Martin RPI

The email was sent to ADs all over the state from the NWDAB Secretary. This was an information only email and was a suggestion from Cbus to keep everyone in loop. District presidents were already aware of it.

it’s obvious you are aTaft fan and will never understand unless Taft gets the #1 seed. So let’s just agree that a system that works the best may not be perfect and move on. The fact the all district reps support the idea says something.
Fan of good basketball, not necessarily Taft. Look through the SWDAB site over the years, many times especially in D3/D4 teams with an average record are seeded above teams with a great record. That was my only point, it is not an extreme situation.

Fan of good basketball, not necessarily Taft. Look through the SWDAB site over the years, many times especially in D3/D4 teams with an average record are seeded above teams with a great record. That was my only point, it is not an extreme situation.
I get your point you are trying to make but the fact a there is no system known that will take every situation for 800 teams and deal with it perfectly. Even teams with perfect records are not always given top billing. The beautiful thing is with basketball everyone makes it in and the games decide who is the best. Not a formula, not a board and not a fan.

@spirit454 I heard from a SWOH coach last week and he said they received an email from the NWDAB secretary telling them they are using the RPI this year and telling them they are doing it across the state to see if it can be used in the future. It also says they want to do the pilot to see how closely it compares to actually seeding at the end of the year. Two thoughts:

1. Why is the NWDAB pushing this so hard? The secretary even offered to input scores for people if they send them to him. Sounds like he REALLY wants this to happen in other districts for some odd reason. You would think, if there was support from OHSBCA and OHSAA, a request for a pilot would come from them, not the secretary of the NWDAB.

2. I think this is GREAT and follows everything I have said in this thread. If they can tweak it to match reality, I'm all for using it. They recognize the seeding by coaches is the most accurate and they want to match that closely. Good for them!

that’s not any different than what he did last year lmao.

I believe he likes to wait until all teams have played 6-7 games. It'll also be nice when they release which teams are in which district too (for the NW district).

There's no way the NWDAB is watching the rankings before determining districts to better the cause that this method is needed is there?

There's no way the NWDAB is watching the rankings before determining districts to better the cause that this method is needed is there?
No.

I worded that poorly. It would be nice for the NWDAB to hurry up and release the districts. Especially since Martin RPI relies on that so he can rank the assigned teams in each district accordingly.

I don't think you did. Is it possible that NWDAB is watching the rankings now til they are released publicly to avoid putting a high number of Teams in one district say (D4 Elida) or to balance out some D4 districts ahead time?

Woodmore as a D4 team is going to be an interesting test case since they only have 3 D4 opponents on their current schedule.

I don't think you did. Is it possible that NWDAB is watching the rankings now til they are released publicly to avoid putting a high number of Teams in one district say (D4 Elida) or to balance out some D4 districts ahead time?

Woodmore as a D4 team is going to be an interesting test case since they only have 3 D4 opponents on their current schedule.
If you read through this thread (especially focusing on the Taft discussion) Woodmore better win a lot of those games against bigger schools or they will be seeded low.

No.

Location is the decider for District sites.

This whole system is flawed. Look at the football rankings he had.....New Bremen in the 20's. Antwerp in the top 5? That is not a knock on Antwerp, but even looking at his rankings from last year at the end of the year. He had 4 teams from SE Ohio in the top 10.....when was the last time a SE Ohio team was even good in d4 basketball......He had richmont hts at 6 or 7 and they won the whole thing by 25+

From the article - “From the OHSAA’s perspective, that was the thing they liked the most about it was getting rid of the coaches' vote,” said Brayton Martin, the site’s founder, “because they’re well aware that those coaches' votes can be a little off.”

This coming from a guy whose rankings had the D3 state champion ranked in the 40s :unsure:

This whole system is flawed. Look at the football rankings he had.....New Bremen in the 20's. Antwerp in the top 5? That is not a knock on Antwerp, but even looking at his rankings from last year at the end of the year. He had 4 teams from SE Ohio in the top 10.....when was the last time a SE Ohio team was even good in d4 basketball......He had richmont hts at 6 or 7 and they won the whole thing by 25+
Read through this thread, you and I could be soulmates 🤣

The computer rankings for the playoff seeding had New Bremen at 22. RPI had them at 20. Would've been Top 5 in both if their QB played the final game of the season but he was out with an injury. But good luck finding a statewide rankings system that can factor in injuries for 700+ football teams lol.

Also RH was #1 in D4 & Hiland & River were the only SEO teams in the D4 Top 10.

Every year. They're from Berlin Hiland.

In football you only have to be top 16 in a region and NB clearly was. I would guess they gladly would take a couple losses against great programs for the competition and lower ranking in preparing them for tournament. Looks like it worked perfectly.

In football you only have to be top 16 in a region and NB clearly was. I would guess they gladly would take a couple losses against great programs for the competition and lower ranking in preparing them for tournament. Looks like it worked perfectly.
Right on...Man, SWOHHoops is gonna be SOOO pissed when the SW schools use RPI for seeding next year

crushed noo GIF

Can the rankings from last season be found anywhere? I checked the Martin RPI site but they have been taken down.

It would be nice to look at last year's rankings and see how the seeding would have turned out

Can the rankings from last season be found anywhere? I checked the Martin RPI site but they have been taken down.

It would be nice to look at last year's rankings and see how the seeding would have turned out
He probably scrubbed the D3 rankings since they weren't close to reality

He probably scrubbed the D3 rankings since they weren't close to reality
I have never heard how college football scrubbed their ranking process after the 2014-45 season. Something had to be off when the AP #5 team wins the title. These guys do this for a living. Not just a bunch of teachers working in their free time.

The computer rankings for the playoff seeding had New Bremen at 22. RPI had them at 20. Would've been Top 5 in both if their QB played the final game of the season but he was out with an injury.
You wanna know what system wouldn’t have had New Bremen ranked in the 20s? A vote by the coaches.

The computer rankings for the playoff seeding had New Bremen at 22. RPI had them at 20. Would've been Top 5 in both if their QB played the final game of the season but he was out with an injury. But good luck finding a statewide rankings system that can factor in injuries for 700+ football teams lol.

Also RH was #1 in D4 & Hiland & River were the only SEO teams in the D4 Top 10.
rpi.jpg

This was heading into sectional week across Ohio Last year. Richmond Hts was #6 (flat out embarrassing), Tri Village #11 was easy a top 5 team last year.

no disrespect, but usually not great- Trimble, River, Mathews--all in the top 10 come on man.

He completely misses the entire west central part of the state. New Bremen, Marion Local, Spencerville are the only 3 teams that were worthy of being ranked last year?

My point to this system is a win in SE Ohio or NE Ohio (outside of Richmond Hts) is not the same as a win in the MAC. It is not apples to apples.