Mason vs Springboro

PlaySoccer

I always like to see the deserving team move forward in tournament play. Yet, I must say that these clips from the NFHS video shows that Mason should be the team playing tomorrow vs Springboro. Mason scored in the second sudden death overtime. It was taken away by the refs because the linesman called the Mason player offsides. In all the years of playing college ball, I do not see any players offsides. Mason won that game. Photo “A” below shows the position of the mason forward at the time the ball was headed back towards Springboro’s goal. None of Mason’s forwards were offsides. Photo “B”shows the Springboro defender playing the ball. Even if the AR deemed Mason offsides the call should have been reset when the defensive player made a controlled touch without interference. Photo “C” shows the Mason forward winning the ball after Springboro’s defender played it and scoring. Unfortunately, the winning goal was taken away from Mason. Sadly, for the boys…especially the Senior Mason boys, the wrong team moved on in this case.

Attachments

• 9ACAE4A4-7CA4-4123-BA2D-A0AAF0E87DF4.jpeg
    9ACAE4A4-7CA4-4123-BA2D-A0AAF0E87DF4.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 4892AA8A-648D-4BB1-908D-0C5CBCCA235B.jpeg
    4892AA8A-648D-4BB1-908D-0C5CBCCA235B.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 5FCC2ABB-A500-40A5-AB74-85BB165FE490.jpeg
    5FCC2ABB-A500-40A5-AB74-85BB165FE490.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Wow! That has to be hard for Mason team. I understand that refs have a tough job on bang-bang plays. But it is pretty obvious what happened and it wasn’t a bang-bang play. The ball was misplayed by Springboro Dback and it opened the door for Mason player who collected ball and put it in the net. Game over in sudden death. The call was clearly the center refs. Based on the photos, I’d really like to hear center refs explanation of his call.

Last edited:
It's so very frustrating and even with VAR in the highest levels of soccer, things still go south and a team is left feeling like they were screwed. I've always been a believer in there will be bad or missed calls, but you cant let one call define the game (win or loss). Were there other opportunities for Mason to put the game away? Was the first goal they allowed a defensive left down? I didn't watch the game, have no skin in it either.

To me the CR is out of position, if you look at all three frames, he literally is within 1 step. On that play, he has to anticipate where that ball is going and get in better position for what's about to happen. I hope he and the AR had some sort of discussion about the off side call and what should have been a reset and good goal. Again, my opinion is based on these three pic's.

Last edited:
It's so very frustrating and even with VAR in the highest levels of soccer, things still go south and a team is left feeling like they were screwed. I've always been a believer in there will be bad or missed calls, but you cant let one call define the game (win or loss). Were there other opportunities for Mason to put the game away? Was the first goal they allowed a defensive left down? I didn't watch the game, have no skin in it either.

To me the CR is out of position, if you look at all three frames, he literally is within 1 step. On that plan, he has to anticipate where that ball is going and get in better position for what's about to happen. I hope he and the AR had some sort of discussion about the off side call and what should have been a reset and good goal. Again, my opinion is based on these three pic's.
CR and AR had no conversation. CR waved off goal.

There is an Official’s shortage in EVERY OHSAA Sport! Quit hiding behind the computer,grow a pair and sign up to become a Soccer Official!

There is an Official’s shortage in EVERY OHSAA Sport! Quit hiding behind the computer,grow a pair and sign up to become a Soccer Official!
I am. We make mistakes. But when reffing a tournament game in sudden death you don’t waive off a sudden death goal WITHOUT consulting one another. If we are going to ref the big games, we need to be in position before taking away a game winning goal. The mason boys were in position and scored.

I always like to see the deserving team move forward in tournament play. Yet, I must say that these clips from the NFHS video shows that Mason should be the team playing tomorrow vs Springboro. Mason scored in the second sudden death overtime. It was taken away by the refs because the linesman called the Mason player offsides. In all the years of playing college ball, I do not see any players offsides. Mason won that game. Photo “A” below shows the position of the mason forward at the time the ball was headed back towards Springboro’s goal. None of Mason’s forwards were offsides. Photo “B”shows the Springboro defender playing the ball. Even if the AR deemed Mason offsides the call should have been reset when the defensive player made a controlled touch without interference. Photo “C” shows the Mason forward winning the ball after Springboro’s defender played it and scoring. Unfortunately, the winning goal was taken away from Mason. Sadly, for the boys…especially the Senior Mason boys, the wrong team moved on in this case.
Isn't having a 70 -80 year old ref crew in late tournament games AWESOME?

The Bay-CVCA game I was at was awful too. If Bay had finished a of their chances the CVCA folks would have lost their minds. This guy was 10 yards behind everything.

The coaches I talk to that is their biggest beef, offsides.

The Bay-CVCA game I was at was awful too. If Bay had finished a of their chances the CVCA folks would have lost their minds. This guy was 10 yards behind everything.

The issue is the OHSAA ref assignors. They assign games based on seniority not capabilities ( and definitely don’t check for conflicts of interest!). With these state level games the goal differentials are so low, having a non partial capable ref crew makes a huge difference. And that is why too many teams are exiting this year with a very sour taste in their mouths.

The issue is the OHSAA ref assignors. They assign games based on seniority not capabilities ( and definitely don’t check for conflicts of interest!). With these state level games the goal differentials are so low, having a non partial capable ref crew makes a huge difference. And that is why too many teams are exiting this year with a very sour taste in their mouths.

This is compounded by younger referees knowing they aren't going to get good high school games, so they skip high school altogether and referee college games.

You also have assignors assigning other assignors to scratch each others back. Some of these guys do a handful of games during the season but all of a sudden are centering 4-5 nights a week during the postseason.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Your point is taken, but there are no 70-80 year old refs doing Regionl games , 50-60’s yes

It's a tough situation. In one way, I would like to say you don't want to put yourself in position to lose a game due to a call by a referee. On the other hand, the more competitive the game, the more that can happen. There is definitely a shortage across the board. One of the biggest mistakes I see with soccer officials is not being in position to make the best call.