Massillon Tigers to play Valdosta in NE Ohio Classic

Now that's just ridiculous. This team leads the country in victories. Valdosta's tradition is a as rich if not more so than Massillons. This game will not be anything they are not accustomed to. If Massillon is not fully prepared, they will get punched in the nose and lose.
You're missing my point and I'm not disagreeing with you about the Valdosta games results. The game-day and in-game atmosphere there is nothing to what Massillon and its atmosphere of the fireworks, band, introductions and the fans will offer as a home field advantage against them. I've been to Valdosta for a number of games and there'a no comparison, none... Valdosta's Cleveland Field seats just over 11,000 and their main rival, Lowndes High School's stadium just about 12,000.
Massillon will show them who's boss.
Now for the football part, good luck because they are big and they are fast typically every year.

You're missing my point and I'm not disagreeing with you about the Valdosta games results. The game-day and in-game atmosphere there is nothing to what Massillon and its atmosphere of the fireworks, band, introductions and the fans will offer as a home field advantage against them. I've been to Valdosta for a number of games and there'a no comparison, none... Valdosta's Cleveland Field seats just over 11,000 and their main rival, Lowndes High School's stadium just about 12,000.
Massillon will show them who's boss.
Now for the football part, good luck because they are big and they are fast typically every year.
The lowndes game from last year is on YouTube and was absolutely packed. Looked like an electric atmosphere

JLP, I made no comment about Massillon's week one opponent. None... until now...
Valdosta is very familiar with long-standing rivalry games and the big time atmospheres that go with them but they are no way ready for what will hit them in Massillon.
Never said you did. My statement was directed at the comments made by 2 scent....based on McKinley's numbers that you posted.... (running through the fed....but barely .500 against non conference opponents) is something I've been talking about for years and something that any mckinley fan should want addressed above worrying about who Massillon has played, is playing or will play.

Interesting story from 2014.
https://www.valdostadailytimes.com/...cle_c19a07fb-5ec5-54b6-a6a7-d6c2731ce095.html

Interesting information from this article from 2006, (Updated in 2014).

——————--2006——————2022———————
Valdosta———-828——————-944———————(WINS)
Massillon———767——————-932———————(WINS)
Impressive rundown there. If this continues, we'll surpass them in 4(ish) years.

Maybe a little to early but will Game 1 be part of the season ticket package? I was thinking no because it wont be a actual Massillon home game. And how about any word on the cost of the ticket. Thanks and GO TIGERS

Yeah I would hate it if they put us Cincinnati or Toledo those would be long drives for early round games. :rolleyes:

I (and most) DO wish there were a few better teams in Stark County though. Seriously. Props to Lake they played us tough and short-handed.
Guy must be a Hoban fan, since the expansion back to 4 regions in d1 there's only been 1 year Massillon didn't play in R7 and that was the year we beat Hoban for the region, so....yeah, I'd say it IS a Godsend for them.

This will be an interesting game and not sure why Ohio doesn’t do more games likes this. Great for kids and for football in our State. Good Luck Massillon!
Why?

I wish Ohio did more of this but don't hold your breath.

Ohio is a very provincial, political place afraid of its own shadow. Ohio doesn't like pushing the envelope in anything.

Ohio is run by Wes Lexner, Nationwide Insurance, teachers unions, Huntington Bank, Forest City Enterprises, Virginia Ragan (The Greif Company), First Energy, the Lindner family and the Ohio Chamber of Commerce. And a few others.

Private schools in Ohio have big influence over the Ohio Legislative body and OHSAA due to huge amounts of Catholics in suburban Cleveland, Cincinnata, Dayton, Toledo and Akron/Canton. Columbus...a little bit...but not much....yet.

The Ohio House and Senate don't want to deal with it.

Ohio had a damn orgasm when the Buckeyes played an average 9-4 Notre Dame team this past season.

Ohio can't run its own affairs let alone manage out of state affairs.

Ohio powerhouse schools have little reason to play each other let alone out of state teams. You'd think Ohio schools and Pittsburgh would play a ton....but they don't.

Le League Federale of Stark County used the failed Gannett media print outlets and Joe Palmisano of 1480 WHBC for years telling all of us how "tuff" they were.

Yet when it came to playing Boardman and Austintown in suburban Mahoning County which borders Stark County and is only about one hour away....the tuffs in Stark County ran away.

Woody Hayes was brilliant on many levels and he avoided playing Notre Dame because he didn't want to deal with the unmitigated bovine scat (BS) from many of his Ohio residents.

Ohio is epitomized by Liddle Mikey DeRINO. Weak and corporate.

99.8% of Ohio public schools don't want to push the envelope. It's just like their sad leadership.

Massillon is a rare exception and hell I don't even agree with all of the Tiger decisions but I admire the courage.

To quote Lendale White despite the Harry Stuhldreyer and Knute Rockne connection to Massillon (which is historically greater than any Ohio parochial team).....Notre Dame sucks.

Oh yeah...Ara Parseghian of Notre Dame grew up in the southern part of Summit County and admired the Paul Brown Massillon Tigers. He wasn't glued to his radio listening to Joe Palmisano or Pam Koch.

Go Tigers and always be sand in the gears of the machine!

Last edited:
Everyone in Ohio should be a Massillon Tiger fan in this game. We get caught up in the public-private debate constantly, it's good to have a team from Ohio that I know can beat a Georgia team that gets all the recognition nationally.
Yup. I always support the Ohio kids. Should be some great matchups

Valdosta passed us somewhere between 600 and 700

https://massillontigers.com/1985/09/13/1985-Massillon-34-warren-harding-0/

The Massillon Tigers will host the Valdosta Wildcats on August 18th at Paul Brown Tiger Stadium. This will be the first of 4 games at the N.E. Ohio Classic on August 18 & 19th.
Valdosta was a decent team in 2022. They started the season with two wins against South Florida teams, culminating in a seven game winning streak going into region play. They then beat Richmond Hill, but then went on a two game skid going into the playoffs, before losing by two scores to Cam Newton's alma mater Atlanta Westlake. They had a pretty good D last season, but struggled to score against good competition. They lost 24-6 at home to my 7A state semifinalist Colquitt Co. Packers.

Valdosta was a decent team in 2022. They started the season with two wins against South Florida teams, culminating in a seven game winning streak going into region play. They then beat Richmond Hill, but then went on a two game skid going into the playoffs, before losing by two scores to Cam Newton's alma mater Atlanta Westlake. They had a pretty good D last season, but struggled to score against good competition. They lost 24-6 at home to my 7A state semifinalist Colquitt Co. Packers.
Still can't believe Buford lost in the playoffs, I saw them play twice in person last season and did not think after they hammered Mill Creek they would lose.

I don't see the Cats hanging onto their lead as winningest team in the country, for very much longer! It seems as though those two Ky. teams NEVER lose! And VHS plays in arguably the toughest region in America. And with Georgia going to six classifications in the near future instead of seven. That task of compiling more wins will get even more difficult! The lower classification that they will merge with, includes two or three teams who recruit, and can play with anyone.

Still can't believe Buford lost in the playoffs, I saw them play twice in person last season and did not think after they hammered Mill Creek they would lose.
APPARENTLY, they didn't recruit enough out of district players! Justice Haynes wasn't quite enough. But after Mill Creek got the lead out after their loss to Buford in regular season. They went WIIIIIIILD! They beat Carrollton with their Freshman QB1 phenom, 70-35 in the 7A finals! The most points scored EVER in a GHSA final.

Why?

I wish Ohio did more of this but don't hold your breath.

Ohio is a very provincial, political place afraid of its own shadow. Ohio doesn't like pushing the envelope in anything.

Ohio is run by Wes Lexner, Nationwide Insurance, teachers unions, Huntington Bank, Forest City Enterprises, Virginia Ragan (The Greif Company), First Energy, the Lindner family and the Ohio Chamber of Commerce. And a few others.

Private schools in Ohio have big influence over the Ohio Legislative body and OHSAA due to huge amounts of Catholics in suburban Cleveland, Cincinnata, Dayton, Toledo and Akron/Canton. Columbus...a little bit...but not much....yet.

The Ohio House and Senate don't want to deal with it.

Ohio had a damn orgasm when the Buckeyes played an average 9-4 Notre Dame team this past season.

Ohio can't run its own affairs let alone manage out of state affairs.

Ohio powerhouse schools have little reason to play each other let alone out of state teams. You'd think Ohio schools and Pittsburgh would play a ton....but they don't.

Le League Federale of Stark County used the failed Gannett media print outlets and Joe Palmisano of 1480 WHBC for years telling all of us how "tuff" they were.

Yet when it came to playing Boardman and Austintown in suburban Mahoning County which borders Stark County and is only about one hour away....the tuffs in Stark County ran away.

Woody Hayes was brilliant on many levels and he avoided playing Notre Dame because he didn't want to deal with the unmitigated bovine scat (BS) from many of his Ohio residents.

Ohio is epitomized by Liddle Mikey DeRINO. Weak and corporate.

99.8% of Ohio public schools don't want to push the envelope. It's just like their sad leadership.

Massillon is a rare exception and hell I don't even agree with all of the Tiger decisions but I admire the courage.

To quote Lendale White despite the Harry Stuhldreyer and Knute Rockne connection to Massillon (which is historically greater than any Ohio parochial team).....Notre Dame sucks.

Oh yeah...Ara Parseghian of Notre Dame grew up in the southern part of Summit County and admired the Paul Brown Massillon Tigers. He wasn't glued to his radio listening to Joe Palmisano or Pam Koch.

Go Tigers and always be sand in the gears of the machine!
Oh this guy is a real genius, knows everything.

Woody Hayes didn't play notre Dame because he knew they would whip his butt.

WTF is Lendale White?

Its high school football dude and the Federal League serves its purpose to save the members tons of money. Being "tough" in high school football is nothing but a waste of time and money: you don't win anything by winning the tournament or do you think the winning school gets $1,000,000 or something. the winner of the football tournament gets the same thing as any other tournament such as bowling or girls lacrosse or girls softball..
1674397949625.png

In fact the winner of the OHSAA Esports Tournament wins exactly the same thing as the winner of the D1 football tournament
1674399160198.png

They are handing out the same style trophies as its 28 sanctioned sports all of which get nothing but a worthless trophy.

yeah you're a real genius. words of wisdom. and who the F is Lendale White? Who cares what Lendale White said?

Yup. I always support the Ohio kids. Should be some great matchups
UMMMMMMMMMMMMM, HOW do you folks know that Massillon would win? I went to that lil town in 2002, on my way back from watching IGGY vs Erie Cathedral Prep. in Parma. And took a tour of Paul Brown Stadium, conducted by one of the local diehards. He was talking about them playing Valdosta back then. Sadly, he didn't live long enough to see it come to fruition. I couldn't believe that they have TWO high schools.

But in your defense, Valdosta is NOT NEARLY the Valdosta of old. When I was in high school, they were a national power, with six natty's from 1960-1986, after actually winning a state championship on the field, unlike teams in some OTHER states I know of who claimed nattys. :) Valdosta's last great team came in 1989, when they lost to my Packers 7-0 on the night that '20/20' came calling, to film the winningest team on the planet! SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE! We made um CRY THAT night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***smile*** PROBABLY cost them yet ANOTHER natty. They went through the playoffs like a knife through butter, beating Clarke Central in Athens in the finals 33-7, to finish 14-1.

Since that time, Valdosta proper has gradually become an inner city, with many inner city issues. Many of the old Wildcat families have since trekked into the county, and now send their kids to the evil horde at LOWNDES, with its 2800 student enrollment. HOPEFULLY, I didn't get too political. If I did, I apologize!

We've all been. Waiting for this for years.
I hope our Tigers are ready. Those Georgia boys can play ball.
You folks SHOULD have matched up with them CATS before 1993, to get the full flavor of that black and gold! They are a shadow of their ole self. I can remember in 1968, when FSU's head coach wanted to sign their WHOLE D line! They had given up SIX points in ten regular season games.