2003 before they played Ignatius. I told everyone who would listen that the Cardinals were going to curb-stomp the Wildcats. Then it happened. I was shocked when they lost to Eds the following week.

2011 was a wind tunnel at Lakewood. Ignatius made a few big plays, including a huge 3rd down conversion backed up near their endzone, with Mentor gaining momentum.

2013 I knew Mentor would win that rematch.

2017 bothered me. Not going for it in 4th and 1 from mid field with that big offensive line. Mentor gets the punt, goes down the field for the winning FG.

Oh well.
Well 11 state titles will calm those nerves. Imagine all our close calls and never winning one. Id be content with just one knowing that I saw it

Based on what I saw in the Chardon scrimmage, here is roughly what we can expect for starters:

QB Ian Kipp (junior)
RB Brian Trobel (senior)
OL Hunter Colao (junior)
OL Tommy Shea (junior)
OL Stan Zalewski (junior)
OL Byron Floyd (senior)
OL Chris Hatcher (senior)
WR Luke Floriea (senior)
WR Justin Luke (senior)
WR Nolan Vernon (senior)
WR Hutch Baird (junior)

DE Brenan Vernon (freshman)
DT Preston Cardina (junior)
DE Greg Perdina (junior)
LB Jackson Paglio (senior)
LB Kyle Bischoff (senior)
LB Devin Harper (senior)
LB Justin Satterfield (senior)
DB Eric Martemus (junior)
DB Marco Toth (senior)
DB Nyzier Fourquean (senior)
DB Sonny Oddo (senior)

A couple guys I wonder about are Noah Gladish and Frank Schmidt. Both started on defense last year. I think Schmidt is injured. I didn't remember seeing Gladish's number in the scrimmage, but it is very possible I missed it.

Unfortunately for both Noah and Frank, their seasons are over. Noah tore his ACL in camp over the summer. Frank tore his ACL last season and became infected after surgery. His career is over. Really a tough break for a great kid and talented football player. Big losses. I expect Mentor to shock this week against Ed's. Really hard though to predict these early games.

Unfortunately for both Noah and Frank, their seasons are over. Noah tore his ACL in camp over the summer. Frank tore his ACL last season and became infected after surgery. His career is over. Really a tough break for a great kid and talented football player. Big losses. I expect Mentor to shock this week against Ed's. Really hard though to predict these early games.
Man terrible from both of them. You hate to see that for any high school player. Just pray they both get healthy beyond playing football.

I'm not confident in our coaches on defense no matter the personnel but that hurts

Please….from a Euclid fan.Blast the living fugg out of The two Multi county,Catholic recruiting machines.Both need to go away.It's a total farce reading the self love they lather on each other in their threads.WTF? they get talent from at least 4 counties. Mentor 29 Ed's 28.One down and one to go.Loving this!

Always good to beat one of the saints. Especially when not playing near our best game
Enjoyed it thoroughly. Now the players can feel good for another day or so and then gotta prepare for the next one

I'm sure Triv and all his coaches will be watching the live streaming of the Ignatius-Loyola game tommorrow afertoon. Of course, all Mentor fans are invited to watch. Just type SIBN and see where that takes you.

The win over St Eds does a lot of good. One of those is easing a lot of the pressure off the Ignatius game. Of course, you still want to win Week 2 and be in position to give Triv a possible 10-0 season in his swan song. But...losing to Ignatius doesn’t mean the end of the world now. Starting off 0-2 would’ve been tough.

I think Eds is the favorite in all of their remaining games. They very easily could finish 9-1, which means lots of computer points. Anything worse than 8-2 would surprise me.

Losing stinks. Wish Mentor well the rest of way, though.

Losing for anyone is never fun. But it's only week 1 . I was very impressed with both teams. They are both solid and are the heavy favorites (with Ignatius) to be 1 of the teams in the D1 state finals. Any team besides one of those 3 to be in the state finals would be disappointing to me. They both have tremendous strengths and they both have things to clean up and get better at. The game could have gone either way. I was just glad that I/we all got treated to a great football game, great atmosphere, and 2 rock solid Ohio powerhouses going toe to toe. I really hope injuries don't derail either of the big 3 along the way. Could set-up for a great R1 semi and final!

Maybe Triv. after he retires could do seminars with public school football programs on how to beat the privates.He has a recipe for sure.The kryptonite to the Eagles and Wildcats.

Over the last decade, I wonder what the average score differential of these Mentor-St Ed/Ig games is? Has to be about 1 or is that me just remembering the to the wire ones?

2003: St Edward 13 Mentor 10 (OT)
2009: Mentor 28 St Edward 15
2010: St Edward 35 Mentor 28
2010: St Edward 35 Mentor 21
2012: Mentor 63 St Edward 56
2013: Mentor 41 St Edward 38
2015: St Edward 34 Mentor 10
2017: Mentor 21 St Edward 13
2018: Mentor 42 St Edward 39
2018: St Edward 24 Mentor 14
2019: Mentor 29 St Edward 28