Makur Maker

Five-star basketball prospect Makur Maker commits to Howard University to 'make the HBCU movement real'

A few months ago, it seemed unlikely that Makur Maker would ever play college basketball. Now, he is about to make college basketball history. The five-star center from the Class of 2020 committed to play for Howard University on Friday, making him the highest-rated player to commit to an HBCU in the 247Sports era.

Maker chose Howard over Kentucky, Memphis and UCLA, making the announcement on Twitter early Friday morning.

It’s his choice, but it’s dumb. This idea that these big time athletes are exploited is dumb. Nobody is more pampered than major D1 athletes. They get in all the parties, the best, and the easiest classes. All of the black nationalists like Jemele Hill, who want black athletes to basically segregate, should wonder why so many athletes date white women.

Last edited by a moderator:
White Racists: “blacks should have their own schools and sports league”

Progressive woke leftists: “People of color should no longer have to suffer under white oppression. They deserve their own schools and sports leagues.”

I agree with pboyt about the segregation point... that’s basically what’s being encouraged “black teams” and “white teams”

That said I love seeing small schools get big recruits so I’m all for it. I bet he is able to get some other recruits to follow him there and I bet other HBCU schools might snag some 4 or 5 star guys soon also

This is a very interesting time for small and mid majors because aau was effectively cancelled there’s going to be a ton of current Hs juniors and seniors flying under the radar

I agree with pboyt about the segregation point... that’s basically what’s being encouraged “black teams” and “white teams”

That said I love seeing small schools get big recruits so I’m all for it. I bet he is able to get some other recruits to follow him there and I bet other HBCU schools might snag some 4 or 5 star guys soon also

I don’t think Maker will have any real impact bc apparently, he’s not that well liked on the AAU circuit. The kid who really could have a big impact is the top incoming freshman in HS, whose name I’m blanking on, said he might go to an HBCU.

This all sees moot bc I believe the one and done rule will be over when the next CB contract comes up in 2022.

This is still a disturbing ideology taking root. You’re seeing segregation dressed up under the guise of black empowerment and people are afraid to call it out. Sports are supposed to be a unifier in this country, but now these radical racial politics are threatening that.

Last edited:
It’s his choice, but it’s dumb. This idea that these big time athletes are exploited is dumb. Nobody is more pampered than major D1 athletes. They get in all the parties, the best, and the easiest classes. All of the black nationalists like Jemele Hill, who want black athletes to basically segregate, should wonder why so many athletes date white women.

He just picked the coolest university in the country,

Last edited by a moderator:
Five-star basketball prospect Makur Maker commits to Howard University to 'make the HBCU movement real'

When I read last fall that Maker and Josh Christopher 2 big time hoop recruits were visiting Howard, I was a bit skeptical about how serious they may have been. When I saw that Maker visited during homecoming week, i said well now that may change everything. For those of you unfamiliar there is nothing quite like Howard University homecoming (literally world famous).

He just picked the coolest university in the country,

Not really and you’re forgetting he’s not all that well like among his peers in the AAU circuit. He’s not going to bring anyone with him to Howard. The most he’ll be able to do is get them into the Tournament, but that’s it,

It is funny all of these athletes are now saying how important education is and that’s what schools like Notre Dame, Stanford and Northwestern have been preaching for decades and it’s almost always fallen on deaf ears.

Last edited:
Good for Howard and the kid. I'm somewhat surprised this doesn't happen more often in basketball with kids choosing mid-majors, Ivy's, and HBCUs. If you have legit talent where you attend college has little impact on your pro stock IMO. Go somewhere where you feel you'll get the best combination of education and lifestyle.

Good for Howard and the kid. I'm somewhat surprised this doesn't happen more often in basketball with kids choosing mid-majors, Ivy's, and HBCUs. If you have legit talent where you attend college has little impact on your pro stock IMO. Go somewhere where you feel you'll get the best combination of education and lifestyle.
I always thought LeBron should have committed to Akron. He was always going to go straight to the NBA but it would have been a great gesture for him to say he was going to go to his hometown University, especially with his old coach already the head coach there.

I always thought LeBron should have committed to Akron. He was always going to go straight to the NBA but it would have been a great gesture for him to say he was going to go to his hometown University, especially with his old coach already the head coach there.
That would have been really cool, could have said he was doing it to stay with his high school teammate Romeo Travis. It always seemed like he has been a huge fan of Ohio State. He has given Akron U a lot of love with his foundation though.

This is pretty cool for Howard. And cool for Makur, too. I really see nothing wrong with him opting to play for an HBCU.

Yeah. Lebron would have went to Akron if he had to play one year. It would have been pretty cool. Lebron only said he would have went to OSU because of money

This is pretty cool for Howard. And cool for Makur, too. I really see nothing wrong with him opting to play for an HBCU.
It’s not “wrong” but the posturing is annoying. D1 Athletes in football and basketball at all schools are treated like royalty.

When I saw that Maker visited during homecoming week, i said well now that may change everything. For those of you unfamiliar there is nothing quite like Howard University homecoming (literally world famous).
Like I said

" The more I got closer to that October trip to Howard, the more I kept hearing I was about to have the time of my life. Somebody told me that there was no homecoming like a Howard homecoming. I understood what they were saying once I got on campus.

I’ve visited a lot of schools unofficially since I was a freshman in high school, but that weekend ,,,,, "

It’s not “wrong” but the posturing is annoying. D1 Athletes in football and basketball at all schools are treated like royalty.
Excellent article on his decision making. For an 18/19 year old kid seems decently thought out. LIke Nwwarrior09 said, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

"my coach pulled me aside one day and said, ‘why don’t you think about Howard.’

At first, I didn’t pay it much mind because I was focused on my high school season. But when the season was over, I started to do a little research and got a chance to learn a bit about Howard’s history.

I saw that leaders like Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, writer Toni Morrison, Rep. Elijah Cummings and Sen. Kamala Harris, entertainment moguls like Diddy, and also the first African American Nobel Prize winner Ralph Bunche, attended Howard.

Anthony Anderson and Chadwick Boseman went there, and they’re two of my favorite actors.

Then I began to dig into Howard’s history a little more and discovered there was a strong list of academics, politicians, singers, actors, civil rights activists and persons known around the world that all came from the same school. A Black school. All incredibly talented people who showed what you could do in life if you went to Howard. That was enough information for me to plan a visit, "

Another article talking to Butch Beard the last coach to get Howard into the NCAA tourney (they lost to Kansas, they also played a Jimmy Jackson led Ohio State team that year in the regular season) briefly talking about trying to recruit Rasheed Wallace after making the tourney.

"Beard was the last coach to direct the Howard Bison to the NCAA Tournament. ,,,,,, One benefit from that run was Beard landed an in-home recruiting visit with a 5-star prospect. Beard was the coach who followed Dean Smith of North Carolina into the home of Wallace, who grew up in Philadelphia.

“I tried to sell Rasheed on the same vision (as Maker) that he could be a game changer, a player who could inspire more top black players to play at historically black universities,” Beard said.

“We had a great visit. If he would have visited (Howard), I would have gotten him. Trust me. If he would have come down, he never would have left.”

That last line by Beard about if Rasheed had of visited, man i feel that and I believe it!

Excellent article on his decision making. For an 18/19 year old kid seems decently thought out. LIke Nwwarrior09 said, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

"my coach pulled me aside one day and said, ‘why don’t you think about Howard.’

At first, I didn’t pay it much mind because I was focused on my high school season. But when the season was over, I started to do a little research and got a chance to learn a bit about Howard’s history.

I saw that leaders like Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, writer Toni Morrison, Rep. Elijah Cummings and Sen. Kamala Harris, entertainment moguls like Diddy, and also the first African American Nobel Prize winner Ralph Bunche, attended Howard.

Anthony Anderson and Chadwick Boseman went there, and they’re two of my favorite actors.

Then I began to dig into Howard’s history a little more and discovered there was a strong list of academics, politicians, singers, actors, civil rights activists and persons known around the world that all came from the same school. A Black school. All incredibly talented people who showed what you could do in life if you went to Howard. That was enough information for me to plan a visit, "

Another article talking to Butch Beard the last coach to get Howard into the NCAA tourney (they lost to Kansas, they also played a Jimmy Jackson led Ohio State team that year in the regular season) briefly talking about trying to recruit Rasheed Wallace after making the tourney.

"Beard was the last coach to direct the Howard Bison to the NCAA Tournament. ,,,,,, One benefit from that run was Beard landed an in-home recruiting visit with a 5-star prospect. Beard was the coach who followed Dean Smith of North Carolina into the home of Wallace, who grew up in Philadelphia.

“I tried to sell Rasheed on the same vision (as Maker) that he could be a game changer, a player who could inspire more top black players to play at historically black universities,” Beard said.

“We had a great visit. If he would have visited (Howard), I would have gotten him. Trust me. If he would have come down, he never would have left.”

That last line by Beard about if Rasheed had of visited, man i feel that and I believe it!
The undefeated is a Black Nationalist outlet. Again, seems you really want sports to be segregated. Only an idiot thinks these kids are “oppressed” by playing at P5 schools, they’re treated like royalty on campuses.

The undefeated is a Black Nationalist outlet. Again, seems you really want sports to be segregated. Only an idiot thinks these kids are “oppressed” by playing at P5 schools, they’re treated like royalty on campuses.
The article says nothing about being oppressed at a power 5 school. As for segregated sports there is nothing stopping White athletes from matriculating at Howard as some currently do. Unlike many schools in the Power 5, Howard has never denied admission to students because of their skin color. (Howard's first students were 5 White female students, daughters of two of the founders)

Lol, pboy hates the fact this kid went to a hbcu.

Lol, pboy hates the fact this kid went to a hbcu.
No, I hate the idea that they’re treated unfairly at P5 schools. I’m also tired of hearing about how important academics are when kids are only going to be in school for a year. I’m also annoyed bc I mentioned other P5 schools have been preaching about this for decades and were constantly ignored.

The article says nothing about being oppressed at a power 5 school. As for segregated sports there is nothing stopping White athletes from matriculating at Howard as some currently do. Unlike many schools in the Power 5, Howard has never denied admission to students because of their skin color. (Howard's first students were 5 White female students, daughters of two of the founders)

Jemele Hill wrote an article about this about a yr ago pushing the idea recruits should go to HBCUs bc they weren’t “appreciated” by P5. IDC where he goes, I’m just tired of hearing about how the athletes are “exploited” when they live better than any other student. And I don’t have a problem with them actually having those perks, but people need to stop acting like they don’t exist.