Marion Local vs Wapakoneta

Stirred not Shaken

Flyers run defense should be stout (hopefully Meier will be able to play). Offensively Tate Hess is a very athletic QB. Lause not sure of his availability and Kyle Otte (not sure of his availability dealing with an injury) but both are electric type of rb's. Flyers if they stay healthy should have another good running attack. I think for Wapak to win the Redskins will have to have some success throwing the football and slow down ML's running attack.

After seeing each other for the first time last year, I think this will be an interesting rematch at Marion Local this time. The Redskins return much of their defensive front 7 which will be important. Their defensive backs looked questionable at times during their scrimmage with Minster. I agree that Wapak being able to stop the run will be crucial to their defensive efforts.

Offensively, they lose dual-threat QB Goulet along with some others in the back field and on the offensive line. It looks like Wapak's head coach Moyer's son, a freshman, will be the starting QB. He has great potential but being young and tasked with an away game at Marion Local in his debut, I will be interested to see how he performs. He supposedly has a good arm so I will be curious to see if Wapak looks more towards the passing game than they have in recent years. They will need to keep Marion Local's defense guessing if they want to put up any points. Wapak also has a new junior RB who is very athletic and I think could have a breakout year, although this will be tough to gauge against Marion Local's stout defensive.

Overall, this will be a great game for both sides and definitely a good one to watch I think. I think Marion Local wins this one but hopefully not as lopsided as last year.

Marion Local 28 - Wapak 13

Flyers run defense should be stout (hopefully Meier will be able to play). Offensively Tate Hess is a very athletic QB. Lause not sure of his availability and Kyle Otte (not sure of his availability dealing with an injury) but both are electric type of rb's. Flyers if they stay healthy should have another good running attack. I think for Wapak to win the Redskins will have to have some success throwing the football and slow down ML's running attack.
did you see the scrimmage with Loramie and ST marys? your thoughts on the Shelby county FORT?

did you see the scrimmage with Loramie and ST marys? your thoughts on the Shelby county FORT?
No, I did not. Heard that ML shut out St. Marys 14 - 0 in 1 qtr. of play. Did not hear a score on the ML - FL 1 qtr. of play other than FL had some success throwing the football. However, I take scrimmage results with a grain of salt. Most important result is no injuries.

Last edited:
I was at the Wapak scrimmage and first few drives we ran the ball well with and mixed in some passing and defense made the stops. After that it was downhill Yes I know it is a scrimmage but started passing and was not good then defense got no pressure and couldnt stop the pass. I saw a earlier thread and I wasnt that impressed with Moyer's arm but its the first time seeing him. I guess we will see

No, I did not. Heard that ML shut out St. Marys 14 - 0 in 1 qtr. of play. Did not hear a score on the ML - FL 1 qtr. of play other than FL had some success throwing the football. However, I take scrimmage results with a grain of salt. Most important result is no injuries.
ML 7 - 0 over the Fort. You are correct they had a few nice passes but neither team could run on the Flyers...

Marion was impressive in the scrimmage with St. Marys that they took 14-0 and used a good mix of big runs and passes over the Rider secondary.

I'd think Marion should be set up for another great year.

Marion was impressive in the scrimmage with St. Marys that they took 14-0 and used a good mix of big runs and passes over the Rider secondary.

I'd think Marion should be set up for another great year.
Last year I heard ML struggled in their scrimmages and the Flyers went 15 -0. So it tends to reason if ML looked good in their scrimmages in the eyes of yappi posters, the Flyers are in for a tough year.

ML's defensive front is probably going to be really strong against the run. Inexperience in the secondary is a relative weakness. Opposing teams that primarily run - and don't exploit the Flyers' secondary - will likely struggle.

And teams that can't stop the run will struggle against the Flyers. If Wapak starts a frosh at qb, they'd probably have a better chance against ML in week 10 than in week 1.

Last year I heard ML struggled in their scrimmages and the Flyers went 15 -0. So it tends to reason if ML looked good in their scrimmages in the eyes of yappi posters, the Flyers are in for a tough year.
I think with what they have coming back and a great athlete like Tate Hess running the offense they'll be just fine.

ML's defensive front is probably going to be really strong against the run. Inexperience in the secondary is a relative weakness. Opposing teams that primarily run - and don't exploit the Flyers' secondary - will likely struggle.

And teams that can't stop the run will struggle against the Flyers. If Wapak starts a frosh at qb, they'd probably have a better chance against ML in week 10 than in week 1.
I find it hard to believe that Wapak will defeat ML on the road with a freshman QB but that is why they play the game.

Good opening game. Difference was Kyle Otte's punt returns in 2nd half and Drew Seitz dominating play at OLB in 2nd half. A bad snap by Wapak in 1st half set up Flyer's 1st TD otherwise Redskins would have been up 7-0 at half. Wapak QB will be a stud. Hard to believe game 1 is already in the books.

Yes - Moyer is impressive at qb for Wapak. After playing against 8th graders just 10 months ago, he played at a fairly high level in his first varsity game ever.

Wapak o line controlled the line of scrimmage somewhat in the first half and the Redskins moved the ball pretty well in the first two quarters. As Stirred mentioned, Wapak should've been leading going into half - they gave the ball to the Flyers on the 19 yard line on a botched punt attempt.

Flyers were the better team in the second half, but the Redskins are no slouches. I'm hazarding a guess that Wapak will win at least 7 of the nine regular season games remaining. Perhaps only Van Wert is stronger.

Felt like I was watching a Flyers' game from 2020. Seemed like that year whenever they played a solid opponent, they struggled the entire first half. Then they'd eventually wear that team down in the 2nd half. Hopefully they get things going in the first half next week. That was a nice deep pass and catch from Otte to Hess. I'll be surprised if anyone scores 20 on the defense this year.

Felt like I was watching a Flyers' game from 2020. Seemed like that year whenever they played a solid opponent, they struggled the entire first half. Then they'd eventually wear that team down in the 2nd half. Hopefully they get things going in the first half next week. That was a nice deep pass and catch from Otte to Hess. I'll be surprised if anyone scores 20 on the defense this year.
The Flyers lost a lot on both lines from last season. The o line last season was underrated and more depth overall last year and of course no do it all Peyton Otte at QB this year. Still amazing what ML accomplished last year with no Hess, Kyle Otte, Seitz, Buschur for most of the season.

Just curious what the 50/50 was. Always here about the crazy ML-CW 50/50s so interested in what it was on an opening night.

Wapak had a good opening drive until fumbling around the ML 25 yard line. In the 2nd qtr, the Redskins botched a punt that shifted field position greatly and led to ML's first td.

That was very typical MSML, great defense and take advantage of the short field. Their three scores came after Wapak botched a punt and two nice punt returns when the Skins were forced to punt deep in their own territory. Wapak definitely should have went for it on 4th and 1 at midfield, but the way Marion’s D was playing it wasn’t a gimme. Really good high school football game for week 1, I believe both theses teams will have good playoff runs this season.

That was very typical MSML, great defense and take advantage of the short field. Their three scores came after Wapak botched a punt and two nice punt returns when the Skins were forced to punt deep in their own territory. Wapak definitely should have went for it on 4th and 1 at midfield, but the way Marion’s D was playing it wasn’t a gimme. Really good high school football game for week 1, I believe both theses teams will have good playoff runs this season.
Agree. Also defense picked it up a notch when Heitkamp came in at inside linebacker and Seitz was moved to OLB

Just curious what the 50/50 was. Always here about the crazy ML-CW 50/50s so interested in what it was on an opening night.
Wapak had the fans to make for a really nice 50/50 but I’m guessing they aren’t used to buying like MAC fans are, and that’s okay. There usually aren’t that many visiting fans at Booster Stadium. Versailles last year and Coldwater most years are the only ones to fill it up like they did.