Massillon FOOTBALL 2020

TigerPaw

Hate to derail thread but just for a moment Thurgood75 cuz I bet you seen alot of great ones from Akron. Following Massillon since mid-70's the only 3 no brainers I can say were Gladman, Powers, and Wells. And Larry Ricks if you count Barberton. That's including Woodridge, Winfield (as a rb), Pittman, and even Sutton as gawdy as his numbers were. All GREAT backs. But when you are talking OSU you're talking ELITE company.

Where am I wrong or who am I missing? (I do know about Larry Poole but just missed getting to see him).

clarkgriswold

Hate to derail thread but just for a moment Thurgood75 cuz I bet you seen alot of great ones from Akron. Following Massillon since mid-70's the only 3 no brainers I can say were Gladman, Powers, and Wells. And Larry Ricks if you count Barberton. That's including Woodridge, Winfield (as a rb), Pittman, and even Sutton as gawdy as his numbers were. All GREAT backs. But when you are talking OSU you're talking ELITE company.

Where am I wrong or who am I missing? (I do know about Larry Poole but just missed getting to see him).
You forgot one very big, more recent one- Parris Campbell.

I was never a huge fan of Wells, though people much father up the football food than me as a mere fan sure liked him.

Poole was very good but not on the level of some of the others you mentioned.

clarkgriswold

Gladman the best I ever saw in high school from that area. Single-handedly carried Garfield over Massillon with our greatest player ever on the other side of the line. SO much respect for him.
The kid had it all, speed and power. Went to Pitt and while he was there was declared ineligible due to a relationship. Ended up in the USFL and I believe he blew out a knee and was never the same. Had a very brief NFL stint with the Bucs.

Massillon#82

Gladman the best I ever saw in high school from that area. Single-handedly carried Garfield over Massillon with our greatest player ever on the other side of the line. SO much respect for him.
Remember the name Eric Finn, in both 83’ and 84’ we couldn’t have stopped him with 15 guys on D. In 83’ with Gladman it was a 1-2 punch and in 84’ Finn was a one man wrecking ball. Those Garfield teams were incredible with McGee at the helm.

You guys remember Marcus Sanders from Ravenna? That kid was a special high school back

Bowtiethatguy

No I read it and watched him in middle school he played against my nephews. I heard you loud and clear. Out of all the Akron backs I did not see OSU. In my mind if Tyson Gulley or Tyrell Sutton wasn't OSU material there was no way you legitimately thought this kid was just due to his size. Now granted Keyes, Trayanum, and Hubbard (moved to AZ after frosh year) were always the future at RB. This Akron class was always meant to be special. Once again the kid is niiiiiiice but never at any point being from Akron at Patterson Park did I ever envision him at OSU.
Do you think with offenses now do you think Tyrell could be a OSU take ?! ... me personally I do just for the zone read ... but I don’t know how fast Tyrell was “actually” I don’t know if he was more quick then fast or not ..I wish Tyson would have chosen corner back long term but I understand why he stayed at RB ... I watched that 8th grade All star game at STVM ... I think Terrance peaked early

Do you think with offenses now do you think Tyrell could be a OSU take ?! ... me personally I do just for the zone read ... but I don’t know how fast Tyrell was “actually” I don’t know if he was more quick then fast or not ..I wish Tyson would have chosen corner back long term but I understand why he stayed at RB ... I watched that 8th grade All star game at STVM ... I think Terrance peaked early
Sutton is a ball player flat but his straight line speed is not comparable to a lot of the other guys. I ran track with him he's very fast but not on the same level as Pittman or Wells. Plus they had Mo Wells who was a faster slightly thicker Florida version of Sutton. Sutton was never bound for OSU because of Beanie IMO even though they were a year apart he would have never been a feature back.

Tyson's heart was at RB. I remember meeting him at a camp at Joy Park and his heart was solely set on RB at the next level. I thought him and brother would have been some very good Corners at the next level.

That 8th grade all star game was special. The 7th and 8th grade classes that participated in the MKU all star games are doing big things right now. The main thing I think that hurt Keyes was the change in coaching staff. His body type was not meant to run 42 Iso out the I formation 25 times a game. I felt like they never did a good enough job at ST. V getting him in space under Whatley and Nichols. Now I'm a Buchtel guy so I didn't watch a lot of his games. But I never was impressed how they used him the handful of games that I attended.

Bowtiethatguy

Sutton is a ball player flat but his straight line speed is not comparable to a lot of the other guys. I ran track with him he's very fast but not on the same level as Pittman or Wells. Plus they had Mo Wells who was a faster slightly thicker Florida version of Sutton. Sutton was never bound for OSU because of Beanie IMO even though they were a year apart he would have never been a feature back.

Tyson's heart was at RB. I remember meeting him at a camp at Joy Park and his heart was solely set on RB at the next level. I thought him and brother would have been some very good Corners at the next level.

That 8th grade all star game was special. The 7th and 8th grade classes that participated in the MKU all star games are doing big things right now. The main thing I think that hurt Keyes was the change in coaching staff. His body type was not meant to run 42 Iso out the I formation 25 times a game. I felt like they never did a good enough job at ST. V getting him in space under Whatley and Nichols. Now I'm a Buchtel guy so I didn't watch a lot of his games. But I never was impressed how they used him the handful of games that I attended.
I’m still baffled by the city series right now .. I get it but I hate it .. back I. The early 2000’s it seemed a lot of teams were thriving ... There were so many players I played with an against who now that I look back .. I thought we’re going to go all the way ... played against Beanie, Pittman, Sutton , Ramon Mendoza , Joe Copeland , played with Charles Peterson , all the Swains , Arthur Thomas the list goes on endless ... back when everyone played for either West or South ... so much talent and it seemed after I moved away for college and so fourth the talent just drained out ... I don’t know if Football isn’t taken as seriously anymore or all the kids are trying to go to STVM and Hoban.... I remember Walsh was a good team and few of my friends went out there to play ... now I’m seeing them go 0-10 ..... I can’t believe it ...

clarkgriswold

I was at one of Beanie Wells games as a high school senior when the entire world was fawning over him. One thing that sticks withe me to this day was that his team was warming up stretching , etc. with everyone in line and the captains out front. While this was going on, he was off to the side, neither up front as a captain or in the line as a team member. Just off to the side doing his own thing.

Welcome to the Akron Football Memory thread. LOL.

John Lee Pettimore

I was at one of Beanie Wells games as a high school senior when the entire world was fawning over him. One thing that sticks withe me to this day was that his team was warming up stretching , etc. with everyone in line and the captains out front. While this was going on, he was off to the side, neither up front as a captain or in the line as a team member. Just off to the side doing his own thing.

Welcome to the Akron Football Memory thread. LOL.
I'm sure all schools have had a kid or more who have felt they were bigger than the team. Massillon had a kid who transferred out about 5 or 6 years ago who was like that.

John Lee Pettimore

In 2003 Massillon opened the season with their first 3 games being Buchtel, Benedictine and Garfield, so in the first 3 weeks they see, Antonio Pittman (OSU, Saints & Rams)....Ray Williams (Mr. Football, sad ending) and Beanie Wells (OSU, Cardinals). Several weeks later they played Ignatius with Brian Hoyer (MSU, NFL) then ended their season with weeks 8, 9 & 10 bringing in Dayton Chaminade and Javon Ringer (MSU, Titans), Warren and Mario Manningham (Michigan, NY Giants) and McKinley and Ryan Brinson who may have been the most electric player of them all. Pretty impressive lineup of players.

John Lee Pettimore

You are right. The least it should do is improve the weak schedules they play. I’d say step up and call Massillon but that would only weaken our already tough schedule.
🐅💪🏻🐅
It won't improve the weak schedules, allowing 12 teams per region they won't have to change their schedules at all. They could possibly slightly weaken them and still make it. "Get ya cupcakes heya."

Egret

At least he's moved on to Vanderbilt now.
And I wish him the best. Oh, and the father is not crazy at all. Sorry he just wants what is best for his family. Quite frankly, the way they were treated in Massillon was absolutely atrocious. Crap being yelled their way in the stands among other things. And no, this is NOT hearsay. Came straight from the horse's mouth. Happens to be a friend of mine. Best of luck to the boys at Vandy and Alabama.

TigerTailgater12

And I wish him the best. Oh, and the father is not crazy at all. Sorry he just wants what is best for his family. Quite frankly, the way they were treated in Massillon was absolutely atrocious. Crap being yelled their way in the stands among other things. And no, this is NOT hearsay. Came straight from the horse's mouth. Happens to be a friend of mine. Best of luck to the boys at Vandy and Alabama.
He may want the best for his family, but I also witnessed him act less than perfect at times. (Which everyone does at some point in their lives) I wouldn't say he was completely blameless for the situation at Massillon. That being said, I wish him and his family the best!

Massillon#82

You are only hearing it from his side, you weren’t up here to witness it. Of course everyone wants what is best for his family but I have never watched anyone do it that way.

Mackinbiner

You guys are right. Nobody is blameless but this is long, long gone. My final point is that, of course, FatMac's post had absolutely NOTHING to do with the subject at hand. But what's new?
Heff's the one that threw Danny Clark under the bus not me. He was just too mealy-mouthed to name him.

Put the Kool-Aid down and look for another scapegoat.