Mark Mitchell to coach to Wetern Hills

JElder

I think this is a home run hire for West High. I look for them to be a major player within the next 3 years. The man knows how to win in the CMAC and has taken over an awful program (Taft) in the past and led them to a State Title and perennial contenders for City and Regional Championships.

Not very often an assistant coach at a big time Division I program (men's or women's) leaves to go back to a bad HS program. Wonder why he left Ohio State?

So it was all about the daughter and not the program. Super dad left cause Suzette/Cathy is gone ? That's the other problem with coaching ! Coach the kid and leave. Happens a lot. I have an issue with that but I understand . Wish the program well.

It amazes me the negativity on these chats, wonder why he left??? There is no news scoop!
People are entitled to their opinion of what they would do, but in reality very few of us will have the opportunity to do what Coach Mitchell has done!

Great coach, great family man. Tough cat, word to the future players don't try Coach Mark!

Nothing personal with this coach. Just stating too many coaches come in , coach their kid, then leave. Too me , that's a little league, biddy basketball mentality. It's suppose to be about the whole team and the whole program. Far too many today, jump in, then jump out. Not fair to all those other kids.

Western Hills is awful at basketball. Has he started to hire assistant coaches? Great opportunity because of the huge school population. But it is a enormous hill to climb to get them back on track as a respectable team.

him and the head coach at OSU didnt see eye to eye the past few years ,

Kevin McGuff HC at OSU (Badin '88 state champion) and former asst at ND has been in the college level much longer than Mitchell--they got what they both wanted--Kelsey Mitchell coming to OSU and Mark Mitchell able to be there with her for 4 years and get her into the WNBA. Her career is done and so is Mitch at the college level and he'll do fine at West High--end of story--happens all the time in college.:thumb:

Kevin McGuff HC at OSU (Badin '88 state champion) and former asst at ND has been in the college level much longer than Mitchell--they got what they both wanted--Kelsey Mitchell coming to OSU and Mark Mitchell able to be there with her for 4 years and get her into the WNBA. Her career is done and so is Mitch at the college level and he'll do fine at West High--end of story--happens all the time in college.:thumb:

I agree i was just saying that there was some issues going on between 2 coaches , both sides won , Kelsey was going to end up in the WNBA reguardless what school she attend barring major injury in those 4 years . Mark also had some great teams at Taft before he left for OSU he will be ok there just needs time and talent . its sad that Princeton will not hire him.

I agree i was just saying that there was some issues going on between 2 coaches , both sides won , Kelsey was going to end up in the WNBA reguardless what school she attend barring major injury in those 4 years . Mark also had some great teams at Taft before he left for OSU he will be ok there just needs time and talent . its sad that Princeton will not hire him.

I know for a fact that he was up for the Winton Woods boys job. Don't think WW could make it happen financially. The principal at WW was the A.D. at Taft that hired Mitchell

Excellent hire. Hopefully the school administration gives him the necessary support to produce STUDENT-Athletes. FB Coach Tatum seems to be turning things around as well, so this is a great move for West Hi.

He left OSU not because Kelsey left... He wanted to be a HC at the D1 level. Schools passed over him. Their loss and West High's gain!!

He left OSU not because Kelsey left... He wanted to be a HC at the D1 level. Schools passed over him. Their loss and West High's gain!!

No college assistants leave a program in hopes of getting a head coaching job without already having an offer. His services were no longer needed the minute the season ended and Kelsey's career was over.

No man who is capable of being a D1 coach sits and thinks to himself "I wanna be a D1 head coach. They aren't going to hire me?! I'll go coach high school basketball instead!"