Mentor Cardinals Football 2019

FightingCardinal

Per ArbiterLive, Mentor has finalized their 2019 Schedule, replacing Glenville with Clarkson Football North...

2019 Mentor Cardinals

Thursday, August 29 7:30PM @St. Edward
Friday, September 6 7:00PM St. Ignatius
Friday, September 13 7:00PM Clarkson Football North (Canada)
Friday, September 20 7:00PM @Elyria
Friday, September 27 7:00PM Medina
Friday, October 4 7:00PM @Solon
Friday, October 11 7:00PM Brunswick
Saturday, October 19 1:00PM @Shaker Heights
Friday, October 25 7:00PM Euclid
Friday, November 1 7:00PM @Strongsville

Clarkson is in Mississauga, Ontario.
Here are their 2018 results:

Football North (via Clarkson SS) 2018 Football (6-6)

8/17 A COF Academy (non-rated) (OH) (1-7) W 35-0
8/24 A Archbishop Moeller (OH) (6-5) L 14-27
9/7 A Elder (OH) (8-5) L 13-21
9/14 A Erie (PA) (2-7) W 42-28
9/21 A Lorain (OH) (6-4) W 38-28
9/29 A St Ignatius (OH) (8-3) L 13-45
10/5 A Saint Frances Academy (MD) (3-0) L 6-64
10/12 A St Xavier (OH) (5-6) L 19-38
10/19 A Cheshire Academy (CT) (0-2) W 49-41
10/26 A Cathedral Prep (PA) (8-3) W 51-40
11/2 A Bishop Sullivan (VA) (1-0) L 28-42
11/9 H Football North (via St Joseph) (1-8) W 42-0

Well they beat Lorain and Cathedral Prep. So better than those I guess ..

Says a lot when we have 3 out of conference games and they are iggy, Eds and team Canada. We are about the cleanest winning program in the state and have to schedule like we are a private school or recruiter public school ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do they determine points for Wins from out of state or country teams when it comes to the playoffs?

Clarkson is typically the most talented of the Canadian football schools, with a number of D1 types on their roster. I'm also surprised that Mentor has had to resort to scheduling them. Plenty of Stark County teams that put the Canadians on their schedule that I'm sure Mentor would like to take the place of.

All eyes will be on the returning trip of QB Kipp, RB Trobel, and WR Floriea. Bringing back those three will be a huge advantage on offense. We do know that last years team was built on the strength of the lines. That advantage will not be there in 2019. Was nice while it lasted though. Mentor needs to be successful by doing what they did in their very best seasons - top notch QB play.

Kipp is already getting offers from the MAC. He has the size, athleticism, arm strength, and potential. He didn’t have too much pressure put on his arm last season. In 2019, it will be all about that improvement and growth.

Defensively, Mentor does bring back some key starters from 2018. The defense won’t be as good as last season, but hopefully it will be good enough to compete with Ignatius/Eds.

In the league, Euclid lost a ton of size and talent to graduation. Solon and Strongsville lost quite a bit too. I imagine Mentor still is the favorite to win the GCC. As for pre-season expectations in Region 1, they are probably still considered a top 3 team. Eds graduates their top three playmakers, but their defense is going to be tough. Offensive line should be a major strength too.

How do they determine points for Wins from out of state or country teams when it comes to the playoffs?

They are assigned point values similar to OSHAA member schools based on enrollment. Clarkson is considered to be a Division 2 school for playoff point purposes.

I'm guessing that Floriea's sister is the track star. If he is the athlete that she is, he must be pretty good. She long jumped over 20 feet last year as a freshman.

The difference between beating Clarkson and Glenville (the team Mentor had in Week 3 in 2017/18) could end up being significant. Last season, Clarkson scheduled quite a who's who of Ohio power programs. If that continues and they take a step back in talent, they could be looking at a 2 or 3 win season. Glenville is a lock for 7 wins in the Senate. This year they ended up with 8, a win over a DI state semifinalist. Starting off 0-2 last year would have been tough in terms of harbins, but Mentor had a harbin cow in Glenville waiting in Week 3. This year, if you start 0-2 against Eds/Ignatius, that might not be the case with Clarkson. It would put a lot more pressure on the GCC season unless Mentor finishes with a split against the two DI powers.

Here is my list of returning players that started multiple games in 2018. Most of them started right away in Week 1, but a few were starting at various points during the season after injuries took place. I could be missing one or two.

QB Ian Kipp (junior)
RB Brain Trobel (junior)
RB Varney Spansel (senior)
WR Luke Floriea (senior)
WR Justin Luke (senior)
WR Nolan Vernon (senior)
OL Hunter Colao (junior)

DT Preston Cardina (junior)
LB Kyle Bischoff (senior)
LB Jackson Paglio (senior)
CB Nyzier Fourqurean (senior)
DB Marco Toth (senior)
DB Noah Gladish (junior)

74f0b2d438726ef94472ad11b4ec275c.jpg

Get out of here with that bull crap. Doctors check players not coaches. You guys dwell on that to disparage him because that's the only thing you can reach for. This while your programs recruit like crazy and do shady things every season

Wow, I have heard the rumblings on this site over the years, but didn't think it would be at the end of this year. Makes for a special season for the Cardinals. I know they lost some talented players on the offensive and defensive lines, but do Mentor fans think they have enough talent in place to make a run for Triv's first state championship in his last season coaching? Good luck to the cardinals! (except in week 1 of course :))

Wow, I have heard the rumblings on this site over the years, but didn't think it would be at the end of this year. Makes for a special season for the Cardinals. I know they lost some talented players on the offensive and defensive lines, but do Mentor fans think they have enough talent in place to make a run for Triv's first state championship in his last season coaching? Good luck to the cardinals! (except in week 1 of course :))

They have talent but the overwhelming odds are not to win a state title as a closed enrollment public school. Contender I can see but I don't think the defense will be good enough this year

Does Matt Gray take over in 2020 to maintain continuity? He is the OC and I believe he is only about 30 years old

I would hope we can get someone with experience in our situation. I'd guess there would be many applicants. A few head coaches nearby that I think would be great hires

Wow , Colerain and Mentor both with new coaches after next season . Two heavyweight Publics rebooting a bit . Great coach . Record speaks for itself . How old is he ?

Get out of here with that bull crap. Doctors check players not coaches. You guys dwell on that to disparage him because that's the only thing you can reach for. This while your programs recruit like crazy and do shady things every season

IMO, the guy is a tool. The doctors you refer to are quacks. Knocked out and back in at QB two plays later. Give me a freakin break. GBM

IMO, the guy is a tool. The doctors you refer to are quacks. Knocked out and back in at QB two plays later. Give me a freakin break. GBM

IMO a person who judges him off the doctors making a mistake is an idiot. Nobody cares about your agenda where you say this in multiple Mentor threads. Leave the thread. We aren't talking about a 2013 incident. This is about Triv as a whole. People like you are miserable and have prob not led perfect lives by any means too

And a Moeller fan with that dirty history and how you recruit currently judging Triv off one solitary incident is the epitome of irony. Give me a fricken break

Last edited:
I'm starting to get that football itch already.

I don't have any insider-info, but here's my way too early depth chart (based on last year's 2-deep depth chart). Idk if there's any underclassmen that are expected to fill in.......

QB - Kipp/Floriea
RB - Trobel/Spansel
WR - Floriea/Fulmer
WR - Luke/Oddo
WR - Vernon/Buckley
WR - Baird
LT - Shea (Jacoby's backup, listed as 6'2" 270 in last year's program)
LG - Colao/Hatcher
C - Zalewski (got some playing time as a sophomore at DT)
RG - Floyd
RT - Harmon (Samac's backup listed as 6'5" 200 in last year's program)

Key Losses:
WR - Trubisky, Gallo, Coode
OL - Jacoby, Samac, Williams, Platt

DE - ??? Romeo was listed as Potter's backup; not sure if he graduates this year
DT - Cardina/Ruffin
DT - Zalewski (not sure if he's playing OL or DL)
DE - ???? (hope they have some good underclassmen)
LB - Paglio
LB - Bischof
LB - Satterfield
S - Toth
S - Bertolami
CB - Gladish
CB - Fourqurean

Key Losses:
DL - Potter, Pedley, Frimel, Davis, Jepson
LB - Benz, Adams, Tripodo
DB - Gorka, Wolf, Gefert

Congrats to Luke Floriea who has committed to Boston College. Very impressive for someone his size to get a scholarship at an ACC school. Looking forward to a fun final season (both on the football field and the hardwood) as a Cardinal for Luke.

Congrats to Luke Floriea who has committed to Boston College. Very impressive for someone his size to get a scholarship at an ACC school. Looking forward to a fun final season (both on the football field and the hardwood) as a Cardinal for Luke.

Great to see and well-deserved. Glad he committed early. Guys like Andy Isabella at UMass leading the nation last year in receiving and tearing it up at the NFL combine really helps opening eyes to undersized players. Luke will definitely surprise a lot of people at the college level. I think the two-star rating as a recruit for him is low. Hopefully, he considers staying all year and plays basketball -- although the norm is now graduating in December and enrolling early in college in January (Trubisky, Fritts, Potter, Jacoby).

Great to see and well-deserved. Glad he committed early. Guys like Andy Isabella at UMass leading the nation last year in receiving and tearing it up at the NFL combine really helps opening eyes to undersized players. Luke will definitely surprise a lot of people at the college level. I think the two-star rating as a recruit for him is low. Hopefully, he considers staying all year and plays basketball -- although the norm is now graduating in December and enrolling early in college in January (Trubisky, Fritts, Potter, Jacoby).

I would guess without knowing the kid he will not go to BC early . Knowing the BC program a bit there won't be any pressure for him to leave HS early . QB'S obviously are a different animal but I would be surprised if he goes. qI realize even as a Slot or receiver it's beneficial to go to Spring practice but I think too many are in a hurry to get to the next thing. Enjoy the school year and hoops season .