Massillon Tigers - “A Season Without Punting” - Paul Brown - Which Season???

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeopardNation

This has made me curious for years and I’ve never been able to figure it out! In the Massillon Tradition video Paul Brown distinctly says

“In fact we played one season without punting…” at the 0:35-0:39

Which season is it? Or was this quote pulled out of context maybe something like “In fact we played one season without punting…” “until we played McKinley” perhaps in an interview/discussion about the rivalry.

Does anyone have the full interview with this quote in it in full context?

In 1935 they outscored opponents 483-13. Two teams scored.

In 1936 they outscored opponents 443-14. Two teams scored.

In 1940 they outscored opponents 477-6. Mck scored once.

Can’t say definitively if they did or didn’t punt but with that kind of dominance I’m not sure why some think it’s so implausible that they may have not had to punt.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it’s in there in the cumulative season stats and shows number of punts I’d like for someone to post it cause I must be missing something or looking in the wrong place.

If I remember correctly some of the voice of Paul Brown came from a speaking engagement taped a few years before he past away. I think it was at a Tiger football banquet. He was in his late 70’s at the time. Some of the other quotes he made in the video were from many years earlier.

Last edited:
So it’s been almost a day now and no evidence has been given to support Paul Brown’s quote.
I would assume this never happened, right?

If I remember correctly some of the voice of Paul Brown came from a speaking engagement taped a few years before he past away. I think it was at a Tiger football banquet. He was in his late 70’s at the time. Some of the other quotes he made in the video were from many years earlier.
if anyone has this audio I’d love to hear the quote in context.

I’m still going through, debunked it for about half the years he was coaching. Now it has me wondering though…could he be referring to a year he played for Massillon instead?

Probably because nobody on here was alive back then when it supposedly happened. Paul Brown made the statement why don't you call his son and ask him if it bothers you that bad.
Is it hard for you to say World War I, the Civil War, or the American Revolution happened because there's no one alive from when they "supposedly" happened? :rolleyes:

It's documented for anyone that can read.

No one is that dumb. That's insulting.

Is it hard for you to say World War I, the Civil War, or the American Revolution happened because there's no one alive from when they "supposedly" happened? :rolleyes:

Yet you seem to be so overly concerned about it that you have to keep sending me private messages about it. Weird !!!
As LeopardNation has already said the quote could very well have been taken out of context, but until someone can get on here and give us the full audio of that interview I guess you will continue to obsess over it….. as usual. ?

?

Yet you seem to be so overly concerned about it that you have to keep sending me private messages about it. Weird !!!
As LeopardNation has already said the quote could very well have been taken out of context, but until someone can get on here and give us the full audio of that interview I guess you will continue to obsess over it….. as usual. ?
Only in reply to your messages! Don't send a message if you don't want a reply. ?‍?

Context or not, are you able to say that none of the teams Brown coached at Massillon went a full season without punting?

Only in reply to your messages! Don't send a message if you don't want a reply. ?‍?

Context or not, are you able to say that none of the teams Brown coached at Massillon went a full season without punting?
Are you able to say it isn’t true ? If not then why continue to babble on about it ?

I don’t understand why anyone thinks this is just completely unattainable anyway…. In 93’ the Tigers only punted 12 times in 12 games and that team went 10-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.