Malone dropping football

Lefthook37

It broke in the Canton Rep that Malone Collage is dropping football, nice 5 kids from last years Mck team signed with them, still have to pay there schooling but no ball

It broke in the Canton Rep that Malone Collage is dropping football, nice 5 kids from last years Mck team signed with them, still have to pay there schooling but no ball

Article says they are going to honor same financial aid and scholarship money for students enrolled currently, so all they are really out is the experience of football.

I knew a basketball player who had a full ride from them withdrawn 5 years ago, that hurts a little more than not playing football I would suspect. Guess it depends on the person.

It's simple supply and demand. There are a ridiculous number of colleges in Ohio that have football. The issue is compounded 100x in the NE part of the state, seems like every 3 miles there is a small college with football. It is unfortunate for those young men that played for Malone, but the school overall will be just fine.

It's simple supply and demand. There are a ridiculous number of colleges in Ohio that have football. The issue is compounded 100x in the NE part of the state, seems like every 3 miles there is a small college with football. It is unfortunate for those young men that played for Malone, but the school overall will be just fine.

Overall ridiculous number of college in NE Ohio period. Malone's tuition has increased over the years and enrollment is dropping. I am surprised they are still open to be honest. When they started construction on the new project I was shocked. I thought they were putting a football field in there, but I guess not.

This really stinks for the players, coaches, and their families. At least the players get to keep their scholarships. I feel for the coaches who lost their jobs and have to try to find work.

Overall ridiculous number of college in NE Ohio period. Malone's tuition has increased over the years and enrollment is dropping. I am surprised they are still open to be honest. When they started construction on the new project I was shocked. I thought they were putting a football field in there, but I guess not.

The Pioneer Park project was primarily intended for baseball but was also to include multi-use fields for football practice (games still to be played at Benson), softball, soccer, intramurals, etc. However, I was told months ago that the donor pulled the remainder of the funding for the project. The project got as far as to erect a large retaining wall that's visible from the highway, but I have no idea what's on top or behind it right now.

Malone obviously existed for a long time without a football program, so they obviously had plenty of other programming to attract past students. We'll see if they can do it again, but the discontinuation of the football program appears to be a symptom of a larger financial issue at the university.

When one examines the number of schools listed in the College Board/AP testing catalog for where kids can send their standardized test scores, you begin to wonder how all of these schools can sustain themselves in the face of tuition that is increasing at rates exceeding both population growth and many peoples' income growth. Plus, not all of these schools have massive endowments to maintain affordability and get them through the rougher patches when enrollment takes a nosedive. Something eventually has to give.

Aside from Antioch College closing down for a few years in the late '00s, has any other Ohio college gone out of business in recent years?

Most unfortunate for those kids on scholly. We have a local football player who just finished his sophomore season, having started his first two years. What's difficult to deal with, is the young man had other offers out of high school, but elected to attend Malone after being convinced the program was stable, and moving forward in the pursuit of relevance. Obviously, that now has been proven not to be the case. Options now probably include hoping to catch on with another school/football program. Might not be so easy, as most scholarships for next year may have already been accounted for.

They haven't had a winning record since 2008. From 2009 to the present they are 18-83. I'd say they dropped football a decade ago.

Coach Fred Thomas worked very hard to establish a program. It appeared he was fighting a good battle and was bringing in some good kids.. feel bad for this university.

Coach Fred Thomas worked very hard to establish a program. It appeared he was fighting a good battle and was bringing in some good kids.. feel bad for this university.

He sure was,a good man I'm sure will land on his feet somewhere he can teach young men football.

Tough spot for the kids. As was mentioned before, national signing day for D1 and D2 is the 6th and most scholarships are spoken for. There may be a few who get lucky and snag an offer and commit, but more than likely they will be walking on somewhere in the fall trying to earn a scholarship. The worst part is the timing, had this been done before the 2nd semester started, transfers would have been able to get somewhere for classes and then spring ball. Now they have to wait.

Question: I see they are honoring scholarships, but is that just for this year? I would assume so.

Joe Dunn used to have Coach Thomas on the radio fairly often and he seemed to be a good guy who was working hard. Football is an expensive sport for a school and when there's little success in a program it's an obvious target on a cut list.

Tough spot for the kids. As was mentioned before, national signing day for D1 and D2 is the 6th and most scholarships are spoken for. There may be a few who get lucky and snag an offer and commit, but more than likely they will be walking on somewhere in the fall trying to earn a scholarship. The worst part is the timing, had this been done before the 2nd semester started, transfers would have been able to get somewhere for classes and then spring ball. Now they have to wait.

Question: I see they are honoring scholarships, but is that just for this year? I would assume so.

I believe the newspaper article indicated they were honoring scholarships for "however many years" were left for them on a 4-year plan.

Yeah, im interested to see what Jaret will do.

The issue is more the high school players that were committed and ready to sign LOIs this week. They get nothing.

I believe the newspaper article indicated they were honoring scholarships for "however many years" were left for them on a 4-year plan.

after listening to WHBC podcast because someone put me up to it (I feel whbc is trash now)

I am left with one question and two comments.
comment - Fred Thomas is a class act - Sad but understandably economics drives this decision
question - does the goof on the radio joe palmersano or whatever, does he know that the Malone program starting or closing had nothing to do with him or his ego?

what a mule

My Son played at Notre Dame College and this past season they were in the Final 4 for D2. That's a program on the rise.

Fred was finally getting some nice kids from Stark,hope they find a place to play and learn.

Very classy of Malone to honor full scholarship commitments for those who received them.
I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Malone athletics in general. Will be interesting to hear if any other sports get cut in the near future. If they can't keep one of their main revenue sports afloat, I wonder what's next.

after listening to WHBC podcast because someone put me up to it (I feel whbc is trash now)

I am left with one question and two comments.
comment - Fred Thomas is a class act - Sad but understandably economics drives this decision
question - does the goof on the radio joe palmersano or whatever, does he know that the Malone program starting or closing had nothing to do with him or his ego?

what a mule

Were you aware Joe Palmisano was Malone's first head coach when they started playing football in 1993?

Very classy of Malone to honor full scholarship commitments for those who received them.
I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Malone athletics in general. Will be interesting to hear if any other sports get cut in the near future. If they can't keep one of their main revenue sports afloat, I wonder what's next.

Umm...Malone football wasn't making money. It will be interesting to see how it affects total enrollment. The school is not that big and could lose 50+ students should the football guys transfer

Umm...Malone football wasn't making money. It will be interesting to see how it affects total enrollment. The school is not that big and could lose 50+ students should the football guys transfer

Compared to the other sports that bring in ZERO dollars, at least the football program brought something in. Obviously it's the most expensive to run, but the point still stands.

Malone enrollment is around 1700 right now. Losing 50 guys isn't going to kill them. Most people aren't going to Malone for sports.