PAC 2023

I suspect....and I could be wrong...but the Wayne County schools likely felt like if they didn't put their foot down about Stark County teams being added that certain current PAC schools would have kept pushing Minerva and I don't blame Triway and Orrville for not wanting to add the Lions.

As for not adding any Summit County schools someone really must not want Mogadore and I think Springfield could have worked for the PAC.
You're probably right. Was told that both schools liked the addition of Canton South (facilities, travel, etc) but can imagine everyone has a line for how far they'd go. Especially if at the end of the trip you end up in .... Minerva?

6 posts all in threads about coaches getting fired or hired. Guess that makes you an expert in this area . . .
I mean it’s pretty obvious to see they missed out on a proven HC in Budd, a former Manchester grad in Bohley for a guy who’s never called an offense before. Really not that hard to see how bad this went for the panthers.

I mean it’s pretty obvious to see they missed out on a proven HC in Budd, a former Manchester grad in Bohley for a guy who’s never called an offense before. Really not that hard to see how bad this went for the panthers.
Not disputing your opinion, just the phrasing. Saying "missed out" makes it sound like those other guys got hired away by other schools before your Panthers could get them. This isn't the NCAA D1 mercenary coaching pool. These are high schools with budgets & a specific # of positions.

That said, I'm yet to be convinced Budd would have taken the job. No disrespect to Panther faithful, you have a great history, but seriously doubt the money or optics (leave competitive D1 for a winless D5?) were right. And Bohley is a great dude & has done as well as anyone could at Chippewa, but he's been in the game long enough could the district afford to give him a staff job along with the coaching gig?

Take all the names away and you have a D5 program coming off a winless season about to have their 3rd coach in 4 years. They hired a bright young offensive minded guy who already has a teaching job 10 minutes away. If you're truly disappointed about this then I feel bad for whoever prepares your dinner...

This program survived for years with France calling plays who could fit every play he ran on a single index card, let's not act like calling plays is some fine science

Not disputing your opinion, just the phrasing. Saying "missed out" makes it sound like those other guys got hired away by other schools before your Panthers could get them. This isn't the NCAA D1 mercenary coaching pool. These are high schools with budgets & a specific # of positions.

That said, I'm yet to be convinced Budd would have taken the job. No disrespect to Panther faithful, you have a great history, but seriously doubt the money or optics (leave competitive D1 for a winless D5?) were right. And Bohley is a great dude & has done as well as anyone could at Chippewa, but he's been in the game long enough could the district afford to give him a staff job along with the coaching gig?

Take all the names away and you have a D5 program coming off a winless season about to have their 3rd coach in 4 years. They hired a bright young offensive minded guy who already has a teaching job 10 minutes away. If you're truly disappointed about this then I feel bad for whoever prepares your dinner...
The one thing hurting so many schools is the inability of them to offer teachers who have 10 plus years their full years of service to switch districts. This can definitely hamper coaching searches when looking for people with 10 plus years experience in education as well. I'd say its likely that these things hurt school.

However, I don't think there are any schools in the Fed who are going to challenge the big D1 teams in region 1 for a while. Competitive in the league as a D1 yes Jackson, GlenOak, McKinley are that. Competitive in terms of making a playoff run... no not at the current moment.

Tell the truth, you're just salty that Manchester stole another quality dude from NW.

Teaching at NW & Coaching at Manchester is probably one of the easiest school to after-school commutes any teacher-coach could have.
He is an extremely quality dude! Congrats to Kevin and congrat (;)) to Chesterville.

I was totally serious though in my statement, he definitely has the pedigree to be a head coach - I'm just shocked because of the timing of it, and tbh, thought he'd be on the staff at NW and be a candidate to take over when DeMarco vacates. Now I wonder what staff will join him at Manchester, wondering if coach Stroh has stronger ties to the program or his buddy.....

Also - the talk of the Wayne county schools dictating the voting process seems odd to me. I get that they're going to probably share the same sentiments and vote together....but it's still only 2 votes. I don't see why Triway would say no to Minerva, Mogadore, etc....the drive time to Mogadore, Minerva, CVCA are all within 10 minutes of each other. Does it matter if it's 56 minutes or 1 hour and 2 minutes? I can't imagine that's all that big of a cause for concern at this point they've been making the drive to CVCA for how long now?! And same goes for Orrville, any different than going to Lexington, Mount Vernon, Clearfork? I think the decisions to vote yes/no are less about travel than they are other factors.

Also - the talk of the Wayne county schools dictating the voting process seems odd to me. I get that they're going to probably share the same sentiments and vote together....but it's still only 2 votes. I don't see why Triway would say no to Minerva, Mogadore, etc....the drive time to Mogadore, Minerva, CVCA are all within 10 minutes of each other. Does it matter if it's 56 minutes or 1 hour and 2 minutes? I can't imagine that's all that big of a cause for concern at this point they've been making the drive to CVCA for how long now?! And same goes for Orrville, any different than going to Lexington, Mount Vernon, Clearfork? I think the decisions to vote yes/no are less about travel than they are other factors.
Just my opinion (I don't talk to our admins about this stuff), but if any of those schools were to get admitted, it wouldn't cause us to leave or anything; we'd make it work as we do now. But if we get to vote on it, I'm not going to finally have the sigh of relief of losing a 1-hour drive just to voluntarily vote in another 55-mintue-to-1-hour drive.

Manchester REALLY messed this up, they missed out on choices 1-2 with budd and Bohley which forces their hand into desperate situation. This job will be open again in 2-3 years
You have no idea who they just hired. You don't know the guy and the person he is. You don't know the player he was. You don't know the coach he has been. You don't know his father and his coaching pedigree. You and cronies like you in Manchester are the reason your program is where it is right now. I personally think Kevin is better than this, and frankly, too good for Manchester. You all are lucky he was even interested - don't believe me, fine, yet somehow he beat out "choices 1-2" (who were manchester blue bloods) for the job. 🤷‍♂️

Just my opinion (I don't talk to our admins about this stuff), but if any of those schools were to get admitted, it wouldn't cause us to leave or anything; we'd make it work as we do now. But if we get to vote on it, I'm not going to finally have the sigh of relief of losing a 1-hour drive just to voluntarily vote in another 55-mintue-to-1-hour drive.
Agreed, and hear you. BUT, if the options are 56 minute drive, 1 hour and 2 minute drive, or no drive at all (not add a school)....which are you/which do you think Triway is voting for?

The general consensus was that the league collectively wanted to replace CVCA. So if it came down to adding back an hour drive, or not adding a school at all, I believe the vote would be to add the hour drive. You have to think big picture. If you stay at 7, every school is scrambling to find a 4th non conference game in football which is not going to be an easy task. You're probably looking at a long drive for that. Not to mention picking up 2 games in almost every other sport. It creates major headaches for ADs/coaches. So I would be totally shocked if they don't add SOMEONE to the league.

You have no idea who they just hired. You don't know the guy and the person he is. You don't know the player he was. You don't know the coach he has been. You don't know his father and his coaching pedigree. You and cronies like you in Manchester are the reason your program is where it is right now. I personally think Kevin is better than this, and frankly, too good for Manchester. You all are lucky he was even interested - don't believe me, fine, yet somehow he beat out "choices 1-2" (who were manchester blue bloods) for the job. 🤷‍♂️
I wonder what changed in 3 years though. He was the choice 3 years ago and turned it down at the last second.

Agreed, and hear you. BUT, if the options are 56 minute drive, 1 hour and 2 minute drive, or no drive at all (not add a school)....which are you/which do you think Triway is voting for?

The general consensus was that the league collectively wanted to replace CVCA. So if it came down to adding back an hour drive, or not adding a school at all, I believe the vote would be to add the hour drive. You have to think big picture. If you stay at 7, every school is scrambling to find a 4th non conference game in football which is not going to be an easy task. You're probably looking at a long drive for that. Not to mention picking up 2 games in almost every other sport. It creates major headaches for ADs/coaches. So I would be totally shocked if they don't add SOMEONE to the league.
An 8-team league is optimal, yes. A 7-team league is not the end of the world. While it adds the possibility of long drives for a non-conference game, it also frees up space for local rivalries, as well. My senior year of high school, we were independent. In contrast, a 7-team league is far better, so I, personally, am happy with 7.

Again....I'm just spit balling here....but perhaps someone or a couple of someone's really didn't want Mogadore in the PAC because.....they're pretty damn good. Tuslaw just dropped Dalton. Why would they want Mogadore?

As it stands Tuslaw picked up Warsaw River View as a non-league game. WOW - that is gonna become a rivalry in a packed stadium!!! Have Warsaw River View fans ever had the fish sammich at Bison Street Burgers and Brews? Could Warsaw withstand a Tuslaw tailgate full of Sunny Slope jams and freshly baked bread and moms in minivans with Tuslaw logos in the back window?

I would venture that Triway and Orrville really didn't want Minerva or SV and I would further venture that the 4 Stark County schools in the PAC were pushing for Minerva. So the Wayne County schools needed to end that discussion and draw a line.

My other guesses this morning:

The PAC is going to have to reach out on their own beyond any application process and see if an Akron Springfield is interested. But it's not the end of the world at 7 schools. That can be advantageous.

Some PAC schools perhaps like a 7-team league. If you're Triway or Orrville, this is one extra non-league game where you can possibly add a WCAL opponent or someone in the Ashland County area. If you're Tuslaw, you can add another winnable game (welcome Akron City Series to Mustang Country!) to attempt to add another win per season so you finish 4-6 instead of 3-7. Same with other PAC schools like Manchester or Fairless. You can schedule a weaker non-league opponent with one extra game to fill.

Other deranged comments from me today: Is the hiring of Kevin Stacy at Manchester part of an effort to lure Panther athletic transfers out of the district (especially to Northwest) back into the district? Could the Panther faithful withstand such a return? (Cough, cough).

Last edited:
I don't think you realize the mistake that was made. Beat out doesn't quite mean the same when you're in the good ole boy club. The job description wanted some to restore tradition and pride that the community is built on. "Tradition Doesn't Graduate" well you just threw a bomb on that, with someone who doesn't know.

Too good???? Sure he may be a good person but anyone can be a used car salesman, selling themselves to people who don't know them.

Too good?? Explain to me his head football coach experience? There's a reason there has been many stops on that list pf places. The pressure changes under the lights and everyone wants to be that person until they are that person. The press release says co-offensive coordinator?? He has never called a significant play where he has been. At Waynedale, Coach Zuercher was in that role (also never had success vs a candidate in the running) His role was doing basketball ball handling skills with his QBs pregame. Coach DeMarco has called plays forever he wasn't giving that role up.

I'm sure the new school way of football will be great throwing it around with grades who do not have a TRUE QB among them. What staff comes with him that isn't a rehash of the 2 years they want to erase from memory. People who thought the idea of coaching was fun but weren't invested in the kids.

We will check back in a few years and see how soft of a community and football program are presented through this proces.

I don't think you realize the mistake that was made. Beat out doesn't quite mean the same when you're in the good ole boy club. The job description wanted some to restore tradition and pride that the community is built on. "Tradition Doesn't Graduate" well you just threw a bomb on that, with someone who doesn't know.

Too good???? Sure he may be a good person but anyone can be a used car salesman, selling themselves to people who don't know them.

Too good?? Explain to me his head football coach experience? There's a reason there has been many stops on that list pf places. The pressure changes under the lights and everyone wants to be that person until they are that person. The press release says co-offensive coordinator?? He has never called a significant play where he has been. At Waynedale, Coach Zuercher was in that role (also never had success vs a candidate in the running) His role was doing basketball ball handling skills with his QBs pregame. Coach DeMarco has called plays forever he wasn't giving that role up.

I'm sure the new school way of football will be great throwing it around with grades who do not have a TRUE QB among them. What staff comes with him that isn't a rehash of the 2 years they want to erase from memory. People who thought the idea of coaching was fun but weren't invested in the kids.

We will check back in a few years and see how soft of a community and football program are presented through this proces.
THIS! The Manchester fans I know personally share these sentiments almost to a tee. And that's why we try REALLY HARD to not talk football when we hang out because you can get them spooled up in about 16 seconds.

Manchester has a great tradition, but that does NOT change what the program is today - a winless team in a league that is significantly better than it was the last 30 years. Reminds me of the great graduation speech "You are not special" (
) You can live in the past, but it won't change your future. I'd think Panther fans would be more worried about the future because their present is . . . not great.

Careful. Enough Panther faithful put up posts like this and you may be looking for another coach before the 2023 season kicks off . . .

Yes. Too good for the politics and some of the azzhats that live in Manchester. Until there are major changes in that community, you could hire Bill Belichick and he still wouldn't be successful in that program.

Yes. Too good for the politics and some of the azzhats that live in Manchester. Until there are major changes in that community, you could hire Bill Belichick and he still wouldn't be successful in that program.
For decades change in Manchester was the equivalent of Paris Hilton dating one of Billy Graham's great grandchildren. The problem is, she's now with you in the family car on the way to Sunday school so you better get used to it.

For decades change in Manchester was the equivalent of Paris Hilton dating one of Billy Graham's great grandchildren. The problem is, she's now with you in the family car on the way to Sunday school so you better get used to it.
I thought change in Manchester was a new meatloaf recipe at The Manchester Tavern although the closure of Cope Pharmacy had to be shocking and disheartening.

Just imagine the non-league possibilities with a 7-team PAC and you have one extra game to fill:

Northwest: Coventry is a logical opponent, the Akron City Series would make a lot of sense, Central Catholic would be a good one or create some real buzz and do a 1-2 year contract with Barberton.

Orrville: Adds Dalton. Instant money making extravaganza. If Orrville felt like playing a bigger team (D2), bring back the Ashland Arrows.

Triway: Adds Loudonville or a WCAL team like neighboring Northwestern or brings a Columbus City League team in for a visit to Wayne County. Mansfield Madison could work and that's not far. All are cost savings.

Canton South: Adds Central Catholic or Aquinas. Cost savings and Central would be a decent gate.

Fairless: Could bring back Waynedale to their schedule. They used to play for years.

Manchester: Springfield or - God Forbid - Coventry. Or Akron City Series or Doylestown.

Tuslaw.....Vanlue Wildcats.**

Akron City Series ala Firestone or Akron North if they can put together 15 players could work for Tuslaw.

What sort of offense does Stacy run? Any idea of what sort of defensive set he prefers. The talent pool at Manchester is pretty typical of a small D5 school, so he won't be able to force schemes. He's going to have to play the cards he's dealt, and that means adjusting his strategy and schemes to the personnel he has.

Just imagine the non-league possibilities with a 7-team PAC and you have one extra game to fill:

Northwest: Coventry is a logical opponent, the Akron City Series would make a lot of sense, Central Catholic would be a good one or create some real buzz and do a 1-2 year contract with Barberton.

Orrville: Adds Dalton. Instant money making extravaganza. If Orrville felt like playing a bigger team (D2), bring back the Ashland Arrows.

Triway: Adds Loudonville or a WCAL team like neighboring Northwestern or brings a Columbus City League team in for a visit to Wayne County. Mansfield Madison could work and that's not far. All are cost savings.

Canton South: Adds Central Catholic or Aquinas. Cost savings and Central would be a decent gate.

Fairless: Could bring back Waynedale to their schedule. They used to play for years.

Manchester: Springfield or - God Forbid - Coventry. Or Akron City Series or Doylestown.

Tuslaw.....Vanlue Wildcats.**

Akron City Series ala Firestone or Akron North if they can put together 15 players could work for Tuslaw.
Does the WCAL have open dates weeks 4-10?

I think under the league bylaws there can only be one "no" vote. Two no votes kills whatever is being voted on. I may be wrong on this, but I think that's how it works.

I think under the league bylaws there can only be one "no" vote. Two no votes kills whatever is being voted on. I may be wrong on this, but I think that's how it works.
I actually started typing the question of this in my OP.....wasn't sure if it was must majority, 2/3's....something like that....if that's the case though where 2 votes kills something, then how did they come to the agreement to add anyone to begin with?! Seems its hard to get people to agree to anything these days!