McDonald girls coach steps down

blue60

Coach Amy Dolsak steps down after 22 win season which included District Title at McDonald. Have not heard any reason why. They have all starter returning next year. This is a surprize to everyone I have talked to. I am sure reasons will come out sooner or later.

Salem has a solid returning group to go with a strong upcoming 8th grade team.
I would be surprised if either of these two coaches would get this job.
Although both have good track records neither would fit well in Salem.
List of applicants would be interesting to see.

I always try to look at the board of education dates to figure out when we might know on some of these openings. As for Salem, if it's still scheduled as shown, their board meeting is on Monday so I'm sure they already have somebody picked.

As for McDonald, not knowing much about the situation, I have to feel that Moschella is not a good fit for this situation. I've only seen McDonald once(at regionals), but their head coach's style of coaching compared to Moschella's coaching style are not comparable. I'm not sure how Matisi would do at McDonald, but I believe it would be better than Moschella for McDonald's situation.

As far as I know, the Salem girls’ basketball job will be filled by Sarah Hamilton, who was an assistant coach on the basketball staff. She resigned her head volleyball coaching position at Salem recently in order to only coach one sport.

That guys name is thrown around for every job that is located near YTOWN area. What does he know that others do not? haha

I think his name being thrown around for every job located near Youngstown area is about two things. His resume is appealing to some people and then you add in the factor that some in the area have heard that he is looking to get back into coaching and that's how his name is getting thrown around.

This time it appears to be true.

I think his name being thrown around for every job located near Youngstown area is about two things. His resume is appealing to some people and then you add in the factor that some in the area have heard that he is looking to get back into coaching and that's how his name is getting thrown around.

This time it appears to be true.

You could also add in the factor that the dude just wins wherever he's at. How many combined district titles does he have at Lowellville and SR? If that kind of resume doesn't appeal to people - those people obviously don't know much!

What is the story behind his departure from both places? Was he seeking bigger better opportunity? Was he doing the wrong thing? Was he a part of a witch hunt? I don't care either way. I wish him good luck as he is walking into a great situation. Resume sounds impressive if he is winning district titles. What is his secret? Is he chasing talent? Is he developing talent? If he is developing talent, then I want to talk to him to find out what he does to develop it. Im a young coach seeking a panel of great coaches to interview. Do you think they would be willing to share ideas? information?

Not sure of any of that. Going to South Range seemed to be just the right move at the right time. He and Cullen are good friends and they went into it together. Both of them had a lot of success at SR with Cullen still being there. I think combined they have over 1k wins...anyways, following him from his Lowellville days he's one of the nicest human beings on the planet and kids love playing for him - success is rooted in relationships.

This most likely will be a 1 and done. If you're lucky, you squeeze 2 years out of him. After his year McDonald loses everything. Matisi was run out of South Range because they felt he didn't build or have enough involvement with the youth. (By run out I mean not renewed)
For McDonald this year is Regional's or bust. You have possibly the best player in the area and 2 other very solid players with everyone returning.
You had a lead with just over a minute in the regional game last year, still had to ball down 1 with 40 seconds or so..

From anything I've ever seen or heard. His former players love him. He's a great guy and his track record isn't by mistake. Yes he's had talent at Lowellville and South Range but his teams play hard and play together.

We will see, winning can do a lot for a program - and a lot can happen over the following spring and summers. There's only so much you can do with a youth program, you either have the talent or you don't...then it becomes what you can do with that talent. So if that was his downfall at SR then so be it. Excited to see what he can do with this group at McDonald! And if it's only a year loan, at least they're getting a good human being.

See you in Dayton!

Dayton ehhhhh? I would love to see you in Dayton....haha

Good luck!! Take a look at who could be in your path, not an easy road as this year proved.

One and done ehhh?

Winning surely does make avg teams great....they dont want to be that group that doesnt meet expectations. Getting a program to that point is a lot easier said than done.

Hiland and Wadsworth kids in girls basketball. Mogadore football. etc etc.

I'm not sure about the youth program in McDonald. I know there are multiple leagues and tournaments all winter long. Not sure if they have teams in them or not.
What is killer is no spring and as of right now summer until at least July? Hopefully that changes this week. This is a great group, so anything he wants to put in, I think they will pick up on quick. But I'm sure he's still like to get them in some summer leagues, camps, etc. Heck - I'm sure just meeting them all would be a benefit.

Unfortunately all of this is out of his control and anyone with a new hire is in the same boat.

Congratulations to Coach Matisi. I had him earmarked to Boardman. Must be hiring from within? I had also heard a lack of attention to the SR youth programs, clinics, camps, etc was the main reason to not renew His contract. Great guy off the court, but may not have been as well received by some players and their parents as some are saying here. No real news. Tell me a coach who is liked by all of his/her players, including their parents!

Congratulations to Coach Matisi. I had him earmarked to Boardman. Must be hiring from within? I had also heard a lack of attention to the SR youth programs, clinics, camps, etc was the main reason to not renew His contract. Great guy off the court, but may not have been as well received by some players and their parents as some are saying here. No real news. Tell me a coach who is liked by all of his/her players, including their parents!

Absolutely can't please everyone. I don't buy the "lack of attention to youth" programs when their elementary school teams were beating the pants off my kid's 3rd, 5th and 6th grade teams a couple years ago. Look at the success their Jr. High has had as well, even with the move to the new league and playing bigger schools. Had to have been upset parents complaining (SHOCKER) about playing time or someone in the ears of administration. Again, his record speaks for itself. You won't find a nicer guy, at least from what I've seen.

I agree with you bballwatcher in that I don't buy the "youth development" reason for non-renewal. I think South Range was looking to give Fischel the job and needed a reason to sever the contract. Winning usually trumps anything like that, and they were certainly winning with Matisi as head coach. I think the parental issue was also part of that, especially how South Range lost Vuletich to Western Reserve.