Meechie Johnson Scores 50 @ Benedictine

Bball216

I was not at the game but Twitter was blowing up that freshman Meechie Johnson from Garfield Heights laid 50 on the Bengals tonight. The game was played at Benedictine.

Was anybody there that could give a recap ?

cardzfan1234

How good is Garfield going to be when Meechie is a senior, Sonny's son is a junior, plus all of the transfers that will want to jump on.

Amazing stuff that a freshman stands out like that. Probably is most talented Ohio frosh since Mayo.

Bball216

Meechie had 50 - but Heights only won by 6 and they have even played games while Benny was playing game 1. There are squads in the area that are 6 points better than Benny. I would not be printing tickets to Columbus if I where Heights just yet. Still impressive for a freshmen - hell its impressive for any grade or division.

Myron

Meechie had 50 - but Heights only won by 6 and they have even played games while Benny was playing game 1. There are squads in the area that are 6 points better than Benny. I would not be printing tickets to Columbus if I where Heights just yet. Still impressive for a freshmen - hell its impressive for any grade or division.
Solid assessment of this team and achievement. There are plenty of teams that approximate Garfield's talent level that will be much better coached. They just won't run into these teams till the final 16, 8, or 4 teams remaining in the state.

OHSAA basketball is just one huge AAU program

How good is Garfield going to be when Meechie is a senior, Sonny's son is a junior, plus all of the transfers that will want to jump on.

Amazing stuff that a freshman stands out like that. Probably is most talented Ohio frosh since Mayo.
If he were not related to Sonny, I would almost guarantee he wouldn't be staying at Garfield until he is a senior. I still think there is a shot he doesn't stick around and heads to a Basketball Factory Prep.

Bball216

Everything could change if the OHSAA ever investigates the program like people have been asking them to.

Garfield was winning by 10-16 most of the game, Benny had a late run to cut it close. Waller was injured on the 2nd play of game and missed the rest. Garfield will have to improve to get to Columbus and will need Waller healthy. Benny is good. Not sure how many squads in the area are better than them. Not too many imo. We will find out quickly with their upcoming schedule. Impressed with them. The home crowd is loud! Both teams in this game have the potential to be much better later in the year. Bene just got most of their roster playing together 2 weeks ago and Garfield's chemisty could improve a lot. Time will tell but insane talent and athleticism in the gym on Friday night.

Auggie

Heard that the scene at Benny was fantastic for this game and that it is becoming a destination for hoop heads that want to see a good HS atmosphere.

Myron

I saw that picture--that had to be interesting to see a player perusing an errant pass headed out of bounds.

We were having this conversation the other day about some of the most unique gyms and atmospheres in Ohio, and Benny certainly came up as one of them

With emotions running high on the court and with fans, I'm not necessarily sure that is a good situation for anyone. And, since Bennies is a good program playing good competition, maybe they(administrators) ought to think about moving games to a more suitable venue before something happens that no one wants?

Auggie

With emotions running high on the court and with fans, I'm not necessarily sure that is a good situation for anyone. And, since Bennies is a good program playing good competition, maybe they(administrators) ought to think about moving games to a more suitable venue before something happens that no one wants?
They have been playing games on this court for years and there have been no real big problems up to this point; I don't see Benny giving up the home court advantage. CCC comes for their traditional early December visit on Friday and there will probably be another packed house plus the Ironmen have been known to be a chippy group on the court, everything should be fine.

Irish60

I look at that picture of that pure stroke that Meechie Johnson has and I can't help to wonder how in the world, if you are developing a basketball player basically from the cradle (!), could Lavar Ball allow his kids to have those awkward shots that they have!?!

Smalls

I look at that picture of that pure stroke that Meechie Johnson has and I can't help to wonder how in the world, if you are developing a basketball player basically from the cradle (!), could Lavar Ball allow his kids to have those awkward shots that they have!?!
No kidding.

You see it all the time though. If a kid as some success at a young age they never have incentive to do things the right way.

"It works for me. Why change anything?"

Many of the best shooters are the gym rat types that have had to fight to find time on the floor, until their shooting improves to the point you can't take them off.

No kidding.

You see it all the time though. If a kid as some success at a young age they never have incentive to do things the right way.

"It works for me. Why change anything?"

Many of the best shooters are the gym rat types that have had to fight to find time on the floor, until their shooting improves to the point you can't take them off.
Lavar training them was good from athleticism standpoint, but he really isn't a true basketball guy. Probably didn't know how to teach proper shooting form and since he knows all, never allowed his boys to work with a shooting coach like most players do these days.