Manager accuses LLWS team of stealing signs

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Pat Dutton, the manager of the team from Goffstown, New Hampshire, which lost to Barrington in Saturday's region final, made the accusation after the game in Bristol, Connecticut.

"You can see [runners on second base] leaning in, looking in and they're doing hand gestures to their kid [at the plate] indicating what kind of pitch it is and where it's located," Dutton told the New Hampshire Union Leader. "You can do that in big league ball, but in Little League it's unsportsmanlike, it's dishonorable and it's disgusting.

Thats baseball.
1. The coach for the team hitting should coach them up better on how to be less obvious.
2. Fielding teams coach needs to teach them to mix their signs up.

That's Not Little League Baseball, in LL it is against the rules and if the umpire deems it happening both the coach and player are ejected.

That’s one of the reasons why Little League is not “Real” Baseball! For the Umpires to have to watch/get involved in watching everyone for sign stealing is completely assinine! No wonder LL and Baseball in general are in desperate need of Umpires.

Never heard that wasn't a rule in LL. Then again our LL you can only throw fastball and change ups and location....at that age, Gimme a break.

After a quick Google search it does appear to be illegal in LL. Hard to prove but I can't fault the losing coach for being mad the other team is breaking the rules.

After a quick Google search it does appear to be illegal in LL. Hard to prove but I can't fault the losing coach for being mad the other team is breaking the rules.

If an Assistant Coach is sitting in dugout stealing signs and relaying signs to the Coaches or Players on the Field. How is that Assistant Coach supposed to be watched? Umpires have enough to worry about on the Field these days.

Heck when I coached Little League there was no reason to give signs because curve balls were illegal.

Did the opposing mgr or players accused of stealing signs get ejected? If not, guess it didn't happen.

This totally rubs me the wrong way, but its the way its all going these days.
With travel teams and social media these kids are friends with most people they play against and can't separate friendship from competition.
I have buddies from HS that I played summer ball with and we still take jabs at each other from games when we played against each other.
We all point out the championships we won vs each other. I would rather talk crap to my buddies later than high five them after they hit a tater off of one of my guys.

They're kids....what do you want them to do? Bean the next batter up? Lighten up and let the kids play the game and have fun.
I want them to wait until after the game before congratulating the other team.

I’m not sure it’s being “soft”. Sportsmanship and Safety have become way more of a point of emphasis for participants,officials then they ever have in sports before.

Anyway, watching bits of the NJ v OR game and the umps blew a massive call. Kid from NJ ran WAY out of the baseline to avoid a tag and should’ve been the final out of the inning. Instead, he’s called safe and somehow nobody notices, NJ scores 2 more runs in the inning.

I remember, as a pitcher in LL in the 80s that I walked over and gave a high five to a kid who hit a HR off of me, when he rounded third. Don't know really why I did it but good sportsmanship isn't new.

Would rather see that than what I witnessed from Gahanna Elite parents, moms mind you , after they got beat this past summer. Nasty nasty nasty f bombs

You truly are an idiot and clueless on Sportmanship!
Sportsmanship is congratulating him after the game, not as he’s rounding the bases after hitting a HR off you. There’s a time and place for everything.

Sportsmanship is congratulating him after the game, not as he’s rounding the bases after hitting a HR off you. There’s a time and place for everything.

I know you would rather they do what you did, which is stand off to the side (during the game) and scream obscenities at the Head Coach. (with women and children standing right there)

Little League is about what happened in the video.

I know you would rather they do what you did, which is stand off to the side (during the game) and scream obscenities at the Head Coach. (with women and children standing right there)

Little League is about what happened in the video.

I’d rather they save this for after the game. It shows a lack of competitiveness. It’s also worth noting, this HR broke a 0-0 game late.

Your have know idea about youth sports!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d rather they save this for after the game. It shows a lack of competitiveness. It’s also worth noting, this HR broke a 0-0 game late.

Sorry, it's laughable to see you tell folks what sportsmanship is all about. Save your "badass" attitude for your school forum.

What LL promotes regarding sportsmanship is one of the only things that they do that I agree with.

Sorry, it's laughable to see you tell folks what sportsmanship is all about. Save your "badass" attitude for your school forum.

What LL promotes regarding sportsmanship is one of the only things that they do that I agree with.
It’s not “bad ” and that goes way beyond sportsmanship. That’s not a healthy competitive attitude.