Massillon FOOTBALL 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the irony of people getting mad when kids MOVE to Massillon but then they don’t care about about kids commuting to private schools two counties away ?

Not irony, jealousy and obsession. Hoban/LaSalle/Iggy/Ed etc won how many of last 10 and could win the next 10, and you'd never hear a peep from FL fans. Gotta crawl before you can walk. Great programs btw. Kids from all over btw. Is what it is, deal w/ it.

Bad move to go to St V? Got his offer from Kent State while he was on the Irish football team, gained 1,377 yards in 2017 and led his team to the state semi finals. Looks like it was a pretty good move for Terrance to start his HS career with the Irish.

Guess he meant like choosing Iggy over Ed 4 years ago was a bad move (?). Idk but not a smart statement. St. V is a great school and program obviously.

Guess he meant like choosing Iggy over Ed 4 years ago was a bad move (?). Idk but not a smart statement. St. V is a great school and program obviously.
Athletically from a football standpoint not at all ... when your looking to go to college to play football and your not getting the recognition you want ... no one said STVM wasn’t a great school .. but as far as trying to get exposure on an offense that couldn’t pass the ball while he was there .. and he was getting ran like a 225lb back ... it wasn’t good for him STVM hasn’t been the same since the state championships

Bad move to go to St V? Got his offer from Kent State while he was on the Irish football team, gained 1,377 yards in 2017 and led his team to the state semi finals. Looks like it was a pretty good move for Terrance to start his HS career with the Irish.
It not saying much Getting an Offer from Kent State when people who knew the kid knows he was looking for me ... he left STVM for that reason .... There is a reason a few kids left STVM in there time there and transferred out .. he leaves STVM as. Has the best season of his career on a bigger stage while sharing carries ... compared to Soohmore year rushing for 1300 and 16 tds having to carry the ball 30 times a game and barely getting over 100 yards ... doesn’t look good on film when you want to go college and be elite

Last edited:
Not irony, jealousy and obsession. Hoban/LaSalle/Iggy/Ed etc won how many of last 10 and could win the next 10, and you'd never hear a peep from FL fans. Gotta crawl before you can walk. Great programs btw. Kids from all over btw. Is what it is, deal w/ it.

Exactly. I am not a fan of kids moving around and used to be concerned about it to some extent, but the kids are doing what the system allows them to do. When the rules change or the OHSAA decides to give a ****, then I may go back to being concerned about it. Until then, like you say, it is what it is.

Exactly. I am not a fan of kids moving around and used to be concerned about it to some extent, but the kids are doing what the system allows them to do. When the rules change or the OHSAA decides to give a ****, then I may go back to being concerned about it. Until then, like you say, it is what it is.

Well they kinda give a ****. Up to 3 point penalty. Ineligible half the season and playoffs. Seems fairly harsh imo. That was supposed to satisfy and appease that crowd. Though reading these boards it hardly made a dent, lol.

Athletically from a football standpoint not at all ... when your looking to go to college to play football and your not getting the recognition you want ... no one said STVM wasn’t a great school .. but as far as trying to get exposure on an offense that couldn’t pass the ball while he was there .. and he was getting ran like a 225lb back ... it wasn’t good for him STVM hasn’t been the same since the state championships
2017 state semi finals....playoffs in 2019....sophomore running back ran for 1,171 yards last year.....program is just fine. Not easy to win state championships every year...but that is the goal. Terrance got great exposure at St V...thus the reason he got the offer from Kent State.

I wonder what happened ..... from middle school you thought he was next in line to go to OSU .... but going to STVM was a bad move ... I understand why he did it ... but STVM fell off soon as his class arrived there
Keyes is very talented but absolutely nobody outside of his family thought he was next in line to go to OSU. He is absolutely Div-1 material but he was never big enough to be projected as next in line at OSU during the Urban era, thats a pretty bold statement. Not taking anything away from him because he will do great things at the next level but this statement is outrageous to anybody that follows football in NEO.

Respectfully stated and couldn't agree more Thurgood. Granted middle school potential is always higher than hs. I remember my son pitched a no-hitter in 5th grade and I was already thinking potential scholarship, lol.

Keyes is very talented but absolutely nobody outside of his family thought he was next in line to go to OSU. He is absolutely Div-1 material but he was never big enough to be projected as next in line at OSU during the Urban era, thats a pretty bold statement. Not taking anything away from him because he will do great things at the next level but this statement is outrageous to anybody that follows football in NEO.
BUT, where is he going? #82 keeps mentioning Kent State but according to them, he's not going there. ?‍♂️ Why the secrecy?

I don’t think you read what I said fully through ... I said people that saw him during middle school

2017 state semi finals....playoffs in 2019....sophomore running back ran for 1,171 yards last year.....program is just fine. Not easy to win state championships every year...but that is the goal. Terrance got great exposure at St V...thus the reason he got the offer from Kent State.
His offer came at KSU camp after 40 yd dash runs

I don’t think you read what I said fully through ... I said people that saw him during middle school
No I read it and watched him in middle school he played against my nephews. I heard you loud and clear. Out of all the Akron backs I did not see OSU. In my mind if Tyson Gulley or Tyrell Sutton wasn't OSU material there was no way you legitimately thought this kid was just due to his size. Now granted Keyes, Trayanum, and Hubbard (moved to AZ after frosh year) were always the future at RB. This Akron class was always meant to be special. Once again the kid is niiiiiiice but never at any point being from Akron at Patterson Park did I ever envision him at OSU.

Hate to derail thread but just for a moment Thurgood75 cuz I bet you seen alot of great ones from Akron. Following Massillon since mid-70's the only 3 no brainers I can say were Gladman, Powers, and Wells. And Larry Ricks if you count Barberton. That's including Woodridge, Winfield (as a rb), Pittman, and even Sutton as gawdy as his numbers were. All GREAT backs. But when you are talking OSU you're talking ELITE company.

Where am I wrong or who am I missing? (I do know about Larry Poole but just missed getting to see him).

Hate to derail thread but just for a moment Thurgood75 cuz I bet you seen alot of great ones from Akron. Following Massillon since mid-70's the only 3 no brainers I can say were Gladman, Powers, and Wells. And Larry Ricks if you count Barberton. That's including Woodridge, Winfield (as a rb), Pittman, and even Sutton as gawdy as his numbers were. All GREAT backs. But when you are talking OSU you're talking ELITE company.

Where am I wrong or who am I missing? (I do know about Larry Poole but just missed getting to see him).

You forgot one very big, more recent one- Parris Campbell.

I was never a huge fan of Wells, though people much father up the football food than me as a mere fan sure liked him.

Poole was very good but not on the level of some of the others you mentioned.

Gladman the best I ever saw in high school from that area. Single-handedly carried Garfield over Massillon with our greatest player ever on the other side of the line. SO much respect for him.
Yes. I was there . Unstoppable

Gladman the best I ever saw in high school from that area. Single-handedly carried Garfield over Massillon with our greatest player ever on the other side of the line. SO much respect for him.

The kid had it all, speed and power. Went to Pitt and while he was there was declared ineligible due to a relationship. Ended up in the USFL and I believe he blew out a knee and was never the same. Had a very brief NFL stint with the Bucs.

Remember the name Eric Finn, in both 83’ and 84’ we couldn’t have stopped him with 15 guys on D. In 83’ with Gladman it was a 1-2 punch and in 84’ Finn was a one man wrecking ball. Those Garfield teams were incredible with McGee at the helm.

You guys remember Marcus Sanders from Ravenna? That kid was a special high school back

No I read it and watched him in middle school he played against my nephews. I heard you loud and clear. Out of all the Akron backs I did not see OSU. In my mind if Tyson Gulley or Tyrell Sutton wasn't OSU material there was no way you legitimately thought this kid was just due to his size. Now granted Keyes, Trayanum, and Hubbard (moved to AZ after frosh year) were always the future at RB. This Akron class was always meant to be special. Once again the kid is niiiiiiice but never at any point being from Akron at Patterson Park did I ever envision him at OSU.
Do you think with offenses now do you think Tyrell could be a OSU take ?! ... me personally I do just for the zone read ... but I don’t know how fast Tyrell was “actually” I don’t know if he was more quick then fast or not ..I wish Tyson would have chosen corner back long term but I understand why he stayed at RB ... I watched that 8th grade All star game at STVM ... I think Terrance peaked early

Do you think with offenses now do you think Tyrell could be a OSU take ?! ... me personally I do just for the zone read ... but I don’t know how fast Tyrell was “actually” I don’t know if he was more quick then fast or not ..I wish Tyson would have chosen corner back long term but I understand why he stayed at RB ... I watched that 8th grade All star game at STVM ... I think Terrance peaked early

Sutton is a ball player flat but his straight line speed is not comparable to a lot of the other guys. I ran track with him he's very fast but not on the same level as Pittman or Wells. Plus they had Mo Wells who was a faster slightly thicker Florida version of Sutton. Sutton was never bound for OSU because of Beanie IMO even though they were a year apart he would have never been a feature back.

Tyson's heart was at RB. I remember meeting him at a camp at Joy Park and his heart was solely set on RB at the next level. I thought him and brother would have been some very good Corners at the next level.

That 8th grade all star game was special. The 7th and 8th grade classes that participated in the MKU all star games are doing big things right now. The main thing I think that hurt Keyes was the change in coaching staff. His body type was not meant to run 42 Iso out the I formation 25 times a game. I felt like they never did a good enough job at ST. V getting him in space under Whatley and Nichols. Now I'm a Buchtel guy so I didn't watch a lot of his games. But I never was impressed how they used him the handful of games that I attended.

Sutton is a ball player flat but his straight line speed is not comparable to a lot of the other guys. I ran track with him he's very fast but not on the same level as Pittman or Wells. Plus they had Mo Wells who was a faster slightly thicker Florida version of Sutton. Sutton was never bound for OSU because of Beanie IMO even though they were a year apart he would have never been a feature back.

Tyson's heart was at RB. I remember meeting him at a camp at Joy Park and his heart was solely set on RB at the next level. I thought him and brother would have been some very good Corners at the next level.

That 8th grade all star game was special. The 7th and 8th grade classes that participated in the MKU all star games are doing big things right now. The main thing I think that hurt Keyes was the change in coaching staff. His body type was not meant to run 42 Iso out the I formation 25 times a game. I felt like they never did a good enough job at ST. V getting him in space under Whatley and Nichols. Now I'm a Buchtel guy so I didn't watch a lot of his games. But I never was impressed how they used him the handful of games that I attended.
I’m still baffled by the city series right now .. I get it but I hate it .. back I. The early 2000’s it seemed a lot of teams were thriving ... There were so many players I played with an against who now that I look back .. I thought we’re going to go all the way ... played against Beanie, Pittman, Sutton , Ramon Mendoza , Joe Copeland , played with Charles Peterson , all the Swains , Arthur Thomas the list goes on endless ... back when everyone played for either West or South ... so much talent and it seemed after I moved away for college and so fourth the talent just drained out ... I don’t know if Football isn’t taken as seriously anymore or all the kids are trying to go to STVM and Hoban.... I remember Walsh was a good team and few of my friends went out there to play ... now I’m seeing them go 0-10 ..... I can’t believe it ...

I was at one of Beanie Wells games as a high school senior when the entire world was fawning over him. One thing that sticks withe me to this day was that his team was warming up stretching , etc. with everyone in line and the captains out front. While this was going on, he was off to the side, neither up front as a captain or in the line as a team member. Just off to the side doing his own thing.

Welcome to the Akron Football Memory thread. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.