Martin RPI

Are they though? In that example they lost every single game. Close or not, you have to think they don't know how to win, or at best struggle mightily with the little things that win close games. So you think we should hand out "atta boy" rewards?
So let's take out the "playing the top 22 teams" because that's not going to happen. If you are a team that loses to the Top 10 teams on your schedule by 2 points each, I can agree that that team could still be very, very good.....BUT they had better have gone 10-2 against the remaining 12 teams on their schedule lol. Kinda the point of the Dayton Roth scenario above. They lost to the big boys, but beat up on the rest. The tourney proved that they were good...and their tough schedule prepared them for the tourney run

I haven't weighed in awhile and now that we are using this up here in NW OH wanted to give my perspective as a former head coach still helping out. So there is alot of argument about the RPI and how teams that play a tough schedule but play close games with some losses are getting the short end- I disagree with this because from a coaching side every year your team is in one of three buckets. Either you are a dominant team that is a top 1, 2, or 3 in the District and you know that going in. You could be a middle pack team where you could be anywhere from 4-8 or you are a lower end team seeds 10-20. ( We have about 20 teams in two districts in our draw) In years where we were loaded and knew we were good, we would try to beef up the schedule and seeding didn't matter much because we weren't afraid to play anyone and would be 1,2,or 3 seed most likely. If we had a down year team then maybe we hoped the seeding would allow us to win a game against someone we could beat but most likely after that the next bracket would have a top 6 type team we would have to knock off. Or most years we were in the middle, where we tried to find the path that could get us the furthest, this was always interesting and fun and matchups really mattered here. So in reference to me not agreeing that the 0-22 team with all two point losses team is hurt by this, I would argue that they benefit from being seeded maybe 9th in a district vs 5th for example. Although I am winless but (played the hardest schedule in the state for example) I would love to be a lower seed (9th) and see where everyone ahead is on the board and then know that most likely I'm stronger than seeds maybe 4-8 for example. Then it comes down to what it always does, the games have to be played and won. For me over the past 23 years I've been doing this I've had teams where we were a 4 seed but a weak 4 seed and teams 5, 6, 7 would jump us game 1 (which I hated) but some years where we might be 7 but felt underseeded we could pick better who we would play or know the path better and we would also scare away the teams after us too. So I would prefer to be underseed than overseeded in many cases. I know this may be weird logic but I think this is how most coaches view this- in down years you hope to win a game or two, in great years you generally know you can make a run and will eventually run into the other top seeds in District finals or regionals etc and the middle teams are looking for ways to get a District championship and finding the right path/matchups plays a big role here.
I think you hit on what I stated about seeding in another thread on here. If a coach believes they should be the one seed, but instead are denied that and given a lower seed, they are not losing any sleep over it as they still believe they can go on the board at any slot and win. Fans get much more concerned about seeding than coaches (most of the time).

So let's take out the "playing the top 22 teams" because that's not going to happen. If you are a team that loses to the Top 10 teams on your schedule by 2 points each, I can agree that that team could still be very, very good.....BUT they had better have gone 10-2 against the remaining 12 teams on their schedule lol. Kinda the point of the Dayton Roth scenario above. They lost to the big boys, but beat up on the rest. The tourney proved that they were good...and their tough schedule prepared them for the tourney run
You just totally changed the scenario, but if a team goes 10-12 and loses to the top 10 teams on their schedule they should not be ranked above those 10 teams unless they had some poor losses. IMO, playing a tough schedule is a great idea but if you finish 7-15 you are not a good team. Doesn't mean you can't catch fire and make a tournament run though.

If anyone is butthurt about how the rankings look after 6 weeks of a 12-week regular season then that's a you problem buddy...These rankings mean absolutely nothing until the end of the regular season. The more games are played, the more accurate the rankings get. Do people not understand that??? Blows my mind. Imagine getting furious at the Harbin ratings after Week 5 because you don't like where your favorite team is ranked in its region...

You just totally changed the scenario, but if a team goes 10-12 and loses to the top 10 teams on their schedule they should not be ranked above those 10 teams unless they had some poor losses. IMO, playing a tough schedule is a great idea but if you finish 7-15 you are not a good team. Doesn't mean you can't catch fire and make a tournament run though.
You can’t argue with this rpi it is the end all of calculations. Is better than sliced bread, smoother than silk and just perfect in every aspect. Just trust it. Your eyes are worthless and common sense is BS. I finally got it. Let the kid make his buck no need to question anything, he has it all figured out.

If anyone is butthurt about how the rankings look after 6 weeks of a 12-week regular season then that's a you problem buddy...These rankings mean absolutely nothing until the end of the regular season. The more games are played, the more accurate the rankings get. Do people not understand that??? Blows my mind. Imagine getting furious at the Harbin ratings after Week 5 because you don't like where your favorite team is ranked in its region...
I agree with you that it is currently a small sample size, but the same thing will generally happen, teams that win will move up and teams that don't won't. I get that generally teams that win are ranked higher, but those of us that don't like this as a seeding tool rely on the eye-test to say a 12-8 team is better than a 17-3 team because of schedule. It's not hard to acknowledge that.

I agree with you that it is currently a small sample size, but the same thing will generally happen, teams that win will move up and teams that don't won't. I get that generally teams that win are ranked higher, but those of us that don't like this as a seeding tool rely on the eye-test to say a 12-8 team is better than a 17-3 team because of schedule. It's not hard to acknowledge that.

The problem is the wide range and variety of each individuals “eye test”. It could and likely does vary from person to person. With a uniform system in place, it eliminates that variability.

Is it perfect? Of course not. Nothing is. Like we’ve discussed before the state is looking for something ALL districts can use and support. It has blown my mind that different parts of the state handle STATE TOURNAMANET procedures differently across the board.

We’re always quick to give blame to the OHSAA (myself included), but I think they are on to something here and are trying for something everyone can use. I’m guessing tweaks will be made to the formula as each year passes as well.

Alas, if you have a good team - you are going to be just fine…regardless of the system.

The problem is the wide range and variety of each individuals “eye test”. It could and likely does vary from person to person. With a uniform system in place, it eliminates that variability.

Is it perfect? Of course not. Nothing is. Like we’ve discussed before the state is looking for something ALL districts can use and support. It has blown my mind that different parts of the state handle STATE TOURNAMANET procedures differently across the board.

We’re always quick to give blame to the OHSAA (myself included), but I think they are on to something here and are trying for something everyone can use. I’m guessing tweaks will be made to the formula as each year passes as well.

Alas, if you have a good team - you are going to be just fine…regardless of the system.
All reasonable points, but I think over the years the aggregated eye-test of the coaches in SWOH has produced the most accurate ranking of teams.

I have said many times this discussion falls one of two ways, I love the eye-test of the coaches and believe it is the best ranking..... or..... coaches have bias so the best ranking is a computer system that treats everyone the same but may not be accurate. It's perfectly reasonable to say the RPI is flawed but I support it because it treats everyone equally. The legal counsel for the RPI (@spirit454) continually tries to justify completely outlier rankings like D3 last year and (although early) Pick Central this year.

Here’s the thing, though: the state hasn’t handled things at the lower tournament levels. They decided (rightly, in my eyes) that these very different parts of the state just might have a better idea on how to run their own tournaments in order to send the best teams to the actual state tournament.

It sounds like they’re moving toward uniformity across the state, which I don’t think is the best way.

If a team is seeded higher than they should be does that mean they will instantly get better and win more tournament games?

Some of you would have your head explode if you moved to PA where not only does a computer system rank the teams across the state, but not everyone even makes the post season. Plus, they are bracketed by their seed (no coaches picking), and as a cherry on top, you could even lose a playoff game and still win the state championship! PURE MADNESS!!! 😂😂😂

Some of you would have your head explode if you moved to PA where not only does a computer system rank the teams across the state, but not everyone even makes the post season. Plus, they are bracketed by their seed (no coaches picking), and as a cherry on top, you could even lose a playoff game and still win the state championship! PURE MADNESS!!! 😂😂😂
@jafo Definitely not, but it does impact the order teams go in the bracket which impacts match-ups

@Philly_Cat In a scenario where not everyone makes it I would be all for the RPI being used for both seeding and placement like football here. Schools would adjust scheduling to make sure they get the points (since playing tough against a great schedule gets you nothing unless you win) to get in the playoffs like they do in football.

If a team is seeded higher than they should be does that mean they will instantly get better and win more tournament games?
Exactly, So a team may have to a team they wouldn't with a different format but you may get better games.

Ohio football has this and people are complaining because there are to many teams making it. With 7 divisions and 28 total regions we have some very unworthy teams making the playoffs in Ohio that has traditionally only been for the top teams in the state.

So yesterday Pick Central played Cathedral who is defending Indiana state champ and ranked 3rd right now. PC was up by 23 but couldn't hold on and lost by 4.

PC started the day ranked 27th in Ohio by RPI and fell to 34th after that game. Common sense says PC is a top 5 team in Ohio while the RPI says they are outside the top 30. The RPI is too dependent on wins and losses to be a ranking of best teams, it is just a team order based on someone's math formula.

So yesterday Pick Central played Cathedral who is defending Indiana state champ and ranked 3rd right now. PC was up by 23 but couldn't hold on and lost by 4.

PC started the day ranked 27th in Ohio by RPI and fell to 34th after that game. Common sense says PC is a top 5 team in Ohio while the RPI says they are outside the top 30. The RPI is too dependent on wins and losses to be a ranking of best teams, it is just a team order based on someone's math formula.
How many 3s did Cathedral hit in the first half? How many in the second? How many cathedral starters were on the bench in the first half with foul trouble? Since you compared them to their season last year, did Cathedral graduate any players or did they all return?

How many 3s did Cathedral hit in the first half? How many in the second? How many cathedral starters were on the bench in the first half with foul trouble? Since you compared them to their season last year, did Cathedral graduate any players or did they all return?
Cathedral is ranked 3rd is what he wrote. Very good team - beat Centerville in 1st game of the season by 6.

Cathedral is ranked 3rd is what he wrote. Very good team - beat Centerville in 1st game of the season by 6.
I believe they are ranked 3rd in Indiana. I was asking more about the game since he described the turnaround from being up to losing.

Last edited:

They're 8th out of 49 teams in their region. That's all that matters. Rossford is somewhere around 24th in D2, but 2nd in their district behind Toledo Central Catholic.

In a situation like D2 in NW Ohio where there are 9 teams in 5 different leagues, having some way to differentiate themselves other than "the eye test" makes sense.

Rossford has beaten Perrysburg and Defiance - and lost to D4 Kalida. They beat the #6 team in D2 in Michigan by 29 points last night. The "eye test" largely depends on what night you happen to see them play. Perrysburg lost to Rossford, but destroyed Whitmer at Whitmer. Sometimes teams look bad against league teams because they know each other so well...and sometimes they look great against a non-league foe on a Saturday night if one team has prepped for the game and the other hasn't.

And now we are back to people wanting credit for losing games [sigh]

Dude, they are 8th in their region. Their state ranking is honestly, meaningless, unless personal feelings have meaning in all this. Again, 8th in their region. I don't know the rest of Pick Central's schedule or others in their region or league, but normally the last month of high school basketball's regular season sees teams playing teams in their region and leagues almost exclusively. More local teams playing each other helps start to balance out what you would consider "discrepancies" in computer rankings.

I'm thinking by the end of the regular season PC may not make it to top in their region, but will probably end up at least top 5 or even 3. That's assuming they are actually as good as you think they are. Would top 5 or top 3 be acceptable to you?

And now we are back to people wanting credit for losing games [sigh]
If this is a system just to order teams based mainly on winning %, no.

If this is a ranking system trying to determine the best team at the top, followed by the 2nd best and so on.....100% yes!

There are no perfect options. There are flaws to Coach's voting and flaws to a computer system. I developed a SWO RPI (based on similar metrics to Martin), but feel as if I adjusted for league strength a little better. Here's the top 10 in D1...

Edit: This is just D1 in Cincinnati district!
SWO D1 RPI.png

Last edited:
Interesting piece in the online Van Wert newspaper. Really small sample size, but the comments are interesting nonetheless. Check out Scott Truxell's random thoughts in sports.

thevwindependent.com
Interesting that a coach feels like most in the area are against it and it was forced on them. I would have followed up with "how was it approved if you think most coaches are against it"? I don't remember for sure if it was a coaches vote that approved it or administrator, but pretty sure coaches so that is an odd statement.

The only reason for using it is that it treats everyone the same and if that is the goal, it is the best we have. If the goal of seeding is to rank the teams from best to worst as it always has been, coaches voting is the most appropriate way to do it.

There are no perfect options. There are flaws to Coach's voting and flaws to a computer system. I developed a SWO RPI (based on similar metrics to Martin), but feel as if I adjusted for league strength a little better. Here's the top 10 in D1...

View attachment 38216
Sorry but any system that doesn't have Centerville in the top 10 is fundamentally flawed. Metrics, W/L, SOS, and eye test all say at least top 5. Sorry just noticed you are doing one district but your post doesn't say that.

Sorry but any system that doesn't have Centerville in the top 10 is fundamentally flawed. Metrics, W/L, SOS, and eye test all say at least top 5. Sorry just noticed you are doing one district but your post doesn't say that.
Yes, currently is just the Cincinnati district. Should have Dayton by the end of the week!

Ha, the lawyer is back, dodge and weave!
NO dodge, I asked a question that nobody answered. You tried using a game to make your point but do not seem to know anything about the game. Many teams lose games that they led in at one point. Many situations can hurt teams in the second quarter but all play 32 minutes last I checked.

If this is a system just to order teams based mainly on winning %, no.

If this is a ranking system trying to determine the best team at the top, followed by the 2nd best and so on.....100% yes!
35% is winning

65% is based on who you are playing.