Massillon Tigers to play Valdosta in NE Ohio Classic

UMMMMMMMMMMMMM, HOW do you folks know that Massillon would win? I went to that lil town in 2002, on my way back from watching IGGY vs Erie Cathedral Prep. in Parma. And took a tour of Paul Brown Stadium, conducted by one of the local diehards. He was talking about them playing Valdosta back then. Sadly, he didn't live long enough to see it come to fruition. I couldn't believe that they have TWO high schools.

But in your defense, Valdosta is NOT NEARLY the Valdosta of old. When I was in high school, they were a national power, with six natty's from 1960-1986, after actually winning a state championship on the field, unlike teams in some OTHER states I know of who claimed nattys. :) Valdosta's last great team came in 1989, when they lost to my Packers 7-0 on the night that '20/20' came calling, to film the winningest team on the planet! SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE! We made um CRY THAT night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***smile*** PROBABLY cost them yet ANOTHER natty. They went through the playoffs like a knife through butter, beating Clarke Central in Athens in the finals 33-7, to finish 14-1.

Since that time, Valdosta proper has gradually become an inner city, with many inner city issues. Many of the old Wildcat families have since trekked into the county, and now send their kids to the evil horde at LOWNDES, with its 2800 student enrollment. HOPEFULLY, I didn't get too political. If I did, I apologize!
When did I say Massillon would win?

UMMMMMMMMMMMMM, HOW do you folks know that Massillon would win? I went to that lil town in 2002, on my way back from watching IGGY vs Erie Cathedral Prep. in Parma. And took a tour of Paul Brown Stadium, conducted by one of the local diehards. He was talking about them playing Valdosta back then. Sadly, he didn't live long enough to see it come to fruition. I couldn't believe that they have TWO high schools.

But in your defense, Valdosta is NOT NEARLY the Valdosta of old. When I was in high school, they were a national power, with six natty's from 1960-1986, after actually winning a state championship on the field, unlike teams in some OTHER states I know of who claimed nattys. :) Valdosta's last great team came in 1989, when they lost to my Packers 7-0 on the night that '20/20' came calling, to film the winningest team on the planet! SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE! We made um CRY THAT night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***smile*** PROBABLY cost them yet ANOTHER natty. They went through the playoffs like a knife through butter, beating Clarke Central in Athens in the finals 33-7, to finish 14-1.

Since that time, Valdosta proper has gradually become an inner city, with many inner city issues. Many of the old Wildcat families have since trekked into the county, and now send their kids to the evil horde at LOWNDES, with its 2800 student enrollment. HOPEFULLY, I didn't get too political. If I did, I apologize!
its stinking high school football dude.

did they figure out that the kid stuffed in the wrestling mat was murdered?

You folks SHOULD have matched up with them CATS before 1993, to get the full flavor of that black and gold! They are a shadow of their ole self. I can remember in 1968, when FSU's head coach wanted to sign their WHOLE D line! They had given up SIX points in ten regular season games.
so what its stinking high school football not the NFL.

APPARENTLY, they didn't recruit enough out of district players! Justice Haynes wasn't quite enough. But after Mill Creek got the lead out after their loss to Buford in regular season. They went WIIIIIIILD! They beat Carrollton with their Freshman QB1 phenom, 70-35 in the 7A finals! The most points scored EVER in a GHSA final.
I know, what Mill Creek did was absolutely insane but they definitely weren't as talented as Buford. TBH when I saw Haynes play I never came away overly impressed. He's definitely not a 5 star IMO.

I hope the powers to be make this classic an annual event. I hope Massillon gets behind it and makes it a festival type atmosphere. Encourage people to visit, stay, go to the pro football hall of fame, Paul Brown museum, visit Amish country, go to the bars and restaurants downtown, etc.

I know, what Mill Creek did was absolutely insane but they definitely weren't as talented as Buford. TBH when I saw Haynes play I never came away overly impressed. He's definitely not a 5 star IMO.
He was supposedly a legacy player for UGA! And THEN, he was enticed to sign with the Gumps! He probably saw the handwriting on the wall. The kid from my high school who plays now, (Daijun Edwards) was a four star ALL American. And he is just a rotational player, along with Kendall Milton and Branson Robinson. HECK, Will Anderson only have played for the Gumps, because he was passed over by UGA! We had four future NFL players at LBer already.(He's from Dutchtown, Ga.) And the Gumps starting RB is from Dalton.

I hope the powers to be make this classic an annual event. I hope Massillon gets behind it and makes it a festival type atmosphere. Encourage people to visit, stay, go to the pro football hall of fame, Paul Brown museum, visit Amish country, go to the bars and restaurants downtown, etc.
And on that reciprocal visit to Mercedes Benz Stadium for the Corky Kell Classic, you folks can visit the College Football Hall of Fame! ;)

And when you come to DEATH VALLEY at Valdosta. You can visit the WILDCAT MUSEUM, located in the Valdosta endzone.

Why are you here? Go away if you think high school athletics are meaningless.
In the SOUTH, the NFL is a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arthur Blank is on our SHEEEEAAAT LIST! He threw the GHSA out of the Mercedes Benz for the state finals, by increasing the stadium fee from $250,000 to $600,000! And he ain't received a Christmas Card since. And Jerry Jones charges ONE DOLLAR for the Jerry Dome!

And can you believe that THAT talent all comes from a school of 1100 students? They need to bottle THAT water in Buford! 🤣

He was supposedly a legacy player for UGA! And THEN, he was enticed to sign with the Gumps! He probably saw the handwriting on the wall. The kid from my high school who plays now, (Daijun Edwards) was a four star ALL American. And he is just a rotational player, along with Kendall Milton and Branson Robinson. HECK, Will Anderson only have played for the Gumps, because he was passed over by UGA! We had four future NFL players at LBer already.(He's from Dutchtown, Ga.) And the Gumps starting RB is from Dalton.
Alabama is just a recruiting machine and still are considered a local school for Georgia players so it's easy for them to recruit your state.

And on that reciprocal visit to Mercedes Benz Stadium for the Corky Kell Classic, you folks can visit the College Football Hall of Fame! ;)

And when you come to DEATH VALLEY at Valdosta. You can visit the WILDCAT MUSEUM, located in the Valdosta endzone.
Sorry, there is but 1 Death Valley and its in Baton Rouge !! Geaux Tigers !!!

Can’t wait to see Massillon at Steubenville again. Anyone at either school who is against this game happening every year is robbing both communities of an amazing experience each year.
Why do think the 2 schools haven’t played since 2015?

It’s very peculiar that someone would be on a high school sports forum when they think that high school athletics are meaningless
Not to mention constantly saying the same thing over and over again. I don’t know of anyone on here that thinks winning a state title is worth millions of dollars, but to say it means nothing is just ignorant.

Says the guy who thinks Ohio St will be losing 3-4 games on a yearly basis in a couple years. 😂

Why do think the 2 schools haven’t played since 2015?
Before expanded playoffs, I would have guessed to ensure both teams qualify for the state playoffs. Now I would say Reno is a coward. No one can claim Massillon who plays Moeller, Ed’s, Iggy, Valdosta, Pick Central and McKinley would shy away from a big game. Then again maybe East Liverpool and assorted WV tin cans are tougher than I imagined.

Last edited:
Before expanded playoffs, I would have guessed to ensure both teams qualify for the state playoffs. Now I would stay Reno is a coward. No one can claim Massillon who plays Moeller, Ed’s, Iggy, Valdosta, Pick Central and McKinley would shy away from a big game. Then again maybe East Liverpool and assorted WV tin cans are tougher than I imagined.
There is no reason for the Tigers to play teams in the lower divisions. Let the river rats play teams from WV and we will continue to compete with the likes of Moeller, Ed’s, Valdosta etc.

In the SOUTH, the NFL is a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arthur Blank is on our SHEEEEAAAT LIST! He threw the GHSA out of the Mercedes Benz for the state finals, by increasing the stadium fee from $250,000 to $600,000! And he ain't received a Christmas Card since. And Jerry Jones charges ONE DOLLAR for the Jerry Dome!
First, what Blank did to the GHSA was awful. But I've been to titles at Georgia State and it's been okay.

Secondly, don't be fooled by Jerry Jones. He collects nothing in rent, but collects a portion on all tickets sold, collects ALL concessions and parking fees. It's $20 to park at Jerry World. And you can figure what the concessions are.

Other than the Covid year, he's made a ridiculous amount of money on the UIL finals. Enough people in Texas have compared the Houston proposal to the Cowboys proposal for the finals, and most years Houston would make more money. But Houston wants rent money up front, and it's worse than what Georgia wants. However, at the end of the weekend, they'd have more money from tickets than Texas charges. Concessions and parking are still only for the host, not the UIL.