Marlington Dukes Head Coach

Hahaha I love it and yes I do haha.

I was surprised balderson went back. But... doesn't he have kids coming up if I'm not mistaken?

However I don't see Budd at Marlington.

My gut tells me they may have to take a shot on someone unproven and hungry to get a chance to run their own program based on their finances and such
I am not totally 100% on this but Balderson still teaches at GlenOak as does his wife...so concerning the children am not sure. Did Phil get rehired at Jackson in some kind of position..ie you mentioned Monitor? I mean it makes sense because he was Rohr's head coach when he played at Jackson....so if that is the case who calls the offense...Mauro or Balderson?

Marlington's issues are definitely large in the unknown....how close are they from state takeover? That question I would think affects the quality of candidates they have to chose from.

I am not totally 100% on this but Balderson still teaches at GlenOak as does his wife...so concerning the children am not sure. Did Phil get rehired at Jackson in some kind of position..ie you mentioned Monitor? I mean it makes sense because he was Rohr's head coach when he played at Jackson....so if that is the case who calls the offense...Mauro or Balderson?

Marlington's issues are definitely large in the unknown....how close are they from state takeover? That question I would think affects the quality of candidates they have to chose from.
yeah Phil is going to be some type of monitor position at Jackson. Good question on who calls the offense.

Marlington needs a little bit of a reset with their board. I'd imagine if things continue to get worse that there will be people who step up to run for board who will be willing to make some of the tougher calls and work to rally the community into a new levy to keep the state out of their hair. I honestly think if they can get a solid coach with this hire who can win in these circumstances it would go a long way to starting to get things moving in the right direction in terms of school issues. I'd argue football success can help drive change towards the better.

West Branch looks appealing but their finances are questionable

Therein lies an issue in regards to school finances. Rural districts like West Branch, Tuslaw, Marlington, etc., don't have much of a tax base (although the Dukes do get a nice slice of the City of Alliance) because there's few businesses in the district.

Money is always going to be a problem. That's why if I'm the Dukes I'm really taking a hard look at the sports programs. I'm calling Gary Woods for a cup of coffee in a low profile location to have a discussion about the PAC and just leave it at that - a discussion - for now.

With five non-league games in football as the EBC is currently constructed, money is always going to be an issue with travel costs. Furthermore, with the EBC possibly adding Beaver Local and East Liverpool, those travel costs won't be low, either.

Then there's the issue of the gate. Are schools like BL and EL going to bring fans?

Therein lies an issue in regards to school finances. Rural districts like West Branch, Tuslaw, Marlington, etc., don't have much of a tax base (although the Dukes do get a nice slice of the City of Alliance) because there's few businesses in the district.

Money is always going to be a problem. That's why if I'm the Dukes I'm really taking a hard look at the sports programs. I'm calling Gary Woods for a cup of coffee in a low profile location to have a discussion about the PAC and just leave it at that - a discussion - for now.

With five non-league games in football as the EBC is currently constructed, money is always going to be an issue with travel costs. Furthermore, with the EBC possibly adding Beaver Local and East Liverpool, those travel costs won't be low, either.

Then there's the issue of the gate. Are schools like BL and EL going to bring fans?
The PAC is not going to add Marlington, a fledgling district that would instantly be one of the biggest in the conference and drastically increase commute times is not enticing whatsoever

yeah Phil is going to be some type of monitor position at Jackson. Good question on who calls the offense.
I have just heard Balderson left the staff....before Mauro came on...teaching at GlenOak and coaching with another Fed team is an awkward issue and he maybe exploring going into administration

Phil Here Today, Gone To-Mauro just couldn't inspire the youth of Maximo. He is better suited for Jackson Township, where they make things happen.

Any real rumblings for this job? I found it to be one of the least attractive jobs in the area but after what Louisville was able pull for their job no names would really surprise me

Any real rumblings for this job? I found it to be one of the least attractive jobs in the area but after what Louisville was able pull for their job no names would really surprise me

I think Jim Ballard should throw his hat in the ring. The guy trains QB's and has great knowledge of the game. People might think this might be a jab at him being honest here: Can Marlington hire a coach with a teaching job? People like Jim Ballard makes sense.

Marlington has three options.

1. Hire a current staff member.
2. Hire a retired teacher that will coach who doesn't need a job within the district.
3. Hire someone in the private sector who has the flexibility to coach.

I know, but I'm willing to avoid the traffic in the Uniontown-Hartville metroplex to go for the real thing. Plus, I'm usually out in the middle of nowhere when I crave an ice cream cone.
lol...the Uniontown-Hartville metroplex....that is funny...never heard Rte 619 described like that

Although Mike can be a handful to deal with. Bashing his weight is inappropriate.

C'MON MAN!
Microfilm Mike Keating might have some crusty tuffness but he's not in the same league as Doerschuk who interviewed such scholars as the poet known as Orpheus Roye.

Last edited: