Mahoning Valley Playoff Thread

iam416

I know there will be separate threads for some of the games, but for Valley fans interested in discussing the playoff picture in general, here's a thread.

ROUND 2

Poland vs. Indian Creek
South Range vs. Kirtland
Springfield vs. Trimble
JFK vs. Cuyahoga Heights

ROUND 1
Division 2, Region 5

Warren Harding at Massillon (I'm assuming Willoughby South picks up the L2 points)

Division 4, Region 13
Girard at Perry
Struthers at Poland
Hubbard at Indian Creek
Salem at CVCA (whether Salem beats WB or not, they should get the L2 points)

Division 5, Region 17
South Range vs. Bellaire (location TBD)

Division 6, Region 21
BCWR at Springfield
Southern at Trimble

Divsion 7, Region 25
JFK at Independence
McDonald at Lucas

Last edited:

For R2, Harding has zero chance. It's just a matter of waiting for that Hoban-Massillon game.

For R13, Salem and Hubbard ended up with the two most winnable games. I think the latter will win. I expect the Poland-Struthers winner to play Perry. Duh.

For R17, South Range is probably the 2nd best team in the region, but Kirtland is the best. Of all the divisions, Kirtland has to be the biggest favorite to win state (maybe Marion Local in D7).

For R21, I think Springfield is the slight favorite, but I don't know anything about Trimble. They played terrible teams and gave up 6 points all year. Mogadore, of course, will also be very tough.

For R25, I would think that CH or Lucas or STA would win that region and that no valley team is going to really challenge.

If Bellaire wins today, does that mean they will flip-flop with Range and host them in week 11?

Looks that way and unless Bellaire added lights since the last time I was there they either have to play in the afternoon or relocate the game to a neutral field. Hopefully MF will beat them today and that won't matter.

Yeah, the big win last night was Manchester beating CVCA. That pushed South Range and Bellaire into the 4/5 game. I don't think it's going to matter where it's played in terms of outcome, just who has to drive forever to get there (and, I guess, when it's played).

This is a really down year for Mahoning Valley football. Is this the worst year in recent memory?

For R2, Harding has zero chance. It's just a matter of waiting for that Hoban-Massillon game.

Did you go to the week 3 game? Massillon spent the first part of the game unsuccessfully looking for the deep ball to Jayden Ballard. Meanwhile, Harding went up 7-0 and could’ve went up 14, but they turned it over on downs deep in Massillon territory. That’s when Massillon started clicking, but Harding eventually settled down defensively and started to build momentum. Unfortunately, they threw a pick 6 and it broke their will, which is why the final score got out of hand.

As a Harding fan, I’ve seen us play St. Ignatius, St. Ed’s, Mentor, Massillon, and Cincinnati Elder in the same postseason. Different era, but I’m glad that this group will get the opportunity to redeem theirselves and show how far they’ve come. Massillon is an outstanding team, but if you’re not striving to play against the best teams, you have no business being on the field.

And, we get to go to one of the most beautiful, stories facilities in the country. Win or lose, I’m looking forward to potentially going to Massillon.

Nope. Wasn't there. Hopefully Harding can pull the upset. But, I'd be stunned. I mean, absolutely floored.

In region 25 do not count out JFK. They haven't played a complete game yet but are getting closer. I wouldn't be shocked at all if the Eagles win the region.

Martins Ferry did beat Bellaire today so South Range will be hosting the Big Reds in week 11. Good luck to the Raiders and all the local teams.

This is a really down year for Mahoning Valley football. Is this the worst year in recent memory?

It looks good on paper but In D 4, the bottom 3 or 4 don’t make the playoffs in any other region. So does that mean D4 is down. See how it plays out.

Still good for the kids to be able to advance their seasons. Good luck to all teams! Make some noise!

Also if the NE8 wasn’t so competitive most teams would have a lot more points
True. Poland v Struthers will be a great battle. Girard/Perry hmmmm. Maybe not so much. Hopefully we can score and stay in it. No depth to replace the linemen that went down. And the Pirates will come in lookin for paybacks.

True. Poland v Struthers will be a great battle. Girard/Perry hmmmm. Maybe not so much. Hopefully we can score and stay in it. No depth to replace the linemen that went down. And the Pirates will come in lookin for paybacks.
Struthers Poland winner will meet Perry in week 13.

Outside of Massillon, Jackson and McKinley, Stark county was a little disappointing too. Lake, NC, Louisville, GO and EBC conference all didn't have the seasons they were expected. Canfield, Poland and Niles went to Stark early in the season and got big wins, the NE8 had a good OOC record but Fitch/ Boardman season was weak. If Niles and Canfield were in D2 or D4 they would have been in playoffs too. So, I wouldn't say Mahoning Valley was down just because Fitch and Boardman were down.

Outside of Massillon, Jackson and McKinley, Stark county was a little disappointing too. Lake, NC, Louisville, GO and EBC conference all didn't have the seasons they were expected. Canfield, Poland and Niles went to Stark early in the season and got big wins, the NE8 had a good OOC record but Fitch/ Boardman season was weak. If Niles and Canfield were in D2 or D4 they would have been in playoffs too. So, I wouldn't say Mahoning Valley was down just because Fitch and Boardman were down.
That's not the reason for me. Maybe a small reason but definitely not the main reason.

I don’t think you can say Fitch was down as much as you can say they are very young and lost Coach Anarella (arguably best coach in the area) before the season. Nobody in the area besides Harding 10-7 would have beat a “down” Fitch team this year. Even down years for Fitch and Harding they are head and shoulders above ANY area teams.

I don’t think you can say Fitch was down as much as you can say they are very young and lost Coach Anarella (arguably best coach in the area) before the season. Nobody in the area besides Harding 10-7 would have beat a “down” Fitch team this year. Even down years for Fitch and Harding they are head and shoulders above ANY area teams.
The thing is, this area has become, mostly a D4 to D7 area, because of the population decline.

Mooney almost beat fitch, fitch was young and just no very good for their size. Duh they would beat D4 and D5 schools

Fitch wasn't down, they were a young team, decimated by injuries, who lost to 5 playoff teams ,2 of which are potentially state champions .

Traditional playoff contenders Mooney ursline Fitch and boardman were down. Canfield and niles were good this year but caught in region 3:9. NE8 took care of business and represented the valley well.

Range is going to roll them up like an old carpet

I just want to see them advance. I do like their chances though. I can't say the same for most of the other match-ups involving local teams however.

I hope I'm wrong but I just can't see Harding or Girard winning. Normally I would really like Hubbard's chances against IC but the Eagles have staggered into the playoffs with two bad losses in weeks 9 & 10. Hopefully they get back on the winning track in week 11. Can they pull off a 1991 Warren JFK style playoff run? Highly unlikely. Struthers has also lost two in a row coming in but they did play Poland tough. Obviously that is an all local match up so one will advance. Same in R21 with Springfield vs BCWR. Have to go with the Tigers again in this rematch.

Salem vs. CVCA? I know Salem only played two teams with winning records and lost to both. CVCA lost to the better teams on their schedule as well. To my knowledge this will be their first home playoff game and they are looking for their first playoff victory.

Brookfield at Mogadore? I have to give the edge to the Wildcats. Southern at Trimble. The only thing I know about this year's Tomcats is that they have only allowed 6 points on the season while scoring just under 50 ppg. Tall task for Southern.

I do like JFK against Independence. McDonald at Lucas? Lucas beat LaBrae by 14. I do think McD is a better team than LaBrae. We shall soon see.

Good luck to all the Mahoning Valley teams.