Matt Barkley named USC starting QB

Clyde Frog

Although it is unknown whether freshman Matt Barkley will start the game versus Ohio State, Barkley has been named the starting QB for USC for their season opener vs. San Jose State.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4426998

As an OSU fan, I think it will be very tough for Barkley, if he does indeed start past week one, to go into The 'Shoe and beat the Buckeyes. I know Barkley has been impressive so far in camp, but a win in Ohio Stadium, in front of 105,000 screaming fans, in your first road start of your college career, is going to be very tough for him and USC. I'm surprised Pete Carroll went with Barkley instead of Aaron Corp due to Corp already having some experience in the system and being the better runner of the two.

EDIT: Pete Carroll said to usctrojans.com that Barkley starting "is not a one-game deal. He is our starting quarterback." It looks like Barkley, as of right now, will indeed start against OSU and will be the USC starting quarterback for the season, barring injury.

Last edited:

I am very much looking forward to welcoming a true freshman to Ohio Stadium in only his second game.

This is truley the year that USC football takes a major step back. With a true frosh starting there is no way that they beat the Bucks or win the Pac 10

Now I know why he was so sore when Mark Sanchez announced that he would enter the NFL draft earlier this year.

This is truley the year that USC football takes a major step back. With a true frosh starting there is no way that they beat the Bucks or win the Pac 10

They will do both IMO. That true frosh is going to be handing the ball off to some stud RBs. Its not like he's going to be shouldering a huge load early on

The Bucks have alot of pressure. His second start ever and in Columbus... If he does lead USC over OSU that could majorly hurt the declining cred of the Buckeyes.

They will do both IMO. That true frosh is going to be handing the ball off to some stud RBs. Its not like he's going to be shouldering a huge load early on
I'm not sold that handing it off will be enough to beat OSU. I understand you will not give the Buckeyes any credit but you can't beat them playing one dimensional and if you think he won't struggle in that environment throwing the ball, then.....I am wasting my time, which is probably the case anyhow.

I think OSU will win this one pretty easy. I think USC is over rated this season and didnt know who the starting QB was till a week before the season starts.

I'm not sold that handing it off will be enough to beat OSU. I understand you will not give the Buckeyes any credit but you can't beat them playing one dimensional and if you think he won't struggle in that environment throwing the ball, then.....I am wasting my time, which is probably the case anyhow.

Look I know all you OSU fans think now that Pete Carrol has decided to start Barkley that this is good news for OSU. Lets look at this Without the scarlet and gray glasses. USC has one of the best Olines in college football,3 GREAT RBs that could start for any team in the country,and a talented group of WRs all back on offense this year. USC's offense is still VERY good and Barkley is not your average Fr QB he has been their since Jan and has been through Spring practice. OSU defense is breaking in new LBs and some new starters in the secondary as well,If i remember correctly OSU D line did squat aginst USC O line last year. Plus one more thing USC has Pete Carrol,and we all know how well Pete does in Big Games.In my opinion Barkley starting does nothing to change my mind who is going to win this game.

Both teams are pretty young so I don't know exactly what to expect, but I do have more confidence in OSU's chances this year than I did against USC last year.

I made a simple comment on how he certainly isn't going to be asked to win the game by himself and has some very nice RBs to hand it off to. Take it easy

Look I know all you OSU fans think now that Pete Carrol has decided to start Barkley that this is good news for OSU. Lets look at this Without the scarlet and gray glasses. USC has one of the best Olines in college football,3 GREAT RBs that could start for any team in the country,and a talented group of WRs all back on offense this year. USC's offense is still VERY good and Barkley is not your average Fr QB he has been their since Jan and has been through Spring practice. OSU defense is breaking in new LBs and some new starters in the secondary as well,If i remember correctly OSU D line did squat aginst USC O line last year. Plus one more thing USC has Pete Carrol,and we all know how well Pete does in Big Games.In my opinion Barkley starting does nothing to change my mind who is going to win this game.

Finally someone points out the reality.
:clap: :clap:

I don't understand how any OSU fans can be happy going into this game. They lost by a huge margin last year and regardless of USC losing a good amount of players they don't rebuild they reload. Barkley is considered one of the best QB's to come out of high school in this decade and he has a huge amount of help around him.

I feel as if many think that just because it's at the Shoe it makes this a game for OSU's definite favor. What happened when Texas came and played at the Shoe?..or even Illinois?

I made a simple comment on how he certainly isn't going to be asked to win the game by himself and has some very nice RBs to hand it off to. Take it easy
And I simply made a rebuttal. However halfway through the post I realized I'm posting on Yappi, where common sense doesn't usually factor into posts. For all the OSU fans "being happy" going into this game, I would point out an equal amount of non-OSU people that just assume USC will walkover the Bucks as well. So what's the difference? These same anti-OSU folks are being hypocritical by pointing out the "scarlet and gray colored" glasses, while they look at the same situation with their anti-Buckeye glasses. It almost funny how all Buckeye fans are considered homers or whatever, when the people that despise the Buckeyes use the same flawed logic against the Buckeyes. BTW JHUBBS, the last few sentences were NOT directed at you per se.

Finally someone points out the reality.
:clap: :clap:

I don't understand how any OSU fans can be happy going into this game. They lost by a huge margin last year and regardless of USC losing a good amount of players they don't rebuild they reload. Barkley is considered one of the best QB's to come out of high school in this decade and he has a huge amount of help around him.

I feel as if many think that just because it's at the Shoe it makes this a game for OSU's definite favor. What happened when Texas came and played at the Shoe?..or even Illinois?

They sure didn't win easily and that is exactly what all the anti-Buckeye folks think is going to happen. You have to flip the pages back quite a few years to find a lopsided score in favor of the Away team.

Ahh you can tell the season is upon us...The Buckeye "homers" and "haters" are out in full force.

I think OSU will win this one pretty easy. I think USC is over rated this season and didnt know who the starting QB was till a week before the season starts.

You have to be kidding me. I do think USC will take a step back this year in their dominance, but that doesn't mean OSU or anyone else is going to beat them easily.

OSU doesn't exactly have a track record of beating any top notch out of conference foe easily...

Both teams are pretty young so I don't know exactly what to expect, but I do have more confidence in OSU's chances this year than I did against USC last year.

Logical post. I agree. I don't really know exactly what to expect out of either teams this year.

Honestly, I don't see either finishing top 5..:shrug:

Those running backs are inconsitant and little overrated, plus had Tressel just stuck with Troy Smith OSU would ve beat Texas. But the main reason why I think OSU will win is Terrelle Pryor. Who does USC have in their front seven that will slow him down?

Those running backs are inconsitant and little overrated, plus had Tressel just stuck with Troy Smith OSU would ve beat Texas. But the main reason why I think OSU will win is Terrelle Pryor. Who does USC have in their front seven that will slow him down?

many top recruits in the country who have been waiting for their turn to play.. one specifically would be Everson Griffen (sp?)

How dare you introduce some rational thought into a perfectly good chest swelling thread. Oh well, we should still be able to hear the loud pop from this thread if USC comes in and beats OSU in a couple weeks.