Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

Tyger Tyger burning bright,
In the forests of the night:
What immortal hand or eye,
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

Hazardous Whippet

What's the story on the Tyger spelling?
Mansfield Senior athletics director Skip Fulton has been at the school 13 years and he's doesn't know the truth behind the story.

"It's been Tygers for as long as anybody can remember or least anybody that I've ever talked to," Fulton said. "I don't know if anybody really knows the real story."

Fulton said there are two versions of the history of the Tygers.

The first postulates Mansfield and rival Massillon, both nicknamed Tigers with the traditional spelling, played a football game with the stipulation where the winner got to keep the Tiger nickname.

"That is perhaps my favorite story," Fulton said. "To be honest, I can't believe any part of that because it's been Tygers for as long as anyone can remember, but I always enjoy that story."

The story Fulton puts more stock in is the one that theorizes the Tyger nickname comes from the William Blake poem "The Tyger" which reads in part:

Tyger! Tyger! Burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

The stanza is also painted on the wall in the Mansfield gymnasium.

"That seems to be the more accepted version," Fulton said.

Fulton said he and many at the school enjoy the uniqueness of the name and its unknown origins.

What's the story on the Tyger spelling?
In the 1980s, Athletic Director Henry placed notices in the school sports programs asking that if anyone had any background information on the spelling of the Mansfield mascot. Two theories on the origin seemed the most believable.
William Blake’s famous verse, “The Tyger,” written in 1794, uses this spelling.
Tyger! Tyger! Burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Spelling of English words was not yet standardized in the 1790s, and Blake reportedly spelled it the way he thought it should have been. The first theory of the Mansfield claim of “Tyger” reports that a “Manhigan” editor may have wanted to impress his English teacher of his knowledge of English poets, so he used the name to impress once and it stuck.
The second and more probable theory is that when Mansfield began competing against the Massillon “Tigers”, the spelling was changed to differentiate the two teams.

Last edited:
Meant to ask someone at the game last night. How did Marion Local come to be known as the Flyers?

After minutes of strenuous research I have been told that during the 1957-58 school year a contest was held, taking suggestions for mascot of the new combined school district, and voted on by the student body. Flyers being the winner. Now I'm kind of curious what the runners up were.

RedRider1

Just a little fun here.

Division 1
Tigers vs. Panthers
Division 2
Tigers vs. Lancers
Division 3
Tygers vs. Rams
Division 4
Panthers vs. Fliers
Division 5
Tigers vs. Hornets
Division 6
Tigers vs. Rockets
Division 7
Cubs vs. Flyers

Big cats and things that fly dominate the finals this year.
Fliers, Tigers & Bears (Cubs). Oh My!!

serpico

After minutes of strenuous research I have been told that during the 1957-58 school year a contest was held, taking suggestions for mascot of the new combined school district, and voted on by the student body. Flyers being the winner. Now I'm kind of curious what the runners up were.
My Dad claims a classmate had a Mercury that was famous (infamous?) around the school and that ‘Marion Mercs’ was in the running.

My Dad claims a classmate had a Mercury that was famous (infamous?) around the school and that ‘Marion Mercs’ was in the running.
Serpico, ask your Dad if by chance this guy with the Mercury was a pretty decent athlete and was prone to stutter occasionally when he got excited ?

The Dock

Hard for me to imagine the Marion Local “Mercs”, not the least because this has become such an iconic logo in Ohio high school football. Almost a trademark, if you will.