Mentor Cardinals Football 2019

I would guess without knowing the kid he will not go to BC early . Knowing the BC program a bit there won't be any pressure for him to leave HS early . QB'S obviously are a different animal but I would be surprised if he goes. qI realize even as a Slot or receiver it's beneficial to go to Spring practice but I think too many are in a hurry to get to the next thing. Enjoy the school year and hoops season .

BC has 7 receivers enrolled currently with 3 commits for 2020. He said the coaches are planning on him being in the slot and also a return man for punts and kickoffs. He has a tough decision. He could vie for a starting spot and enroll early or stay and play basketball. How well he performs his senior year in football may play a part in his decision.

Triv's last chance to save his legacy and avoid embarrassment

Triv's legacy has already been established: a first rate coach who has taken his successful players and molded them into men. The only one who should be embarrassed is you for disparaging an excellent coach and trivializing what he has done.

Only a troll would call Triv an embarrassment. It’s not really worth arguing with a troll.
It is fair to say that his coaching resume will feel a tad incomplete without a state championship. I am sure Triv feels that way too as he has the highest expectations for himself and the program. Where he has taken Mentor over these past 20+ years is a continued upward projection. That is very impressive given the climate of DI football...which is mostly about a small group of the “haves” vs the vast majority of the “have nots.” Triv has kept Mentor elite for the majority of the past 18 seasons. He has a winning record against Chuck Kyle. Enough said.
Would love to see him go out on top this year. It would be the storybook ending to a Mentor guy that has given so much to his alma mater. But even if Mentor finishes 8-2 and loses in Week 12...Triv’s coaching career is more impressive than 99.7% of all HS coaches in Ohio history.

I am not a Mentor fan necessarily. The term avoid embarrassment is ridiculous. Triv is esteemed among his colleagues for all he has accomplished. That man already has a solid legacy and has nothing to be embarrassed about. You are a fool. Even a fool is allowed to have an opinion. As you have shown us.

Triv's legacy has already been established: a first rate coach who has taken his successful players and molded them into men. The only one who should be embarrassed is you for disparaging an excellent coach and trivializing what he has done.

:clap:

He's done an outstanding job over the years and winning state in a closed public is super difficult for any coach. Competing at the high level his team's have on a consistent basis is extraordinary by any measure.

Always keep the faith!

:clap:

He's done an outstanding job over the years and winning state in a closed public is super difficult for any coach. Competing at the high level his team's have on a consistent basis is extraordinary by any measure.

Always keep the faith!

Closed public excuse again? They have one of the highest enrollments in the country. A lack of talent has never been the issue for Mentor. Triv has failed to accomplish what many other coaches have over his tenure. Sadly, this mindset is why Mentor still does not have a state championship.

Closed public excuse again? They have one of the highest enrollments in the country. A lack of talent has never been the issue for Mentor. Triv has failed to accomplish what many other coaches have over his tenure. Sadly, this mindset is why Mentor still does not have a state championship.

They don't have anywhere near the highest enrollments in the country, so get your facts straight. They do in Ohio, but others who can recruit have more. They play in the toughest region in Ohio and have beaten both St. Ignatius and St. Edward in the same season, something extremely rare for any school. They advanced to 4 State finals.

Last edited:
4 state finals

And that wrestling guy is a St Eds troll. He never knows the facts. Complete dbag. Better to not engage

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I am the only one willing to say what everyone is thinking. Triv will always be remembered as the guy that failed to bring a state title to Mentor. If Mentor is content with taking 2nd place then more power to them. I was brought up with a much more competitive mentality.

Eds plays by different rules than Mentor. Much easier to win as a private vs a closed enrollment public. Winning D1 as a closed enrollment public is rare.

You don't play for the teams or have anything to do with them. Nobody is content with 2nd place. You sit your pathetic butt in the stands just like we do and watch. It isn't like you won anything You were just lucky to watch your school win Some of us have the perspective to know that and thus aren't trolling your team threads on a message board

Does anyone have an updated depth chart and such ? Scrimmage is August 9 so we have awhile but just interested in updates and what to watch for

Absolutely on point here. Triv's one of the great ones.

Does anyone have an updated depth chart and such ? Scrimmage is August 9 so we have awhile but just interested in updates and what to watch for

Anyone on this ? Trying to actually talk about this year's team which is what this thread is for

One of my entries this summer will highlight some of my favorite wins in the Triv era. I have made a top ten for regular season and playoff wins. If you have some suggestions, I'm up for adjusting my list. Put them in the thread or private message me some thoughts. Yes, the 2012 3OT win over St Ignatius (and the easily overlooked comeback win over St Eds the week before) were the first two I thought of.

2006 McKinley
2003 Ignatius

2012 and 2013 private school wins in playoffs

2002 over Solon in playoffs

My previews on Mentor's ten regular season opponents for 2019 starts today with Week 1, St Edward. Oh yes, the same ones that crushed our hopes of a state championship last season. Bring on the Eagles...

https://mentorfootball.blogspot.com/2019/07/opponent-preview-st-edward-week-1.html

Nice write-up as always. Week one should be another great game between these schools, even with the loss of some great players off last years squads. This year Mentor brings in the dangerous QB/RB/WR combo while the Eagles will be looking to replace theirs. I anticipate the offense to rely heavily on Formani, a very physical runner, and their o-line while the passing game develops.

Defenses are typically ahead of the offenses at this early point in the season, and Ed's should have a good one, but the Mentor offense is a different animal. We've seen them firing out of the gate on all cylinders in the past, and I anticipate that to be the case this year with an experienced (and talented) QB coming back in Kipp, and at least two great weapons in Trobel and Floriea.

The only game that Triv has anything to be upset about his trips to the state final is the game against Hilliard. He should have gone for two in OT. Mentor could not stop Hilliard and Hilliard could not stop Mentor. I was watching the game and was screaming at Mentor to go for two. They did not; Hilliard did the next time they got the ball second, and the rest is history. Other than that game, I thought Mentor was up against it in the SC games. Triv will not be remembered for those losses. He will be remembered for all the wins he has had against the best teams in the country. I do hope he gets one this year. It would be a great way to go out.

Hey,that's pretty funny! TRIV-ializing.

My previews on Mentor's ten regular season opponents for 2019 starts today with Week 1, St Edward. Oh yes, the same ones that crushed our hopes of a state championship last season. Bring on the Eagles...

https://mentorfootball.blogspot.com/2019/07/opponent-preview-st-edward-week-1.html

Solid preview with lots of names to go along with the write-up. Regarding Ed’s Sr QB O’Malley, I am waiting to see if Lombardo surprises everyone and hands the starting QB position over to the highly talented Sophomore Christian Ramos. That freshman year highlight film floating around on YouTube has a lot of people wondering if he can become the QB for the next three years. His arm reminds me of former Eagle QB Bobby Adams. He was the QB in the infamous original Holy War back in 1994.

Last edited:
The only game that Triv has anything to be upset about his trips to the state final is the game against Hilliard. He should have gone for two in OT. Mentor could not stop Hilliard and Hilliard could not stop Mentor. I was watching the game and was screaming at Mentor to go for two. They did not; Hilliard did the next time they got the ball second, and the rest is history. Other than that game, I thought Mentor was up against it in the SC games. Triv will not be remembered for those losses. He will be remembered for all the wins he has had against the best teams in the country. I do hope he gets one this year. It would be a great way to go out.

I agree that out of the four state final losses, the game against HD was the only one where Mentor had a very clear talent advantage. No offense to HD, Bo Delande was great. Their scheme and system was pretty flawless. But man for man, Mentor was clearly better. Unfortunately, it was the coaching staff's first time in that position - and it probably showed. The 2007 St X team, on the short list of best Ohio teams since 2000, was clearly better than Mentor. As good as that Tanski-led offense was, they were completely stuffed by a dominant St X defense.

In 2013, the talent disparity was minimal between Mentor and Moeller, maybe even a slight edge to Mentor. For Mentor, they had four DI guys just on offense: Krizancic (Minnesota), Fritts (North Carolina), Daugherty (Eastern Michigan), and Mathews (Colgate). Defensively, they had at least three - Berger (Ohio U), Lautanen (Bowling Green) and Walton (Ball State). Probably the most college talent on any Mentor team.

I would say that in 2017, the talent on the field against Pickerington Central was close, but the edge goes to PC. Both teams had some big talent on the lines. PC's QB (Crenshaw) is much more of a coveted college athlete, but Tatarunas (a senior compared to sophomore Crenshaw) was the seasoned veteran. In a state championship game, I think most coaches would've preferred to have Tatarunas at that point. Offensively at the skill positions, Mentor's guys were DIII college players - not the DI talent we saw play 2011-2013. PC had two skill guys going to MSU. Defensively, PC had a clear advantage on talent.

Nice write-up as always. Week one should be another great game between these schools, even with the loss of some great players off last years squads. This year Mentor brings in the dangerous QB/RB/WR combo while the Eagles will be looking to replace theirs. I anticipate the offense to rely heavily on Formani, a very physical runner, and their o-line while the passing game develops.

Defenses are typically ahead of the offenses at this early point in the season, and Ed's should have a good one, but the Mentor offense is a different animal. We've seen them firing out of the gate on all cylinders in the past, and I anticipate that to be the case this year with an experienced (and talented) QB coming back in Kipp, and at least two great weapons in Trobel and Floriea.

Thanks. It will be strength vs strength to start the season. Mentor's line will be pretty green, so that is a big question mark. But the trio of Kipp, Floriea, and Trobel should be really, really good. Mentor's defense has some returning guys, but they will look very different without a dominant force like Potter getting things going. I bet we get another shootout like last year.

Considering the amount of times we have seen the regular season loser flip the script in the playoff rematch lately (four times between Mentor/Ignatius since 2011 and Eds did it twice to Mentor/Ignatius last year), I wonder how much either team will hold back. I'm not suggesting either team wants to lose...the computer points in this win will go a long way. But will they go "all out" to win in Week 1 against an opponent they very well could see again?

I'd agree with cardzfan that 2013 was another year where a state championship was well within their grasp. They had the horses offensively to score at will on any defense. But yes, other than those years, they were clear underdogs.

Thanks. It will be strength vs strength to start the season. Mentor's line will be pretty green, so that is a big question mark. But the trio of Kipp, Floriea, and Trobel should be really, really good. Mentor's defense has some returning guys, but they will look very different without a dominant force like Potter getting things going. I bet we get another shootout like last year.

Considering the amount of times we have seen the regular season loser flip the script in the playoff rematch lately (four times between Mentor/Ignatius since 2011 and Eds did it twice to Mentor/Ignatius last year), I wonder how much either team will hold back. I'm not suggesting either team wants to lose...the computer points in this win will go a long way. But will they go "all out" to win in Week 1 against an opponent they very well could see again?

I certainly can't imagine we'll be seeing a full playbook from Ed's with the QB (whoever it may be) making his first career varsity start and other fresh faces at the skill positions. And from what we've seen from Lombardo so far, his August/September teams can look nothing like the November/December versions. Likewise, I'd expect Mentor to keep it basic (as basic as that offense can be). No need to be cute. Just keep the ball in the hands of your 3 big playmakers and let them make plays.

I'd agree with cardzfan that 2013 was another year where a state championship was well within their grasp. They had the horses offensively to score at will on any defense. But yes, other than those years, they were clear underdogs.

The problem in 2013 wasn't talent - it was scheme, preparation, and a mismatch or two that wasn't adjust to properly. Offensively, Mentor scored 52 points. You win 999 out of 1,000 times when you score that much in a state final. But you lose 1,000 out of 1,000 when you give up 55 points. Mentor's secondary, poorly prepared every year, couldn't keep up. Rightfully so, Moe kept going back to that mismatch over and over. The running ability of the QB (Ragland) was a big X-factor in the game too. Mentor has historically had a lot of trouble with mobile QB's. That goes back to the guys in the headsets, not the players on the field when it happens as often as it does. Like I said, Mentor's 2013 team had a lot of talent...even on defense. It just didn't show on that cold day at Fawcett.

Nice summary...CJ Hankins (ILB) will also be a key contributor to a "projected" solid D for the Eagles in 2019. His late season contributions allowed the Eagles to make personnel changes to the front 7 that allowed the D to become stout thru its championship run.

Mentor will be very skilled offensively in 2019 and I don't expect Triv to play it conservatively in his last season as their head coach. Both have challenging opponents in week 2 and would love to start the season with a W.

Go Eagles!

I'm guessing that Floriea's sister is the track star. If he is the athlete that she is, he must be pretty good. She long jumped over 20 feet last year as a freshman.

Paige Floriea is a beast on the track! She's gonna dominate the Austintown Region for the next two years and compete for state titles.

Paige Floriea is a beast on the track! She's gonna dominate the Austintown Region for the next two years and compete for state titles.

Yeah, the Floriea family is filled with speedsters! Oldest brother Jake Floriea, expected to be the starter this year at John Carroll, was probably the fastest QB's that Triv has had. Luke is electric on the football field and the basketball court. Sister Paige might be the best athlete of them all.