Madison leaving WRC

Madison is not competitive in football and that is the issue with WRC. The problem for the WRC is that they have an inflated sense of value to others outside of conference. Aurora and Nordonia don’t need the WRC, they are set in good conferences now. These two schools are better situated geographically and competitively now. The WRC fans then think Shaker or Euclid or even Bedford. These schools do not align academically or diversity wise. Remember the reason Shaker left GCC? Situation not better in WRC. Euclid and Shaker are also division 1 in football, WRC is division 2-3. Finally WRC fans say merge with CVC. Why would CVC want this? Geneva was booted from former PAC, Lakeside not welcomed and Madison just left it. Bottom line WRC is stuck!!
I think you make valid points about the problem with WRC and their current situation. I also agree the SL is fine conference both athletically and academically. However, Nordonia cannot compete against the larger National Schools in football for a title.

The CVC is demonstrating what needs to occur to sustain a conference long term. They have been open about wanting to promote a variety of schools and communities so there student-athletes are having the opportunity to interact with all different people of the world (private schools, Christian, urban, rural schools together). If the WRC is unwilling to move forward like this, I agree with you they are stuck.

The reason Geneva and Madison did not want to remain in the WRC long term is because they were small fish in a big pond like Nordonia is in the SL National. As long as the WRC were to make up a separate division of the CVC, which would eliminate most of the smaller CVC schools from having to compete with them on a regular basis, I don't see the problem.

I think you make valid points about the problem with WRC and their current situation. I also agree the SL is fine conference both athletically and academically. However, Nordonia cannot compete against the larger National Schools in football for a title.

The CVC is demonstrating what needs to occur to sustain a conference long term. They have been open about wanting to promote a variety of schools and communities so there student-athletes are having the opportunity to interact with all different people of the world (private schools, Christian, urban, rural schools together). If the WRC is unwilling to move forward like this, I agree with you they are stuck.

The reason Geneva and Madison did not want to remain in the WRC long term is because they were small fish in a big pond like Nordonia is in the SL National. As long as the WRC were to make up a separate division of the CVC, which would eliminate most of the smaller CVC schools from having to compete with them on a regular basis, I don't see the problem.
I’ll be honest, I don’t see the CVC lasting 3-4 more years. Too many cooks in the kitchen, and you’re going to get to the point when schools are over the long trips requiring crossovers due to the amount of schools per division.

Initially I thought the WRC was going to be stable because when you look at it, it was one of the few 8 team conferences left, but clearly that’s not the case. I think we are a few years away from another big time realignment, with the exception of (maybe) the Suburban League.

I’ll be honest, I don’t see the CVC lasting 3-4 more years. Too many cooks in the kitchen, and you’re going to get to the point when schools are over the long trips requiring crossovers due to the amount of schools per division.

Initially I thought the WRC was going to be stable because when you look at it, it was one of the few 8 team conferences left, but clearly that’s not the case. I think we are a few years away from another big time realignment, with the exception of (maybe) the Suburban League.
I thought the same thing about the WRC seemed extremely stable.

Crestwood is not happy in the CVC exploring other ways
And they left so their swimming and golf teams would have more competition and offerings than Portage Trail....then immediately dropped both sports!! Strange happenings in that district. From closing a more up to date middle school and cramming students 7,8 in to a high school that is clearly outdated and too small. In fact students are eating lunch in the gym due to space. Then keeping the closed middle school open for administration and activities. And adding air conditioning!!

The CVC has been around since 1964. Chagrin Falls has been a member since 1964. I'll believe it when I see it.

These divisions of the CVC might eventually lead to separate geographic conferences. But if that happens, the CVC will still remain with some of the longer standing members (Chagrin, West G, Beachwood, Orange, etc.)

These divisions of the CVC might eventually lead to separate geographic conferences. But if that happens, the CVC will still remain with some of the longer standing members (Chagrin, West G, Beachwood, Orange, etc.)
The size of the league is very likely what helps the league gain the corporate sponsorships to offer unique services to the schools and student-athletes, like media day for each season. That is exposure for the league's athletes that no other conference offers.

Thank your for clarifying. I should’ve said the current format of the CVC as it currently stands.

When the WRC joining the CVC makes sense (two options):

RIVER
Chardon
Kenston
Mayfield
North
Riverside
South

CHAGRIN
Chagrin Falls
Hawken
Lutheran West
Orange
Perry
West Geauga

LAKE
Conneaut
Edgewood
Geneva
Jefferson
Lakeside
Madison

VALLEY
Berkshire
Cardinal
Crestwood
Grand Valley
Harvey
Kirtland

METRO
Beachwood
Brooklyn
Cuyahoga Heights
Independence
Trinity
Wickliffe

CHAGRIN
Chardon
Kenston
Mayfield
North
Riverside
South
West Geauga

LAKE
Conneaut
Edgewood
Geneva
Jefferson
Lakeside
Perry
Madison

VALLEY
Berkshire
Cardinal
Crestwood
Grand Valley
Harvey
Hawken
Kirtland
Wickliffe

METRO
Beachwood
Brooklyn
Chagrin Falls
Cuyahoga Heights
Independence
Lutheran West
Orange
Trinity

When the WRC joining the CVC makes sense (two options):

RIVER
Chardon
Kenston
Mayfield
North
Riverside
South

CHAGRIN
Chagrin Falls
Hawken
Lutheran West
Orange
Perry
West Geauga

LAKE
Conneaut
Edgewood
Geneva
Jefferson
Lakeside
Madison

VALLEY
Berkshire
Cardinal
Crestwood
Grand Valley
Harvey
Kirtland

METRO
Beachwood
Brooklyn
Cuyahoga Heights
Independence
Trinity
Wickliffe

CHAGRIN
Chardon
Kenston
Mayfield
North
Riverside
South
West Geauga

LAKE
Conneaut
Edgewood
Geneva
Jefferson
Lakeside
Perry
Madison

VALLEY
Berkshire
Cardinal
Crestwood
Grand Valley
Harvey
Hawken
Kirtland
Wickliffe

METRO
Beachwood
Brooklyn
Chagrin Falls
Cuyahoga Heights
Independence
Lutheran West
Orange
Trinity
Kirtland would destroy the Valley teams they have to be higher up.

Madison leaving the conference makes no sense for them as a program if they ever want to be a competitive Division II/III playoff team. Back when this thing was started, the PAC and now WRC, Madison was a VERY formidable foe. They've had some very successful seasons against some great competition, the last coming in 2015.

Just because they had a few rough years shouldn't equate to them "running" to a smaller division conference. Playing schools their size like Geneva, Lakeside, and West Geauga won't properly prepare them for what will come come playoff time when they have a decent team and win those games.

I just feel it's the wrong message to send to their athletes. Public school athletic success comes in waves for the most part (there are a few exceptions), and Madision has proven in the not so distant past that they can produce teams and athletes who can compete at the highest level of their Division. Those days are now officially gone moving to the CVC. I wish they would weather these less athletic classes and build a culture from the bottom up. I think they had the ability to do so.

Lastly, no way Aurora, Nordonia, or Solon seek WRC affiliation in my opinion. The only one that would be an outside shot would be Twinsburg. I have a feeling the WRC will either stay at 6 schools, or dispand. If it dispands I just hope they all don't go to the CVC.

The remaining WRC schools are a solid core with long time rivalries. I think both Aurora and Nordonia would consider moves to be in a competitive, 8-team football conference. I also think Solon and Euclid would consider leaving the GCC to align with schools closer to their size...not to mention on the same side of Cleveland.

Madison leaving the conference makes no sense for them as a program if they ever want to be a competitive Division II/III playoff team. Back when this thing was started, the PAC and now WRC, Madison was a VERY formidable foe. They've had some very successful seasons against some great competition, the last coming in 2015.

Just because they had a few rough years shouldn't equate to them "running" to a smaller division conference. Playing schools their size like Geneva, Lakeside, and West Geauga won't properly prepare them for what will come come playoff time when they have a decent team and win those games.

I just feel it's the wrong message to send to their athletes. Public school athletic success comes in waves for the most part (there are a few exceptions), and Madision has proven in the not so distant past that they can produce teams and athletes who can compete at the highest level of their Division. Those days are now officially gone moving to the CVC. I wish they would weather these less athletic classes and build a culture from the bottom up. I think they had the ability to do so.

Lastly, no way Aurora, Nordonia, or Solon seek WRC affiliation in my opinion. The only one that would be an outside shot would be Twinsburg. I have a feeling the WRC will either stay at 6 schools, or dispand. If it dispands I just hope they all don't go to the CVC.
Madison is stuck between a rock and a hard place in the WRC. They've been struggling competitively in football as one of the smaller schools and they will forever be the outlier geographically because South, North, and Mayfield made it clear when the WRC formed that Geneva was the furthest east they would go (hence why Lakeside was left out of the transition from the PAC to the WRC). Whomever the WRC adds, it would not benefit travel for Madison. The CVC does and they are now one of the largest schools. It's actually a no brainer. Their rivalries across sports with Perry and the old NEC schools are just as strong as their rivalries with Chardon, Riverside, North, and South.

Kenston has posted on the ohsaa for one-year football games in 2024. Maybe 2025 is the target year for new members?

For what it's worth, I noticed many of the WRC schools have already started building basketball schedules for next season. Bedford appears on a few of them as the only early non-conference game.

Last edited:
The WRC fans then think Shaker or Euclid or even Bedford. These schools do not align academically or diversity wise. Remember the reason Shaker left GCC? Situation not better in WRC. Euclid and Shaker are also division 1 in football, WRC is division 2-3. Finally WRC fans say merge with CVC. Why would CVC want this? Geneva was booted from former PAC, Lakeside not welcomed and Madison just left it. Bottom line WRC is stuck!!
I noticed on the LEL website that there are only five schools (including newly added Shaker) with boys soccer, swimming is not on the website at all, and 3 schools have golf. I wonder if Bedford has been active about applying for other leagues so they can align with schools that offer similar sports?

Geneva chose the CVC over the WRC when it formed in 2015. Lakeside and University School were left out.

Nordonia joined the SL in 2011, and won the conference title handily in 2014, on their way to a state title game loss to La Salle. So to do the math, that's at most, 5 straight senior classes without a conference title. Also, Nordonia never won the WRC-North in their 10 seasons there, but in that time, went to another state title game (2002) and made another state final 4 (2006); 3 state final 4's in 20 years.

Chardon and Kenston both made state title appearances in the 90s (and Chardon won one), but were essentially nothing-burgers from then until the last about the last 5 years. Unless you're a big Catholic, Mentor, Pickerington, or a MAC school, "cyclical" is a reality of life, and DOZENS of schools would kill for what Nordonia, Kenston, and Chardon have been able to do.

And I saw a TV replay of that Riverside-Nordonia game; you guys definitely came out that night; props on that.

In my experience, you don't make moves like this unless you HAVE to (And in previous eras of conference realignment, Nordonia's almost always been in a situation where they had to make a move, or felt like they did). Especially with the expanded playoffs, Nordonia does not HAVE to make any move at all, which is why I think even the suggestion that they could do so is ludicrous, and brought up the all-sports travel backup as support. Sure, Madison just pulled a surprise, but they have a long history with the soon-to-be CVC-Lake schools going back to the old old NEC. Nordonia doesn't have that with the current WRC schools, outside of Mayfield. The WRC adding Nordonia (or Twinsburg or Aurora) is simply a hypothetical pipe dream.
Between 94 and 16 going by your saying last 5 yrs. 11 playoff appearances 3 Semi final teams and 1 runner up. That's a nothing-burger? You are a tough critic

Last edited:
Between 94 and 16 going by your saying last 5 yrs. 11 playoff appearances 3 Semi final teams and 1 runner up. That's a nothing-burger? You are a tough critic
Perhaps in the way I wrote it I wasn't clear enough. I'm not including that awesome run in the 90's in that. According to my records, from 1999-2015, Chardon went 100-70 in the regular season, with only 4 playoff appearances in that 17-year span. Better than average, and there was another state final 4 in there, but nothing to write home about, especially when it's sandwiched by their current run and '93-'98.

Perhaps in the way I wrote it I wasn't clear enough. I'm not including that awesome run in the 90's in that. According to my records, from 1999-2015, Chardon went 100-70 in the regular season, with only 4 playoff appearances in that 17-year span. Better than average, and there was another state final 4 in there, but nothing to write home about, especially when it's sandwiched by their current run and '93-'98.
2001 regional runner up
2003 final 4
2006 regional runner up
2012 regional runner up
2014 first round runner up
2015 first round runner up

Yeah there were some lean years. But also some very good teams. Won't see any of those lean years anytime soon.

According to preliminary enrollment numbers, Solon has dropped below Riverside's boys enrollment. With Madison leaving, will we see Solon apply?

Dude give it up, WRC is dead!! Other schools are rumored to be leaving soon. Riverside is stuck with no real place to go. Independent days are about to be the reality unless they want to move into GCC which I doubt. Suburban Conference will be too far away and CVC is too small enrollment wise. They’re stuck!!!

Dude give it up, WRC is dead!! Other schools are rumored to be leaving soon. Riverside is stuck with no real place to go. Independent days are about to be the reality unless they want to move into GCC which I doubt. Suburban Conference will be too far away and CVC is too small enrollment wise. They’re stuck!!!
Who is leaving and where if you really have anything? Or is this just you shooting your mouth off once again ...

You’ll see, just be patient. As for who, the two are very obvious if you think about it.
Anyone can make statements like this. Tell us who and where or I'll just assume you are popping off to try to antagonize like you do all the time.

You can pm me if you don't want it public.

You’ll see, just be patient. As for who, the two are very obvious if you think about it.
The one that might seem most obvious if anyone were to leave is Kenston (or Mayfield) to the Suburban, if that was an invitation that was made.

North, South, Chardon, and Riverside have been together for a while. I can’t see another league making sense for those four.