Mason Soccer--One year wonder???

I go to Mason

Last years Mason soccer team was one of the best soccer teams I've ever seen come out of cincinnati. But that was then, this is now

Does Mason have any hope this year?

patterson is still a top 3 d1 player in the city.
behind maybe lavigne and spencer, danny dwyer if your talking whatever division summit is.
but with rumors of him not playing next year and him being one of four returning players who actually played they dont have much of a shot.

Last years Mason soccer team was one of the best soccer teams I've ever seen come out of cincinnati. But that was then, this is now

Does Mason have any hope this year?

Mason had a great year but the GMC is VERY tough EVERY year. Look at Fairfield 2006 and 2007! One year they're in the state championship game the next they're fighting to stay above 500. It takes just a little drop and wham, you're back in the middle of the pack. By the way, I expect the Indians to be much improved next year and make some noise in the playoffs.

By the way, while the Comets were excellent last year I wouldn't call them one of the best teams to come out of Cincinnati. They had limitations which caught up with them in the playoffs.

For great teams out of Cincinnati, you have to go back to the Turpin State champion teams from the mid 90's(?). More recently St. X in 2005 (state runner-up) and Fairfield in 2006 (state runner-up) represented Cincinnati soccer very well.

I said one of the best, not the best...and I do believe that mason will be known as one of the best teams to come out of cincinnati. having said that, yes they did have weaknesses but they were very few.

As for next year, I believe mason will surprise people. Caleb and Tyler up top are going to be two of the best juniors in the city...having said that, I'd say 09 and 10 will be their years of greatness.

how many graduating seniors did Mason have on the varsity team this year?

did their JV team have a strong year like the varsity did?

I believe they grauated 12 seniors. Their JV went something like 12-1-3 I believe or something like that. Their freshman class from this year was strong..that's about it

wow....12 is alot. sounds like they are doing a good job of reloading with the upcoming class though. Just guessing here, but I'm thinking that next year might be more of a rebuilding year for them but I bet the following year they will be back in full force.

I go to Mason why do u answer ur own question? If you think Mason is going to be good then y do u say is there any hope for us next year?

I think Mason will be just fine next year. The class they had above them was amazing and many of their incoming seniors are very good and match up very well with the talent from other schools. Patterson is just flat out amazing. But they also have players like Grant, Eastham, and Cook who are all very good players. Caleb and Tyler will be one of the best striker combinations in the city and their midfield will be strong not to mention Miles the GK is one of the best Junior GK in the state. The only part I see this team lacking in is defense. Cook his a very good defender but his supporting cast back there is not the best. But overall I can see this team possibly winning GMC.

Last edited:
Truegamer, I agree with you. I think Mason will fly under the radar to a very good season. Have watched several of their games and my son is on the JV One team. Great freshman class and very talented sophmore class. With the returning starters and some of the juniors that could have played varsity for most teams last year, I could name ten or eleven starters that will be excellent this year in the GMC. Names (aside from Patterson and Eastham) that everyone knows this year, IMO, will be Mauricio Trujilla and Tyler Eifert. Trujilla is a sophmore and could really have an impact. Eifert is a junior and will be first year varsity but would have been starter for almost all other teams in town. They will be very good and compete for the GMC I think. Might take some by surprise. In two years, they maybe loaded more than last year.

Defsensivly- Don't know what they'll do, they graduated Niro and some others? GKwise Miles is a good keeper and they shouldn't have a problem there.

Midfield- Zach at CM. they have a kid on CUP 17's whos fast and could do some damage. forget his name?

Up top- i doubt caleb and tyler will be the best striker pair... who's tyler? Caleb's a good player, produced as a sophomore so wouldn't be surprised if he's top 10 in the city goalswise. Biased, i know, but chris kuramoto and mike brizzi from loveland are going to be the best striker pair ;-)

defense will be the downfall of the Comets next year...Losing a player like Niro is gonna leave Cook (most likely) with some big shoes to fill however like truegamer said he has great speed and good smarts for the game so i think he will do very well...patterson is really going to have to take this team on his shoulders however if they want to be very successful...they also need great play out of Grant on that wing as well.

no he is playing last i heard. I heard him and lavigne and dwyer might go to Brazil for a year after HS and play instead of going straight to college...not 100% sure about this though.

Defsensivly- Don't know what they'll do, they graduated Niro and some others? GKwise Miles is a good keeper and they shouldn't have a problem there.

Midfield- Zach at CM. they have a kid on CUP 17's whos fast and could do some damage. forget his name?

Up top- i doubt caleb and tyler will be the best striker pair... who's tyler? Caleb's a good player, produced as a sophomore so wouldn't be surprised if he's top 10 in the city goalswise. Biased, i know, but chris kuramoto and mike brizzi from loveland are going to be the best striker pair ;-)

Caleb Eastham I assume you mean on U17 Red. Tyler Eifert is the "Tyler" people are mentioning. He is very solid striker and should contribute immediately. Was on JV One last year and a lot of the Mason JV players thought he could have easily played up. I watched him all year and watched varsity games too and agree. He will be an immediate factor this year. Also agree with the defense comments. They have the talent for a good defense, just what they do with it and the question is who will play it.

Disagree soccerfan...Their defense will be descent at best...Cook can't be that teams only defender and from the looks of things they really dont have a deep bench which can sub in for the defenders easily...With the 3 in the back that Mason plays I think that is going to be tough for them

As a graduate from the '07 Mason team, I see much potentual in the young mason team. I have talked with Reedy multiple times about next year and his thoughts. The thought has come up to possibly play a 4-5-1. Yes they would be taking there Eastham-Eifert threat away. But they have many techincally sound CMs that are a threat from a long shot. Also, being a senior next year, is Jordan Grant. He is a fast mother ----er and will easily burn anyone any team throws out there at him. Only problem with that is they would need to find one other to fill the big shoes that both Tosh and Szabo left Mason with on the outside flanks. But with that kind of speed, skills, and threats in the middle field it only makes sense to use them as most of your attack. This also allows the Comets to overload their defense with 4. Which would hepfully help solve their problems back there. Whatever Mason decideds to go with next year they will most definitly be competitive against EVERY team they play. They have what it takes, but the inexperience will hold them back for most of the season.

Grant is not good at all in my opinion, he is fast but he is wayyy to skinny and small and his ball skils are not good at all, i can't really see him being that much of a threat next year, the only reason he did as well as he did for mason was b/c the players that surrounded him were so good that they gave him a lot of open field to work with, so i dnt see him doing much next year

yes grant is skinny and not very physical, but he is a good player. last year in the second half of the season he really stepped up when tosh was injured, and once tosh was back to full health he continued to compete with him for playing time. i won't argue about the fact that he needs to bulk up but to say he isn't very good means you might not have payed close attention to him last season.

im telling you guys beavercreek goin to be the best team there is..returning 14 varsity players there will be approx. 18 seniors and 3 juniors on varsity or even 19 seniors and 2 juniors.

what does that have to do with this thread? we r talking about next year...not what happened in the past...its just that noone wants to talk about elder cuz u guys are not going to be good at all so u take ur opportunities to get ur posts in about them when noone cares

THANK YOU!!!!! Mason Who!!!!!!!!!!!!:stirthepot:

Elder soccers claim to fame for the next 10 years will be how the beat mason in the 07 08 season. Thats a huge accolade for you guys. Considering since you are in the gcl, and you can recruit kids for sports, its not like you guys should be better anyway. No one will even remember how you guys got railed two games later against hilliard davidson by what was it 3 or 4 i dont remember. Really worthy adversary for being a semi final game. good luck with seasons to come!