Mason DI Boys District Champions back to 1923

Lancermania

Lancers lead the way!
This file is an inspiration to all other districts in Ohio. Do the research like has been done here and honor your past champions. All the precursons to the Mason district have been found. In the beginning, this district was called the Oxford district and was run at Miami University.

Here is the list, a staggering number of years of research and effort required to come up with this comprehensive list.

http://www.swotccca.com/Documents/Champions/District Winners - Mason D1 - Boys - 2019 (1).pdf

Outstanding work!!! A great resource for coaches in the district to share some of the history of their programs with their current athletes.

Which time periods were the most difficult to complete?
What is the meaning of the cells highlighted in different color?

Outstanding work!!! A great resource for coaches in the district to share some of the history of their programs with their current athletes.

Here are the changes made for this year's updating of the District champions.

Meet Record - Starting with this year's editions, only marks meeting acceptable criteria are listed as meet records for the 100m/200m/100mH/110mH, and long jumps. Those manual timing or FAT bests that exceed the current acceptable meet records are listed as meet "bests", but will only be listed on the "District Meet Records" files. The only outstanding event is that of the Mason long jumps, which have never had wind gauges utilized at those meets. As such, the headings of those events list the "Meet Best" to distinguish from "record".

Timing Column - Tthe "timing" column from each file has been revomed. Any times shown to the 1/10 sec. are to be interpreted as MANUAL timing; those shown to the 1/100 sec. are all FAT. This is in keeping with standard practices.

Section Column - In the men's files, the column highlighting those years where there were 2 different sections for the respective district to just before the "Site" column.

Meet Record - Highlighted in Light Blue along with its place in the list. In the list, the meet record is BOLDFACE & ITALICIZED.

Field Event Marks - Metrics - All field event marks now show their metric equivalents.
Historical Marks Arrangement - the format is to show the most recent year at the top of the list

Mason Boys' File - As the Mason boys' meet is a continuation of the original district meet started in 1923 at Oxford, that historical data has been moved into the Mason Boys' file. So, you'll find many of the events will be shown going back to 1923. This should provide for some interesting reading.

Meet Record Progressions - removed the column indicating when meet bests or records were set. Creating new documents to provide a better format to show meet best/record progressions for each event, for each district. Goal is to merge the current district winners files with a new file that will be comprehensive to each separate meet. Plan to add meet record progressions, team winner/runner-up summaries for all years, meet-by-meet team scores for every year, and a listing of each meet's results per year (where known). Sstarted those files years ago, but will be updating & reformatting over the next several years. The goal is to produce these files in time for the 2023 season, which will mark the 100th year anniversary of the original district meets.

State Winners Highlighted - Highlighting in GOLD each athlete in the district meet that won the state meet in that respective year. You'll see their name(s) highlighted.

Great work. An awesome resource.
And selfishly, it's nice to have proof (all current evidence to the contrary) that I was fast once. :)

Really enjoyed perusing the two threads about the Cin. districts.Though I ran HS track in Indiana, I recognized several masters runners I have competed against.I saw that one of my friends tied for the district high jump championship in the late fifties. He was recognized here in Hamilton much more for his basketball skills. Thanks for this compilation.

I was impressed with the improvement over the years in the distance events.

FYI - The files shown here are the result of an initial 4-year project that led to research at many different libraries across most of the counties of SW Ohio. The initial goal of the research was only to determine accurate district meet records/bests through the 2010 season. As the research progressed, the histories of the district meets became larger & larger & larger. I never knew the origin of the meets, but through steady research and a lot of hours & miles (4000+ hours-to-date) logged, you have what is in front of you.

Research continues and more of the details of those meets are in development for a later release date. Lancermania & others were key in providing motivation & input. I am applying the same research principles & in-depth record-keeping in researching the Dayton Regional & State Meet histories. Those are even bigger projects that will take longer to complete than has the current 4 district meets comprising the Cincinnati-area schools.

Glad you all enjoy.

To answer question #2 first, the highlighted blue cells indicate the current legal record holders of the district meet records. Those names or teams in GOLD represent those who won the state title in the same year. Text in red represent the best known data to date for that event/year. Research continues in order to try and turn those into black text, which represents confirmed data.

As far as which period was the most difficult. 1923-1925, and the World War II years. That data has proven difficult to nail down a complete set of district results. Also, the early 50s has proven difficult, but not quite as much.

The biggest reasons I see for incomplete yearly data is who was doing the reporting at a particular newspaper. In the days before the internet, reporting was always a challenge and it took real reporters to put together good newspaper reporting. There were obviously years where HS track & field was not a secondary concern, let alone a primary one :(

As a follow-on, other challenges that were/are not insignificant have been the misspellings of last names, and differentiating between brothers that competed on a team at the same time. MOST results only referenced last names. Not only were many libraries historical records in the forms of microfilm & hard copies of old newspapers, but also many hundreds, if not thousands, of school yearbooks were consulted in order to determine just who the articles were calling out from a particular school. I'm finding the same challenges with the State meet research, particularly for the period of 1908-1940. After the war years, things get a heck-of-a-lot easier to assimilate from my perspective. One of the biggest tasks, aside from those already mentioned, is confirming team schools with event results. They are frequently non-conforming between the two, and I see my role as trying to link results with scores so there are no discrepancies. It's a huge challenge, as you might expect. However, the process is well underway for the 1908-1930 period, and I've got very good stuff after that already compiled by hand that will be easy to transfer to online documents at a later date. For now, I'm focusing on the early years of the state meet. I've even located data for the 1906 version (the 2nd such) of the pre-State meet invitational held near Granville, which was the site of the original State meet in 1908. There were 3 pre-State meet invites, and I'm on a quest to get all that data as well.

Well, hope this also gives better understanding of everything involved.

Great job! I am glad there are people passionate enough to take this on. Your work will live on indefinitely.

I thought it was interesting to see schools that once competed in the big school division that are now much smaller and a few that are D3 now.

I noticed a couple of winners from "Automotive" school from the 30s and looked up the history. Turns out it was located in a building I worked across the street from for 20 years and never knew the history. It is now the office for the maintenance division of Cincinnati public schools.

Great job! I am glad there are people passionate enough to take this on. Your work will live on indefinitely.

I thought it was interesting to see schools that once competed in the big school division that are now much smaller and a few that are D3 now.

I noticed a couple of winners from "Automotive" school from the 30s and looked up the history. Turns out it was located in a building I worked across the street from for 20 years and never knew the history. It is now the office for the maintenance division of Cincinnati public schools.

Yes it is. Automotive combined with 2 other schools to form the original Central Vocational, which became Central, which became Courter Technical. There's a huge book located somewhere in the stacks down at the main Cincinnati Public library that gives a yearly summary of the Cincinnati schools of that period. I never had time to read it in any depth, but in my quick perusal of it, I know that many questions can be answered within its pages. I hope to relocate it sometime and give it a better look-see.

Automotive's 1934 graduate, John Castro, placed 3rd in the mile in the 1934 Class A state meet.

A REMARKABLE RUN: Mason boys aiming for 13th straight trip to state cross country meet

A REMARKABLE RUN: Mason boys aiming for 13th straight trip to state cross country meet

Good for them. Wish we could see XC return to city schools of Ohio. I'm not even a XC guy, but I recognize there is a lot of discipline that could be instilled within at-risk city kids through regular, daily training that you see with XC. I hope it happens.

Anyway, good luck to the Comets. Maybe they'll match the run of the Minster girls someday!