McVittie

Irwin20

KDKA radio in Pittsburgh reported that QB Thomas McVittie is transferring. He has 3 yrs of eligibility remaining. Not surprised as the true Freshmen from NJ looked good in Pitt's last game. Any insight on where he might end up?

KDKA radio in Pittsburgh reported that QB Thomas McVittie is transferring. He has 3 yrs of eligibility remaining. Not surprised as the true Freshmen from NJ looked good in Pitt's last game. Any insight on where he might end up?

Who knows.Wonder if UC or Miami OH could have a spot for him?

I know Miami had their back up qb transfer out. I know chuck (miami coach) likes Moeller kids. Two Moeller qb's currently on miamis roster. Would be close to home, could play, decent school.

And it's MacVittie. Obviously has a lot of time invested in being a college QB so if this will get him the reps needed to move on to bigger places then it is a gambke that makes sense for him. He was older than most in his grade at Moeller so it's not for maturity purposes- hope it works out

My guess is he's using this coming year at MCC as an audition, for the lack of a better term. I'm sure he had some interest from teams and he thought he could do better. Again, just my guess.

My guess is he's using this coming year at MCC as an audition, for the lack of a better term. I'm sure he had some interest from teams and he thought he could do better. Again, just my guess.
Yup, that's what some do- it's a gamble, but if he lands at a "better" program than he was getting looks from mid year then it pays off, I guess. At least it's warmer there than Pittsburgh!

It is an interesting move as most kids that go the community college route do so due to grades or a lack of interest in coming out of high school. I would imagine that he is trying to parlay it into another Power 5 offer because I am sure that he would have attracted significant interest from MAC level schools as well as FCS schools.

Apparently Pitt's starting QB last year, until he lost the job, has transferred to James Madison. While I realize FCS programs don't have the luster of FBS there is still some very good football played in front of good sized crowds. Unless a kid has eyes on playing at the next level I think FCS is a good option.

Thomas is a great kid and comes from a good family but he's an FCS or MAC player not a Power 5 player. I wish he would have gone that route. Heck I would have loved to see him go to UC and compete there. It would be nice to see a local boy play QB at UC. I wish Thomas the best.

It is an interesting move as most kids that go the community college route do so due to grades or a lack of interest in coming out of high school. I would imagine that he is trying to parlay it into another Power 5 offer because I am sure that he would have attracted significant interest from MAC level schools as well as FCS schools.

Apparently Pitt's starting QB last year, until he lost the job, has transferred to James Madison. While I realize FCS programs don't have the luster of FBS there is still some very good football played in front of good sized crowds. Unless a kid has eyes on playing at the next level I think FCS is a good option.

This was what I thought as well. aiming "right" is hard for parents and kids - many overreach and end up unhappy/leaving. Lots of great schools with good football programs would have likely taken him, but I guess they are aiming higher and felt the CC was worth the gamble. I don't recall, what offers did he have other than Pitt initially?

Another guy from that same class that hasn't seen any playing time at OSU is Jake Hausman. He was a big time recruit! I wonder what he plans on doing. If he's not happy not playing MacVittie and him should package themselves to UC, Miami or a MAC school and see what they can do. That would be neat to see.

With all do respect to guys like Peyton Ramsey, Andrew Hendrix and Sean Clifford when MacVitte was healthy he was as good or better than all of them. A little bit bigger with a gun and better than average speed for a big kid. One year as a starter and hobbled with that leg injury early on. I think the kid could play at a power 5 school, but chances of getting a shot now may be a little diminished unless he lights it up in Arizona. GBM

Another guy from that same class that hasn't seen any playing time at OSU is Jake Hausman. He was a big time recruit! I wonder what he plans on doing. If he's not happy not playing MacVittie and him should package themselves to UC, Miami or a MAC school and see what they can do. That would be neat to see.

I don't want to speak for him or his family, but being an Ohio State fan, this was only his RS-Freshman year.

Granted, they're bringing in a 5 Star TE from New York, but Jake will get every opportunity to play at Ohio State. We'll see how spring ball goes for him.

This was what I thought as well. aiming "right" is hard for parents and kids - many overreach and end up unhappy/leaving. Lots of great schools with good football programs would have likely taken him, but I guess they are aiming higher and felt the CC was worth the gamble. I don't recall, what offers did he have other than Pitt initially?

I like your phrase "aiming right" as it is a good way to describe the process. I have not had kids play in college but have had a number of friends kids play various sports in college. I think it is a fine line for a parent between supporting a dream and providing perspective regarding the long term. With the exception of very few kids, the athletic career will end in college. Parents need to help remind the kids of this fact and have them look at the long term picture. That is not to say a kid can't pursue the dream and prepare for the future, but at some point they need to realize their future is not athletics. The starting QB at Florida Atlantic, who had a great season, decided to not come back for his final year of eligibility. He is ready to graduate with a civil engineering degree and said he is ready to move on to the next chapter in his life.

Best of luck to MacVitte at Mesa and beyond.

For my kid, I would prefer to have them going to a great school and playing for 4 years and getting to enjoy college life with friends rather than just trying to get to a more prestigious sports/football program. Luckily my kiddos agreed and ended up very happy with their choices so far.

That's why I always take these big "signing day" extravaganzas with a grain of salt- I'd venture that more than half (probably a lot more) end up switching schools/stopping to play/not getting much playing time. One exception from that class is Ryan Smith- having a great career at Indiana

Last edited:
For my kid, I would prefer to have them going to a great school and playing for 4 years and getting to enjoy college life with friends rather than just trying to get to a more prestigious sports/football program. Luckily my kiddos agreed and ended up very happy with their choices so far.

That's why I always take these big "signing day" extravaganzas with a grain of salt- I'd venture that more than half (probably a lot more) end up switching schools/stopping to play/not getting much playing time. One exception from that class is Ryan Smith- having a great career at Indiana

Even though were not friends, I pretty much agree with you. At some point the rabbit hole of chasing athletic prowess has to end. For 98.5% of players from Moeller, getting a quality education on the arm is the best to hope. Pitt is a very good school.

You have your whole life to take super serious. Why not have some fun while you can. Maybe JC is part of that. Maybe he got burned out, going through practice and school in the ACC all the time, just to sit the bench. I hope he finds what he is looking for. I have a lot of respect for him and his senior class for showing a lot of heart to fend off a losing season in 2015. I still remember watching them beat Elder at the Pit that year.

Another reason could be incredibly simple: maybe he doesn't want to sit out. Maybe he just wants to play, no matter the level of competition.

I hadn’t followed closely, but thought it was assumed MacVittie would be the starter at Kansas this season, but they went with Stanley and lost to Coastal Carolina- what?!? Have to think they give Thomas a shot at starting the next game after that debacle.

I hadn’t followed closely, but thought it was assumed MacVittie would be the starter at Kansas this season, but they went with Stanley and lost to Coastal Carolina- what?!? Have to think they give Thomas a shot at starting the next game after that debacle.
I think your assumption about MacVitte being the starter was correct. He was recruited by Les Miles and was talked up by him prior to the start of camp. With two years of eligibility, and being Miles guy, I would have thought he would have had a big advantage over the senior Carter Stanley. However it appears he was not able to beat him out in camp. Miles said he plans on sticking with Stanley for the BC game, however I would imagine that can't continue if he performs like he did against Coastal Carolina.

I think your assumption about MacVitte being the starter was correct. He was recruited by Les Miles and was talked up by him prior to the start of camp. With two years of eligibility, and being Miles guy, I would have thought he would have had a big advantage over the senior Carter Stanley. However it appears he was not able to beat him out in camp. Miles said he plans on sticking with Stanley for the BC game, however I would imagine that can't continue if he performs like he did against Coastal Carolina.
I honestly had no idea Coastal even had a football team. Just heard two others from the ‘16 class Ryan Smith and Jake Hausmann are done with football at IU and OSU- checked and neither are on the rosters. Those 3 were the big signees from that class along with Raga at Princeton.

I honestly had no idea Coastal even had a football team. Just heard two others from the ‘16 class Ryan Smith and Jake Hausmann are done with football at IU and OSU- checked and neither are on the rosters. Those 3 were the big signees from that class along with Raga at Princeton.

Might want to double check, Hausmann played 21 snaps on Saturday.

Yup my bad- did a quick roster scan and missed him, guess I had it in my head that the person who mentioned it would have been correct. That would have really surprised me- he was a standout forever.

MacVitte got into the Kansas game yesterday and threw a pick on his only pass attempt. Les Miles put another senior in for a while before going back to the starter Carter Stanley

Going to college to play football is really a crapshoot in terms of playing time. There have been some really good local football players who’s careers didn’t pan out in college. It reinforces why it is so important to make sure the school is a good fit beyond football

Going to college to play football is really a crapshoot in terms of playing time. There have been some really good local football players who’s careers didn’t pan out in college. It reinforces why it is so important to make sure the school is a good fit beyond football

Exactly.. For most guys getting their school paid for is the main objective. Too many kids are not putting academics first. A free degree in a BullSh*t major with no intern experience isn't really helpful in getting a job. A lot of kids think they are D1, power 5 ETC. talent which is great until they get there and never play. Some of these kids (and their parents) need to drop their egos and be more realistic about life after football.

He’s now almost 23 and hasn’t completed a pass in a D1 game- no injuries either. It should just be a sign to all these hopefuls to be more realistic and aim right. But people don’t listen- they hear what they want. Assuming he has another year of eligibility since he redshirted- question is will he stay at Kansas or switch again.

He’s now almost 23 and hasn’t completed a pass in a D1 game- no injuries either. It should just be a sign to all these hopefuls to be more realistic and aim right. But people don’t listen- they hear what they want. Assuming he has another year of eligibility since he redshirted- question is will he stay at Kansas or switch again.

I hope he just graduates at this point. But he will be in the qb battle next year, as KU's current starter is a senior.

I don’t know, when they used a back up it was another senior- not a big boost of confidence.

Well, KU's website says he is studying marketing. I would guess its a decent program. Worse things than walking away from football injury and debt free.